Wink and Nod
3 Appleton St.
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Wink and Nod
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.winkandnod.com/
- Phone: 6174820117x
- Hours of Operation:
Nightly: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Josh Lewin of Bread and Salt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Wink and Nod
Bread & Salt at Wink & Nod is a unique establishment partnering Wink & Nod's fully scratch craft cocktail program with Chef Josh Lewin's Bread & Salt crafting innovative takes on globally inspired cuisine and culture aiming to give our guests the best of both worlds. Here you will find creative bar snacks, exciting appetizers, and unique dishes like Bread & Salt's signature hand rolled pasta with foraged mushrooms, curry leaf oil and heirloom basils. Our bar is fully stocked with fine and rare spirits, ranging from house infused vodkas and cordials, a well consisting of all local distillers, and $100 cocktail using saffron infused ingredients imported from France exclusively for Wink & Nod. Our dynamic dining room offers casual seating at and around the bar, a quiet fine dining setting, as well as a luxurious lounge area to enjoy your drinks and late-night menu served untilContinued
We are 21+
We are 21+
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Wink and Nod - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Wink and Nod reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (30)late-night find (23)fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (17)hot spot (15)special occasion (14)good for groups (13)notable wine list (2)Show More
- DelightfulSonjaDined on 9/20/2014We came to have drinks to celebrate a birthday, and we ended up having an outstanding meal. We shared several of the small starters. All were very good; the peaches with honey, the cauliflower, and the house-made sausage were our favorites because of the interesting mix of flavors, spices, and textures. Our entrees, especially the mushroom tagliatelle and the roasted quail, were outstanding. We never expected to find such high-end food in a cocktail lounge. If you go for dinner, be sure to sit outside the bar area, where the seating arrangements are comfortable and quiet enough for conversation.Special Features:
- AvoidOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014Worst dining experience in boston. The waitress was embarrssed but managements response was lackluster.
- HopefulHopeitgetsbetterDined on 9/6/2014We had 8pm reservations, but did not receive our entrees until 10pm. When they came all 5 different dishes had overly strong salt and pepper seasoning. The apps read well on paper, but present less favorably. The service tried to make for it, but this restaurant needs some time to work things out. Finally, the valet service locked the keys in the car.
- Out of everythingDisappointedDined on 9/5/2014We had reservations for 8pm. Everything we wanted to order was already sold out by 9pm. If it weren't a late night spot, it would be more easily understood. But being open late night, it made no sense. The tall drinks weren't as tasty as the coupe drinks. I ordered a vodka and tequila tall drink, both left a lot to be desired. Service was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Although all the food tasted very good, some of the portions were incredibly small for the price. Particularly, the peaches with ricotta for $14. In addition, we never received bread because they were out of bread and our meal took almost an hour to come out. Our waitress was great but the overall service was just slow. The drinks are excellent. Would return for drinks, but probably not again for dinner.Special Features:
- enjoy the drinks and skip the foodandyDined on 9/5/2014The cocktails are amazing and creative, and the bar list is extensive. I also really loved the ambiance, with the comfy chairs and speakeasy feel. But that's where the good things end. They've recently turned over their kitchen staff, and I was really underwhelmed by the food. It was the first week of their "new" kitchen, and it really felt like they were trying to hard. The food was overpriced, over salted, and undersized. With the price tag, I had high expectations, and was disappointed. Maybe if everything was 2/3rd the price, I'd be more likely to go back for food. p.s -- How does a place that opened this spring need to replace their entire kitchen already?Special Features:
- Comme Ci Comme CaKimbaVIPDined on 8/13/2014Cocktails were what we have come to expect from the Boston bar scene but the bartenders had an attitude and it was not very friendly. Food is inventive but sizes were all over the place so ask your server for recommendations. For example, the steak frites is a child's plate while the snack bowl of brussels sprout is a soup bowl. Would go back for drinks and a snack but won't rush back.Special Features:
- Wink & Nod- 2 Thumbs UpLuckyGuyDined on 7/16/2014Food was great. Small plates to share. Try as many as you like-all are excellent. Chef Jeremy came to our table and told us a few cooking tips. Very Nice of him to do that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovemyfoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/15/2014Great cocktails & delicious food with a fun presentation.Special Features:
- Underground gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014The food at this bar is more than just pub food. The chef is incredibly inventive and the favors are definitely there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A B-day to rememberBboyDined on 7/12/2014Celebrated a B-day recently with friends. The entire staff combined to make this a memorable night. Our server Red was awesome and acted as our guide throughout the evening. Chef Jeremy created an impressive lineup of courses that married a spot on cocktail pairing. Could not have asked for a better overall experience. I’m forgetting names but everyone from the doorman/hostesses/bartenders/ Red and Chef Jeremy pulled out all the stops to make the night. Thanks all – the B-day boySpecial Features:
- AmandaDined on 6/14/2014Food was great, impressive. Service was VERY slow - seemed like they were forgetting about us many times, and they were out of a few of the more interesting menu items. Regardless, we were very please with everything we ordered, and they were apologetic about the lack of attentiveness.Special Features:
- paulDined on 6/14/2014great service excellent food though the menu was quite limited so would predict some people would be unhappy.The ease of tasting a wider selection was appealing. We ate somewhat early and so had no nice to deal with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So close.....SouthEndRutlandDined on 6/9/2014This is a fun, unique spot. Tucked away out of sight, there is a sense of discovering something special when you enter their space. The decor is classy and the bar area and lounge area are inviting. That's the good news. The bad news is that the noise level is VERY high. They crank loud, metal music which clashes with the "classy" aspect of the decor. Many of the tables are high tops and booths, and it is not comfortable seating. We have gone twice; both times service was uneven and there was a sense of disorganization. This place has the potential to be that "hidden gem" you delight in introducing to friends. But for now, it is loud, not comfortable, and service is uneven. With work they can move to a better rating.Special Features:
- Great SpotTracyDined on 5/31/2014Remembering it as the old Icarus and Noche' they did a great job with the room and the food is outstanding, But have learned that the chef's have signed on for only a year hope they can replace them Untill then enjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!hrainVIPDined on 5/30/2014Great restaurant. Had duck fat potato skins, oysters, and squid ink pasta - all very good, particularly the latter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an odd experience...chuckmac07VIPDined on 5/28/2014on the plus side: nicely-prepared food, interesting menu & a chef who took the time to come out and ask us how we were doing on the challenging side: a personality-less greeter, a menu oriented toasted red meat & fat, a dark/lounge-like setting and furniture, no coffee or tea (they can't boil water for tea?!) and most bizarre: a server who visited us every 3 minutes, who kept telling us everything is delicious & hand made (it was), who kept re-arranging our table layout and who basically hovered & intruded throughout the dinner i voted "no" above, but this place is new so hopefully they'll work out the kinks, get new staff or better train the current team, and keep the food quality, because it WAS very good.Special Features:
- The following 13 reviews are from the Wink and Nod reviews archive.
- ExquisiteAncelisDined on 5/23/2014Great food, fun drinks. Great ambience. Professional, and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure eleganceKash925Dined on 5/3/2014I love this place! Like stepping into a speakeasy, you are instantly transported to a place where cool things happen. The food also is unlike anything else, inventive but still staying crave able. A must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wink , don't nodSouthenderVIPDined on 5/3/2014Wanted to try new spot in neighborhood, despite the fact we heard portions were tiny. They were fine if you understood this was a "small plate" place. However the menu was extremely limited and not faithful to the one posted on line. They had already run out of things by 8:30 on Saturday night. What we had was good and fresh, partucularly the cauliflower and the black pasta. Despite the fact that it is essentially a lounge and has a drink list that takes up several pages, there was not an oaky Chardonnay by the glass, nor did they have onions for my husband's drink. The restaurant is way overpriced. YWe paid 150 for 6 small plates and one drink each including tip. We could have eaten at a fine restaurant for that price.Special Features:
- Eclectic speakeasy feelGaz1Dined on 5/2/2014Booked a party of five guys. First table just wouldn't fit us (LOL) a circular booth by the bar... Host immediately changed us to a larger booth in the back restaurant.no argument or fuss!! Service was great (thanks Red!!)...Food was good!! Drinks were good!! Small plates, tapas style... Definitely in the upper $$$. Go plan to have a good time and worry less about the bill...Special Features:
- Unique addition to the neighborhoodBonChicVIPDined on 5/2/2014I've been to this local when it was "Noche", Wink and Nod has used the space brilliantly, opening up the dining area to the bar and making you feel like you are part of bar scene while dining. Menu has daily changes and drink list is fun! Service was great and the food was delicious. Worth checking out.Special Features:
- Not for me...DisappointedVIPDined on 4/29/2014This was my only visit and it started off stange with the doorman required to scan my driver's license. Not sure why and if I was not cold I would have turned away then, but really set off the wrong tone. The restaurant is dark and with no windows gives it a feel that you are some place you are not supposed to be. Not horrible in winter, but for summer too dreary. Food is inventive, creative, flavorful and well presented, but the small plates and big prices make this a place to drink and nosh vs. have dinner. The drinks were inventive and priced well for quality and caliber. I am glad we tried it, but not a place I would recommend or retrun to.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2014We had a terrible waiter who failed (among other mistakes) to mention that the plates were all tiny. They were priced and positioned on the menu like full sized entrees but were not.
- A fun lounge for grown-ups!TeachVIPDined on 4/15/2014I loved this location when it was Icarus, never imagining what a great lounge space it would make. While atmosphere is important in a lounge, for me the food and drinks are at least as important, and this place delivers. We had a delicious kale salad, and then, trying to appear as if we were not having a drink-centric evening, we followed it with the bolognese, made with kale pasta. Never heard of kale pasta (what will they do with kale next?) but it was very tasty and I'd definitely order it again. For drinks we had the Ivana and the Joan Collins, which we both liked. Next time I'm ordering a drink in a tiki glass, though I might have to share! The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. We live in the area, so we'll be back!Special Features:
- Was Impressed!NewtoBostonFoodSceneDined on 4/13/2014Service was good, our waiter was extremely friendly but didn't hover. Food was good, had some interesting and appealing options, the location and ambience were really what took the cake. Will def be returning hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely misses the marksouthendlocalVIPDined on 4/13/2014This place epitomizes style over substance. No one associated with this place appears to have made an effort to integrate the food concept with the bar/wine program. The focus is on the cocktails, it would seem, except that they were mediocre. The food is just OK and far overpriced (if one is actually paying attention to quality) for a neighborhood like the South End with more sophisticated ideas and successful execution steps away. I predict this place will go the way of its previous iteration, Noche, but hopefully its demise will be even more swift. Frankly, the whole experience was insulting.
- Very funky SpeakeasyJaredDined on 4/11/2014Once your eyes adjust to the dark the place is very ultra cool. Food was absolutely excellent. Some of the best black squid ink pasta we have ever had. The oysters were unbelievable. Everything is tapas style size and you can try a ton of things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWFULTylerVIPDined on 4/5/2014I go out all the time in Boston...and i love most restaurants, or at least can find something I like. THIS PLACE IS AWFUL. Overpriced. pretentious, small menu, and just all around odd. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. Go to MASA or Merrill & Co. next door. MUCH BETTER!
- Amazing !K116VIPDined on 4/4/2014Creative craft cocktails and unique spirits all served in vintage glassware . The food is outstanding ! Very creative- the yakitori was out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.