3101 Bardstown Rd.
Louisville, KY 40205Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.winstonsoflouisville.com/
- Phone: 5024560980
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 1:30pm; Sunday: 9:30am - 1:30pm; Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 1:30pm; Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 6:30pm & 7:30pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Castro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Winston"s is available for booking private parties for groups up to 70 patrons. Group event organizers can choose from a modified lunch or dinner menu, or the Winston's chefs can customize a menu for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Mary Wheatley 5024138904
- Cross Street: Gardiner Lane
- Public Transit: Louisville's TARC bus route has a stop directly in front of our restaurant. Gardiner Lane and Bardstown Road.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: A large private lot for parking at Winston"s is directly in front of our door. Access to a handicapped ramp at the right side of the restaurant parking lot.
A word from Winston's Restaurant
Winston"s has been a Louisville favorite for 15 years. Sitting on the campus of Sullivan University, Winston's offers diners the opportunity to experience creative food in an intimate environment. Chef John Castro weaves together a menu of diner's favorites, like the Not Brown, Mojo Risin' and a melt in your mouth Fillet with more cutting edge newcomers like 'Deconstructed Pork Tamale' and Kuhio Crab Salad. Winston's is directly off the Watterson Xway (264) at Bardstown Road. The dining room is cozy with 15 tables. Winston's servers are friendly and approachable. Full Bar Service includes favorites like 'Castro Cosmo', Drs. Orders, and a broad wine list featuring wines from most major wine producing country.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Winston's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Winston's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (25)fit for foodies (23)great for brunch (16)romantic (14)great for lunch (13)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (9)notable wine list (6)hot spot (2)Show More
- always a treat!minlouDined on 10/10/2014I love Winston's, either solo or with friends. You're always welcomed happily & treated like a valued guest. The staff is top-notch professional, yet warm and friendly; you never feel like you're a "job" to them. Nick is the best server i've encountered here or at any other restaurant i've visited this year; he's the perfect balance of attentiveness, food knowledge, and friendliness. Mary the hostess (manager?) is always very gracious and worth mentioning for her warmth and quiet supervision of the restaurant! And then there's the food! I try to get something different each time i come here, and am never disappointed: the beef cuts are obviously superior quality, needing no sauces for embelishment. & you must do the sunday brunch!Special Features:
- What a place!abbchocolateDined on 9/27/2014Our lunch was delicious (the Cuban sandwich) but the dessert really made the experience memorable (for a chocola-holic!) We ordered the chocolate cake with orange butter cream. It was great, not sweet, an overall great chocolate flavour with a butter cream that was not overpowering. One of our friends ordered the 'Not brown' and had never eaten something like it, so unusual. He also ordered the cheese cake and even that was out of this world, so light and airy, not your regular dense cheesecakes. Both desserts were artfully displayed worth a picture (first time ever). Thanks for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for any occassionwishwareDined on 9/21/2014We go to Winston's anytime we want a special meal, their menu is always changing and adding new and creative dishes, definitely a good place for foodies. We had my Mom's 90th birthday party there and they provided special touches for her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTopbestDined on 9/19/2014Would return again with guests, service was excellent, management of service was superior to other local Restrauant s I would recommend to entertain here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Highlands' treatCardKateDined on 9/14/2014Winston's is hidden away from Bardstown Rd., but it is very accessible from any direction. There is very adequate parking, and the atmosphere, while simple is quite elegant. We especially enjoy having brunch there. Servers are attentive but they do not hover. Food is good and reasonably priced, although this visit was not quite as good as previous times. My favorite thing about Winston's is that it is quiet and no one is rushing you out the door - so you can linger over your coffee, dessert, or drink without guilt. I'll chalk this most recent visit up to anyone can have a less than perfect day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlueDined on 9/6/2014At two separate points I tried to order something that was listed on the menu, only to have the waiter come back and tell me they don't have it. We were there to celebrate our anniversary, so it deflated the evening for me. The food I had was OK, but it wasn't what I really wanted to eat, so that made a difference. I really wasn't expecting that type of experience at an upscale restaurant. The atmosphere was great for an intimate evening!! Had this restaurant actually provided what it had listed on the menu, this review could have been different.Special Features:
- ExcellentBartDined on 8/22/2014Outstanding in all respects. Lot of innovative dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonameDined on 8/22/2014Good but doesnt seem to be up to the standard it used to be. We had not been there since Valentine's when we had a terrible experience. Mary Wheatley is the saving grace of this restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Food was delicious to the last bite Service was very good. We asked if air could be turned down and it was taken care of promptly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunchimpressedinlvilleDined on 8/10/2014We had gotten recommendations on this restaurant before we tried it out and so we expected to be pleased. And we were. The food was great, the presentation was over the top and the service was very attentive. We highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this worldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014This is not my first time at Winston's and it always exceeds expectations: great, great food / excellent service - just a wonderful place.Special Features:
- Exquisite diningFoodtothemaxDined on 8/8/2014This was not our first trip to Winston's. It was our first experience with the Heirloom Tomato Dinner. It was wonderful from the Pineapple tomato Singapore Sling to the Green Tomato Brown Betty. Chef John Castro had a magical meal using a large variety of local produce. The lamb chops were divine!Special Features:
- Loved the food and learned a lotMaryktDined on 8/8/2014We attended the annual Heirloom Tomato Dinner at Winston's. It was a revelation! Chef Castro not only prepared a delicious meal making good advantage of the lovely produce, but spoke about the ingredients and the preparation. I had not gone to this event in the past because I do not eat pork or shellfish. This year only one course contained either and Chef Catro graciously substituted fried green tomatoes for the scallop on our appetizer course. The entree included the tastiest lamb I have ever had. The star of the meal was the delicious tomatoes and that is as it should be! Most of us could make a wonderful meal using the best seasonal tomatoes but it was a truly memorable occasion experiencing what a talented chef can do with them.Special Features:
- ALWAYS GREAT !dandryphotoVIPDined on 8/8/2014Once again Winston's Restaurant and Chef John Castro prove that they are at the top of the heap in this Foodie Town. With Castro and crew in the kitchen and Mary Wheatley at the Front of the House helm - this is a true dynamic makes for a knockout combination ! All across the board; food, service, atmosphere and hospitality, this hot spot is top drawer, not to be missed and ALWAYS GREAT !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, a good experienceLuciDined on 8/8/2014Had a pleasant lunch with friends - we were able to relax and chat and did not feel rushed at all. My seafood frittata sounded more delicious than it was; the eggs were overcooked and a bit dry. However, the appetizers were lovely, and the service was friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- bobtravelsDined on 8/7/2014We were there by accident for the Heirloom Tomato fixed dinner and it was outstandingly conceived and executed. The wine accompaniment was uneven, with excellent whites and not so excellent reds. However the pours were very generous for that sort of thing. We do not know anything about the restaurant with its regular menu in place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatHappyPatronDined on 8/2/2014The meal was well prepared. The servers were attentive but not intrusive. Chef John did and outstanding job and was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBkwlouDined on 7/20/2014Beautiful plate of pastries started the meal, but they were all stale. Our orders included shellfish which you could smell when the servers were 10 ft from our table. My mother's dish contained "crunchy" shrimp???? The shells had not been removed from the crab in my dish. This was my mother's birthday an we were very disappointed.
- Not sureshepherdDined on 7/12/2014Server young and inexperienced and didn't know the menu. Short rib and rice appetizer was great. Basic Filet was to come with au gratin potatoes, but came with an undercooked baked potato. Steak and green beans were very tasty, but the steak came out luke warm along with a luke warm potato. Maybe will try again, but will not be first thought.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Relaxing atmosphere and a GREAT in and out for lunch in 1 hour. Parking convenient with great atmostphere for a business lunch or group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 294 reviews are from the Winston's Restaurant reviews archive.
- MDR1Dined on 6/22/2014The overall quality did not seem to be as high as in the past.Special Features:
- unique retirement celebrationEllenVIPDined on 6/7/2014The staff at Winston's Restaurant bent over backward to ensure that 5 of us had a blast as we celebrated 3 retirements in an unusual manner! We will return to Winston's because of all the right reasons!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasteful, elleganceDRCRNDined on 6/6/2014I decided to surprise my wife this weekend by taking her to Winston's to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Everything from the time we arrive until the time we left was wonderfully done. We have always consider Winston's a "special place" in our family and it never fails to live up to or exceed our expectations!Special Features:
- Always UniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014Winston's is one of Louisville's classic dining experiences. The education component that links Sullivan University's Chef training to Winston's Restaurant make the dining experience different each time you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ServiceWaddycrewDined on 5/18/2014Food and service were excellent. Lots of attention to detail. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Selections outstandingdining4uDined on 5/11/2014We have dined at Winston's on several occasions and we've never been disappointed at the selections of delicious foods. Always something new and different. We especially like the Mother's Day Brunch with live music and such a delightful spread of foods. We've never been disappointed at Winston's. Such a delight for special occasions like anniversaries too. The atmosphere is very upscale. You're made to feel special from the maitre d to the servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, horrible foodYankeesVIPDined on 5/11/2014Service for brunch was very good, everyone was polite and attentive. The food on the other hand was very mediocre and actually the chilled shrimp tasted old and probably were, or on the verge, of being spoiled. Most of the offerings were very bland and just so average for the price. I would not waste time or money dining here.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014This was the second time in a row that the food on the menu was not available. They tried to substitute for less quality meat and fish. Disappointed of the lack of preparation for regular items on the menu. I have been there lots of times and have always been satisfied until lately.
- 140derby140derbyDined on 5/4/2014excellent service, excellent food, excellent atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Easter brunch!JanmorDined on 4/20/2014Winston's Easter brunch was delicious and was much better than the usual buffet-style food at other local restaurants. We enjoyed a quiet, peaceful meal that was fitting for the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Tables much too close.BigJakeDined on 4/20/2014Good food & service. Tables much too close together. Patrons cannot move about the room table without touching a seated diner. For example, entering to take your seat or to go to the rest room. It is irritating to have people constantly brushing my back when I am trying to enjoy a pricey meal. Need to remove some of the tables in the dining room. They could not run my Louisville Originals card & I did not get my points.
- Easter BrunchgoodfoodaddictionDined on 4/20/2014The Easter Brunch was very good. The desserts were excellent. All got to choose a starter, entree, and dessert. It was reasonbly priced for the meal served. The staff were very friendly. They were a little slow between courses but it was not terrible. All family members liked what they got. They let each of the grandchildren pick an Easter egg which was a nice touch. We would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasions!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Excellent food and friendly efficient service. Highly recommend this eating establishment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place to EatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014We enjoyed the food and atmosphere at Brunch. Would recommend to others. Prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family GatheringSuzieDined on 4/6/2014Thank you Winston's, we enjoyed sitting and catching up on family over a quite and delightful meal.Special Features:
- went for bruch. had a fishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2014went for bruch. had a fish special which i ordered. it was huge, sowas the price - twice more than any fish item on th menu. asked waiter about the - he said item was a dinner item they moved to bruch specials to sell the fish.
- Could have been betterdiscriminatingdinersDined on 4/5/2014Server was terrific, could not have done a better job of answering questions or providing discrete attentive service. Excellent reasonably priced bourbon flight. BUT ... the kitchen could have done a better job: lukewarm baked potato, overcooked meat, terrible "lump crab cakes," missing elements on plate, skimpy undressed Caesar salad. We know Winston's has an ambition to be top-rated; however, they need more attention to quality control in the kitchen before the food is served.Special Features:
- Nice night outghettiDined on 4/5/2014We had been here before, and experienced another yummy dinner. Attentive service, well prepared food, and overall a good experience. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Winston's a Diamond in the RoughPodgeridgeDined on 4/4/2014More than a diamond in the rough. It is a well polished gem. Winston's has come a long way, from just a training site for new students. It is a well organized and managed place to relax and enjoy a 5 star meal. Our new favorite place. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2014Service was 'good' but not as GREAT as has been in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.