57 Witherspoon Street
Princeton, NJ 08540Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://jmgroupprinceton.com/witherspoon/
- Phone: 6099246011x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Christian Graciano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a separate room, "The Red Room," that can hold up to 27 people for a smaller event. Please call for more information regarding parties and events.
- Private Party Contact: Laura English 609-924-6011x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Every Tuesday from 6:30pm to 10pm!
A word from Witherspoon Grill
Witherspoon Grill is a classic American steakhouse, with a casual, straightforward spin. Witherspoon Grill is committed to providing top-quality food in a warm, welcoming environment.Continued
The Witherspoon Grill is the recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence in 2008!
The Witherspoon Grill is the recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence in 2008!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Witherspoon Grill - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Witherspoon Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (118)neighborhood gem (82)special occasion (75)fit for foodies (64)great for lunch (59)good for groups (46)vibrant bar scene (38)hot spot (38)great for brunch (33)notable wine list (32)romantic (30)kid-friendly (21)scenic view (8)late-night find (7)Show More
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We've gone twice now. We have a child in a nearby college, and have taken her to dinner here twice. There's something for everyone from a great burger to salads to steak to dessert! Great size portions that don't overwhelm, and service is very attentive! It's in the heart of Princeton, so you can walk around & browse afterwards. We were able to eat outside both times and it was lovely both times with the great weather we've been having.Special Features:
- Loud and CrampedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Even though we had a reservation we still had to wait 20 minutes to be seated. I guess that due to the weather they were not able to accommodate everyone as the outside seating was closed due to rain. Inside had a nice atmosphere, and if we go back, will request a booth as the tables are very close and it was hard to have a conversation between us with the loud table next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good bistro food.WimPDined on 9/13/2014Delicious martini (pine apple infused vodka). I had the crab cake which was great and fresh, it came with old fashioned Cole slaw, not really innovative but OK. Then I chose the baked cod with olives and asparagus and tomatoes. While I did not like the raw asparagus, this was a fabulous entree! Loved it! The cod was very fresh. My husband ordered the mussels ; they were smelling badly when put on the table and tasted even worse. Not fresh at all. I tasted my husbands simply sautéed red snapper and this was fresh; this dish came with 3 slivers (each 1/8 of an inch?) of zucchini. The lack of vegetables was not OK. When I go to an expensive restaurant I expect a healthy portion of vegetables. I liked the ambiance. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itNYC2014gotoeatVIPDined on 9/12/2014it was my first time there despite living in Princeton. Service was good- host and hostess was amazing - food was great!Special Features:
- Old reliableNancydrewVIPDined on 9/12/2014I choose this restaurant over all the rest in Princeton for lunch meetings. If I request a quiet table, I get it and the wait staff is very sensitive to diners, when to interrupt and when to leave well enough alone. The food is always good. It's the perfect lunch spot and I see lots and lots of people happily eating outside, which is not for me, but I am letting the reader know, you have options. It's a good spot. Dinners are great too!Special Features:
- DinnerBlueDevilDined on 9/9/2014Food was wonderful Restaurant very vibrant and crowded Music was niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jerseygirljerseygirlDined on 9/7/2014I love the blood orange martinis and look forward to going here for this reason. The hamburgers are also great although one of our tablemates could not seem to get medium correctly (the other 2 did). I highly recommend the spinach salad as well filled with crunchy bacon! It is nice to sit either inside or out. The staff is friendly. This is a nice fun place to visit in Princeton and with OpenTable it is easy to find reservations. We will be back many times since we live locally.Special Features:
- Princeton's Steak PlaceJgraydonDined on 9/6/2014Witherspoon Grill serves steak to perfection as well as fresh seafood. Service prompt, friendly and efficient. Princeton is great and always alive. Witherspoon Grill is a fun place to finish the evening.Special Features:
- Witherspoon is a Gem!HappyMomDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I went to Witherspoon Grill for our Anniversary on 8/31/14. We've come every year for the last 3 years just so we can sit outside and dine in a wide, open area. The threat of showers was in the air, but that didn't stop us from asking for a table outside under an umbrella. I ordered the steak tips, which were excellent! I asked for them to be cooked medium and they were cooked medium, not medium rare as at other restaurants. My husband got the lobster risotto, which he liked alot. My dish was served with awesome asparagus and mashed potatoes. I ordered a white sangria and it was out of this world! I had to order another, even though we were practically ready to leave. It was too good to deny myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Witherspoon Worth VisitFiveODined on 8/31/2014Ambiance and food was very good. Service was a little slow, but probably more related to individual waitress than overall based on observation. Portions were excellent.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014The food was very good with nice sized portions. The filet was cooked perfectly and the pork tenderloin had a very tastey crust. The space is very small. We felt a little cramped in the back area near the kitchen.Special Features:
- Great food, Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014This was our first time to the Witherspoon grill and without a doubt we will be returning again soon. Our server was upbeat and although we saw she had a number of tables to manage it never seemed like she was rushing which made the experience memorable. She was on point with her timing and kept our wine glasses full the entire meal. I ordered the strip steak and our server made the suggestion to spend another $8 and get the dry aged steak and I was happy that I did. My fiancé had the lobster risotto and was thrilled with her choice. We will return again on our next trip to Princeton!Special Features:
- 2 for 2FoodieintrainingDined on 8/29/2014I have been to Witherspoon Grill for inside and outside dining, both of which exceeded my expectations. Great host, wait staff, and food!Special Features:
- fricker84Dined on 8/23/2014Have dined here on several occasions and the food and service has always been exceptional. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date nightlovethatfoodDined on 8/21/2014We have been here many times before and it never disappoints. We sat outside since it was a nice night, and it was much quieter than inside. The food is always great and we both enjoyed our entrees and the dessert!Special Features:
- Excellent LunchPUDinerDined on 8/21/2014Dined here with three colleagues for lunch. Wait person was personable and informative. Wine list was quite good but missed a similar beer list. Food was excellent and the ambiance was light and lively (we were still able to have a serious conversation without difficulty).Special Features:
- RAP2Dined on 8/19/2014Pleasant ambience and good, friendly service. A nice place to be, especially in the evening. I've had good luck with both meat and fish dinner entrees. Lunch was a little pricey; the lobster risotto ($16) was heavy on the cheese for my taste; the lobster itself was a little chewy in places. The salads looked good with plenty of fresh ingredients.Special Features:
- ClassygreattimesDined on 8/16/2014This is such a classy restaurant. We brought friends here for the first time and they were very impressed. Keep it up. Love the new dinner specials. DeliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerCherDined on 8/16/2014All four people enjoyed their dinners. Filet tips were great. Mussels appetizer was enjoyable, large mussels. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Very nice!eatsDined on 8/14/2014Ate outside -- beautiful day. Service good. Very good food -- lemon chicken very good. chocolate peanut butter desert better! Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a Second Chance....TravelDiva612Dined on 8/13/2014CSC Dinner Club Review: The ambiance on the inside and outdoor seating was very nice. The wait staff was cordial but could be a little more attentive. The food was tasty with good presentation but pricey for the quality. For example, the lobster bisque did not have lump lobster meat in it. The sirloin on the steak salad was not very tender. On the flip side the mashed potatoes, short ribs, onion rings and bread pudding are worth returning for. We would give Witherspoon Grill a second chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Witherspoon Grill deliversBassmanDined on 8/9/2014We arrived at 8:15 on a busy Saturday night and were seated at an outdoor table. The cheese plate was a scrumptious offering of three varieties accompanied by dried fruit and crackers. Wanting to play it different for main courses we decided to share sides of mashed Yukon gold potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts and sautéed broccolini. All were prepared and seasoned perfectly and our server was knowledgable and friendly making it a perfect night. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend Witherspoon GrillMMDEDined on 8/5/2014Great, jazz trio -- entertaining without being overbearing during dinner. Food was delicious, even though only one of us ordered a steak. The fish special was also terrific, as were all our salads and accompaniments. Really enjoyed this dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to love?PaigeDined on 8/4/2014I've been here multiple times and the food has always been stupendous. The service is great, very genuine and personable people. I love the atmosphere, upscale, modern, sheak. I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a good meal and a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard steakhouse, lousy serviceVictoriaDined on 8/2/2014Standard steakhouse fare, not very interesting or well done. My husband had a hangar steak special, which was advertised as a "butter-fly" cut, but wasn't. I would have tolerated the food, which was not bad, just not ourstanding, but our waitress Rachel was awful. She seemed downright miffed when I declined a second glass of wine. Never came back to the table after the meals were served. Stopped by only after we were finished, and someone else had cleared the table of the dirty dishes, to present the bill with her cloying and transparent sweetness. Ugh.
- The place to eat in PrincetonFresh76foodVIPDined on 8/1/2014Food is outstanding, wait staff is polished and professional. Service is excellent. There are daily specials. The hamburger is probably the best one you will eat anywhere. It is the hamburger that all others are compared to. The fish is always fresh and well prepared. Wonderful wine list, and you get a nice serving of wine by the glass. Best restaurant menu in Princeton. There is something for everyone on the menu from steak, seafood to pasta and salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Very responsive to our request for a table location. Staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SanchoPanzaJrVIPDined on 7/28/2014I don't like fish but I always get the trout here. Great under $30 bottles of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal and service!ggfoodieDined on 7/26/2014Terrific food service and atmosphere! Loved our meal and haven't had a bad one ...went for our 20 yr anniversary -- that specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Loved everything about the event but the noise! Was with 3 couples, and because it was a rectangular table, we could not hear what was beign discussed at the other end.Special Features:
- Not a great experienceeatoutDined on 7/26/2014We have gone to this restaurant many times and this time was by far the worst experience we have had. The waitress was not customer-focused. She kicked our friend's husband's foot 3x even though she saw that he had an injury and was wearing a boot. The food was not prepared the way we wanted. After we spoke to the manager, we got help but we still had a bad taste while we were there. We don't recommend going on a Saturday night with kids if you aren't going to drink (we are not drinkers and we had kids).
- Recent DinnerPhillyGirlDined on 7/24/2014We chose Witherspoon Grill because we were looking for quality steaks in the Princeton area. The bone-in ribeyes were amazing. The menu is great, lots of choices.Special Features:
- Busy nightEricHDined on 7/23/2014Great food but had to wait until 7:45 to be seated when we had 7:00 reservation. Manager was GREAT and gave us some gratis apps and coffee. They were overbooked but he kept his cool and was very sorry for the inconvenience..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodyVIPDined on 7/17/2014A really good "New York" steakhouse outside of NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with Friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014The Witherspoon Grill is one of my favorite restaurants to lunch with friends. I can always expect excellent service, great food, and a fun and comfortable atmosphere whether we are dining inside or outside the restaurant. My go to place! I loved my B-Day candle on the yummy Bananas Foster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location and good foodsFamilydiningDined on 7/11/2014We had a good time here. The pork chops and steak had done as we asked for. The Cesar salad was great. My sons finished them!!! I had fish which is also great. The service was great. The waitress knew what we wanted. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- SanchoPanzaJrVIPDined on 7/9/2014We've been here many times, but this visit was outstanding in every way from the service (Alyssa was terrific!), to the daily specials and the new under $30 a bottle wine list. Manager Robert was very cordial. A wonderful, relaxing lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLindaVIPDined on 7/6/2014The onion soup was so salty I sent it back and the steak was not very good.
- Excellent brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2014We had an amazing brunch- everything we had was delicious. I always get the crab cake and chopped salad. My friend got the steak sandwich and he said it was the best he ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Witherspoon Grill DisappointsOpenTableFanVIPDined on 7/2/2014We had a group of 8. Arrived at 6:30 PM, entree served 90-minutes later, dessert served 1 hour later. After 3 hours I asked for the manager. It took 5 minutes for the server to find him. He was not sympathetic. After 3 hours I had to go to the manager again to ask for the check and then it was an additional 10-minutes before it arrived. I was entertaining colleagues visiting our college from Europe and across the country and I was quite embarrassed. I was also not pleased with the manager who did nothing to make any amends. While the food was outstanding, I would not take colleagues there again.Special Features: