Wolfdale's Cuisine Unique
640 North Lake Blvd.
Tahoe City, CA 96145Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Wolfdale's Cuisine Unique
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wolfdales.com/
- Phone: 5305835700
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: 5:00 pm - Close. Dinner: 5:30 pm - Close. Closed Tuesdays, except in July and August open nightly.
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Californian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Douglas Dale
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The dining room and/or bar area can be partially reserved or completely bought-out for large groups throughout the year. During the summer months there is a courtyard with a bocce ball court that can also be reserved for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Douglas Dale 5305835700
A word from Wolfdale's Cuisine Unique
North Lake Tahoe’s premiere restaurant and popular bar offers lake view dining with excellent ambiance and service. Wolfdale's Restaurant uses 'Cuisine Unique' to describe the fresh food prepared simply and aesthetically. Since opening in 1978, Chef Douglas Dale has developed the style of East-West cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Wolfdale's Cuisine Unique - Best Restaurants in Tahoe City ›
Wolfdale's Cuisine Unique reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (54)scenic view (53)fit for foodies (51)great for outdoor dining (40)romantic (40)notable wine list (24)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Another Nice Dinner at WolfiesfoodforthoughtVIPDined on 9/24/2014Consistent good quality food in a nice lake view location. Christie did a good service job, and it was always great to see Bob, the most experienced guy in the place. We shared the cones and then went for filet and risotto with a side of truffle fries. All very tasty, as usual. Only criticism is that after eating here 10 years, wish the menu would change more.Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceLocalDined on 9/19/2014Half full restaurant - Seated with menu/no wine list. When server showed up 10 min later, we had to ask for wine list and she disappeared again - another long wait. Server was incredibly snotty when reappearing. We asked some questions about the menu and she obviously didn't know and was irritated when we politely asked if she would mind checking with the kitchen for specifics. She came back and it went downhill from there. At one point (we didn't notice there was a bottle of water on the table since it was small and crowded with items), we asked for water refills and she replied testily that it was on the table. I could go on but needless to say, our evening was not the lovely dining experience we had come for. Risotto was lukewarm.
- Overall the food was deliciousMinWestDined on 9/18/2014I had the halibut, which was very good but what stood out was the side dishes. The flavor was amazing on the purple rice, cucumber salad and snap peas. My husband had the duck plate which was cooked to perfection! The leg was so tender and flavorful. I would definitely order both dishes again. My only complaint is there was not a lot to choose from when it came to gluten free desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wolfdale's stumbled slightlyMike873Dined on 9/12/2014The food was spotty. The appetizers were ordinary. The main dishes ranged from very good to outstanding. Special mention for the trout and potato pockets and the lobster and crab entre which were delicious. The service was mediocre. Possibly it was a function of out wait staff and not endemic to the restaurant. Nevertheless, Wolfdale's is a north Lake Tahoe gem. Highly recommend sunset dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Poor reservation mgmtFood4ThoughtDined on 8/31/2014We arrived 30 minutes early for our 8:30pm reservation, and we were seated at 9:15pm (75 minutes later). Our meal finally arrived at 10:00pm. This was the third time this had happened to us at this restaurant. The food was excellent. Wolfdale's carefully selects their ingredients, as well as their wines, and the flavors are exceptional. The restaurant offers a warm and inviting ambiance The bartenders are charismatic and attentive. The artwork is hand-selected, unique and elegant. And the best part is the dessert. It is a shame that they cannot manage the timing of their reservations and seating better. While the food is great, we will not return to Wolfdale's. Every time we go, we end up hungry, tired and frustrated...Special Features:
- Outstanding food, service & settinglxvetteVIPDined on 8/31/2014First time here after living in the area for many years. On our list now. Great food, service and beautiful views.Special Features:
- Good But Not GreatCAtlcVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is apparently considered one of Lake Tahoe's most popular dining destinations, based on the crowd and difficulty getting seated even with a reservation. The menu is a "fusion" of American and Asian cuisines, which may be considered unique for Lake Tahoe, but considering the prices would not measure up to a similar menu in the Bay Area with similar prices.Special Features:
- OutstandingDiscriminatingDinerDined on 8/22/2014Never ceases to amaze us with the creativity & unique tastes and presentation. Have been dining here for many years and are never disappointed. This time it was Sweet Corn Chowder with lobster, crab claws, tempura blossom & mushrooms. Douglas is a Master at subtle blending of flavors that delight the taste buds. Cannot recommend more highly. Competent, informed, friendly staff complements experience. AND a great view of Lake Tahoe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seating recommendationLambsharkDined on 8/21/2014The food was good and very well prepared. The seating was disappointing. We were a party of two and were seated along the west wall in a corner. There was NO view. I looked at a blank wall and my wife had a view of the dining room. Not the restaurant's fault but an internet alert went off in the middle of dinner and beeps and buzzing was all over the room. The party next to us were playing video's on their phones which I felt rude. Good place but next time will call instaed of making the reservation through Open Table. Seems the seating is often less desirable when booked on-line. Would have liked the option to have dined on the deck but wasn't offered.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining Experience2newbiesVIPDined on 8/19/2014First time visit and certainly won't be the last! Intimate bar setting with great cocktails and eats. Inside dining was elegant and wait staff attentive. Food items were innovative and absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to tastyLeeweeDined on 8/18/2014Server was friendly and knowledgable. Food was cold when served and my order of halibut was not very appealing or tasty for the cost, $33.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014We love it, the food is special, service great, we have never been disappointed over many years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014First time experience with soft shell crab tempura-style was positively memorable. It's dipping sauce was excellent. As was the braised lamb shanks and the table service from Andy(?). Ambiance: we found an artist (paintings) that appeal to us very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring Plenty of CashStrangeDined on 8/8/2014I was surprised that a restaurant as expensive as Wolfdale's does not accept all major credit cards. They must be trying to save the one percent higher credit card processing fee that companies like American Express charge. That is $2 on a $200 bill. I wonder where else they are cutting back to make an extra buck. In any case, the food was great and so was the service.Special Features:
- Wolfdale's - Always consistent.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/7/2014Always consistently creative, appealing and delicious food, in elegant restaurant with top notch service, a winner every time.Special Features:
- Eat1out1alotDined on 8/4/2014Wolfdales is a beautiful restaurant in the center of Tahoe city. As you enter it has a very warm and inviting atmosphere. The staff is very professional and attentive. I look forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not BadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014Seems to be a local joint but good food and service. Delivery of food was slow but not intolerable. I had the Seafood Stew which I would have again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WestsideDinerDined on 7/24/2014We've dined at Wolfdale's many times over the years. Currently it would not be a first choice. the atmosphere was nice with a view of the Lake and the bocce tournament below. (note to kitchen: the players alternately use the forks on platters as serving devices and as personal forks (yuck). The menu descriptions sounded lovely and delicious. In reality they failed to deliver.The flavors that sounded delicious were pretty dull. Further, I feel thatchefs who omit salt shakers on the table are a bit pompous - assuming their taste is perfect for everyone. I have a low sodium and like to use a touch of salt on many mealsl. Nice wine selection but Pinot noir came out the temperature for S. Blanc. Never did open upen up.
- Delicious and enjoyableSpacepunkDined on 7/23/2014Our waiter Kevin was outstanding. He was attentive and friendly and well versed in the menu and the wine list, really understanding food pairings which is a big deal for me. The ahi cones and the scallops and the summer squash soup were truly unique and flavorful and amazing. We had quail and short rib for entrees. They were great, but if anything a little bland compared to our starters. That said - who wants a total flavor blast course after course. It was just right. And dessert - perfect finish. My husband and I truly enjoyed our "foodie" experience at Wolfdale's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Tahoe Must!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014Wolfdale's is one of if not the best restaurant in Lake Tahoe (North Shore). If you are looking for a great dinner with a beautiful view of Lake Tahoe, you must visit Wolfdale's. It is also a great place for a special occasion. We feel the price is very reasonable considering the quality of the ingredients, the location, the service and the taste.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerFuntimesaheadDined on 7/21/2014We had a lovely time for my daughters 21st! The food quality was divine with portions & flavor combinations perfect! We got a little chilly outside towards the end of our meal. The service staff was attentive to your wishes! I loved the different plates and food presentation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- careful how you reservearchbearDined on 7/18/2014I object to being seated at the worst table in the restaurant despite reserving early and arriving early. I can only conclude that reserving on Open Table puts you at the end of the line. I will never use Open Table to reserve at this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Snobby does not float....RedcarceoVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have dined at Wolfdales many times. Usually we are greeted in a welcoming, dignified manner. This time was an exception. Despite having made the reservation several days in advance, asking for an inside, window table, we did not get it. Yet two such tables sat empty the ENTIRE time we were there. They attempted to seat us in a noisy bar. While we typically only dine here 4-6 times a year when we visit, we do introduce our guests to the restaurant while we are on vacation. We may not look like we are BIG spenders and the snooty local clientele that were given priority! Yet, both couples in our party are multimillionaires & company owners ourselves . Don't judge a book by its cover.....you will toss out volumes of future business.
- We Never Miss Wolfdale's!NaplesFoodieDined on 7/16/2014We rent a home in Tahoe City in July every year and we ALWAYS have one special night out at Wolfdale's. This time we got seated in the premier table for two overlooking the lake and enjoyed the special mussels appetizer as well as great cocktails while watching the sunset. While we've had servers that were warmer and more friendly in the past (we like the interact with our servers as part of the experience), ours was certainly a fine dining server and he did his job well (just not as interactive.) I had the sole special and it was divine and my husband had the "Land and Sea" which had one of the best scallops we've ever tasted on it! Next year when planning my Tahoe City vacation, I will book another romantic dinner for 2 at Wolfdale's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still my favorite!rangylil59Dined on 7/15/2014World-class Wolfdales always delivers an outstanding dining experience. Consistently wowing the taste buds with perfectly balanced recipes. I love their Green Curry Seafood Stew with every bite being better than the last. Anything you choose on the menu will be done with attention to detail. My husband had a surf and turf type centre with elk sausage & mashed potatoes on one artisan handmade split plate and seared scallops on the other. Plated so beautifully we took a picture! Beyond Fabulous! Wholfdales has been around more than 30 years in Tahoe City area and I am only sad I have to come all the way from San Diego to visit my culinary favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Dining ExperienceBadgerboyDined on 7/13/2014Dinner on Sunday night was memorable. Lucky enough to be seated at one of the tables overlooking Lake Tahoe on a balmy, clear night. The service was attentive, but not overbearing. The food exquisite, from the "spoon prawns" for an appetizer, the halibut for a main course and coconut sorbet for dessert. Being a vegetarian myself, the grilled veggie plate with seasoned lentils and Bamboo rice was excellent. Would not have wanted anything different in the dining experience. A real jewel!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014The food was delicious, but the service was abysmal. Many tables including two by the window (with the view) were empty but she chose to sit us back against a wall. I nicely asked if we could sit by the window and after a long pause she replied "I suppose so". We were seated at 8:20 and still did not have our drink order until 8:45 & those that ordered wine didn't have it until after 9:00. I'm not sure why we were so unwelcome as we are nicely dressed middle aged upscale restaurant goers.Special Features:
- wagsVIPDined on 7/12/2014Very pricey and very blah. My Thai seafood stew had very little flavor, not at all what I expect from Thai seasoned food. My husbands Wagyu burger was equally uninspired.
- Ok, but not greatSandyDined on 7/2/2014I am glad we tried Wolfdale's, but we don't need to go again. The menu was odd...fish and chips and a burger (I guess to please most of the tourist crowd) plus some other miscellaneous options, and then a nice selection of seafood dishes. Quite a mish mash of things. I suppose they are trying to be "creative" but it ended up being nothing special and our dinner was quite forgettable. But, the room was very nice and our server was very good. The bar area looked nice, so if we ever do go back I think we would just still to drinks.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsTahoeLocalDined on 6/29/2014Wolfdale's remains one of our favorites! Each and every menu item is always special, and the service couldn't be better.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Wolfdales provides everything that makes a restaurant outstanding; great service, great food, great atmosphere. Nothing missing here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply OutstandingMrsTerryDined on 6/28/2014We dined here for our anniversary dinner. As a GF vegan, I was amazed that I had multiple menu items to choose from. My husband, who is an omnivore was similarly delighted by the choices. There is no categorizing this food, its simply gourmet and wonderful. Beautiful presentation, lovely location and a chef who cares enough to come and check on you. And a special desert for our anniversary. We will be back.Special Features:
- DrewmeisterDined on 6/27/2014Our family enjoyed Wolfdale's immensely. The smoked trout and poke cone appetizers were delicious and my wife loved the wasabi aioli for her halibut. Kevin, our waiter, did an excellent job anticipating our needs and his suggestions were spot in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014This is the place for fabulous food, excellent wine list & place to treat your palate! They serve the best ahi starter. The green salad had tasty vinaigrette. We were given Miso shooters to clean our palate prior to our main course. I had the Scallops, prawns w/asparagus dish. To top off I had the strawberry rhubarb crisp just delightful. The service was excellent--The wine list is exceptional. A perfect place to treat yourself and your companions whether special occasion or not. You want to bring some $$$ but it all so worth hit. Truly a hidden gem in Tahoe City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing like dinner with a view.slackerovDined on 6/22/2014We got one of the two tables that face the lake. That along with great staff and amazing food made for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 174 reviews are from the Wolfdale's Cuisine Unique reviews archive.
- BerryDined on 6/1/2014One of the best restaurants in the US! The ambience is lovely, the menu options are great and the service is impeccable. We have been fans since they first opened at another location many years ago. Definitely a place for people who know and enjoy a high quality dining experience. Good for small groups or couples, special occasions or a nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonRonBDined on 5/30/2014Douglas and Kathleen have done it again. For 25 years now they have maintained Wolfdales beyond compare. The food, ambiance and friendliness is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlippingBEallDined on 5/29/2014Wolfdale's has been our favorite restaurant in North Tahoe for years. When we went this past week, we felt that the quality of the food had slipped a bit. It was good but not excellent. Service was very good. I also felt there was a bit of an odd odor, but I don't know if others felt that way. I was not going to bring up the topic. I am not as anxious to return, but am sure I will, at least one more time.Special Features:
- Great Mid week diningljrrn2Dined on 5/28/2014We drove up to Wolfdales for dinner from Reno. Since it was midweek the dining experience was excellent. It wasn't too noisy and we could actually hear each other talk. The waitstaff was good however we had to ask twice for our second glass of wind. Since there were only 3 other couples in the dining room our expectations were for a more personal experience. However, the assistant was very doting and always had our water refilled and let us know she would get us what we needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful meal!DragonmomDined on 5/23/2014Dinner was great! We were well cared for, and well-fed. Wine list was very good.Special Features: