57 Witherspoon Street
Princeton, NJ 08540Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://jmgroupprinceton.com/witherspoon/
- Phone: 6099246011x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Christian Graciano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a separate room, "The Red Room," that can hold up to 27 people for a smaller event. Please call for more information regarding parties and events.
- Private Party Contact: Laura English 609-924-6011x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Every Tuesday from 6:30pm to 10pm!
A word from Witherspoon Grill
Witherspoon Grill is a classic American steakhouse, with a casual, straightforward spin. Witherspoon Grill is committed to providing top-quality food in a warm, welcoming environment.Continued
The Witherspoon Grill is the recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence in 2008!
The Witherspoon Grill is the recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence in 2008!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Witherspoon Grill - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Witherspoon Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (126)neighborhood gem (100)special occasion (79)fit for foodies (77)great for lunch (67)good for groups (59)hot spot (46)vibrant bar scene (43)notable wine list (36)romantic (33)great for brunch (31)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (12)scenic view (11)Show More
- Overall good...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Our experience was overall good. The majority of the food was great. My husband ordered 6 clams on the half shell and one was off. In addition he ordered the dry aged strip steak and asked for it medium rare. It came back medium. A place that specializes in steak and seafood should never get it wrong. My husband never sends things back because it's such a disruption to our night so he never fussed about it. The cocktails are always good and it was the perfect night to enjoy outside dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Everything about the Witherspoon Grill was excellent. The wine list was great. Our meals were all delis and dessert was fabulous! Highly recommend to anyone in Princeton.Special Features:
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Saturday night 9/27. Seated right away even though it was the height of the evening rush. Wait and support staff were very attentive. Food was delicious . My husband had requested his tuna well done and we all know how chefs loathe that request .... However it was done perfectly to my husband's request. One small drawback is on a very busy Saturday night the noise level is very high so at times we had to speak very LOUDLY at our own table to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2014My husband loved his birthday dinner! We had a nice booth. The server place a candle on his dessert. A bit noisy but we were enjoying our time together that's all that matters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality food, slightly priceyspongetedDined on 9/27/2014Food here is for the most part excellent, and the staff are very friendly. When the weather is nice, you can sit outside too. However, $7 for a small pot of mediocre fries is very disappointing (while your steak will be delicious, it comes alone on the plate).Special Features:
- Simply fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014What a great find. Loved everything about our meal. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014Awesome dinner. Great food speed of service was good. Always a favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, versatile spot.AnonymousDined on 9/26/2014Wonderful food with good quality wine, can't go wrong here!Special Features:
- Great FoodDridoDined on 9/25/2014This is probably the noisiest restaurant I have been to in years, well beyond "Energetic". But, the food was really good. My stake was better that one I had recently at a Morton’s Stakehouse. My wife's pasta was as good as anything she had in Italy. The service was excellent. My only real complaint was the special drink I ordered. The Kentucky Old Fashioned was a glass half full of smashed fruit, ice and a little bourbon. The whole thing tasted like fruit. At $14 this was not worth ever ordering again. This is an expensive restaurant, especially with a drink. We probably would not go again.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We were celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary. Our waiter was Kennedy. We could not have asked for a better night. He took very good of us and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Very disappointingExcellentVIPDined on 9/23/2014First, if they want to charge NY steakhouse prices for inferior steak, they should at least serve it at the proper temerature, but my aged NY strip ordered medium rare was medium well. The restaurant is grossly overpriced for the quality and presentation of the food. Next, conversation at the table was impossible (and on a Tuesday night), because they have a TRIO playing amplified music. I have nothing against live music in a restaurant, provided it's appropriate to the venue and played at a dynamic level that doesn't drown out all conversation.
- OkFood4me2Dined on 9/23/2014Had lunch here which was good. The server rarely came back to our table though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lunch spot in PrincetondowntownregularDined on 9/22/2014Witherspoon Grill is the perfect place for business lunches. My job entails providing hospitality to the important guests of my institution, and I always bring them here for lunch. The food is great, the service is excellent, and the setting cannot be beat. When I am trying to show people the best of Princeton, I can always count on Witherspoon Grill to provide them a great experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We took a prominent NJ lawyer and his wife to dine there. Selected this eatery because one of the guest is a semi vegetarian. They ran out of the special lobster mack and cheese which she would have selected. Which was somewhat disappointing. Service was very good, all in all a good night the other entrees were satisfactory.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Our MealkatiedaisiesDined on 9/20/2014Nice restaurant for corporate events and family dinners. Excellent food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemPatsVIPDined on 9/20/2014I always loce going to this restaurant. There is usually a table for us even at the last minute.Special Features:
- Great as UsualBobTVIPDined on 9/19/2014Still the best, most consistent place in Princeton. Our regular place.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodGreenVIPDined on 9/15/2014We have been here many times. The food has been consistently good. The service is generally good, timely, knowledgable, and friendly. Ocassionally, like our last visit service was untimely. We asked for dessert menu and something else, the server was sitting down chatting with other staff and didn't meet the standard one usually finds here.Special Features:
- Outstanding!marcy67Dined on 9/14/2014We've gone twice now. We have a child in a nearby college, and have taken her to dinner here twice. There's something for everyone from a great burger to salads to steak to dessert! Great size portions that don't overwhelm, and service is very attentive! It's in the heart of Princeton, so you can walk around & browse afterwards. We were able to eat outside both times and it was lovely both times with the great weather we've been having.Special Features:
- Loud and CrampedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Even though we had a reservation we still had to wait 20 minutes to be seated. I guess that due to the weather they were not able to accommodate everyone as the outside seating was closed due to rain. Inside had a nice atmosphere, and if we go back, will request a booth as the tables are very close and it was hard to have a conversation between us with the loud table next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good bistro food.WimPDined on 9/13/2014Delicious martini (pine apple infused vodka). I had the crab cake which was great and fresh, it came with old fashioned Cole slaw, not really innovative but OK. Then I chose the baked cod with olives and asparagus and tomatoes. While I did not like the raw asparagus, this was a fabulous entree! Loved it! The cod was very fresh. My husband ordered the mussels ; they were smelling badly when put on the table and tasted even worse. Not fresh at all. I tasted my husbands simply sautéed red snapper and this was fresh; this dish came with 3 slivers (each 1/8 of an inch?) of zucchini. The lack of vegetables was not OK. When I go to an expensive restaurant I expect a healthy portion of vegetables. I liked the ambiance. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itNYC2014gotoeatVIPDined on 9/12/2014it was my first time there despite living in Princeton. Service was good- host and hostess was amazing - food was great!Special Features:
- Old reliableNancydrewVIPDined on 9/12/2014I choose this restaurant over all the rest in Princeton for lunch meetings. If I request a quiet table, I get it and the wait staff is very sensitive to diners, when to interrupt and when to leave well enough alone. The food is always good. It's the perfect lunch spot and I see lots and lots of people happily eating outside, which is not for me, but I am letting the reader know, you have options. It's a good spot. Dinners are great too!Special Features:
- DinnerBlueDevilDined on 9/9/2014Food was wonderful Restaurant very vibrant and crowded Music was niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jerseygirljerseygirlDined on 9/7/2014I love the blood orange martinis and look forward to going here for this reason. The hamburgers are also great although one of our tablemates could not seem to get medium correctly (the other 2 did). I highly recommend the spinach salad as well filled with crunchy bacon! It is nice to sit either inside or out. The staff is friendly. This is a nice fun place to visit in Princeton and with OpenTable it is easy to find reservations. We will be back many times since we live locally.Special Features:
- Princeton's Steak PlaceJgraydonDined on 9/6/2014Witherspoon Grill serves steak to perfection as well as fresh seafood. Service prompt, friendly and efficient. Princeton is great and always alive. Witherspoon Grill is a fun place to finish the evening.Special Features:
- Witherspoon is a Gem!HappyMomDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I went to Witherspoon Grill for our Anniversary on 8/31/14. We've come every year for the last 3 years just so we can sit outside and dine in a wide, open area. The threat of showers was in the air, but that didn't stop us from asking for a table outside under an umbrella. I ordered the steak tips, which were excellent! I asked for them to be cooked medium and they were cooked medium, not medium rare as at other restaurants. My husband got the lobster risotto, which he liked alot. My dish was served with awesome asparagus and mashed potatoes. I ordered a white sangria and it was out of this world! I had to order another, even though we were practically ready to leave. It was too good to deny myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Witherspoon Worth VisitFiveODined on 8/31/2014Ambiance and food was very good. Service was a little slow, but probably more related to individual waitress than overall based on observation. Portions were excellent.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014The food was very good with nice sized portions. The filet was cooked perfectly and the pork tenderloin had a very tastey crust. The space is very small. We felt a little cramped in the back area near the kitchen.Special Features:
- Great food, Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014This was our first time to the Witherspoon grill and without a doubt we will be returning again soon. Our server was upbeat and although we saw she had a number of tables to manage it never seemed like she was rushing which made the experience memorable. She was on point with her timing and kept our wine glasses full the entire meal. I ordered the strip steak and our server made the suggestion to spend another $8 and get the dry aged steak and I was happy that I did. My fiancé had the lobster risotto and was thrilled with her choice. We will return again on our next trip to Princeton!Special Features:
- 2 for 2FoodieintrainingDined on 8/29/2014I have been to Witherspoon Grill for inside and outside dining, both of which exceeded my expectations. Great host, wait staff, and food!Special Features:
- fricker84Dined on 8/23/2014Have dined here on several occasions and the food and service has always been exceptional. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date nightlovethatfoodDined on 8/21/2014We have been here many times before and it never disappoints. We sat outside since it was a nice night, and it was much quieter than inside. The food is always great and we both enjoyed our entrees and the dessert!Special Features:
- Excellent LunchPUDinerDined on 8/21/2014Dined here with three colleagues for lunch. Wait person was personable and informative. Wine list was quite good but missed a similar beer list. Food was excellent and the ambiance was light and lively (we were still able to have a serious conversation without difficulty).Special Features:
- RAP2Dined on 8/19/2014Pleasant ambience and good, friendly service. A nice place to be, especially in the evening. I've had good luck with both meat and fish dinner entrees. Lunch was a little pricey; the lobster risotto ($16) was heavy on the cheese for my taste; the lobster itself was a little chewy in places. The salads looked good with plenty of fresh ingredients.Special Features:
- ClassygreattimesDined on 8/16/2014This is such a classy restaurant. We brought friends here for the first time and they were very impressed. Keep it up. Love the new dinner specials. DeliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerCherDined on 8/16/2014All four people enjoyed their dinners. Filet tips were great. Mussels appetizer was enjoyable, large mussels. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Very nice!eatsDined on 8/14/2014Ate outside -- beautiful day. Service good. Very good food -- lemon chicken very good. chocolate peanut butter desert better! Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a Second Chance....TravelDiva612Dined on 8/13/2014CSC Dinner Club Review: The ambiance on the inside and outdoor seating was very nice. The wait staff was cordial but could be a little more attentive. The food was tasty with good presentation but pricey for the quality. For example, the lobster bisque did not have lump lobster meat in it. The sirloin on the steak salad was not very tender. On the flip side the mashed potatoes, short ribs, onion rings and bread pudding are worth returning for. We would give Witherspoon Grill a second chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Witherspoon Grill deliversBassmanDined on 8/9/2014We arrived at 8:15 on a busy Saturday night and were seated at an outdoor table. The cheese plate was a scrumptious offering of three varieties accompanied by dried fruit and crackers. Wanting to play it different for main courses we decided to share sides of mashed Yukon gold potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts and sautéed broccolini. All were prepared and seasoned perfectly and our server was knowledgable and friendly making it a perfect night. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.