57 Witherspoon Street
Princeton, NJ 08540Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://jmgroupprinceton.com/witherspoon/
- Phone: 6099246011x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Christian Graciano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a separate room, "The Red Room," that can hold up to 27 people for a smaller event. Please call for more information regarding parties and events.
- Private Party Contact: Laura English 609-924-6011x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Every Tuesday from 6:30pm to 10pm!
A word from Witherspoon Grill
Witherspoon Grill is a classic American steakhouse, with a casual, straightforward spin. Witherspoon Grill is committed to providing top-quality food in a warm, welcoming environment.Continued
The Witherspoon Grill is the recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence in 2008!
The Witherspoon Grill is the recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence in 2008!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Witherspoon Grill - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Witherspoon Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (122)neighborhood gem (109)fit for foodies (81)special occasion (80)great for lunch (62)good for groups (59)hot spot (57)vibrant bar scene (42)notable wine list (38)romantic (36)great for brunch (27)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (11)scenic view (8)Show More
- perfect!niftyfiftyDined on 10/18/2014I had the best salmon dish I ever had. Ever. It had all my favorite things--salmon, asparagus, mushroom, tomatoes, in a light sauce that tasted almost like a marsala. Best part was I asked that it not be made with butter at all, and make it with a small amount of olive oil. It was perfect and my husband and I enjoyed our anniversary meal!Special Features:
- Birthday Pop or Flop?riskybankerDined on 10/18/2014Came here with my family to celebrate my father's 60th bday. Food was excellent as was the wine list. My only complaints are as follows: the service from the waitstaff could have been improved as they were not too attentive and lastly, after mentioning two separate times, once on open table and once over the phone with the manager/person answering the phone that I wanted a dessert planned of some sort recognizing my father's bday they completely ignored the request!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bklynVIPDined on 10/17/2014great meal and wonderful service. I ordered the sesame Tune medium rare and was cooked perfectly. My husband had the veal chop, but was unimpressed. Over all it was a good dinner.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014Great food and amazing service. Our waitress was so friendly and nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningduodiningduoDined on 10/17/2014always a good dining experience at Witherspoon. Have never had a bad meal here. Wait staff is always friendly and helpful and the food consostently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go On ThursdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/16/2014Every Thursday (not in winter) there is the outdoor Farmer's Market which sets up just outside the railings of this restaurant. If you dine outside, there's a great hum of activity going on and when you're done eating, browse through the market's wonderful produce. Witherspoon Grill has a nice selection of salads and sandwiches as well as dinner options. Great location, good food, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehDDDDDined on 10/15/2014Had a business dinner with two colleagues on 10-15-2014. First time at Witherspoon for all of us. While nothing was really wrong with our experience, the food was not notable. The bar was out of a popular beer selection. Our waiter seemed glum. Had I known, I would not have chosen Witherspoon to have a business dinner. It did nothing to enhance our meeting experience.
- Great FoodsfcmDined on 10/11/2014Witherspoon was exceptional. Had an 8:45 reservation, we sat on time, staff was friendly and helpful. Food was outstanding. Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service; a litte loudHinLADined on 10/11/2014Witherspoon Grill on a Saturday night is definitely energetic (aka loud). The food was pretty good; don't recommend the filet tips (a fair amount of gristle) but the mashed potatoes were great. The Reisling was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and servicejudyDined on 10/10/2014Server was excellent. Food was great. Only issue and it was s slight issue was noise level and workers running back and forth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond PerfectionFloraNJDined on 10/6/2014Dinner at the Witherspoon Grill was perfection. My daughter and I were there to celebrate her birthday. A perfect place for special occasions. We were seated right away. The martini menu offered an unusual selection. Our choices were made to perfection. We shared the artichoke franchaise for appetizer and cleaned the plate. Served hot and flavorful with not one taste overpowering another. I had the asparagus gnocchi which were light and fluffy with a mild butter sauce and fresh grated parmasean. My daughter had the crabcakes, which she said were delicious, moist, with little fill and lots of crab. Our server was polite, knowledgeable, and friendly. Very professional. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDuvelDined on 10/4/2014Great food, great drinks, seemed a little understaffed for the Saturday night dinner rush but it all worked out. Had a minor problem but the manager took care of it right away without us saying a word. A great experience.Special Features:
- Witherspoon GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014We have gone to The Witherspoon Grill many times before, and am never disappointed. Amanda was our server and she was outstanding, very friendly and helpful and was there to give us advice on the menu. She suggested a Fried Calamari dish that had not been served to guests(according to Amanda), but only tried by the staff. It was much different than any we had tried before and was excellent!! We really enjoyed our dinner and would request Amanda as our server if we return.Special Features:
- A pretty good night outAchillesCTDined on 9/29/2014The bar service was good and thr bartender was delightful. The wine list was good but they didn't have my fort two picks. I enjoyed the spinach dip but when it arrives, my short ribs were cold as was the plate. I requested that it be warmed up and the wait staff was happy to accommodate; however, when they brought my food back, the plate was still cold and the food, while good, was warm, but not hot. Overall, pretty good but the kitchen needs more focus.
