57 Witherspoon Street
Princeton, NJ 08540Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://jmgroupprinceton.com/witherspoon/
- Phone: (609) 924-6011
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Christian Graciano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a separate room, "The Red Room," that can hold up to 27 people for a smaller event. Please call for more information regarding parties and events.
- Private Party Contact: Laura English 609-924-6011x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Every Tuesday from 6:30pm to 10pm!
A word from Witherspoon Grill
Witherspoon Grill is a classic American steakhouse, with a casual, straightforward spin. Witherspoon Grill is committed to providing top-quality food in a warm, welcoming environment.Continued
The Witherspoon Grill is the recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence in 2008!
The Witherspoon Grill is the recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence in 2008!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Witherspoon Grill - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Witherspoon Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (109)great for outdoor dining (107)fit for foodies (78)special occasion (75)good for groups (68)great for lunch (65)hot spot (63)vibrant bar scene (42)romantic (34)notable wine list (33)great for brunch (27)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (15)scenic view (9)Show More
- Just OK TodayFloraNJDined on 11/23/2014I am a frequent patron at Witherspoon Grill and love it. This was my first Sunday brunch and I was a little disappointed. I ordered the ham and cheese omelet which was ok - a bit salty and overdone. Too many potatoes! My table guests had eggs Benedict and raved about it but noted more Hollandaise sauce was needed - a bit dry. And another guest had the burger. Another good pick. It was very noisy! Having said all this our waitress Jennifer was very attentive and provided excellent service making for a pleasant visit. Will definitely return but probably not for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014Food at the Witherspoon grill was delicious but it was VERY noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RpnjrRpnjrDined on 11/21/2014First time there. We were early for reservation but were seated immediately. The food was great and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014Very friendly and attentive service. An excellent spot if you have an evening in Princeton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mca29Dined on 11/14/2014the food was really awful. we were very disappointed.
- Good local dinner choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014Salads and appetizers are normally pretty good. Turkey dinners are a terrific value. Burgers and beef are steady favorites. If you get out of the meat and potatoes line choices are inconsistent. We go to the same waiter (Maurice) who is terrific and one of the main reasons we are steady customersI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, some issues with the steaktigerorangeDined on 11/12/2014I went to celebrate a special occasion, and it was wonderful - the ambiance was very romantic, the staff was lovely, and I loved the large booth space we got. The "daily soup" we had was very interesting. It was the chef's own special recipe and included bits of buffalo chicken topped with a crouton sprinkled liberally with blue cheese (recommend!). The only issues I had was that although I ordered my steak medium rare, it came out pretty close to medium-well and was a bit on the tough side. I didn't want to make a big scene so I didn't inform my waitress, but judging from the staff's helpfulness, they probably would have re-done it for a customer if he/she asked for it. Also, the apple salad was pretty mediocre (I would even say tastelessly done), and definitely not worth its price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lemon ChickenContessaVIPDined on 11/11/2014Their lemon chicken (rates 5 stars) ranks among the best I have ever had. It has artichoke hearts and mushrooms in a delicious lemon sauce. This is a must have dish (on the lunch menu).Special Features:
- Great managementdemandingdiner2Dined on 11/8/2014The restaurant is always good. We were there on Saturday night siting next to an extremely rude table that kept getting up and changing places with each other. What was so impressive was that the manager came over to ask us how our meal was and to apologize for the table next to us. He offered dessert on the house. What was so impressive to us was how attentive management was to its customers and how much they cared that our evening ended up a pleasant one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfullovetoeatVIPDined on 11/8/2014Great food wonderful service always perfect. We had an early dinner on Saturday evening place was hopping. I had the shrimp cocktail which was always wonderful and a steak salad which was great also service was wonderful can't beat this place.Special Features:
- LuvulouDined on 11/8/2014Great food and vibe. I will recommend this to my friends and take my familythereagzin. The artichoke was great and the burgers was excellentSpecial Features:
- casual family lunchmelsferberDined on 11/8/2014We met at the Grill for a casual lunch with family that came into town from NY. We had excellent service, lunch was delicious and the drinks were even better! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchJS25Dined on 11/2/2014Great brunch experience. Our entrees were delicious As were the bloody Mary's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with an Childhood FriendAstralDined on 10/31/2014Witherspoon was recommended by a work colleague and did not disappoint. The Lobster Mac & Cheese was appropriately creamy. The braised short rib was really good. Tender, with that dry and slightly chewy texture that short ribs should have. The beet salad was a refreshing starter. The cocktail list was fun and inventive. We didn't really have room for dessert!...but the list looked good.Special Features:
- The BestBobbyKDined on 10/31/2014Our recent visit to the Witherspoon Grill was tremendous. The food was absolutely terrific. The service was very attentive to our needs. We had the onion soup and wedge salad as appertizers, along with the dry aged strip steak and the snapper with risotto special. All superb. We will be adding this restaurant to our dining out rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-ratedrosieVIPDined on 10/26/2014Another over-priced Princeton restaurant with mediocre food....Wake-up this is not New York
- cathyVIPDined on 10/26/2014Service was extremely slow. I had to ask for bread 3 times before received. It took 15 minutes for my tea to arrive. It was a very busy Sunday afternoon and it was difficult to get anyone's attention. I have been there several times and have been very happy with the service and food. Perhaps Sunday was an "off" day - even my meal was just so-so. It might be time to try another restaurant for my trips to Princeton.
- Great barFoodyoneVIPDined on 10/24/2014Wonderful place for great drinks and appetizers! Loved the calamari! Dinner can be expensive and not always consistent with the high prices.....very good but not really excellent. Love the vibe though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014The bar was lovely and the overall ambience of the restaurant was warm and inviting! The food was excellent! I would go back next time I was in Princeton!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect!niftyfiftyDined on 10/18/2014I had the best salmon dish I ever had. Ever. It had all my favorite things--salmon, asparagus, mushroom, tomatoes, in a light sauce that tasted almost like a marsala. Best part was I asked that it not be made with butter at all, and make it with a small amount of olive oil. It was perfect and my husband and I enjoyed our anniversary meal!Special Features:
- Birthday Pop or Flop?riskybankerDined on 10/18/2014Came here with my family to celebrate my father's 60th bday. Food was excellent as was the wine list. My only complaints are as follows: the service from the waitstaff could have been improved as they were not too attentive and lastly, after mentioning two separate times, once on open table and once over the phone with the manager/person answering the phone that I wanted a dessert planned of some sort recognizing my father's bday they completely ignored the request!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bklynVIPDined on 10/17/2014great meal and wonderful service. I ordered the sesame Tune medium rare and was cooked perfectly. My husband had the veal chop, but was unimpressed. Over all it was a good dinner.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014Great food and amazing service. Our waitress was so friendly and nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningduodiningduoDined on 10/17/2014always a good dining experience at Witherspoon. Have never had a bad meal here. Wait staff is always friendly and helpful and the food consostently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go On ThursdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/16/2014Every Thursday (not in winter) there is the outdoor Farmer's Market which sets up just outside the railings of this restaurant. If you dine outside, there's a great hum of activity going on and when you're done eating, browse through the market's wonderful produce. Witherspoon Grill has a nice selection of salads and sandwiches as well as dinner options. Great location, good food, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehDDDDDined on 10/15/2014Had a business dinner with two colleagues on 10-15-2014. First time at Witherspoon for all of us. While nothing was really wrong with our experience, the food was not notable. The bar was out of a popular beer selection. Our waiter seemed glum. Had I known, I would not have chosen Witherspoon to have a business dinner. It did nothing to enhance our meeting experience.
- Great FoodsfcmDined on 10/11/2014Witherspoon was exceptional. Had an 8:45 reservation, we sat on time, staff was friendly and helpful. Food was outstanding. Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service; a litte loudHinLADined on 10/11/2014Witherspoon Grill on a Saturday night is definitely energetic (aka loud). The food was pretty good; don't recommend the filet tips (a fair amount of gristle) but the mashed potatoes were great. The Reisling was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and servicejudyDined on 10/10/2014Server was excellent. Food was great. Only issue and it was s slight issue was noise level and workers running back and forth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond PerfectionFloraNJDined on 10/6/2014Dinner at the Witherspoon Grill was perfection. My daughter and I were there to celebrate her birthday. A perfect place for special occasions. We were seated right away. The martini menu offered an unusual selection. Our choices were made to perfection. We shared the artichoke franchaise for appetizer and cleaned the plate. Served hot and flavorful with not one taste overpowering another. I had the asparagus gnocchi which were light and fluffy with a mild butter sauce and fresh grated parmasean. My daughter had the crabcakes, which she said were delicious, moist, with little fill and lots of crab. Our server was polite, knowledgeable, and friendly. Very professional. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDuvelDined on 10/4/2014Great food, great drinks, seemed a little understaffed for the Saturday night dinner rush but it all worked out. Had a minor problem but the manager took care of it right away without us saying a word. A great experience.Special Features:
- Witherspoon GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014We have gone to The Witherspoon Grill many times before, and am never disappointed. Amanda was our server and she was outstanding, very friendly and helpful and was there to give us advice on the menu. She suggested a Fried Calamari dish that had not been served to guests(according to Amanda), but only tried by the staff. It was much different than any we had tried before and was excellent!! We really enjoyed our dinner and would request Amanda as our server if we return.Special Features:
- A pretty good night outAchillesCTDined on 9/29/2014The bar service was good and thr bartender was delightful. The wine list was good but they didn't have my fort two picks. I enjoyed the spinach dip but when it arrives, my short ribs were cold as was the plate. I requested that it be warmed up and the wait staff was happy to accommodate; however, when they brought my food back, the plate was still cold and the food, while good, was warm, but not hot. Overall, pretty good but the kitchen needs more focus.
- Overall good...SmickerrDined on 9/28/2014Our experience was overall good. The majority of the food was great. My husband ordered 6 clams on the half shell and one was off. In addition he ordered the dry aged strip steak and asked for it medium rare. It came back medium. A place that specializes in steak and seafood should never get it wrong. My husband never sends things back because it's such a disruption to our night so he never fussed about it. The cocktails are always good and it was the perfect night to enjoy outside dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BootsyDined on 9/27/2014Everything about the Witherspoon Grill was excellent. The wine list was great. Our meals were all delis and dessert was fabulous! Highly recommend to anyone in Princeton.Special Features:
- Great food and service!Viking14Dined on 9/27/2014Saturday night 9/27. Seated right away even though it was the height of the evening rush. Wait and support staff were very attentive. Food was delicious . My husband had requested his tuna well done and we all know how chefs loathe that request .... However it was done perfectly to my husband's request. One small drawback is on a very busy Saturday night the noise level is very high so at times we had to speak very LOUDLY at our own table to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th bdayIsch1aDined on 9/27/2014My wife was celebrating her 40th bday. Food and drink was great, so was out server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLawrencevilleDined on 9/27/2014My husband loved his birthday dinner! We had a nice booth. The server place a candle on his dessert. A bit noisy but we were enjoying our time together that's all that matters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality food, slightly priceyspongetedDined on 9/27/2014Food here is for the most part excellent, and the staff are very friendly. When the weather is nice, you can sit outside too. However, $7 for a small pot of mediocre fries is very disappointing (while your steak will be delicious, it comes alone on the plate).Special Features:
- Simply fantasticPeteDined on 9/27/2014What a great find. Loved everything about our meal. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.