Wokcano - Santa Monica
1413 5th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Wokcano - Santa Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wokcanorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (310) 458-3080
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 3:45pm - 10:30pm; Dinner: Thursday - Friday: 3:45pm - 1:15am; Dinner: Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:15am; Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Sze Lim Lum
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Wokcano - Santa Monica offers take-out and delivery for large groups, parties, business functions. We also offer off-site, full service event catering & production services. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of our catering menu to be emailed to you or call the restaurant directly to place your order. Large orders must be placed at least 48 hours in advance.
- Entertainment: Live DJ and dancing every Friday & Saturday night starting at 10:30pm.
- Special Events: Wokcano - Santa Monica is one of the prime destinations for events & weddings on the West Side. Major entertainment events, film festivals & private dining events take place weekly here at Wokcano - Santa Monica.
A word from Wokcano - Santa Monica
Welcome to Wokcano! Located on 5th Street just south of Santa Monica Blvd, we boast a full bar and lounge, expansive dining room, an upstairs outdoor patio (the largest in Santa Monica independent of a hotel) that is enclosed on four sides for privacy, as well as private party facilities to accommodate any need. We are open from 11am to 2am daily. Our exquisite selection of sushi & vast array of delicious Chinese food paired with our warm lighting, hip music and wood-accented decor, you are sure to find everything you are looking for at Wokcano. Happy Hour: Mon-Fri 4pm to 7:30pmContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Wokcano - Santa Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (15)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (7)special occasion (7)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (5)late-night find (5)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)neighborhood gem (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- No Asian Food here!PJG1VIPDined on 11/15/2014Very disappointing. My won ton soup was tasteless. Fellow diners had noodle dishes and they were universally greasy. One dinner used chili paste to season his dish due to lack of favor. Good service and nice interior. However these did not make up for bad food.
- not for over 25 yrs of ageOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/13/2014Loud to the point you couldn't talk. Surly busboys cleaning off the table in a rude manner.Special Features:
- THANK YOURicanRAPDined on 10/21/2014Our recent dining was very pleasant. Our server, Michael was very attentive, professional, personal and very efficient in providing good service to us. He was part of making our experience a good. We hope to return soon. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Date night at WokcanoBSteuryDined on 10/11/2014I brought a date here, and though we'd both been here before with friends, we'd never been here together. The ambiance and vibe to the place is amazing. We ate upstairs in the outdoor courtyard and it was very pretty. The food was pretty good, I'm not as big of a sushi fan as she is, so I think she enjoyed it more than I did, but it was very fresh and good nevertheless. The prices were very fair for being close to the water, and I'd highly recommend it for either weekend dinner or drinks after.Special Features:
- Great servicenycgirlVIPDined on 9/26/2014Wait staff courteous and friendly. Food great. I will return.Special Features:
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014It was "happy hour" at the bar; when inquired about one drink ordered and charged full price, the bartender told me that the bar drink list was wrong and "that's corporate....". He knew it was incorrect. When seated, had to wait 20 + minutes for simple two drink order and longer for the food Instead of bringing out the appetizers first as requested, after a long wait and asking the waiter, all of the food was brought together. Food was marginal at best. Will not return back here.
- Always a +NiccDined on 9/2/2014I enjoy going for happy hour. The prices are awesome and the food is amicable. I would recommend it everyday! I enjoy the outstanding service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointmentfoodie4lifeDined on 8/31/2014I have been to Wokcano several times in the last two years, but never on a weekend. I would never do it again! The service was horrendous (45 minutes for a sushi roll), our waitress visited our table every 40 minutes and was no where to be found the first 45 minutes we tried to order. Once our food finally came out, the hot items were cold. One of the dishes we ordered never came, though it showed up on our bill. The manager was kind of enough to come out and talk to us, but I certainly won't be going back anytime soon. How dissapointing!
- Nice restaurant for asian fusionDCEaterVIPDined on 8/29/2014I dined here with a friend for dinner. We had problems finding the restaurant, but eventually found it. The menu had many options. Our entrees were great! I would consider returning here, but not for dinner if I am trying to initiate conversation (it got really loud on Friday evening).Special Features:
- Great meal & serviceBenHDined on 7/31/2014Really enjoyed it - service was quick and friendly, menu was interesting, food was well done, lively atmosphere. Worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 240 reviews are from the Wokcano - Santa Monica reviews archive.
