6317 College Ave.
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://woodtavern.net/
- Phone: 5106546607
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Maximilian DiMare
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate up to 28 for semi-private parties. For buy-outs the Tavern can accommodate up to 40 for sit-down dinner. Contact restaurant directly for information.
A word from Wood Tavern
Wood Tavern is nestled into a charming neighborhood shopping district on bustling College Avenue. Serving a hearty American Brasserie style menu. The contemporary loft- like space houses a dining room filled with "butcher block' tables, a comfy, copper topped bar and a chef's counter where you can dine watching the chef in action.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Wood Tavern - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Wood Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (89)neighborhood gem (85)great for lunch (65)special occasion (41)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (28)notable wine list (24)romantic (18)great for brunch (15)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Lunch.... not dinnerserve2allVIPDined on 8/26/2014Had a wonderful lunch here (fried cod sandwich and salmon)and decided to go back for dinner. Night and Day. Our cocktails seemed to take way too long to come. The salad and chicken liver pate were both good. What was terribly disappointing was my duck breast entree...RARE duck breast? NO!!! Then we all shared the cholate sundae dessert and inquired if it really was ice cream...the taste was just not what good housemade ice cream should taste like. I should have sent back the duck but it was a birthday dinner and did not want to spoil the fun. The dinner was over $60 each and in my humble opinion, just not worth it. Recently had duck breast at Cafe Chez Panisse that was spectacular. So, if your going to Berkeley, Alice still rules!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/25/2014I liked it very much in every respect except one: a tv above the bar?! Are you kidding me?Special Features:
- just too noisyblackberryDined on 8/21/2014If only there were not so many hard surfaces bouncing noise around, this would be a great place. Even without the construction noise this place is too noisy for any real conversation. We leave feeling exhausted with strained voices. We only go when invited by friends; it is never our choice for this reason.
- "TOP DRAWER" restaurant East Bayserve2allVIPDined on 8/20/2014Birthday lunch here was excellent. Salmon lunch and Fried Cod sandwich...amazing. Bartender knows how to make a drink. Service very good. A bit noisy, but the food, ambiance and drinks were perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Saturday lunchAcedVIPDined on 8/16/2014As always, the cod sandwich was wonderful and the pork belly had a nice summer preparation. Enjoyable, we've been many times and will continue to come.Special Features:
- Great food amidst the noisedutchVIPDined on 8/11/2014This restaurant continues to put out really delicious food, and the service is quite fine. I just wish it were not so incredibly noisy! Difficult to have a conversation without leaning towards your tablemates and speaking very loudly. Oh well, I will continue to go here because of the wonderful food.Special Features:
- wood tavernjnorcalDined on 8/11/2014always delicious, fantastic burger and fries, but man, it was monday for lunch and packed, even when we left packed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerfoodforsoulDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I dined here for our anniversary and it really was one to remember. Although I didn't get the romantic table (one by the window) that I'd requested because of the special day, the food definitely made up for it. My husband's pork chop and my halibut were cooked to absolute perfection. I purposely never finish all of my food insuring I have leftovers for the next day; at Wood Tavern this was not the case. I cleaned my plate and would have welcomed another piece of the flawless halibut save for not wanting to look like a pig!Special Features:
- Birthday LunchEnjoymentDined on 8/5/2014I made reservations and specified I was bringing a friend for her 65th birthday. When I have done this before my guest got a candle in the dessert we ordered. I have always paid for the dessert and thought at least there would be a candle this time. I was not about to question the staff, infront of my guest, about the candle. Was this too much to ask for? There was lots of outside noise though, from the construction across the street, but that is not the restaurant's fault. Otherwise we had a nice lunch and visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!jayzmommVIPDined on 8/4/2014Wood Tavern was the perfect place to celebrate our anniversary. It is a small place but has the best food in the East Bay! Service was impeccable from the hostess to the server and everyone we encountered. The menu offers just enough choices but is not overwhelming and all ingredients are fresh and flavorful. Every bite was delicious and the sauces were just unbelievable. It was such an enjoyable evening. Great lively atmosphere!Special Features:
- Food took a while to arriveOaklandGABDined on 8/3/2014I ordered the pork chop and they said it takes a while. I still wasn't prepared to wait 35 minutes for my dinner to arrive. When it did arrive it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bustling for lunchPrimodomDined on 8/1/2014Good food, very busy for lunch. Too loud to have a decent conversation.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Very good food, but the restaurant is very noisy. We sat in a table that is in the middle of the restaurant. In order to hear each other, we had to raise our voice volume three time as high as we would normally talk.Special Features:
- Good, but..OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014Had to wait about 15 minutes past our reservation time to be seated, but the hostess treated us with complimentary champagne as a consolation - nice touch. We started with the whiskey laced chicken liver pate - very good, as well as a blue cheese - the waiter picked up on our request for no bread and asked if we'd like gluten free crackers with the pate/cheese - also a nice touch. The maple duck breast was excellent as was the Manhattan from the bar. The burger was good, but the fries could use some work. Overall a nice spot for good food, but crowded and a bit hot as a result - close tables can make conversation a bit hard and be distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014A favorite place of mine but just too noisy to enjoy food or friends. Such a shame.
- Consistently excellentPHcoupleVIPDined on 7/22/2014We've been going to Wood Tavern right from when they opened 8 years ago. The short lunch and dinner menus feature creative, changing items plus the favorites that make this such a neighborhood, and now regional, must go destination. The lunch burger is unsurpassed in juicy taste, nestled in a baguette bun from equally famous La Farine Bakery next door. Comes with huge order of crispy fries. Wood Tavern maintains a good wine and beer list, features unique, changing menu items, and has a family vibe despite being super-busy lunch and dinner. There's no better place to have a great meal in Oakland/Berkeley!Special Features:
- Why the long reservation time????OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2014There are so many more restaurants in the Oakland area that do not have a '3 month' waiting list for reservations. That is totally INSANE as Wood Tavern is not a 'five star' eatery. Yes, the food is good, but not spectacular. If your restaurant was located on at area with an ocean or moutain view, I could then understand the reservation wait list....but, that's not the case with this little restaurant located on College Avenue. Need to become more real folks!
- Great food in fun atmosphereFoodie84VIPDined on 7/19/2014Been a longtime Wood Tavern fan. Whether for lunch, mid day or dinner, this neighborhood gem never disappoints.Special Features:
- WanderingpalateWanderingpalateDined on 7/19/2014We arrived early on a Saturday afternoon. Although we had an later reservation, they seated us immediately. Our server was very professional and got our drinks quickly. We ordered the pork belly and chicken pate appetizers. The pork belly is crunchy on top and very savory with a delicious bed of spicy lentils. The chicken pate was smooth and accompanied by tasty mustard and fruit compote. I had a wonderful seafood stew with a great broth and very fresh fish and clams. My friend had the rare salmon and salad which she said was really good also. Our only complaint is about the noise level. I would suggest getting there early, so that you can talk before eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much too noisyPatronDined on 7/17/2014The place was so loud that we couldn't converse at all--I went for lunch with an old friend I hadn't seen for a long time. The acoustics alone are bad enough, but when loud music is added it's impossible. Even though the food was good and the server was pleasant, I would not go back--there are plenty of places where the food is good and the noise level is reasonable. Your form says "energetic" for the top noise level--I needed a "deafening" box to check!
- Great FoodlovetodineoutDined on 7/17/2014I took my daughter there for her birthday (40 something....) and we had a delightful experience. Food outstanding, service friendly.Special Features:
- kind of disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/14/2014Not sure what I was expecting, but the food wasn't as amazing as I'd hoped and the service was not very great. We were jostled by the server and the busboy several times, so it is probably a space planning problem.
- Wood TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2014The best gazpacho I have ever had in a restaurant!Special Features:
- MojooVIPDined on 7/13/2014Yummy, delicious pork chops! Savory....best ever! Loved the berry trifle dessert! Excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodlovetoeatDined on 7/9/2014Every dish was very flavorful. Beer-battered string beans as an appetizer was surprisingly light. Pork was juicy and tender, ribeye was perfectly cooked and duck was a little dry but flavorful. The portion size of the duck was on the skimpy side. Overall, the service was great as our water glasses were always filled. Yet, the water was lukewarm...I don't know why they don't use ice in the water. We did not order dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Restaurant - Wood TavernEnjoymentDined on 7/9/2014What a wonderful place for lunch. We requested a window table and got it. My party was so delighted. The food was fabulous and the staff was very accommodating. Could not have asked for a better experience. Cannot wait to go back - maybe for dinner next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before the A's gameDavisdudesDined on 7/7/2014Discovered Wood Travern on line when looking for a place in Berkley for early dinner before 7 pm A's game. They were great to seat us early and we started with appetizers, then right at 5:30 our dinner order went in. Duck, hanger steak and fish. All wonderful. We left our car in front and six blocks away caught Bart to coliseum in time for game. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the wait...OAKPORTVIPDined on 7/2/2014After many months to get a reservation it was found to be well worth the wait. An enjoyable dinner for two with the perfectly recommended wine selection to match our choices in meals - topped off by a great dessert. The staff is very knowledgeable in the food selections and wine pairings making the experience all the better. Never felt rushed to get through our meal allowing us to enjoy this perfect neighborhood treat. Make your reservations today.Special Features:
- Unbelievable foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/1/2014Everything we ate was absolutely fantastic. You could tell that the restaurant took great care with the selection and preparation of every individual ingredient from appetizers to entrees through dessert. No chicken dish has a right to be so delicious!Special Features:
- NicknameDined on 7/1/2014The restaurant is quite a distance from our home, but well worth the trip. The menu is small, albeit very well chosen with something for everyone and so beautifully presented and deliciously prepared. Their signature dish of pork chops is understandably so. I stay away from pork chops because it is normally dry and chewy--not so here. The meat is brined and comes out very moist and tender. Although the restaurant was very noisy and crowded, the service was never lacking--ever so friendly and accommodating. Highly recommended if you're lucky enough to snag a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great ExperiencebeermeDined on 6/29/2014Consistently one of my favorite places to go with my wife. We've had lunch and dinner here, both are always great, drinks are awesome, can't say enough about how much I enjoy a nice meal here.Special Features:
- Terrific!SnackMacDined on 6/26/2014three members of my group had never been to Wood Tavern and they were suitably impressed! We trekked all the way across the bay on my recommendation and y'all did not disappoint! Fine food, excellent staff including hostess/manager who both handled a special request with professional efficiency.Special Features:
- Simply, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2014Love this place. They get the details right. Nothing over the top fancy, but great energetic atmosphere, and they deliver exquisite tastes with a consistently positive experience.Special Features:
- Delicious and great valueUCity63Dined on 6/16/2014Wood Tavern remins a great value for the price. Portions of their delicious food are generous and hearty. The tomato and roasted red pepper soup and the chopped salad were both very task and satisfying. The pork chop was good, though a bit overdone, and the halibut could have used a bit more seasoning.The burrata with peaches and pesto starter made a fantastic dessert, instead of the cheese plate. As usual, the wines are very good here.Special Features:
- Good Little Neighborhood ResturantDavidssun123Dined on 6/16/2014We had eaten at their sister restaurant next door Southie and wanted to check out Wood Tavern for awhile. Food was very good, pork chop and Pavlova were awesome!! Lark was our server and she was very good(and cute :P). She's was very knowledgeable and knew just when to come by when we needed something. Only downside is the place can get pretty loud making it hard to talk. Overall had a great meal and a good experience!Special Features:
- Reliably GoodMizzbeDined on 6/13/2014I eat here often as the kitchen seems to be consistently good. The hot pastrami sandwich is unsurpassed, and way too big for one person, even someone with a man-sized appetite. Either share it or have it as an entree. Tables close to the windows tend to be less noisy.Special Features:
- DeliciousFlydriveeatDined on 6/12/2014Well there's a reason it's hard to get a reservation, the food is delicious and beautifully presented. The menu carefully curated so there's something for most palates. We made great use of our server's knowledge for dish decisions and wine picks. The service was impeccable and the whole team worked together to make it a great meal. Highly recommend and can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch DateMikeDined on 6/12/2014Enjoyed perfectly prepared swordfish with a Manhattan. Prompt service during a lunch hour rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oakland's Best!PhoodiePhatDined on 6/11/2014I have been coming to Wood Tavern for more than 4 years and it is the most consistently excellent in Oakland. I have never had a bad dish or bad service weather I sit at the bar (full menu) or had table service. The wine list is not what you'd expect (in a good way). A lot of European style varitals. I had the duck breast on Wednesday and it was the best prep of DB I have ever had (if it's on a menu at a good restaraunt I ususally get it). The owners are awesome and will usually come by your table to see how everything is going with your experience. Long story short, this is my favorite place in OAK. You will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Wine SnobDennisDined on 6/11/2014Great wine service for the 2 California cult wines we brought in. Reidel glasses and the whole nine yards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.