- Overall good...SmickerrDined on 9/28/2014Our experience was overall good. The majority of the food was great. My husband ordered 6 clams on the half shell and one was off. In addition he ordered the dry aged strip steak and asked for it medium rare. It came back medium. A place that specializes in steak and seafood should never get it wrong. My husband never sends things back because it's such a disruption to our night so he never fussed about it. The cocktails are always good and it was the perfect night to enjoy outside dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BootsyDined on 9/27/2014Everything about the Witherspoon Grill was excellent. The wine list was great. Our meals were all delis and dessert was fabulous! Highly recommend to anyone in Princeton.Special Features:
- Great food and service!Viking14Dined on 9/27/2014Saturday night 9/27. Seated right away even though it was the height of the evening rush. Wait and support staff were very attentive. Food was delicious . My husband had requested his tuna well done and we all know how chefs loathe that request .... However it was done perfectly to my husband's request. One small drawback is on a very busy Saturday night the noise level is very high so at times we had to speak very LOUDLY at our own table to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th bdayIsch1aDined on 9/27/2014My wife was celebrating her 40th bday. Food and drink was great, so was out server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLawrencevilleDined on 9/27/2014My husband loved his birthday dinner! We had a nice booth. The server place a candle on his dessert. A bit noisy but we were enjoying our time together that's all that matters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality food, slightly priceyspongetedDined on 9/27/2014Food here is for the most part excellent, and the staff are very friendly. When the weather is nice, you can sit outside too. However, $7 for a small pot of mediocre fries is very disappointing (while your steak will be delicious, it comes alone on the plate).Special Features:
- Simply fantasticPeteDined on 9/27/2014What a great find. Loved everything about our meal. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014Awesome dinner. Great food speed of service was good. Always a favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, versatile spot.AnonymousDined on 9/26/2014Wonderful food with good quality wine, can't go wrong here!Special Features:
- Great FoodDridoDined on 9/25/2014This is probably the noisiest restaurant I have been to in years, well beyond "Energetic". But, the food was really good. My stake was better that one I had recently at a Morton’s Stakehouse. My wife's pasta was as good as anything she had in Italy. The service was excellent. My only real complaint was the special drink I ordered. The Kentucky Old Fashioned was a glass half full of smashed fruit, ice and a little bourbon. The whole thing tasted like fruit. At $14 this was not worth ever ordering again. This is an expensive restaurant, especially with a drink. We probably would not go again.Special Features:
- Great ServicehappyanniversaryDined on 9/25/2014We were celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary. Our waiter was Kennedy. We could not have asked for a better night. He took very good of us and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Very disappointingExcellentVIPDined on 9/23/2014First, if they want to charge NY steakhouse prices for inferior steak, they should at least serve it at the proper temerature, but my aged NY strip ordered medium rare was medium well. The restaurant is grossly overpriced for the quality and presentation of the food. Next, conversation at the table was impossible (and on a Tuesday night), because they have a TRIO playing amplified music. I have nothing against live music in a restaurant, provided it's appropriate to the venue and played at a dynamic level that doesn't drown out all conversation.
- OkFood4me2Dined on 9/23/2014Had lunch here which was good. The server rarely came back to our table though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lunch spot in PrincetondowntownregularDined on 9/22/2014Witherspoon Grill is the perfect place for business lunches. My job entails providing hospitality to the important guests of my institution, and I always bring them here for lunch. The food is great, the service is excellent, and the setting cannot be beat. When I am trying to show people the best of Princeton, I can always count on Witherspoon Grill to provide them a great experience.Special Features:
- johnlindaDined on 9/20/2014We took a prominent NJ lawyer and his wife to dine there. Selected this eatery because one of the guest is a semi vegetarian. They ran out of the special lobster mack and cheese which she would have selected. Which was somewhat disappointing. Service was very good, all in all a good night the other entrees were satisfactory.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Our MealkatiedaisiesDined on 9/20/2014Nice restaurant for corporate events and family dinners. Excellent food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemPatsVIPDined on 9/20/2014I always loce going to this restaurant. There is usually a table for us even at the last minute.Special Features:
- Great as UsualBobTVIPDined on 9/19/2014Still the best, most consistent place in Princeton. Our regular place.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodGreenVIPDined on 9/15/2014We have been here many times. The food has been consistently good. The service is generally good, timely, knowledgable, and friendly. Ocassionally, like our last visit service was untimely. We asked for dessert menu and something else, the server was sitting down chatting with other staff and didn't meet the standard one usually finds here.Special Features:
- Outstanding!marcy67Dined on 9/14/2014We've gone twice now. We have a child in a nearby college, and have taken her to dinner here twice. There's something for everyone from a great burger to salads to steak to dessert! Great size portions that don't overwhelm, and service is very attentive! It's in the heart of Princeton, so you can walk around & browse afterwards. We were able to eat outside both times and it was lovely both times with the great weather we've been having.Special Features:
- Loud and CrampedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Even though we had a reservation we still had to wait 20 minutes to be seated. I guess that due to the weather they were not able to accommodate everyone as the outside seating was closed due to rain. Inside had a nice atmosphere, and if we go back, will request a booth as the tables are very close and it was hard to have a conversation between us with the loud table next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good bistro food.WimPDined on 9/13/2014Delicious martini (pine apple infused vodka). I had the crab cake which was great and fresh, it came with old fashioned Cole slaw, not really innovative but OK. Then I chose the baked cod with olives and asparagus and tomatoes. While I did not like the raw asparagus, this was a fabulous entree! Loved it! The cod was very fresh. My husband ordered the mussels ; they were smelling badly when put on the table and tasted even worse. Not fresh at all. I tasted my husbands simply sautéed red snapper and this was fresh; this dish came with 3 slivers (each 1/8 of an inch?) of zucchini. The lack of vegetables was not OK. When I go to an expensive restaurant I expect a healthy portion of vegetables. I liked the ambiance. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itNYC2014gotoeatVIPDined on 9/12/2014it was my first time there despite living in Princeton. Service was good- host and hostess was amazing - food was great!Special Features:
- Old reliableNancydrewVIPDined on 9/12/2014I choose this restaurant over all the rest in Princeton for lunch meetings. If I request a quiet table, I get it and the wait staff is very sensitive to diners, when to interrupt and when to leave well enough alone. The food is always good. It's the perfect lunch spot and I see lots and lots of people happily eating outside, which is not for me, but I am letting the reader know, you have options. It's a good spot. Dinners are great too!Special Features:
- DinnerBlueDevilDined on 9/9/2014Food was wonderful Restaurant very vibrant and crowded Music was niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jerseygirljerseygirlDined on 9/7/2014I love the blood orange martinis and look forward to going here for this reason. The hamburgers are also great although one of our tablemates could not seem to get medium correctly (the other 2 did). I highly recommend the spinach salad as well filled with crunchy bacon! It is nice to sit either inside or out. The staff is friendly. This is a nice fun place to visit in Princeton and with OpenTable it is easy to find reservations. We will be back many times since we live locally.Special Features: