Without Papers Pizza
1216 9th Ave S.E.
( Upstairs )
Calgary, AB T2G0T1Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: CAN$30 and under
Without Papers Pizza
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://wopizza.ca/
- Phone: (403) 457-1154
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Angelo Contrada
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Without Papers has a food truck that is available for private and public catering events.
- Entertainment: Large screens showing anything from classic movies to concert videos to cartoons.
A word from Without Papers Pizza
Without Papers is a friendly, casual pizza restaurant and popular local hangout in the heart of Calgary's historic Inglewood neighbourhood. It's not all pizza, wine and beer. We have house-made ice cream, floats and local soda too!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Without Papers Pizza reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (42)good for groups (39)great for lunch (29)hot spot (23)kid-friendly (18)special occasion (8)romantic (7)late-night find (6)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Delicious Pizza!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/21/2014Have yet to have a bad pizza here, so tasty! Also had the Dulce de Leche ice cream for dessert, and it was the perfect end to lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cassieDined on 11/17/2014awesome food and great service- friend didnt like her pizza and they look it back and made her a new one no questions asked- AMAZINGSpecial Features:
- Meh, there's better pizza out thereCalgarygirlDined on 11/15/2014I had heard from quite a few people that without papers was really good. I was pretty dissapointed. It was at par. I would much rather prefer Una or chiboh.Special Features:
- TeamLunchDined on 11/12/2014We had a team lunch and being able to make a reservation was great. Ordered the Hatch, Hawaiian and Pizza the Hut pizzas and they were all excellent. Service was friendly and prompt. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost Perfectsarah0003Dined on 11/8/2014We had a great time, and the food really was incredible. The server was excellent and overall we really enjoyed ourselves. We will be back there for sure. The one problem we had was we waited about a half hour to get a table, even though we had mad reservations. We usually don't mind if things are backed up, except that there was no where to wait so we were standing next to the stairs. We were served a drinks while we waited though.Special Features:
- Great pizza, slow servicesaturdaydinerDined on 10/30/2014We booked a table at Without Papers before heading out on a Inglewood ghost walk. I'd been here once before and the location was perfect, although can be hard to find with the subtle sign on the red door. In any case, we were seated at 6 and our pizza did not arrive to the table until 710. Not only did it take ages to get our drinks when we were first seated, it took about 15 mins for our appetizers to come out...which were olives! I could understand yhis type of service if the restaurant was packed, but it was less than half full. Overall the food was good, the pizza didn't disappoint and the tiramisu was amazing. Just wish we had more time yo enjoy it before we had to run off!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't recommendAC76Dined on 10/25/2014Made a 5:00 pm reservation for 7 people, which was handled perfectly, but once the restaurant got busy the service declined dramatically. I was still eating my pizza when the server asked if we wanted dessert; then they brought the bill when I was still eating; and, one person (bus person?) came by and asked us to settle up when I was still enjoying my pizza and beer. I waved the owner over and asked him why this was and he said he would find out. He never came back. I wont be back to this restaurant simply because of the lack of service and appropriate management.Special Features:
- ShwapclassicDined on 10/16/2014We had a causal family gathering and Without Papers was a great restaurant for this purpose. The pizza was amazing and the service was very friendly.Special Features:
- great pizza placeklugeDined on 10/15/2014Been here several times and never had a bad pizza!Special Features:
- Check it OutLetsEatDined on 10/14/2014The restaurants in Inglewood are always interesting and Without Papers Pizza is no exception. You ascend a narrow staircase to the second floor into a bright open space minimally decorated with classic black and white movies (Psycho for instance) playing on the two walls. Long banquettes run along each wall and small tables are scattered throughout. A few people in our party of six are lactose intolerant but our server was very good about recommending appropriate pizzas. The pizza itself is very tasty with a thin, crisp and flavourful crust and there is an interesting selection of toppings. The house wine (red) is surprisingly delicious and highly recommended although there is a good selection of beers from which to choose. LetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No TablestypicallycrankyDined on 10/11/2014Went on a Friday night and the place was surprisingly not very busy. The warmed olives were fantastic, the wine was reasonably priced, and the pizza was delicious. If you like thin crust pizza, a laid back atmosphere, and a place without blaring music this is your spot. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Pizza!AnnaGDined on 10/11/2014This is the best pizza I've had in Calgary! I'll definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Without PapersluvsweetsDined on 10/8/2014Without Papers was great. To improve, they could use friendlier servers - the two we had were average. But the food ease excellent. The pizza's were outstanding with a super thin crust that was crisp and delicious!Special Features:
- Best calzoneMattyoman121VIPDined on 10/6/2014Hands down the best calzone in the city. Order the spicy calzone and you won't be disappointed! Great service too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza!CandiceDined on 10/5/2014We had a great meal there on Sunday night with friends! Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun!love2eatDined on 9/19/2014Without Papers is a neighborhood pizza joint with some flare. The pizza was about average, worth the money but nothing to shout out about. But the restaurant is a lot of fun and the staff is great. It's a great date place, or night out with friends.Special Features:
- lovefood88Dined on 9/17/2014What else can I say but pizza pizza pizza! Authentic right out of the oven fresh pizza. Lots of great and different ingredients for unique pizzas. Not to mention all the other lovely choices. Me and my girlfriend split the spicy pizza and a Caesar salad and I even ordered a second pizza to take home. They also deliver if your close by on a little scooter.. how awesome! Loved that they grabbed me a bottle of wine that wasn't on their list from down stairs. What a wonderful touch.Special Features:
- Great pizza!tbeansDined on 9/14/2014Almost as good as the wood fired special editions. ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Although pricey, pizza is delicious! Happy we were able to reserve and preorder for a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but a tad pricey...DrewDined on 8/25/2014The pizza was great, but @ ~$20/pie, it err's on the expensive side. Nice atmosphere and location, although a tad hot upstaors with a pizza oven. Great for a river walk/bike ride to and from if you're DT. The spicy calzone was pretty tasty, and the housemarinated olives were good too. I'd have it again, but likely take-out as my friends live in inglewood and save on the marked up drinks. ($4/btl of grizzly paw soda) service was fine, not much to say about it, good or bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza is awesomeLisaVIPDined on 8/21/2014The pizza has a nice thin, crispy crust and there is a great selection on the menu. We ordered the meat and cheese platter as a starter to share. It was dropped off without any explanation of the meats and cheeses. The meats seemed fairly obvious as they appeared to have come from the deli counter at the local Safeway! Pastrami, smoked turkey, ham and that sort of thing. That part wasn't too impressive. The cheeses were fine. They were served with plain pizza crust, which was excellent, as well as some sort of fig sauce. I probably wouldn't order that again, but I would definitely return for the pizza and try a different appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner & a movieYuminmytumDined on 8/16/2014Great pizza and they play movies on the wall!!! Good service, decent beer list, an overall great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pizzaErta10Dined on 8/9/2014We ordered the primavera and the cap 'n culo. Both were very good. Loved the thin crust!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 68 reviews are from the Without Papers Pizza reviews archive.
- Best pizzabella17Dined on 7/30/2014We recently had lunch here, 3 adults and 1 child and were delighted by the super friendly and relaxed atmosphere of the place. Our food was delicious and quick to arrive. We would highly recommend it for perfect relaxed dining with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Savanna are server was amazing. So kind and explain ed the menu every well. Pizza was fantastic we have tried a lot of pizza places this has to be in our top ten. Only negative would be there pricing for 12 inch pizza. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night venueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Took hubby here for date night. The food and service were fantastic! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmmm...stay tuned I shall returnCockyCavellDined on 7/16/2014I have never had a bad experience here. I have been for lunch a couple times and also for date night. The room is setup well that you see everyone and everything going on. Great for people watching/menu item exploring. The staff is energetic and the food is always the same...and by the same I mean delicious. The olive appy is my new staple when I go. Great flavors and I like that they are warmed.Special Features:
- Great!thenewtexanDined on 7/15/2014Excellent service, very interesting place, with a movie playing on the walls. Great view of 9th Ave. Would definitly go again.Special Features:
- Neighbourhood gemPizzaasafoodgroupDined on 7/11/2014Great way to celebrate a birthday with my family and friends! Hutch pizza is a must have . chocolate brûlée is decadent and outstanding...will be back for both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Excellent food, very friendly service. Would love to try more of their dishes. Loved the fact they offered local brewery beers. A must go and eat kind of place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizza in the cityDasheljDined on 7/11/2014The perfect implementation of traditional neopolitana pizza. The crust is thin and chewy while maintaining enough of a crunch so it doesnt feel soggy like other strictly traditional places *cough* Famosa *cough*. Famosa is good too, I just feel Without Papers gets it perfect. Service is great and the atmosphere is excellent. They have captioned movies projected onto a couple walls to enjoy as a distraction. Great wine and beer. Every Pizza I have tried there is excellent but I especially enjoy the HutchSpecial Features:
- We loved the Pizza the Hut Pizza!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014The beat salad that we ordered was not what we had hoped for. It seemed like the beats were out of a can and the menu stated roasted??? The restaurant was very accomodating with taking this item off of our bill.Special Features:
- Great Lunch with my BoyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014I took my 6 year old here for lunch after the Stampede parade. Pizza was great, we got the cap'n-cola, with olives on dad's half.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014The George Lucas movies projected on the walls was a bonus appreciated by the people in my group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little PlaceMarkFDined on 6/30/2014The place had a great atmosphere and was playing Return of the Jedi on the walls while we dined. We ordered 5 pizzas in total for 5 people. The Hutch was a meaty, spicy delight, we ended up getting a second on the second order. The Primavera was very tasty for a veggie option, and the vegetables were quite fresh. The Pollo Pesto was perfect but one of the only porkless options available. The server also suggested the Hawaiian 5-0 substituting the ham for chicken instead. The server was very nice and we left a big tip. The only complaints that I have are that the pizzas are fairly pricey (average $20 for 8 slices), the chicken needed a little something more to up the taste factor, and they could and they could use more porkless options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemYYCPilotDined on 6/29/2014Without Papers is quite honestly some of the best pizza I've ever had. Combine that with their atmosphere and you're sure to not be disappointed. Casual yet very versatile for a wide variety of occasions. I recommend making a reservation anytime around lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations don't mean anythingKristaVIPDined on 6/28/2014We originally booked on open table for 10 people for my husbands birthday dinner and then 6 days before the reservation we called to make the reservation for 15 people. When we showed up on time they only had a table for 6 people and had no recollection of us changing the table to 15 and even so they didn't even have room for the original reservation. The manager was extremely rude and unprofessional and acted like it was our fault for the mix up. we waited for tables nearby to leave and finally after 45 minutes our whole group was sat. Drinks and food ordering were also extremely slow and the server was again very rude to us. Half the table was fed first and 30 minutes later the other half of us were fed. Pizza was delicious.
- Perfect PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014The pizza here is so good. The crust is thin and the toppings are tasty but not don't weigh down the crust. It's proper Italian pizza at it's best.Special Features:
- Perfect.AWANDERINGSKYDined on 6/21/2014Exactly what we wanted... Thank-you. Food choices were great... My Hawaiian with bacon.... Lip smacking. And I love the videos on the wall.
- Great Pizza!bigguyVIPDined on 6/21/2014Took my family out for a special occasion and W.P.'s didn't disappoint. My kids and wife all said it was now their favourite pizza...very friendly wait staff...definitely going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.