Wine Spectator Greystone Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
2555 Main St.
St. Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Wine Spectator Greystone Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ciarestaurants.com/california-campus-restaurants/the-wine-spectator-at-greystone/
- Phone: 7079671010x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday through Saturday:
Lunch - 11:30 am to 2:00 pm
Dinner 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Sunday and Monday CLOSED
Closed March 1 and 8, 2014
April 8, 18, and 19, 2014
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Become Fan of our Facebook Page and be a part of our culinary friends and family. Like us today........
You can also follow us on Twitter @WineSpectatorGS
A word from Wine Spectator Greystone Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America
Local seasonal ingredients are the inspiration for the restaurants Modern American Regional cuisine. Hand-crafted tables surround the kitchen offering views of the students and professional chefs. Enjoy the unparalleled panoramas of the Napa Valley Vineyards from the Terrace.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Wine Spectator Greystone Restaurant at The Culinary Institute of America reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)special occasion (73)notable wine list (52)scenic view (52)good for groups (42)great for lunch (41)romantic (39)great for outdoor dining (37)neighborhood gem (18)great for brunch (12)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- A great experienceLynnDined on 10/21/2014Enjoyed food, service, wine. Only negative .......a bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One time experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014The Wine Spectator Restaurant at Greystone is more about the wine. The server students will tell you they chose to study there for the wine experience and we had an amazing but expensive bottle of wine. The food we ordered was not as amazing but good and the trip there was worth a visit The interior is beautiful, service great and some very nice ones to select for a price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Served by studentsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014We truly enjoyed the student chefs and servers. The food was delicious and the school is worth a tour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- definitely worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014I would recommend that anyone who loves good food and unique dining experiences come to the Wine Spectator. Don"t miss out on dessert!!!!! Very interesting to watch the students learning all aspects of becoming great chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CIA GreystoneCaDelSoleDined on 10/17/2014This is a great restaurant but since it is a teaching institute sometimes the menu is better than other times.Special Features:
- A must stop in Napa ValleytharrybDined on 10/16/2014Always an interesting adventure to eat at GreystoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected more . . .StephenVIPDined on 10/15/2014Recently, my wife and I had dinner here. I had visited this location previously and the food had been very, very good at the time. That is why I took my wife there on this visit. Unfortunately, it was a disappointing dinner. The dining room was very nice. The appetizers were very good, but the entrees were so-so at best. Nevertheless, the staff removed the entree costs from the final bill (eventhough we did not verbally complain) sua sponte. The fact that our reservation was at the end of the evening may have been one of the causes of the problems. As an aside, I would strongly suggest that you do not sit near one of the larger tables as they tend to be very noisy, bothersome, and boisterous.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service by studentsTulsaCharlesVIPDined on 10/15/2014Creative menu, beautifully served and prepared by students at the Culinary Institute of America. We've eaten here several times before when visiting Napa Valley and will always return.Special Features:
- Food3ofusDined on 10/11/2014My wife at the fish and it was very bland to taste. There was no seasoning on the fish.Special Features:
- My fav restaurantcattDined on 10/11/2014It's always such a delight to come here. The food is the best. The students are awesome and professional. But it was disappointing that the outdoor patio wasn't open for dinner. It was 82 degrees at 5:30 (Oct 11th )and was just perfect for being outside and enjoying the view. That was a big mistake to keep it closed. Staff said it would be too cold to sit outside. Maybe compared to the Sahara desert but seriously?? Otherwise it was a good night.Special Features:
- CIA Delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014The food and service were excellent at the Greystone Restaurant at the Culinary Institute of America in St. Helena, CA. The students really do a nice job at providing fine service and the food was well prepared. The menu offered a nice variety of appetizer/entree options and the wine selection was quite good, although a bit pricey. Would recommend this to anyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineVIPDined on 10/9/2014We had eaten at the CIA in Hyde Park, NY but never at the Wine Country location. Glad we made the reservation. The location is magnificent and the food and service outstanding. If we're ever in San Antonio we must try their third location.Special Features:
- ZmanZmanDined on 10/9/2014I'll have to say, having dined at the CIA in Hyde Park, NY and then have the opportunity to try the west coast equivalent, it's a totally different vibe out west. A little more laid back and less pretentious. My wife and I had driven over from Sonoma, after a day of sightseeing and vineyard tours and we were ready to dine. While we did get there a bit early for our reservation, we sat back, enjoyed some wine and people watched. To our surprise, we were told that a table was ready and we were seated on the patio, where we were able to watch the sun set and then see the moon rise. The food was great and the service was excellent!Special Features:
- remarkablebrunom4Dined on 10/9/2014Great view for the valley, excellent food and friendly staff. Asked for the outside tables at 17:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- to much garlicArlibarliVIPDined on 10/8/2014Our food had to much salt and garlic. I expected better tasting food. The manager should come to the table to see how we are doing and if everything is as expected.
- Great on Many LevelsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Historic site, great scenic views and a young and energetic kitchen and wait staff. What's not to like? I had the chicken. The skin was golden brown, lightly seasoned, neither greasy nor dry. Add a glass of wine and a shared desert and it was a very satisfying meal. These soon to be graduates are definitely ready for prime time.Special Features:
- A magical end to a perfect day.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Our first visit to Greystone exceeded our expectations. The ambiance was warm and inviting. Our cocktails were made perfectly to our expectations. The sweet corn soup with the crab salad was sweet and luscious. The table loved the salads with the fresh greens, charred corn kernels in a dressing, creamy with the perfect bite. The presentations of the entrees wowed us. The beef was perfectly cooked medium rare and presented in a gorgeous tower of grilled vegetables and a crispy risotto cake. The salmon and sole were luscious and the Corona beans were a hit. The spinach and ricotta raviolis were delicate and perfect bites of goodness. The pastry chefs executed brown butter pecan cake, apple tartine and meyer lemon pannacotta fabulously. DivineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really special experienceasianfoodieDined on 10/7/2014after making the school tour, guided by the student of this campus, it's made the dining experience even better! the restaurant is ran by student as well, but senior students, who knows what they are doing, unlike some of the other restaurants making weird combos with ingredients. . Me and my bf are used to the European restaurants. So this was the best place we found during our trip is Cali. Or maybe we were just not lucky. the potions are just right for us, not too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary LearnersTheBigHausDined on 10/4/2014Although we had a great view of the kitchen, we were seated with the bathrooms behinds us. Plus one of the chefs had bad BO that hit my nose and overpowered my wine. Good for us he wasn't there long. Now, about food & service. We arrived but they were not ready at 5:30 to seat. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't care for our seating, but the wait staff was attentive and personable. Our first course, mussels and meatballs. The mussels outstanding and the meatball missed the mark. It lacked spice & texture. Second course, loin of beef on a bed of risotto and kale. The beef was cook to our specification, but the risotto looked like a hash brown, lacked salt and the kale was way to salty. Keep learning students, you still have a ways to go.Special Features:
- Unique experience!themrsimonDined on 10/3/2014If you can turn off your need for completely perfect service and embrace the opportunity to support students in learning to serve at a fine dining restaurant, this is a truly enjoyable experience. The food was excellent. Highlights included the garden salad with popped quinoa and the garlic sauteed spinach, though everything was lovely. The location, in a gorgeous old stone winery, was romantic. The wait staff were charmingly imperfect (they are students!) but eager to please. The faculty guiding them were poised and competent, leading to a unique learning atmosphere. Truly enjoyed our visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had an awesome experiencetrioDined on 10/1/2014I would recommend this restaturant highly. The staff is very attentive and the food was excellently prepared. Since it is a teaching restaurant you get food that shows a lot of pride. You are not allowed to tip but they add a flat 17% which i s used for scholarships. I think this is such a a great idea.Special Features:
- Disappointed this visitGinnySVIPDined on 9/30/2014We have gone to Greystone many times and absolutely loved it. This trip we found changes that disappointed us. The menu has less choices; the service was not friendly; we felt very rushed even though it was not a busy time. Waitpersons standing around in groups talking personal business. My soup was delicious after it was returned for not being warm. Entrees were excellent but nothing special on the dessert menu. It was definitely not the experience we were accustomed to and we hope that this is not what we may expect in the future.
- Don't waste your time here!OpenMindedVIPDined on 9/27/2014The worst dining experience we have ever had! Don't waste your time at this place. EVERYTHING about this was terrible. I had read other reviews and should have believed them. Don't go, you will be disappointed. There are so many other choices in the area.
