Winthorpe and Valentine
99 South 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Winthorpe and Valentine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/dining/index.html?propertyID=1231&language=en_US
- Phone: 2155756930x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:30am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:00am - 12:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Daniel Tyrell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining Room features an intimate and personal setting for business meals, small events, or a special family occasion.
- Private Party Contact: James MacKenzie 215 563 1600x6927
- Special Events: Winthorpe & Valentine is participating in Center City Sips.
We will be offering $4 cocktails, $3 wine, $2 beer and several half-priced appetizers.
A word from Winthorpe and Valentine
An award-winning staff creates innovative, eclectic cuisine for lunch and dinner at Winthorpe & Valentine restaurant. The bar's comfortable atmosphere is the ideal setting to relax with your favorite beverage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Winthorpe and Valentine reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (3)romantic (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)neighborhood gem (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Wonderful experience!WanderingtravellerDined on 9/28/2014The atmosphere was quiet, elegant but not too stuffy. The food was wonderful, flavorful and ample as we sampled a variety of appetizers, main courses and desserts. A MUST try drink is the Valentine. The service was amazing, knowledgeable and friendly! I will certainly be returning again the next time I'm in Philadelphia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite a changeDowntownBobVIPDined on 8/30/2014The old dining room and bar are gone, replaced by an attractive bright, and very open space centered around the bar. I sat on the banquette, which was way too low for dining, the table top was at the height of my chest, very awkward for dining. Next time, we'll get a table with no banquette. The crab cakes were the best I have had in a very long time, truly excellent! The scallops were perfection too, but presentation of this entree could be improved. A very pleasant staff was very helpful. There were only a few people there, but of course, one guy was on his cell phone! Winthorpe and Valentine is a bar room serving creative and excellent food. The changed ambiance was a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Turkey BurgerPhillyGuyDined on 7/8/2014I come here often, however this time I ordered the turkey burger. It was great! Last time I had the Caesar salad with ahi tuna and it was also very good. It is a great place if you want to have a lunch meeting.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedTonyDined on 6/26/2014While I was disappointed in the time it took to seat us, the food was good and the atmosphere was perfect for the occasion.Special Features:
- The following 171 reviews are from the Winthorpe and Valentine reviews archive.
- Good food, poor serviceamyv2473Dined on 1/25/2014The food was good. There was only one person taking care of the bar and taking orders. When I arrived, I had no idea whether to seat myself or wait for the server. I made a reservation, but I saw people just sitting down casually at a table and being served, so I don't there I needed to. Other than having to wait, everything was okay.Special Features:
- Good for BusinessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/22/2014Conveniently located, this restaurant is a great place to take clients or to discuss business. The food is fine and the service is quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre bar lobby restaurantPaulVIPDined on 1/18/2014This is merely an overpriced hotel lobby restaurant next to the bar. Poor ambiance, mediocre food, and non-courteous service. There was nobody to greet us, we sat into a table next to the bar, and the overall experience with the food and service was poor. Not really appropriate for people outside the hotel.
- DisappointingDickDined on 1/2/2014Convenient restaurant in the Westin Hotel. Bar setting, limited menu. Food just OK, service pretty slow. Value fair.
- A spot in the WestinDB21Dined on 11/15/2013Ate at Winthorpe and Valentines in the Westin in Philly on 17th St. Good food, great service and a relaxing evening. We went after purchasing a travelzoo voucher and we were very glad we did !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the weather won't bother youMitchdishVIPDined on 11/6/2013The service is quite good but it is disconcerting not to have any windows in the restaurant. The chicken salad was enough to share and very tasty. If it's a nasty day and you want to be cucoon , this is the place to be. If you care about seeing the outside and people watching, this isn't it.
- Very good food, but the serviceAlexisBVIPDined on 10/7/2013Very good food, but the service was rather poor. As a result, I don't know if I would recommend this place for lunch. I don't know if they were just short handed or if this is the regular staffing level. We waited quite a while to get our order taken; then another while to get our order; and finally, had the check taken by someone other than our wait person. While we had no pressing appointments, the lunch took 1 1/2 hours, which is more than most folks have to spend. This needs to improve.Special Features:
- Huge SaladsChuckDined on 10/7/2013Creative salad menu and outstanding service. The room is looking a little tired.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLaylayVIPDined on 10/1/2013Service was great Corrine is by far one of best waitresses ive had!! She is warm and friendly. Food is pretty good as well..def recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- W&VHoneySuzyDined on 9/24/2013Food was fresh, services was good. staff was friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a good venue for businessBobbieDined on 9/4/2013This is a good venue for business meals. The acoustics are good; the food is diverse enough to suit most palates; the service is efficient but not overbearing. It is in Liberty Place so there's indoor parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for male business travelorsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2013The menu does not have anything special. It is just good solid traditional American fare. It struck me as appealing to the older male business travelor that likely stays in the hotel. The food quality was good and the portions large. The service was good but not great - we had to ask if there were any specials because she forgot to mention them. For a Thursday night we were surprised at how few diners were in the restaurant - the place was dead!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good and Not So GoodBobandBarbDined on 8/24/2013The hotel was elegant but when we walked in the restaurant we felt that the décor was a little dismal. Our shrimp cocktail was excellent - cooked to perfection and presented very nicely but the quality of our steaks were below par. The wait staff were very professional when they were serving but we had to wait quite awhile for every part of our meal from appetizer to desert. Our water glasses were never refilled. When our drinks were served I was served a cosmopolitan when I ordered a ginger ale and cranberry juice. So as I said - some of the experience was very good and some of it - not so good.
- I had one of the Living SocialOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/17/2013I had one of the Living Social Certificates and for the price if exceeded all my expectations. Food was very good and the service was excellent. I had the NY Strip, medium rare, and my girlfriend had the tuna, also medium rare. Both dinners came out perfectly. Bartender was also very social. I also received a special rate for the Westin Hotel which was a no-brainer so I didn't have to drive anywhere in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place to enjoy aOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/15/2013Excellent place to enjoy a cosy dinner or romantic night out. Try the truffle fries. All servers are polite and knowledagable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent New York StripOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2013Great steak...salmon was very good, tuna was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing spectacular ...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2013We took advantage of a Travelocity deal for 2 on a Friday night. Summer in the city is fairly dead. So not a lot of people. It was quiet and had no windows. Good hotel reataurant decor but it was dark. No windows in sight. Food was lack-luster. Beet salad was our favorite in our roasted chicken & New York strip steak dinner. Including the ultimate chocolate cake dessert. It looked like it came from your local chain grocery cake. It wasn't even a good portion. The side dish with both entrees included this pickled carrot that was completely tasteless. Overall, the meal was edible but nothing spectacular. It want worth the $$ if we paid regular price.
- Very enjoyable experiencerombergDined on 7/15/2013Very enjoyable experience and a FABULOUS salad. Great service. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:
- Hidden gemJohnnyDeeVIPDined on 6/29/2013Had dinnerr here and was pleasantly surpised considering that this restaurant is in a hotel. The food was excellent, had the shrimp cocktail and the mediterrean platter both nice portion sizes, six shrimp, most places you get 4. The seared tuna entree was perfectly done accompanied by sauted spinach and swet potatoes as was the day boat scallops with mashed potatoes. Finally the wine prices were very good, moderate in the mark ups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemDMG08003Dined on 6/27/2013Winthorpe & Valentine is something of a hidden gem, located inside the Westin Hotel, with minimal street-front notice of its existence. Once inside, you are greeted by warm tones, and smiling staff. Service was immediate and attentive, without being over-bearing. The staff are all amiable, graciously offer suggestions, and make you feel welcome throughout your visit. The food is always terrific. On this visit, I had a salad. W&T offers a unique take on salads, starting with several "base" salads to which you add your own choice of protein and dressing. Mine was terrific, and the Ahi tuna was prepared to perfection. I highly recommend Winthorpe & Valentine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedLucyVIPDined on 6/15/2013I do not like to write negative reviews but in this case I have to. This was our second visit to the restaurant using a social food deal. We enjoyed ourselves the first time but this went from bad to worse. Only four other tables had diners but the service was way too slow. It took over 20 minutes to order with another over 20 minutes wait for the appetizer and again for the main course. The hummus was tasty, my chicken was also good and my husband liked his steak. Again we waited to order dessert with ice cream arriving almost 30 minutes later. We like to take our time with dinner but this was ridiculous. I guess that is a reason they are offering a promotion. I will use the money at a better restaurant.
- Great Business LunchRbusDined on 6/4/2013It has a feel of a private club and the salads are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I had a wonderfulErinDined on 5/14/2013My husband and I had a wonderful dinner. The service was exceptional and the food was delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant to friends and family! Housed in the the Westin-- It is truly a hidden gem!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too much salt!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2013On a friday evening in May, this dark and dreary dining room was nearly empty. Service was prompt and pleasant, aided by the fact that there were few other diners in the room. Salads were only fair. The entrees were plated nicely, so that the food looked great when presented. However, tasting the food was a great disappointment.. The scallops were pretty, but not very fresh, and the entire plate had way too much salt. NY Strip Steak was a nice cut of meat, and properly cooked. The fresh vegetables that accompanied the steak were also fresh and lightly cooked. Instead of a brandy-peppercorn reduction, the steak was instead covered with a thick, brown gravy, and like the scallops, everything on the plate was way too heavily salted.
- Clean Up Your ActSteveKVIPDined on 4/19/2013What a disappointment! I remember when the Westin was the Ritz-Carlton, and much of the Ritz' ambience still exists in the lobby. But the restaurant is now very tired looking and not well-maintained. The carpet needs to be replaced - and vacuumed! The place was virtually empty, and still the service was slow. The food was not bad, but really lacked imagination. This joint needs a complete reimagining!
- It's a hotel restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/1/2013It's a hotel restaurant. Not like 10 arts. Great if you're staying at the Westin and need a quick drink at the bar before heading out but not the dining experience that Philadelphia has to offer.
- Amazing food — much bettermsydnirDined on 2/1/2013Amazing food — much better steak than any Philly steakhouses I've been to recently. The initial service was a bit slow — it took about 15 minutes to even get a drink menu — but after, everything was fine. Course pacing was perfect.Special Features:
- Divinely DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2013I had the opportunity to eat a meat with close family during restaurant week. I'd never been in this hotel nor the restaurant. I'm certainly glad we choose Winthorp and Valentine's. The food was delicious, the service was quite attentive and the portions were okay if you want to watch you figure. I really wanted more because it was so delicious. I would recommend this restaurant for any occasion you want to have a nice quiet intimate meal. Bon Appetit! I will eat here time and time again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The main entree (scallops)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/29/2013The main entree (scallops) were quite salty, which distracted from the flavor of the other components of the meal. The creme brulee was disappointing, with an uneven crisping of the top of the creme brulee. The service was very attentive, which was nice.
- The Food was Appealing But...codergrrlDined on 1/25/2013We decided to give Winthrop and Valentine a try for Restaurant Week and they prepared a lovely selection of choices for the Prix Fixe but overall the decor and general feel of the dining room ruined the experience for me. I was expecting something a little more old Philadelphia not stodgy but at least an updated version. The wine list was OK but the price per glass was a little high for the level of brand we were offered.Special Features:
- The restaurant was very quiet.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/23/2013The restaurant was very quiet. The staff was friendly but slow. The appetizers were excellent and the entrees were as well but the desserts were not that great. Overall, not a bad experience but not someplace Id rush back to either.
- Service was very slow butRJS123VIPDined on 1/23/2013Service was very slow but courteous. My food was terrible but others seemed ok with theirs. Mine was swimming in a pool of oil.
- I was pleasantly surprisedoutandaboutVIPDined on 1/12/2013I was pleasantly surprised to find it was upsacle food. the entrance said bar and grill so I was apprehensive. It was more than either of us could finish.Special Features:
- I take clients here quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/9/2013I take clients here quite often for breakfast and lunch. It is a good environment for business discussions with quiet, attentive service. Special requests are accommodated cheerfully.Special Features:
- Another outstanding dinnerwc2022Dined on 1/2/2013Another outstanding dinner and a great value on Groupon. The filet mignon was outstanding.
- Delicious food and good service.LandJVIPDined on 12/29/2012Delicious food and good service. Quiet and romantic.