WineO Restaurant & Bar
447 Poplar Street
Philadelphia, PA 19123Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
WineO Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wineophilly.com/
- Phone: 2159250999
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Giovanni Nolano / Jesus Ruiz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: WineO 2159250999
- Entertainment: We offer 3 Flat screen TVs for your viewing pleasure of local sports, jukebox, mega touch, & outdoor seating.
A word from WineO Restaurant & Bar
The Restaurant was established by Giovanni Nolano and his father Pasquale Nolano in 2007. Today it has evolved and grown into an upmarket wine bar perfectly nestled in the artistic Northern Liberties neighborhood and has become a local hot spot for hipsters and young professionals alike. WineO is the perfect place to celebrate an event or a romantic dinner. We have been mentioned in the City Paper, North Star, Home News, Meal ticket, Feeding Frenzy, Around Philly.com and Yelp.com as one of the City's most fun, inexpensive, hip places to eat, drink and hang out. Enjoy the comfortable and cozy atmosphere, added by the dimmed red antique lighting and rustic wine cellar ambiance. Share the good times and come dine with us for fun, food, over 50 different wines, over 30 differnent bottled beer & full bar. Gift certificates are available and make great gifts for friends and family! We look forward to sharing our passion for good food and service with you, and welcome you as our guest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
WineO Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- GOOD MIDDLING RESTAURANT.BrigidfionnDined on 4/10/2013GOOD MIDDLING RESTAURANT. UNDERSTAND THAT IT WILL SOON CLOSE WITH END OF LEASE. NO OTHER PATRONS BUT MY PARTY OF SIX.
- On a Saturday night at 8pm,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/23/2013On a Saturday night at 8pm, we were one of 3 occupied tables. Our server was very polite and nice, but our experience beyond that was poor. Our order took 45 minutes to arrive. I had asked for a salad and entree (Gnocchi). While waiting in that 45 minutes, she never stopped by to ask if we wanted a refill on drinks or let us know the reason for the delay. When the food did finally come out, she brought my salad and entree together rather than initially bringing the salad while the entree was still being prepared. The quality of the food was ok, but nothing that I would rate as outstanding. The restaurant itself was very cold..almost as if they chose to keep the heat turned off.
- Had Valentine's night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Had Valentine's night dinner there with my significant other... what a great spot! Food was delicious, and atmosphere was perfect. I recommend going there on Thursdays, when they have a "date night" dinner special.Special Features:
- "Date Night" is every Thursday!LuigiVIPDined on 1/10/2013We had a fabulous and very special "Date Night" dinner which WineO has every Thursday night! It was wonderful! Great food and lots of it...3 abundant courses with a bottle of wine for $50! It's an incredible value!!! Thank you WineO!Special Features:
- the food was great. cateredmainlinefoodie616Dined on 9/29/2012the food was great. catered to my son's food allergies. The server was amazing. very friendly and attentive! owner/chef came out to see how our meal was. very nice!Special Features:
- Nice easy to go, very informalBennDined on 6/23/2012Nice easy to go, very informal "osteria" with big bar. Food is good and abundant, service very nice.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance, not so great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2012I chose to eat at Wine O because the menu catered to my diet. I ordered the grilled veggie platter with home made hummus. First of all the veggies were not seasoned and the hummus had a pool of olive oil surrounding. I then ordered the salmon for dinner and it too wasn't seasoned and was swimming in a garlic butter caper sauce. It was served on grilled veggies, but they were soggy from the sauce, I don't recall the menu stating it came in sauce like that. My husband ordered the strip steak which came with a mushroom onion sauce, again the steak wasn't seasoned, quite bland and the sauce tasted liked burned gravy.The service was good, the ambiance great, but they really need to work on flavor enhancement. I thought it odd, that it was empty.
- Don't understand why it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/24/2012Don't understand why it was not more crowded. Prices are good food was great. Had a great time. Would recommend WineO.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2012Great find! Everything from the food to the waitstaff was outstanding! Would highly recommend the Thursday Date Night Special. A must try for outside city dinning.Special Features:
- We made a reservation to goOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/16/2012We made a reservation to go to this place on a Friday night. I thought, like most places in the city, that making a last minute reservation would be tough to do. To my surprise, they were very accommodating. When we walked into the restaurant at 8:05 for my 8:00 reservation on a FRIDAY night, we were the only people there! Literally, no one else in the entire restaurant! So now you are thinking, well since the waitress only had one table, service must have been great....no! She was still very unattentive, knew very little about the wines, and was so soft spoken I could hardly hear her. The food was sub-par, not terrible but not a reason to go back. Overall, don't waste your money. There are much better places to go to in No Libs!
- The food was good, the waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/3/2012The food was good, the waitress was very nice and helpful. The atmosphere was quiet as there was only one other table taken at 7 pm on a Saturday evening. Seems this is a later night place and more of a bar.
- I whent there to each a performanceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2012I whent there to each a performance and I was pleasantly surprised. The muscles in white sauce were incredible, and I am a read sauce fan.Special Features:
- Good food, great idea - wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/25/2012Good food, great idea - was hoping for a much better experience. Service was beyond terrible, and I am not a picky person. 20 minutes to get the first glass of wine, appetizer was never received, and 4 meals were brought at different times. Trying to get a second glass of wine was almost impossible, and didn't occur until after my dinner was finished. Check was wrong, and difficult to get corrected. No apologies, or seeming concerned about any of the above. Unfortunate, because it was the kind of place I really wanted to like.
- Horrible. Went on vday. WaitedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2012Horrible. Went on vday. Waited an hour for are food to arrive when there was barely anyone there. They later stated that there was only one chef in the back bc the other one quit 2 days prior. After an hour they finally brought the food. My plate was good howerver my boyfriends steak was flavorless and over cooked. They never came back to ask us for refills or ask us how are food was. They came back with the check after my boyfriend asked for it. They didn't ever offer to comp anything. Needless to say not impressed... I wouldn't recommened it... And I won't be returning.
- Went with three people. BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2012Went with three people. Burger and sweet potato fries were very good. Pasta with Quattro Formaggio was a big portion that came with a few pieces of bread. good to very good. Would have been better in a smaller portion with some protein like shrimp or chicken added. Would have liked some bread for the table. The salmon was very good but the grilled vegetables were inconsistent. Some were very good and garlicy but others had way too much vinegar added.Nice wine selection by the glass and bottle. Will go back again for drinks and burgers.Special Features:
- Great find! Simple but interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2012Great find! Simple but interesting menu. Little neck clams w/ chorizo & peppers was amazing. Offers a nice selection of wines and menu is simple but interesting. Friendly staff, relaxing spot. Will make this place a regular.Special Features:
- The food was incredibly good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/21/2012The food was incredibly good. The only problem was the service. While the server was as nice as could be, it took 30 minutes to get a beverage & 50 minutes to get the first appetizer. When this factual information was posted on the restaurants Facebook Wall, it was deleted post haste. I find that to be in poor taste.Special Features:
- Will be interested in returningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2011Will be interested in returning for Date Night Thursday!Special Features:
- Food was too oily, it's morelive2enjoyVIPDined on 11/5/2011Food was too oily, it's more like a late night typ bar. The waitress was outstandingly attentive, friendly and a pleasure.Special Features:
- Food was fun, especially grilledOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/3/2011Food was fun, especially grilled vegetables and mussels. Used an excellent olive oil but maybe a little exuberant.Special Features:
- The food was really good good,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2011The food was really good good, but pricey. And the cocktails were super expansive. i wouldnt go back.Special Features:
- Everything was delicious.juldasDined on 10/6/2011Everything was delicious. Large serving sizes and have a great "date night" special on Thursday nights. I will definitely go back.
- We had a great time! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2011We had a great time! The food was good, the wine was great, and they really went out of their way to make me feel special on my birthday.Special Features:
- Mark the Date Night WIneO'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/22/2011Date Nights are great, we have done this a few thursdays in a row now and great value for hte money. THe Calamari is to DIE for, seriously! Great Food good times WineO provides every Time.Special Features:
- Funky little neighborhoodjjjjjDined on 8/31/2011Funky little neighborhood bar with surprisingly good food! Outstanding mussels, best I've had; gnocchi were light and the "gravy" was excellent. Better than average wine selection for a little place. Friendly, attentive service. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Happy Surprised.c1cindy1Dined on 8/12/2011Went here and was plesantly surprised. Had mussels, antipasto, sweet potatoe fries, and the stuffed portabella mushroom in marinara....ALL were VERY GOOD, we also had the Very Berry Martini which was very good. All in all I would say we would go back, it was very good.Special Features:
- Date Night at Wine0OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/11/2011thursday nights are date nights and we enjoyed a scrumptious appetizers, a delicious dinner, and a much deserved Hot Brownie Sundae. MMM. we'll see ya next week for our Date Night! Happy ending we all had.Special Features:
- WineO serves what I wouldMercerChowVIPDined on 8/5/2011WineO serves what I would call "bar food" - executed more creatively than your typical bar, but bar food nonetheless. To describe it as "Mediterranean," as the OpenTable site does, is a bit of a stretch. It's a friendly pub atmosphere, but for our group the service was lacking. Entrees did not come out in unison but were delivered over about a ten-minute period. Won't be back.
- Went there early so it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/4/2011Went there early so it was on the quiet side. This is the kind of place where you can't judge a book by it's cover. It looks like a hole in the wall bar but the food was fresh & delicious. All the meats, cheeses & seafood tasted fresher than any over priced restaurant in the city. A fantastic find!!!Special Features:
- Let's start with the positives.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/8/2011Let's start with the positives. Or should I say positive (singular). The jukebox selection was quite extensive and, in fact, almost disorienting. Lamentably (is that even a word? If not, it should be), it was dominated by a gentleman choosing exclusively R&B music. But enough that and the fact that he rebuffed my suggestions. This restaurant is good for people who like to overpay fof sjbpar ambience, as well as food, but like a faux-hipster vibe. It is close to North Bowl, so that's a feather in its cap, and kissy is an enthusiastic server at times. DO NOT ask to use your cert oon date night, or you will greatly offend her. They've gotta make money somehow, and it's probably not from repeat customers. Anyway, I think that's all for
- I would go back for drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/28/2011I would go back for drinks only, OK, MAYBE apps, but definitely not dinner. The seafood especially was not good. Seafood tasted frozen, sauces lacked any fresh flavor- just seems like the restaurant probably doesn't turn over a lot of inventory so probably pre-cooks and freezes a lot of things. Good bar and wine selection, but cheap glasses to serve it in, so kind of takes away from it.
- Not motivated to go back...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/26/2011My brother and I arrived around 7:00pm on a muggy Spring day, just before heading to a concert. It was pretty hot and muggy at the bar and no one acknowledged we walked into the restaurant. Not sure if the ac unit was broken or the staff had other reasons for not turning it on. After we accosted a waitress for service, she was nice enough, but somewhat inattentive. Basically she let us know she was busy and that we were going to have to trip her if we wanted anything. WHACK. The food, I think it had potential to be adequate. I had a grilled shrimp mango salad. Shrimp good, mango salsa tasty, mixed greens yellow, wilted and saturated with dressing; a sign to me that consistent quality is not a priority. I'm not motivated to return.
- The food was overall good.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/14/2011The food was overall good. I wouldn't say anything stood out. The menu is a little confusing, it's half italian (pasta dishes, etc) and the other half is bar fare (burgers, cheese fries). It needs to figure out if it is a wine bar (fancy) or just a bar(casual).Special Features:
- My wife and I loved the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/14/2011My wife and I loved the food and the service was outstanding!!!!Special Features:
- I purchased a Groupon forOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/11/2011I purchased a Groupon for this place thinking that I'd get to Philli on a work trip, but when that didn't happen, I made a special trip from Chicago just to go here! It was worth it & I'll definitely go back the next time I'm in town!Special Features:
- We went there to try it outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2011We went there to try it out since Groupon had a deal for the place. The food was mediocre, and price was high for the quality we received. The wine was also mediocre. If the place is called Wino, it should have some expertise in wine, but it was just a regular restaurant and bar. Disappointing, and with so many restaurants in the area, we won't go back.
- Blink and you'll miss it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/5/2011Kelly, our waitress/bartender became friendlier as we wanted to wait and take our time. Sometimes places are a little miffed that you bring them a group on certificate, but she seemed okay. We always make up for the tip amount and give extra, especially is the service is good, and it was. Took some of the food home and was even great re-heated.Special Features:
- No whining at the Wine0OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/30/2011Good Spot. Sure to satisfy even the most offish individual. Perfect location and yes there is street parking around there. Thanks Fabian.Special Features:
- Did not know what to expectkandcVIPDined on 4/28/2011Was OK - server not very knowledgable or helpful of menu items. We ordered a mussel app, was a very large portion and also ordered the seafood risotto, also a very large portion of mussels. Would have been great if server indicated we were ordering so many! We could have made a different app selecion! We had a good time and their sandwiches looked good. But it seems hit or miss on main courses. Would try again if I lived closer. Good hang out place.Special Features:
- The spot is very cute, nestledOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2011The spot is very cute, nestled back a bit in a neighborhood, and has a bit of an artsy feel to it. That, however, was the best thing about it. We had a reservation, which was unnecessary as we were the only people in the bar. And that's the thing, it's definitely more of a bar than a nice restaurant. The music was nice, but a bit too loud; my husband and I had to raise our voices to hear each other. My husband got the lamb "lollipops", which were good, though a bit overpriced. I had the bouillabase, which was not amazing. The flavors didn't marry properly, the pasta was overcoked, and the sauce was bland. It was OK, and not terribly expensive. But for the money, you can get much more than "OK" somewhere else.