- Perfect Happy Hour for Date NightslothropDined on 7/19/2014Wokcano's happy hour menu and timing is tough to beat when it comes to Santa Monica restaurants. Draft beer and wine are really affordable, and the happy hour food selection is varied enough to satisfy anyone's particular taste. You can easily get two rounds of drinks and several small plates for around $40, which is great if you're looking for a casual date night spot.Special Features:
- Have loved this place for yearsfoodshameVIPDined on 7/12/2014Best sushi in LA. We have been coming here for 4 years. It's a great find. Must try.Special Features:
- Great happy hourSamSamDined on 7/11/2014Best happy hour selection we've enjoyed in a long time. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Nice placeAndrew12Dined on 7/3/2014The place is very nice. The bar is noisy. The service was just ok. For the food, some choice we made were very good and others were just acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findFikiVIPDined on 6/20/2014Went with my wife and kids. Was a little worried given some of the reviews. However, the service and food were outstanding. Menu options include Chinese and Sushi/Japanese dishes. Large portions enough to share. Tried the orange chicken, garlic brocolli chicken, Mongolian beef, and sushi. All excellent. Place was packed at 10pm. Staff were courteous and efficient. Salad and soup accompanying dinner among the best we've had. I would highly recommend you try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for funOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014I went here with a group of my peers for my birthday dinner! The service was pretty good and the food was even better. We had a great time at the dinner table then headed upstairs for more drinks and to enjoy the DJ. I definitely would go agian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian food toned down for AmericansSMWillDined on 5/24/2014Everything was watered down and bland. Miso soup with barely a hint of miso. Hot and sour soup that was neither. The pork belly (marked with an asterix on the menu as "SPICY") was dull and sugary without a hint of pepper or ginger. The martinis were excellent. But my whiskey sour was watery and flavorless -- like the melted ice left after the drink itself is gone. The space is attractive and could be good for people watching. The silver lining that saved our evening was the service. Our server Maleyah was so smart, funny, quick and attentive that she kept our minds off the disappointing food.Special Features:
- Food decent at best, pervert waiterimachefDined on 5/3/2014At wokano, you'll find that the food is decent at best. For the price, the food can even be pretty good, assuming your knowledgable about what you're ordering. Two things not to get are any sushi roll with Cream Cheese-- you'll feel a little queasy afterwards. Also, their Chicken Terriyaki was grilled with rosemary. Rosemary is not traditionally a part of Terriyaki chicken, and when mixed with Terriyaki sauce tasted quite bad. The chicken was overly-cooked to the point where the meat became very chewy. In addition, the service is dreadful. Our waiter checked in only when I waved him over; he was too busy flirting with girls and trying to get them drunk.Special Features:
- Birthday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/29/2014This was a great place to go to lunch. nice specials. Our co-workers really liked it for their birthday lunch.Special Features:
- Great Chinese fusion restaurantLuvGreatFoodVIPDined on 4/23/2014My husband and I are there the other night on a Wednesday and were very pleasantly surprised how great the food was! Because it was a Wenesday night they even had a movie "The Goonies" playing outside on their rooftop /outdoor area. We loved the Peking duck (normally hard to find) appetizer, the chicken dim sum app and the Mongolian beef dish. The crazy fried rice is also great as long as you like a very strong ginger flavor. It did take a little time to get our food but due to movie night it was a bit crowded and the food was super fresh! We will certainly be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible experiencebayareamattDined on 4/15/2014Went with wife, mother in law, 7 y.o. daughter, dining about 7pm. Service was far too casual if not rude, and not at all attentive. Next table to ours was a party of mostly guys dressed for business. One was an extremely loud foul mouth, repeatedly dropping f-bombs at the top of his voice. Food was pretty good. When we tried to pay and leave it was difficult to get service, then we were told our bill couldn't be processed as the computers were down and we would have to wait. After 15 mins or so we left one of our party behind and exited. Some 20 mins more passed before they were able to leave, and even then without being able to pay.
- Wokcano.excellent. nice patioCaliforniamamaDined on 3/16/2014we love Wokano. great out door patio, sushi. love the happy hour,lunch,dinner anytime.Special Features:
- Wokano Sunday NightIdwyckeVIPDined on 3/9/2014Without planning very far in advance my young adult daughters and I popped into Wokano Santa Monica on a Sunday evening. The restaurant was full, but not too crowded. There were a few large (8-10 person) groups, some families, and several couples. Although the restaurant is large, the space is sectioned nicely so it doesn't feel cavernous. The outdoor patio was pleasant. The range of food choices suited us as we shared a selection of sushi and hot dishes. The variety of sushi wasn't exotic, yet the options hit our sweet spot and we picked a combination of rolls and individual pieces that were delicious. Although we were full before they arrived, the hot items were so tasty that we devoured them as well. Overall: very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food service a little slowGreatmealsDined on 2/15/2014Food was so good. Our order took a little long and part of the order was missing. Otherwise we left full and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!SantaMonicaLoverDined on 1/20/2014Great service and great food! I look forward to going back to try some other dishes. I recommend this place!Special Features:
- wokcano santa monica, californiamarsDined on 1/9/2014food great, and over abundant, service great,,,ambience surprisingly warm and yet romantic . we loved this place and hope that all your restaurants have the same quality control as this one. thanks for a lovely evening at an otherwise solemn occaision. thanksSpecial Features:
- Good food and servicebayareamattDined on 12/27/2013Quality food. Friendly, attentive service. Sushi was good: fresh fish, well executed. Sushi portions were good, while the noodle dish was huge.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodLaurieDined on 12/25/2013Very good restaurant. Went there on Christmas Day. It was crowded, but not too much. The sushi I had was excellent. The sangria was also really good.Special Features:
- Food was a little salty andPegcVIPDined on 12/19/2013Food was a little salty and beef (very tender, great cut fillet) and eggplant sauces very similar. Garlic noodles like spaghetti and parmasean. But sushi, edamame, seafood excellent. We were there on a rainy night so fabulous patio was closed therefore noise level inside almost unbearable. But we'll give it another try. Music good. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holiday lunchL0723VIPDined on 12/12/2013The staff was very friendly and the food was great with good pricing.Special Features:
- Bad Service, Good FoodssamuelsDined on 11/16/2013Food was great, service was not that great. When we arrived, the hosts gave us a weird greeting, but she was friendly and we were sat right away. Our table was upstairs in a nice booth. Our server came over about a minute after we were sat and greeted us. My boyfriend inquired about hot sake prices, and I think this made our server believe that we weren't going to spend a lot of money, or tip well. We ordered After that, he brought us our sake, and the food came out shortly after. When ordering sushi, you order frequently, and order more. This was not the case, our server didn't even come over to check on us. We left hungry and unhappy! I work at a fine dining Japanese restaurant in WeHo and I was seriously shocked by my experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not great waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2013It was my birthday and the food was great but the waitress was not. She ignored us for the most part and didn't bring enough spoons for the table when we got a cake we had to beg her to wait on us.
- Amazing spot for these NYC foodies!ajNYCDined on 11/10/2013Amazing spot, great selection, sake was excellent and everything was delicious. The ambience was very chic. Dimly lit, perfect noise level, we had a great night celebrating our last night in Santa Monica!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was wonderful andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/6/2013The food was wonderful and the service fantastic!!!!Special Features:
- Good foodObi1VIPDined on 11/4/2013Went to celebrate a birthday and tried a few appetizers which were all good. Would like to go back and try some more, the menu is so extensive. Also had some sushi which was also very good. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow prep, but good foodact2eatDined on 10/23/2013Our waiter was excellent, but the time between our order and receiving our meal was long. The waiter felt badly about the time and brought us some edamame (not ordered) at no charge, to make up for our long wait. Once the food came it was delicious, especially the crab/avocado roll in soy wrap, and the honey walnut shrimp. I will definitely be back trying other menu items as the overall experience was great made so by the wait staff from the front door on.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE WAKCANOJasonCVIPDined on 10/21/2013Great happy hour! Their outside area is very cute. Love the food and the prices.Special Features:
- TastyCarolineDined on 10/19/2013Our server really set the pace for the evening. He was extremely nice, informative and did not rush us at all. We had the calamari and crispy brussel sprouts for starters and they were both delicious. The tuna and albacore sashimi were well seasoned in light, tangy sauces. The tuna had a bit of a kick to it. We also tried the spicy tuna on rice cakes. Though they were good, the rice cakes were more of mushed rice together than crispy. All in all a great experience and I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic date night choiceMustang5gtxDined on 9/27/2013First the staff was very pleasant and we received prompt service. Second, our food came quickly and was very delicious. I scored major points with a girl I’m really interested in.. So, kudos.. Anyway, it really is a very nice restaurant with good food and reasonably priced.. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting fusion asian food.TheMoorDined on 8/29/2013Interesting fusion asian food. Not as delicious as we had hoped. The deck is nice. Pity they don't do the tuesday night salsa dancing there anymore, had wanted to try the place and dance under the stars...