57 Witherspoon Street
Princeton, NJ 08540Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://jmgroupprinceton.com/witherspoon/
- Phone: 6099246011x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Christian Graciano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a separate room, "The Red Room," that can hold up to 27 people for a smaller event. Please call for more information regarding parties and events.
- Private Party Contact: Laura English 609-924-6011x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Every Tuesday from 6:30pm to 10pm!
A word from Witherspoon Grill
Witherspoon Grill is a classic American steakhouse, with a casual, straightforward spin. Witherspoon Grill is committed to providing top-quality food in a warm, welcoming environment.Continued
The Witherspoon Grill is the recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence in 2008!
The Witherspoon Grill is the recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence in 2008!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Witherspoon Grill - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Witherspoon Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (112)special occasion (73)neighborhood gem (73)fit for foodies (62)great for lunch (60)good for groups (40)great for brunch (37)vibrant bar scene (35)hot spot (34)romantic (30)notable wine list (30)kid-friendly (24)scenic view (9)late-night find (8)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Have dined here on several occasions and the food and service has always been exceptional. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date nightlovethatfoodDined on 8/21/2014We have been here many times before and it never disappoints. We sat outside since it was a nice night, and it was much quieter than inside. The food is always great and we both enjoyed our entrees and the dessert!Special Features:
- Excellent LunchPUDinerDined on 8/21/2014Dined here with three colleagues for lunch. Wait person was personable and informative. Wine list was quite good but missed a similar beer list. Food was excellent and the ambiance was light and lively (we were still able to have a serious conversation without difficulty).Special Features:
- RAP2Dined on 8/19/2014Pleasant ambience and good, friendly service. A nice place to be, especially in the evening. I've had good luck with both meat and fish dinner entrees. Lunch was a little pricey; the lobster risotto ($16) was heavy on the cheese for my taste; the lobster itself was a little chewy in places. The salads looked good with plenty of fresh ingredients.Special Features:
- ClassygreattimesDined on 8/16/2014This is such a classy restaurant. We brought friends here for the first time and they were very impressed. Keep it up. Love the new dinner specials. DeliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerCherDined on 8/16/2014All four people enjoyed their dinners. Filet tips were great. Mussels appetizer was enjoyable, large mussels. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Very nice!eatsDined on 8/14/2014Ate outside -- beautiful day. Service good. Very good food -- lemon chicken very good. chocolate peanut butter desert better! Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a Second Chance....TravelDiva612Dined on 8/13/2014CSC Dinner Club Review: The ambiance on the inside and outdoor seating was very nice. The wait staff was cordial but could be a little more attentive. The food was tasty with good presentation but pricey for the quality. For example, the lobster bisque did not have lump lobster meat in it. The sirloin on the steak salad was not very tender. On the flip side the mashed potatoes, short ribs, onion rings and bread pudding are worth returning for. We would give Witherspoon Grill a second chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Witherspoon Grill deliversBassmanDined on 8/9/2014We arrived at 8:15 on a busy Saturday night and were seated at an outdoor table. The cheese plate was a scrumptious offering of three varieties accompanied by dried fruit and crackers. Wanting to play it different for main courses we decided to share sides of mashed Yukon gold potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts and sautéed broccolini. All were prepared and seasoned perfectly and our server was knowledgable and friendly making it a perfect night. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend Witherspoon GrillMMDEDined on 8/5/2014Great, jazz trio -- entertaining without being overbearing during dinner. Food was delicious, even though only one of us ordered a steak. The fish special was also terrific, as were all our salads and accompaniments. Really enjoyed this dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to love?PaigeDined on 8/4/2014I've been here multiple times and the food has always been stupendous. The service is great, very genuine and personable people. I love the atmosphere, upscale, modern, sheak. I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a good meal and a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard steakhouse, lousy serviceVictoriaDined on 8/2/2014Standard steakhouse fare, not very interesting or well done. My husband had a hangar steak special, which was advertised as a "butter-fly" cut, but wasn't. I would have tolerated the food, which was not bad, just not ourstanding, but our waitress Rachel was awful. She seemed downright miffed when I declined a second glass of wine. Never came back to the table after the meals were served. Stopped by only after we were finished, and someone else had cleared the table of the dirty dishes, to present the bill with her cloying and transparent sweetness. Ugh.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Very responsive to our request for a table location. Staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SanchoPanzaJrVIPDined on 7/28/2014I don't like fish but I always get the trout here. Great under $30 bottles of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal and service!ggfoodieDined on 7/26/2014Terrific food service and atmosphere! Loved our meal and haven't had a bad one ...went for our 20 yr anniversary -- that specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Loved everything about the event but the noise! Was with 3 couples, and because it was a rectangular table, we could not hear what was beign discussed at the other end.Special Features:
- Not a great experienceeatoutDined on 7/26/2014We have gone to this restaurant many times and this time was by far the worst experience we have had. The waitress was not customer-focused. She kicked our friend's husband's foot 3x even though she saw that he had an injury and was wearing a boot. The food was not prepared the way we wanted. After we spoke to the manager, we got help but we still had a bad taste while we were there. We don't recommend going on a Saturday night with kids if you aren't going to drink (we are not drinkers and we had kids).
- Recent DinnerPhillyGirlDined on 7/24/2014We chose Witherspoon Grill because we were looking for quality steaks in the Princeton area. The bone-in ribeyes were amazing. The menu is great, lots of choices.Special Features:
- Busy nightEricHDined on 7/23/2014Great food but had to wait until 7:45 to be seated when we had 7:00 reservation. Manager was GREAT and gave us some gratis apps and coffee. They were overbooked but he kept his cool and was very sorry for the inconvenience..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodyVIPDined on 7/17/2014A really good "New York" steakhouse outside of NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with Friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014The Witherspoon Grill is one of my favorite restaurants to lunch with friends. I can always expect excellent service, great food, and a fun and comfortable atmosphere whether we are dining inside or outside the restaurant. My go to place! I loved my B-Day candle on the yummy Bananas Foster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location and good foodsFamilydiningDined on 7/11/2014We had a good time here. The pork chops and steak had done as we asked for. The Cesar salad was great. My sons finished them!!! I had fish which is also great. The service was great. The waitress knew what we wanted. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- SanchoPanzaJrVIPDined on 7/9/2014We've been here many times, but this visit was outstanding in every way from the service (Alyssa was terrific!), to the daily specials and the new under $30 a bottle wine list. Manager Robert was very cordial. A wonderful, relaxing lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2014We had an amazing brunch- everything we had was delicious. I always get the crab cake and chopped salad. My friend got the steak sandwich and he said it was the best he ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Witherspoon Grill DisappointsOpenTableFanVIPDined on 7/2/2014We had a group of 8. Arrived at 6:30 PM, entree served 90-minutes later, dessert served 1 hour later. After 3 hours I asked for the manager. It took 5 minutes for the server to find him. He was not sympathetic. After 3 hours I had to go to the manager again to ask for the check and then it was an additional 10-minutes before it arrived. I was entertaining colleagues visiting our college from Europe and across the country and I was quite embarrassed. I was also not pleased with the manager who did nothing to make any amends. While the food was outstanding, I would not take colleagues there again.Special Features:
- WaltyDined on 6/30/2014Food was very good and atmosphere was terrific. Very enjoyably experience. Highly recommend when in Princeton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun in the heart of PrincetonOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/29/2014I've eaten at Witherspoon Grill many times and keep coming back! The food never disappoints and the selection of entrees is fairly comprehensive; there is something for everyone. We had two vegetarians in our party and they both found plenty of choices. Eating outside is wonderful, but there can be a wait IF you don't make a reservation. The service is great - attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2014Food was fabulous - staff very attentive - sat out on patio - beautiful day - just a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:
- Good time in downtown PrincetonLuvurfishDined on 6/26/2014Even though we arrived late for our reservation we were seated immediately. No questions asked and had a fabulous meal and great service. Great wine list with excellent suggestions from bar and wait staff. Highly recommend whole fish selection. Well seasoned and great portion size for true fish lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for CelebrationsJeanneMDined on 6/21/2014Many options to choose from, attentive service, good food and creative cocktailsSpecial Features:
- Excellent, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Oysters are always the best around - service is fabulous - food cooked perfect everytime! Brought a couple with us that had never been there before - they we seriously impressed!Special Features:
- Too Expensive for what you get!CaresForFoodDined on 6/21/2014We ordered shrimp Cocktail and Caesar salad for starter. In Shrimp Cocktail, there were 6 shrimps for $16 which is about fine. Caesar salad came in a very small plate with two oily old fried toasts for $9. The breads couldn't be broken with teeth. Then we ordered 4 Filet Mignon steaks. A plate with one Filet Mignon steak in the middle and few shreds of fried onion came ($38) and without any sauce or sides. It is a crime to serve Filet Mignon dry in an empty plate. They should have some respect for steak. We ordered fries and mashed potatoes separately each for about $8. Both fries and mashed potatoes were old and reheated. I did not complain simply because my parents were my guests. I will not go there again and will not recommend it.
- Consistently goodVinceVIPDined on 6/20/2014By far one of the best restaurants in Princeton for service, ambiance, quality of food and price/value. We go here a lot and are always pleased with our experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You won't be dissappointedJohnBDined on 6/15/2014I have been here several times and never dissappointed. Service team is outstanding (attentive, responsive, professional and engaging) and choice of menu items gives a wide range for everyone. If I was forced to say something negative the Ceasar Salad portion is quite small for the price. The Bar is a great place to meet and the outdoor dining in downtown Princetion is one of the best. Parking is right next door which is another big plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressivepetelabVIPDined on 6/11/2014Witherspoon Grill is an absolute delight - downtown Princeton's non-chain version of Capital Grill, with excellent food, attentive service, and an overall well-run operation. Its price range dictates it as a special occasion destination, but well worth returning numerous times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeChefWannieDined on 6/11/2014Loved the food and the service was outstanding. Had one of the best wines ever there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceGenoDined on 6/10/2014Our dining experience at Witherspoon was wonderful as always. Our server, Rachel, was extremely informative, capable but also fun. There was a small jazz group playing but conversation was still able to be had in a normal voice. The trout was moist & delicious and the lobster risotto was heavenly.Special Features:
- Good place for lunchJSLNJDined on 6/10/2014First time at Witherspoon. Service was good, food came quick. Restaurant is right next next to the big parking lot, and very convenient.Special Features:
- Great outdoorsGeminFlemingtonDined on 6/7/2014We had lunch outside on the patio. Great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service. good foodJerseygirlDined on 6/5/2014The food was excellent. If I could do it all over again, I would pick another waiter. Not very nice...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.