Wo Hing General Store
584 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Wo Hing General Store
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://wohinggeneralstore.com/
- Phone: 4155522510x2300
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Executive Chef: Charles Phan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact a manager for pricing and details.
- Cross Street: 17th Street
- Public Transit: 16th Street BART and Muni - 33 Stanyan - 18th & Valencia Street stop and 22 Fillmore - 16th & Valencia Street stop
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are also two nearby public garages - Hoff Street Garage & 16th and Bartlett Garage & 20th.
A word from Wo Hing General Store
The Slanted Door Group’s newest restaurant, Wo Hing General Store, featuring Chinese Street Food using seasonal ingredients from local purveyors, brings renowned chef Charles Phan back to his roots, located at the site of the original Slanted Door restaurant on Valencia Street in San Francisco’s vibrant Mission district. Wo Hing General Store also features craft cocktails, a wine list that showcases local innovative wine makers and a wide selection of imported teas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Wo Hing General Store reviews from OpenTable diners
- Forgetable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/27/2013Could have been rated for 3 star overall, if it's not for the following reasons: 1- Service is extremely slow: We had RSVP for 8pm but had to wait about 20 extra minutes for the table ready while the restaurant were barely 2/3 fulled. 2- Bar service is very slow as well even there were few patrons at the bar area. 3- Food need to be cut down on the oil/fat. 2 out of 3 dishes we ordered are very greasy. 4- Restaurant ran out of few dishes. Really? Even on the slow week nights?! How could you run out of order for Chinese food?!?
- A Great Charles Phan RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/23/2013We had another wonderful dinner at Wo Hing. I know folks have dissed this place as not as good as The Slanted Door but it's a different restaurant and fulfills its mission well. The dumplings and daikon radish cake starters are all well crafted and delicious. The flash fried calamari are super crisp, tender and not at all oily. Having fried meyer lemon snuck into the dish makes it really interesting and different. And don't forget to try the cocktails and wine list. Both wonderfully tailored to the asian menu.Special Features:
- Our server Damien was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/22/2013Our server Damien was outstanding. The service overall was prompt but paced very well. Interesting cocktails that were both unique and tasty. Prices were on par for the portions. The glass noodles and shanghai dumplings were delicious.Special Features:
- We loved the food and recommendatioOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013We loved the food and recommendations from the wait staff. We also apprecited them taking us in an hour early. We got our drinks and appetizers quickly, but they waited more than an hour to bring our main dishes after we were done with the first course. That was too slow, but it was a group of 4, so we had plenty of talking to keep us happy and it was our first experience, so we were pretty forgiving. I wouldn't want that slow of a service again, hopefully.Special Features:
- delicious! and the staffsunsetgirlVIPDined on 2/24/2013delicious! and the staff was super friendly. I'll be backSpecial Features:
- gone downhillSarahVIPDined on 2/22/2013the food has gone downhill. i went when this restaurant when it first opened, and it really enjoyed it. this was my second visit, and i was totally disappointed. we started with the daikon rice cake, which i get at out the door all the time, and it was cold. all other dishes lacked flavor. we had the glass noodles dish at the recommendation of our waitress, and they were drowning in sauce (sauce will little flavor impact). we also had the bok choy, which was basically flavorless. we would have been much better off at out the door. i was really disappointed in the quality of the food.
- Our first trip. Food and servicedebowVIPDined on 2/22/2013Our first trip. Food and service were excellent! The food compared favorably to the Slanted Door and service was very attentive. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Very uniquely delicious ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Very uniquely delicious Chinese food although it might deserve its own category. Chinese reminds me of greesy ducks and deep fried pink stuff. This is not that.Special Features:
- had high hopes but this oneOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/13/2013had high hopes but this one disappointed. Waitress was very nice and friendly, but due to very crowded bar, it took 25 minutes to get our pre-dinner drinks, which was a bummer to the start of the meal. Food was inconsistent. A couple of dishes were decent (clams in black bean sauce was very good), but the others (chicken wings, steamed pork) were weak. And the room was very bright, not much ambiance.
- Gone down hill...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/9/2013Bar is by far better than the food. Concept is well conceived but sometimes fails in execution. Shanghai dumplings were tough and not juicy...not like I've had at other CP restaurants. Surprised that they were out of an ingredient for one of their special drinks at 9:30 pm on a Saturday. I'm optimistic that they'll work out the kinks in their food.Special Features:
- Amazing cocktails and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013Amazing cocktails and food! Everyone was so gracious and accommodating toward us, and they held our table for us for quite some time while we were at the bar and while we waited for the rest of our party to arrive. Thank you all! You made my birthday celebration just that much more special!Special Features:
- I wasn't very impressed withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/6/2013I wasn't very impressed with the decor, for a brand new restaurant it seemed incredibly dated. However the food was excellent. The soup dumplings were superb, I could see myself going in for a glass of wine and these dumplings alone. The chicken skewers were delicious but deceptively spicy. I also loved the Ma Po Tofu, sweet and spicy and perfect with rice to sop up all that saucy goodness.Special Features:
- very disappointed in the food servOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2013very disappointed in the food service was ok but waiter couldnt really tell us how the food was prepared Bench seeting was so cold I had to take my jacket off and sit on it so I would frezze wont go back unless I see a big change in the food
- Was a cool vibe. We had upsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2013Was a cool vibe. We had ups and downs throughout our experience in regards to service. There were times that no one paid attention to us for half an hour or so. Food was good, drinks were off the charts!It was good, but not the most amazing thing I've ever tried. I may go back but probably spicifically for the daikon rice cakes and some beverages. :)
- Nothing to write home aboutfoodistDined on 1/20/2013Nothing to write home about - overly salty - help was a little tooooo laid back- Our actual waitress was good but they had all these levels of help who were too quiet for the noise level I ordered a glass of wine- and someone brought all the other drinks to the table and left me with an inch of wine but did not explain that it was a taste- Not very clear.....
- Good, not great.RosevilleDadDined on 1/18/2013We made a reservation because we were going to be in the Mission and it was a sister restaurant to the Slanted Door, which we knew was an excellent restaurant. Reviews looked generally good so we booked it for a Friday night. Overall we thought the menu was interesting, food was tasty, prices reasonable, service was decent. Had a "Broken Flower" cocktail "of the moment" and it was quite delicious. Beer menu was short but interesting as well. The early '90s hip-hop ambiance music was fun at first, but quickly went cliche, much like the very hipster staff. I would come here again if I were in the Mission, but not before trying a number of other restaurants in the area. Good for stopping by, not a "destination" restaurant.Special Features:
- Greate place for traditionalQingDined on 1/18/2013Greate place for traditional Chinese food that you know are prepared in a clean kitchen. Great service and drinks are amazing!Special Features:
- Forgot some of our order,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/11/2013Forgot some of our order, other than that the service was great. Food was "eh"
- Honestly - I loved it. AllOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/10/2013Honestly - I loved it. All of it. The service, especially, is the best I've had at any SF restaurant in a long, long while. But it is super, duper expensive... I was shocked to find out that for a party of 6 that split the bill 5 ways (treating the guest of honor) and ordered limited drinks it was $75/each. yikes.Special Features:
- Dissapointed @ HoWingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/7/2013Had been very impressed a year ago...seems to have gone downhill...it was a Monday evening...maybe an off night.
- Best dumplingsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/5/2013Best dumplings I have ever had. And I eat a lot of dumplings! Noodle dishes also spectacular.Special Features:
- Proportions were on smallOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/1/2013Proportions were on small size; Food was not that interesting considering the other restaurants in the group; service was very slow and the restaurant was not full; bartender was moving at a snails pace any was not adhering to health code nor public display. Would not returnSpecial Features:
- They were out of almost halfBGOODined on 12/27/2012They were out of almost half the menu when we went. It was day after Christmas so there's some leway to be given, but there was so much missing that it was disappointing. They should have just closed shop for the night.Special Features:
- Aside from a distracted, inattentivVicinSFDined on 12/26/2012Aside from a distracted, inattentive maitre d', the wait staff was terrific: knowledgeable and articulate about ingredients and wines and striking that perfect balance between attentive and over-solicitous. Food universally excellent: two pescatarians had much to choose from, while our meat-eating friend was perfectly satisfied. The deep-fried shrimp had a light batter, crisp, tasty, not greasy. The catfish was great: not stringy, tender, delicious. Watch out for the free starter of boiled peanuts: you may no want to move on!!Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)LeftcoasterVIPDined on 12/16/2012Our first time at Wo Hing General Store - we had a small group for a birthday party and everyone loved the food!! Prices were certainly reasonable and wait staff was attentive without interrupting the celebration. We all said we would go back again and againSpecial Features:
- Wo Hing was good, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/15/2012Wo Hing was good, not great. It was a cold night out, and the restaurant was really cold inside. The door created a large cold draft, and it kept the inside of the restaurant cold the whole time we were there (everyone kept their jackets on). The food was good, just not outstanding, like we have experienced at Slanted Door. The service was friendly, but a bit slow. The staff and ambience were friendly and inviting.
- The entire dinner was terrific,HappyDinerDined on 12/9/2012The entire dinner was terrific, from service to drinks to food. We ordered the evening special that evening, steamed branzino, and it was everything a soulful and delicious fish should be. It was the first visit but for sure there will be more.Special Features:
- Pablo does a great job ofOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/8/2012Pablo does a great job of making everyone feel welcome. He also takes the time to explain the history of the name.Special Features:
- I was very excited to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/1/2012I was very excited to try this restaurant having heard so many good things. The small plates were excellent to begin. Two types of dumplings and chicken skewers. We ordered the ginger chicken, a catfish and a pork tofu dish for our large plates. The ginger chicken was undercooked and was quiet bland. The catfish had many little bones in it but was quiet tasty. The pork/tofu was excellent. For dessert my friends were risk averse after the dinner and so I ordered a pecan pie ( I believe it was listed as a torte). This was the most dry, flavorless pecan pie I've ever had. Do you know how easy it is to make a pecan pie? yeah, well that's gotta be improved.Special Features:
- Better for drinks than dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/27/2012Wanted to love it, but the Yelpers are correct, Wo Hing is "average". Stand-outs are the cocktails and small plates. Got the Siu Mai Dumplings and Chicken Skewers, neither were particularly creative, but solidly enjoyable, particularly the chicken skewers with pickled veggies (surprisingly great combo). Entrees were less impressive, the wheat noodles with "pork shoulder" and the "beef bavette" clay pot. Both had relatively small portions of meat that wasn't very tender; fancy names for meat cuts used to give a better impression than the reality. Clay pot was definitely better of the two. Drinks were enjoyable and varied, tried 4, liked all. Dessert was decent, the pecan "tart" and pumpkin cheese cake, latter of which was certainly creative.
- More Veggies, Salad, Seafood neededOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/27/2012The food was just ok. Lots of doughy dumplings, not enough vegetables, zero salads. They could also use more seafood. One or two of each.
- A Great ExperiencechinnskiDined on 11/18/2012I had high expectations for Wo Hing, and I was not disappointed. The siu mai dumplings and the glass noodles with braised mushrooms were excellent. My only complaint was that there were few mushrooms in the side order of babk bok choi and shiitake mushrooms that we split. I will definitely return to work my way through the menu.Special Features:
- The first time I went herechazuDined on 11/14/2012The first time I went here it was great. But tonight, not so great. The food was nothing to write home about and just not worth the prices. The crab and melon seasonal soup - just a melony crabby broth. The pan fried noodles were okay but a little sticky. The feather chicken not very tasty and mostly bone. The boy choy was very good. Just had hoped for something fantastic and sadly, it wasn't. HOpe it gets better because the atmosphere is pretty nice. -- well it's nicer downstairs than up.
- Happy hour pricing is super bargainNeimhVIPDined on 11/11/2012We made a meal of the small plates. All were excellent, but the Pan-Fried Shrimp & Green Garlic Chive Dumplings and Shanghai Dumplings really stood out for their subtle and well-nuanced flavor combinations. Plus, with the happy hour pricing, the cost is very reasonable.Special Features:
- Nothing specialHariJVIPDined on 11/9/2012Food and service were not at the level of quality of Slanted Door. Dumplings were slightly hard, noodles were far too oily and salty. We ordered cocktails, which were really good, but after the first round the waiter took our glasses but never asked if we wanted another. Service was lack luster. I would not go back as there are so many other interesting place in the Mission.
- Shanghai dumplings rock myOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/4/2012Shanghai dumplings rock my world. Happy hour prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- This was my 2nd time....notSFeaterDined on 11/2/2012This was my 2nd time....not as good as the first time. Some of the dishes are very tasty (squid, wheat noodles) but some are just blah (the chicken entree). Really good cocktails though. I probably won't go back because there are too many other restaurants to try and retry in SF.
- Service was a bit slow butOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 11/2/2012Service was a bit slow but the beef bavette and oyster pancakes somewhat made up for it. Delicious! Not the greatest ambiance - feels a bit like upscale cafeteria.Special Features:
- Cocktails were exceptionalfarfoodsDined on 10/31/2012Cocktails were exceptional and the service was very attentive though it was a slower night The won ton soup and beef clay pot were well done but not memorableSpecial Features:
- The food is delicious! Theybrax10Dined on 10/28/2012The food is delicious! They never dissappoint. Chinese food with a full bar, come on!!!Special Features: