3335 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.woodchicago.com/
- Phone: 7739359663
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ashlee Aubin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can be booked for private event any day of the week for 3 hours or the entire evening with different pricing depending on the hours and day of the event. We offer full menu and/or passed hors d'oeuvres that can include open bar to tab bar.
- Private Party Contact: Franco Gianni 7739359663
- Cross Street: Halsted & Buckingham
- Public Transit: Red-line at Belmont or Addison el stop putting you approx. 6 blocks from Wood from either stop.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Currently there is street parking and valet just 3 doors north on Halsted. Valet service will be available starting in September on Thurs-Saturday evenings.
A word from Wood
From the kitchen to the bar, everything we serve is defined by a passion for exploring unique flavor combinations. Wood is more than a name: our wood-fired oven is at the heart of it all, mustering a dynamic menu of small-plate, American fare, made with the best ingredients the season has to offer. Though the dishes regularly change, they are defined by a few constants: meat is butchered in-house from humanely-raised animals; vegetables are drawn from family farms like Green Acres (North Judson, IN), Three Sisters (Kankakee, IL), and Spence Farm (Fairbury, IL); herbs are picked directly from Wood’s private garden; and all pasta and sausage are freshly made, straight from the Wood kitchen to the plate. We bring the same attention to quality and taste to Backwoods, our late-night Belgian fry pick-up window. Made from hand-cut Kennebec potatoes, twice-fried in the traditional Belgian style, and served with your choice of a dozen different house-made sauces, these aren’t your average fContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Wood reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (116)fit for foodies (112)great for outdoor dining (104)special occasion (66)romantic (57)vibrant bar scene (52)hot spot (45)notable wine list (43)great for brunch (24)good for groups (20)late-night find (16)scenic view (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Wood - Excellent FoodJohnVIPDined on 9/15/2014We have enjoyed dinner here about 15x and the food is always exceptional. Our recent service was fair at best. We were asked to order all at one (no starters first), as the kitchen prefers to have complete orders at once. This was new to us. The server brought us an appetizer we didn't order and a few minutes later he came back and removed it mentioning it was probably for another table. The table next to us received brunch menu's instead of dinner. We all left saying we loved the food but felt the service was off that night. We'll go back but we'll hope for a better waiter.
- Excellent, always!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014Consistency excellent! They have the best kitchen staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully prepared foodEdgewaterResidentx2Dined on 9/9/2014Very masculine, classy decor. Current-to-modern feel. Smells faintly of wood smoke. Smartly dressed, attentive staff. The food is obviously made with a lot of love and attention. I had the Duck, my partner the Roast Pork Loin. I preferred her's. Lot's of bright green vegetable flavors against the savory pork. Striking, fresh contrast. Found the reduction for my duck to be a too salty(soy?); the bok choy helped cut the salt, but not enough for my taste. The duck how ever was perfectly cooked. Very nice cocktails. Didn't see a whiskey menu. Maybe I missed it? In a place that has this kind of bold, smokey -well, woody- masculine feel a brown liquor menu would go far.Special Features:
- Great Monday evening dinnerChristmasEveDinerDined on 9/8/2014We had a wonderful meal, great to catch up with a dear friend. The server was conscious of that and we appreciated that. he was very knowledgeable of the food and especially the wine. We all enjoyed the meal very much. Will definitely be back to try more!!Special Features:
- Awesome food all the time!KByumVIPDined on 9/6/2014Wood is really wonderful. We were seated promptly at a great table for our party of 4. The waiter, Kevin, was very friendly, and recommended some great drinks. we shared 2 large plates, several small plates and a dessert. The room was fun and energized. food was delicious, especially the carrot Agnolotti. Go! You'll be happy you did.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodpmbkinderDined on 9/6/2014Truly wonderful dishes that mix just the right blend of flavors and textures. Everyone in our party of five had a different main course and each was inventive and delicous. Wood is truly a treat!Special Features:
- Wood is fun and chicDouganandaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Wood well deserves its award as a Michelin Bib Gourmand recommended spot. It is a sleek and chic restaurant that has something delicious for all, omnivore or vegan both. The staff is charming and attentive. The outdoor tables and the big plate glass windows offer up some fun people-watching along the colorful Halstead location, an extra bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERB MEALdrummer5Dined on 9/2/2014From the wine to the amuse bouche to the entries to dessert, the food was superb. Flavorable, complex and satisfying without being overly fussy.Special Features:
- Poor service and lack of attentionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Over a two hour meal the server stopped by our table only once or twice. Knowing I was a vegetarian he failed to mention that two of the dishes we ordered contained bacon, which was not noted on the menu.Special Features:
- Great Food, But....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014We went for our anniversary. The food really was outstanding and the outdoor patio lovely on a warm summer evening. The service, however, left a lot to be desired. I don't believe the host ever said a word to us while seating us. Our drinks were slow to arrive, and it took an unreasonably long time for the food. We requested bread so we could get every drop of the delectable sauces on our small plates; even that took 10 minutes. The desserts took so long that we cancelled our order. (They apologized and graciously provided one complimentary dessert to go.) I'd love to return to enjoy their delicious, fresh, inventive food but would hesitate because the service issues spoiled the over-all experience.Special Features:
- SummarywiseowlDined on 8/23/2014Artistic, subtle items. Highly recommend the carrot appetizer, duck breast and chocolate dessert. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- YummyAplusDined on 8/17/2014We started with steak tartar, scallops and tart flambé all were delicious. Special shout out to the steak tartar. For dinner we had the chicken and the filet of beef and out of that round the chicken was amazing. Super moist. I was in the mood for a glass of wine and the waiter recommended the gruner, fantastic. Exactly what I was craving. Overall great experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming neighborhood spothelperDined on 8/16/2014Enjoyable, although pricey. Great for special occasions.Special Features:
- Delish!JennyDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed everything, from the starters to dessert. Our main course was so fresh and full of flavor. We will go back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nicejfkpittVIPDined on 8/15/2014Delicious. Superb (but pricey) wine list. Really delicious wine. The maitre d' was not especially friendly, but he was ok. The waiter and support staff were excellent. I would return. Great food.Special Features:
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014Great place to dine outside and people watch. Located at corner of Buckingham and halsted in Boystown. The outside dining is on the quiet, neighborhood side of the restaurant, but close to the action on Halsted. There was nothing "wrong" with the food or service, but expected a more polished service and better food for the price. At $90 per person for cocktail, starter, entree, a glass of wine and coffee I expected more.Special Features:
- One of the best ever....SharonDined on 8/15/2014Unbelievably wonderful meal. Food inventive, extremely flavorful, and beautifully presented. The staff is amazingly helpful, courteous, and unobtrusive. The two of us, who are women with healthy appetites, shared two smal plates (pasta stuffed with a carrot purée & heirloom tomato salad) and two large plates (red snapper with a delicious light seasoned dusting & short ribs). For dessert we shared the "Chocolate dessert" which was heavenly with so many great flavors that blended beautifully. Would return and recommend without reservation. Pricey but never mind when the experience is this good. Only addition I would suggest is adding a full bodied Chardonnay otherwise the wine list was quite nice. A real "10" & the worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find!askpegVIPDined on 8/14/2014The three in our party were unanimous in thinking Wood is a little gem of a restaurant! The staff, from the fun and savvy host to the attentive and personable waitperson, Mark, to the clubby décor, to the raison d'etre, the exceptional food. The three entrees chosen at the table were the beautiful tenderloin, the luxurious chicken breast and gnocchi, and the perfectly seared scallops. Starters were buratta caprese salad, and the magical agnolotti with carrot filling and wild mushrooms. Totally satisfying experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made out anniversary great!gtoles24Dined on 8/13/2014My boyfriend and I came here for our anniversary and couldn't have been happier. Every aspect of our experience was on point. The server was super helpful at helping us choose both food and wine and was extremely knowledgeable about his product. The food is some of the best we have ever had in the city. The charcuterie was great, especially the chicken liver mosse. We did a couple small plates and shared and it was a perfect portion after the charcuterie and left just enough room for dessert. Would for sure recommend this to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WoodJohnBCVIPDined on 8/10/2014I am a regular at Wood and have been dining here since it opened. Expectations regarding food and service were exceeded, as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halsted Street Market Daysrarelyeatout1Dined on 8/10/2014The title tells most of the story. My observation and only comment is the restaurant is designed to maximize the ambient noise level. Wood floors, hard walls, glass windows, mirrors, and hard surfaces in the ceiling. Barely a sound damping material in the place, e.g., table cloths and the patrons clothing. I understand that some people feel that a high ambient noise level to be a characteristic of a happening place, but we had to shout to be understood across the table (hardly romantic). I recognize that because of Market Days it had a more boisterous crowd than usual. But carpeting, heavy drapes, wall hangings, and an acoustical treatment to the ceiling would bring the noise level down to what I expect for fine dining.Special Features:
- Tale of two restaurantsDurodVIPDined on 8/8/2014I think of Wood as two restaurants. They have lovely outdoor seating along a tree-lined residential street. Dinner was relaxing. Inside seems much less relaxing. The music is loud with the ambience of a bar. Both outside and inside are very nice, but it truly is a tale of two restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting food and good servicecurlyheadDined on 8/7/2014They have a vegetarian menu, ask for it. Favorite dishes were scallops, Carrot Agnolotti, flatbread. Our server was knowledgeable and attentive. We enjoyed the outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Comfortably deliciousMkdineDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I went there for 15th anniversary after seeing on "check please" (as did the ladies at the next table). Tables are close together, but restaurant was not crowded when we were there (6:30 on Thursday). Service is friendly and very knowledgable. Menu seems a little short (8? starters + 10?? Entrees) but good selection, as with the wine list. Didn't love dessert (chocolate mousse? W/raspberry sorbet and some sort of granola-ish crumble). Owner was present and very "hands-on". Beautiful covered & lit patio. Would love to go back with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wood is worth it!ChicagoGirlDined on 8/6/2014Wood Restaurant on Halsted was wonderful! Excellent cocktails! Really good food and service. A bit pricy and portions are small however everything is very very good! Definitely recommend and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingrichieDined on 8/4/2014Food was excellent, but portions were extremely small, for $28. entrees....no bread service. Waiter came by once, and asked us how the food was, but never came back to refill water, never asked us if we wanted a 2nd drink, or offer dessert menu. We wont be back.
- Now, I have Wood...JakeRohnDined on 8/3/2014...as my go to restaurant when entertaining out-of-town friends. Best restaurant experience in quite a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun neighborhood placechicagoanDined on 8/3/2014Wood is a fun place in the heart of Lakeview. They have great mixologists who are creative. Small plates are inventive, but a but pricey. Been there for dinner three times, and brunch once. Recommend dinner.Special Features:
- First try not so good ...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014I came here for brunch with 2 of my friends for my birthday. The service was slow, the food was just OK and the food was almost cold when it arrived. I ordered the veggie breakfast. It wasn't bad. It didn't have very much cheese and the potatoes were generic. The spinach on top was tasty. I've heard good things for dinner so I would give it another try. The ambiance was beautiful though.Special Features:
- UnimpressedNomNom707Dined on 8/2/2014With having a Michelin award I expected the service, atmosphere and the food, of course, to be top notch. When we arrived for our table-for-2 reservation we were immediately told there was no outdoor seating at the moment, however there were 5 or more tables visibly available. Nonetheless, we were seated and our waiter was very brief and short with us as if to rush our dining experience. Our drinks came and shortly as we ordered out main course- neither of which was overly impressive. Let's me just say, that upon booking the reso my expectations were high and was quite excited to try it out since it was in my neighborhood; however I know now that I will not go back or ever pass along the recommendation.
- Great brunch spotJojoDined on 7/27/2014Had a wonderful brunch, loved the decor good vibe. Only one little problem, the pork belly sandwich was too fatty, and the fries were way too salty.Special Features:
- WoodFoodie4everDined on 7/26/2014Brilliant chefs with brilliant ideas. Got the tasting menu and was blown away. Both my girlfriend and I were extremely impressed with the waiters and chefs. Beautiful outside area to sit and enjoy a nice dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fire department optionaldubbayewDined on 7/26/2014Great experience family ... Adult son & daughter with wife for her birthday celebration ... Loud arrival of multiple fire engines for fire response down the street during our meal did not interrupt an enjoyable dining experience with attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- Amazing!CasperVIPDined on 7/26/2014I may be biased as this is my favorite restaurant, but I had dinner here for my birthday and was blown away. The menu changes, but the current Filet of Beef is out of this world delicious!!! I couldn't believe all the different flavors and how well they worked together. Not to mention the filet was cooked to perfection. Friendly staff and good drinks to match. Love this place!!!Special Features:
- Love The PlaceSatirical2003Dined on 7/25/2014I just love the Wood Bar. Great service, drinks, and the food. The flatbread is now my most favorite small plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Following OrdersLotharVIPDined on 7/21/2014Ordered a starter before placing the balance of the order. Server almost demanded that everything be ordered at once. Informed the server that we did not want to be rushed (the restaurant was nearly empty). Ordered the balance of the meal -- a couple of small plates and a couple of large plates -- while waiting for the starter. One of the (hot) small plates was delivered almost instantly -- well before the (cold) starter. Restaurants that rely on the small plates concept to accommodate an under-sized, less-than-well-organized kitchen need to learn that sometimes customers know what they are doing when they order in stages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food - worst serviceXfitChciagoVIPDined on 7/20/2014I visited this restaurant with 3 friends for Sunday brunch. The food was okay, but the service was terrible. Not only did the waitress forget to put in our appetizer, but nearly every part of our meal was somehow messed up. At one point, I needed to get up from my table and wait at the bar for service. The table next to us was seated, waited for 10 minutes (with no server), and got up to leave.
- PHENOMENALAntoinetteVIPDined on 7/19/2014Wood was a great experience! !! The food was unique and delicious!! Would highly recommend Wood!! Will definitely be going back!! Our server was very hospitable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NIce experienceMarcusmdDined on 7/18/2014We had dinner at Wood prior to the Billy Joel concert. Because of traffic, we were late for our reserved table but ate at the bar. The staff was great in trying to accommodate us, making us feel welcome at all times. The space was warm and comfortable, the service was fantastic and the food was very good. We enjoyed small plates , including 2 pasta dishes, a scallop preparation, and a flatbread.....all tasty though not outstanding or unique. Overall it was an enjoyable experience for a pre-concert meal and I would return if I had reason to be in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What wood I not have!DrLarryVIPDined on 7/17/2014Great neighborhood gem! Everything we tried was superbly executed. My partner is vegetarian and the polenta with mushrooms sent him into the Woods!Special Features: