Wink and Nod
3 Appleton St.
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Wink and Nod
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.winkandnod.com/
- Phone: (617) 482-0117
- Hours of Operation:
Nightly: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Josh Lewin of Bread and Salt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Wink and Nod
Bread & Salt at Wink & Nod is a unique establishment partnering Wink & Nod's fully scratch craft cocktail program with Chef Josh Lewin's Bread & Salt crafting innovative takes on globally inspired cuisine and culture aiming to give our guests the best of both worlds. Here you will find creative bar snacks, exciting appetizers, and unique dishes like Bread & Salt's signature hand rolled pasta with foraged mushrooms, curry leaf oil and heirloom basils. Our bar is fully stocked with fine and rare spirits, ranging from house infused vodkas and cordials, a well consisting of all local distillers, and $100 cocktail using saffron infused ingredients imported from France exclusively for Wink & Nod. Our dynamic dining room offers casual seating at and around the bar, a quiet fine dining setting, as well as a luxurious lounge area to enjoy your drinks and late-night menu served untilContinued
We are 21+
We are 21+
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Wink and Nod - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Wink and Nod reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (39)fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (27)hot spot (25)special occasion (18)romantic (17)late-night find (17)good for groups (11)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Followed the lead from review on The ChronicleFoodforthoughtDined on 11/22/2014Martinis were delicious served from busy bartenders who did not connect with customers. Too busy filling orders. We were disappointed that we didn't get to sit in the little romantic lounge area as it had been reserved for a group. Good thinking ahead on their part. Our dinner was delicious and the serving perfectly timed for a relaxing dinner. We did not feel rushed. Restaurant is small and intimate. Wonderful to be away from the big box feel. Great overall ambience just, please, have the background music be more matched to the restaurant theme. Loved the doorman! Will return again for food and bring headphone to pipe in better music then call it a perfect evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AvrilDined on 11/22/2014I really really wanted to like Wink & Nod and there were elements that were great but overall, it was underwhelming. The doorman was nice, the staff was unpretentious, the cocktails were okay (but at the high end if the price spectrum and had a light touch on the alcohol pour), but the food was rough. The food was expensive, not well seasoned, and the plate size was woefully small. For a great night out and for the same amount of money, you could go to Craigie on Main and do apps or another restaurant. Pretty disappointed...Special Features:
- Excellent food and service. Too noisySteelMagnoliaDined on 11/21/2014Unfortunately, it was much too noisy. Not only were we not only able to maintain a conversation, it was difficult talking with/ hearing wait staff!! Would come up higher on our "places to go" list if they could address acoustical issues!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant and barMollyDined on 11/20/2014I took my partner here for his birthday thinking it would hit most of the right notes for him, and it was a symphony. He absolutely loved Wink & Nod for its speak-easy vibe, smart cocktails, and amazing food. We're not foodies, but this was totally next level eating for us both. He had the Quail first course and it was really to die for. I'm pretty knowledgeable about food and I couldn't even put my finger on what made it so fantastic (a little mystery or surprise is always a key element to something being spectaular, IMO). Our server was very attentive and went over anything we asked about, she was knowledgeable about the drinks, their ingredients, and the food. We'll definitely be back again. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014Wink and Nod was a mixed bag on November 15th. We ordered 3 appetizers, all of which were lacking flavor and portion size. Regardless of the "class of restaurant" these portion sizes were SMALL. Flavor did not make up for the price. Based on that alone I probably wouldn't go back for food. I ordered the chicken for my main course which luckily was the best thing on the menu. My girlfriend ordered pasta that was over powered with a mustard sauce. We ordered two desserts which again were lacking flavor. The PB&J had a weird gelatin that tasted like air. The apple crisp was ice cold, isn't apple crisp warm?! I would definitely go back to drink at the bar and order chicken, but wouldn't take a friend, girlfriend, family, or business there.Special Features:
- Great spot for drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Such a great spot! Great alcohol menu. Our food was delicious. My only caviat is that the portions were small, so make sure to get an appetizer if you're hungry! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the conceptJackieAVIPDined on 11/14/2014Bread & Salt's menu at Wink & Nod was brilliant. The tagliatelle with pumpkin seeds and porcine mushrooms was divine. I loved the tomato cured foie gras torchon and the steak tartare with a touch of smoky. Pure heaven. The cocktails were incredible, too. Scofflaw and The Cure were delicious bourbon concoctions. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still my favoriteAliceTanDined on 11/10/2014Hosted a birthday party there once again. All my friends is enjoyed it. Remarkable wine/drinking menu, lots of option and great taste. The snacks menu is a must try! There's one is chicken liver puree and it's rememberable! Also the entrees is flavorful~ The services is great, and we got free georgetown cupcakes as birthday gift. Definietly come again!~Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteelMagnoliaDined on 11/8/2014Food and service were excellent. Just too noisy for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Identity crisis.viaggiatore22Dined on 11/8/2014Food was very good, but, rated the overall experience as only "fair". Restaurant itself suited to friends getting together in a high end bar setting with great bar food. Not a destination for dinner with friends sharing nice conversation. Loud, noisy setting. Sercice just ok, felt rushed (one of our friends finished her dinner first and they wisked her plate away while the rest of us were still eating). Will not return.Special Features:
- Wink and NodPammyVIPDined on 11/7/2014We had a fabulous dinner at Wink and Nod. The service was excellent and our server Zoe was pleasant, attentive an very knowledgeable about the menu. She made you want to order everything! The crafted cocktails were delicious, the food was FABULOUS and I would definitely return to this South End Gem! This dinner was a special birthday celebration and it was a nice touch to receive a beverage from the restaurant so we could have a toast for our celebration.Special Features:
- Delicious!TeachVIPDined on 10/31/2014Eat here! Very quiet early on Halloween night and we loved our cozy round table in the corner for 4. I very much enjoyed everything I ate. The cauliflower 4 ways, the brussel sprouts and the monkfish were delicious. I especially loved the tagliatelle - the pasta was delicate with scrumptious flavors from the pumpkin and mushrooms. I'm ready to go back right now and order it again. The bottle of Stag's Leap chardonnay we ordered was also surprisingly good. Next time I'll get one of the mixed drinks just to change it up a bit. We appreciated that our server didn't mind that we sat and chatted even when we were done eating - it was still early....Special Features:
- Beat expectationsHankVIPDined on 10/30/2014The reviews both on Open Table and Yelp have been very mixed. My friends and I visited pre-theatre and were impressed. Lovely space although very dark (for us old folks who can't read the menu). The server was delightful and knowledgeable. Drinks were outstanding (loved the Old Queen). Our meals were very good and we tried a mix of stuff. My pork was cooked perfectly and although a bit pricey it was a very nice evening.Special Features:
- Fun speak easy style restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Great drinks, good food. TONS of brands of alcohol, right up my alley. Just opened so I had to try it out. Brought a date there and it was a great spot for it. I would expect the menu to change regularly but since I have only been once I cannot comment on that yet. Overall good experienceSpecial Features:
- Interesting Concept that falls flatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014The idea that wink&nod is an incubator of sorts for different kitchens (on a 6 month rotations) is interesting and commendable however the food (on this rotation) just wasn't up to the same level as the drinks and service. The entree portion for the chicken was just slightly larger than what one would expect for an appetizer (if you order an entree you need to order some sides too but that was not communicated to us) the pasta was about the correct size but it was all stuck together in a ball. Some of the flavors were spot on (lobster curry) others were limp (mushroom consommé) and they were already out of several dishes by 8:00. Go for the drinks and a snack but don't waste your time on an actual meal.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereAndreaVIPDined on 10/17/2014The ambiance and decor is really cool. Delicious cocktails. Our server was top notch. We had several apps and the small plates. Only complaint was that they are super small-definitely 'tasting" plates! All in all a fun night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AGMMDined on 10/16/2014I love the ambiance in this place...great "speakeasy" vibe. Food is spectacularly prepared, although portions are small relative to price. Our server was attentive and very sweet, but at times it felt like she was trying too hard.Special Features:
- UghEBostonFoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014I ate at Wink and Nod almost six months ago and LOVED it. Black pasta, kale salad, everything was amazing. I come now with a friend and ordered 6 different dishes (apps, sides, main courses, dessert) and literally thought everything was bland and boring. I was so so disappointed and won't be coming back. So hit or miss apparently.
- Wanted to loveDoubleDVIPDined on 10/15/2014Food was very subpar Wanted to love it, but nothing met expectations and the portions were hysterically small. It's like they watched a movie about fancy fare and tried to recreate. Swing and a miss
- Night in BostonGoranos56VIPDined on 10/10/2014What a night , from the bar list of specialty drinks and the menu of small and large plates , excellent, the marinated a choices and tea cured salmon amazing, the poached curry leaf monkfish and the pork and clams , perfectly balanced flavours and portion sizes , we'll see you again Wink and Nod with family in tow, Cheers !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks, small foodJessVIPDined on 10/3/2014Cocktails were great, atmosphere was really cool and fun. We did entrees and they were shockingly small, particularly the chicken, which was not nearly large enough to satisfy a petite woman. The server did not warn us of the small portion sizes, so we ordered sides after the fact. Delicious food, but small and pricey. I'd stick to the drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/30/2014The restaurant and bar are lovely to look at and our server was pleasant but she didn't really want to know about the quality of the food. The drinks were too expensive ($14 for a glass) and the food was unevenly seasoned. The tomato salad was in need of salt and the peach corn desert filled my mouth with black pepper. When I told the second server that when asked about how the desert was, her reply was "yes, the pastry chef likes using savory elements in her desert." Savory elements in desert are interesting and fine, of course, but not when they are all in packed into a single bite. We were the only diners which is why the noise level was quiet but, I imagine, that the attractive bar could get very lively on other nights.Special Features:
- Tiny Bland Foodlaste828VIPDined on 9/26/2014This place serves tiny, bland food. The portions are tapa size, but are served as entrees. There is apparently no salt or pepper in the kitchen. The bar is beautiful and vibrant. Stick to this place for drinks.Special Features:
- Good for drinks.cfh1VIPDined on 9/20/2014This is definitely a place to go for drinks. Great atmosphere. The wine list, on the the other hand, left something to be desired, just 5 reds and 5 whites - the same by the bottle or the glass. The service was first rate. Our server knew the menu quite well and made some good recommendations. The beef tartare was the best thing on the mene. It was a generous portion and included some fried juniper berries and (I think) some mushrooms. It was accompanied by some delicious home-made potato chips. The rest of the meal was OK. The "Cauliflower Four Ways" was attractively prepared and had some interesting ingredients, including a sous vide-egg but was surprisingly bland. The Quail special was tasty but way too salty.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014The appetizers were on the smaller side, and the food took a very long time to come out.
- DelightfulSonjaDined on 9/20/2014We came to have drinks to celebrate a birthday, and we ended up having an outstanding meal. We shared several of the small starters. All were very good; the peaches with honey, the cauliflower, and the house-made sausage were our favorites because of the interesting mix of flavors, spices, and textures. Our entrees, especially the mushroom tagliatelle and the roasted quail, were outstanding. We never expected to find such high-end food in a cocktail lounge. If you go for dinner, be sure to sit outside the bar area, where the seating arrangements are comfortable and quiet enough for conversation.Special Features:
- AvoidIdaBNDined on 9/18/2014Worst dining experience in boston. The waitress was embarrssed but managements response was lackluster.
- HopefulHopeitgetsbetterDined on 9/6/2014We had 8pm reservations, but did not receive our entrees until 10pm. When they came all 5 different dishes had overly strong salt and pepper seasoning. The apps read well on paper, but present less favorably. The service tried to make for it, but this restaurant needs some time to work things out. Finally, the valet service locked the keys in the car.
- Out of everythingDisappointedDined on 9/5/2014We had reservations for 8pm. Everything we wanted to order was already sold out by 9pm. If it weren't a late night spot, it would be more easily understood. But being open late night, it made no sense. The tall drinks weren't as tasty as the coupe drinks. I ordered a vodka and tequila tall drink, both left a lot to be desired. Service was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/5/2014Although all the food tasted very good, some of the portions were incredibly small for the price. Particularly, the peaches with ricotta for $14. In addition, we never received bread because they were out of bread and our meal took almost an hour to come out. Our waitress was great but the overall service was just slow. The drinks are excellent. Would return for drinks, but probably not again for dinner.Special Features:
- enjoy the drinks and skip the foodandyDined on 9/5/2014The cocktails are amazing and creative, and the bar list is extensive. I also really loved the ambiance, with the comfy chairs and speakeasy feel. But that's where the good things end. They've recently turned over their kitchen staff, and I was really underwhelmed by the food. It was the first week of their "new" kitchen, and it really felt like they were trying to hard. The food was overpriced, over salted, and undersized. With the price tag, I had high expectations, and was disappointed. Maybe if everything was 2/3rd the price, I'd be more likely to go back for food. p.s -- How does a place that opened this spring need to replace their entire kitchen already?Special Features:
- Comme Ci Comme CaKimbaVIPDined on 8/13/2014Cocktails were what we have come to expect from the Boston bar scene but the bartenders had an attitude and it was not very friendly. Food is inventive but sizes were all over the place so ask your server for recommendations. For example, the steak frites is a child's plate while the snack bowl of brussels sprout is a soup bowl. Would go back for drinks and a snack but won't rush back.Special Features:
- The following 23 reviews are from the Wink and Nod reviews archive.
- Wink & Nod- 2 Thumbs UpLuckyGuyDined on 7/16/2014Food was great. Small plates to share. Try as many as you like-all are excellent. Chef Jeremy came to our table and told us a few cooking tips. Very Nice of him to do that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovemyfoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/15/2014Great cocktails & delicious food with a fun presentation.Special Features:
- Underground gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014The food at this bar is more than just pub food. The chef is incredibly inventive and the favors are definitely there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A B-day to rememberBboyDined on 7/12/2014Celebrated a B-day recently with friends. The entire staff combined to make this a memorable night. Our server Red was awesome and acted as our guide throughout the evening. Chef Jeremy created an impressive lineup of courses that married a spot on cocktail pairing. Could not have asked for a better overall experience. I’m forgetting names but everyone from the doorman/hostesses/bartenders/ Red and Chef Jeremy pulled out all the stops to make the night. Thanks all – the B-day boySpecial Features:
- AmandaDined on 6/14/2014Food was great, impressive. Service was VERY slow - seemed like they were forgetting about us many times, and they were out of a few of the more interesting menu items. Regardless, we were very please with everything we ordered, and they were apologetic about the lack of attentiveness.Special Features:
- paulDined on 6/14/2014great service excellent food though the menu was quite limited so would predict some people would be unhappy.The ease of tasting a wider selection was appealing. We ate somewhat early and so had no nice to deal with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So close.....SouthEndRutlandVIPDined on 6/9/2014This is a fun, unique spot. Tucked away out of sight, there is a sense of discovering something special when you enter their space. The decor is classy and the bar area and lounge area are inviting. That's the good news. The bad news is that the noise level is VERY high. They crank loud, metal music which clashes with the "classy" aspect of the decor. Many of the tables are high tops and booths, and it is not comfortable seating. We have gone twice; both times service was uneven and there was a sense of disorganization. This place has the potential to be that "hidden gem" you delight in introducing to friends. But for now, it is loud, not comfortable, and service is uneven. With work they can move to a better rating.Special Features:
- Great SpotTracyDined on 5/31/2014Remembering it as the old Icarus and Noche' they did a great job with the room and the food is outstanding, But have learned that the chef's have signed on for only a year hope they can replace them Untill then enjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.