- Excellent Food, Good wineFWoiondeDined on 9/26/2014This was our second visit to Greystone @ CIA, Napa, CA. We dined on an evening when previous CIA graduates (that now work at B Cellars) prepared the meals. The menu they prepared was inspired and the food was sensational! It was every bit as good as our previous dinning experience with the student chefs preparing the meals. It was more fun watching the student chefs but other than that, it was a great evening. I would highly recommend Greystone to anyone that visits Napa. It embodies the wine country feeling and attitude though it's one of the noisiest restaurants that I've ever dined in but it is worth the visit as you get wrapped up in your party and your meal and the noise isn't as prevalent. And remember, it was built in the 1800's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well......DebbyDownerDined on 9/26/2014Our server was not very attentive. Fortunately there was a fellow who was responsible for filling our water who took over for her. The food was not as wonderful as past experiences there. It was fine, but not fantastic as it has been in the past.Special Features:
- No students - poor servicewiskellyDined on 9/25/2014We choose to go on Sept 25, 2014 because 2 former students were supposed be preparing a special meal. Instead, there was a winery that hosted the night with their own chefs and they used a wait staff that was trained to serve banquet style, not take individual orders. The staff was friendly, but the service was slow because they were not trained well. One server said they were trying something new to keep the restaurant open while the students were not there. It was quite expensive for only an ok meal. Very disappointing.
- DiappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Went to this restaurant because my daughter is a CIA graduate from the Hyde Park NY school. Those restaurants were wonderful. To keep this short, our server was inattentive and unfamiliar with the meals or the wines that were paired with it. My husband had to send back his steak because it was cold. I could go on but won't. All this for 174 dollars. They add the gratuity to the bill so in reality service doesn't matter. My advise skip this experience in CA and visit the NY schoolSpecial Features:
- GO ELSEWHERE TO EATlscameraDined on 9/25/2014Extremely disappointed. After hearing and reading about the CIA we were very excited to be going to the Greystone for dinner Thursday, September 25, 2014. For a restaurant with the notoriety that it has, the service was pathetic. We waited and waited, waitress after waitress just kept on walking by. Finally a waitress shows up to take our drink order. Not even water delivered. When we asked her about the menu she couldn't even tell us what the food was. When she walked away my husband and I said to each other...she doesn't even know what's on the menu or how it is prepared. For the price of a bottle of wine....no one even bothered to pour our glasses. My chicken was dry and the vegi's were so smoke flavored they were not edible.
- A St. Helena Must-Eat Restaurant!mustang6560Dined on 9/13/2014A friend spent two years at the CIA developing her craft, so we were anxious to give it a try ... and it was well worth it! We had the prix fixe menu along with the wine pairing and it was delicious -- a grilled octopus app, a rare ribeye entree and chocolate truffle cake dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CIA NapaRichDined on 9/12/2014It was an outstanding evening, we had a guest chef which was an alumni from the CIA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll never go back!WorldDined on 9/11/2014We had to wait 25 minutes past our reservation time. The excuse for the wait was that people were lingering too long. This was not true because we were finally seated at a table that had not been occupied during this time period. After finally being seated, we waited another 20 minutes for someone to at least take our drink order. No one ever approached our table to ask if we wanted anything. Our efforts to gain a server's attention were fruitless! We left our table and asked for the manager to explain the problem to her. She profusely apologized, but the damage was done. We have dined here for the last 12 years. The quality of our last meal was lacking, but we wanted to give it another chance. We will not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Very disappointed in the place. The food was ok. When we had our dessert which was peach tart tatin and when I bit down into it I had the pit still in there. I saw stars and almost cracked my tooth. I showed it to the waiter and he apologized. No one else ever came over to see how I was.Special Features:
- Excellent SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014Everything very very good. Great Menu in Variety. Waiters perfect in give us additional informatoin about the plates and wine. The taste of all plates simply wonderful. Excellent cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!!MikeDined on 9/3/2014My wife and I celebrated our second anniversary with dinner here, and we were absolutely blown away! Every aspect of the experience was phenomenal, starting with the rosemary focaccia bread, through appetizers, main course, and dessert. The chicken I had for my main course was the juiciest, most delicious chicken breast I have ever had, seriously. This was our first trip to Napa and we're not sure when we'll be back, but we hope to return and when we do, you can bet we'll come back to Greystone!Special Features:
- califoryanDined on 9/2/2014This was a highlight in our trip to California. The food lived up to expectations, the lamb and the beef were delicious, as was the wine. Particularly liked the wine taster that helped made up our mind. The service was also excellent and their suggestions of dessert wine really hit the spot. Our only regret is not have been there before night time to admire the view.Special Features:
- a guide eats at CIAguide4wineDined on 9/2/2014I recommended lunch at the CIA to my guests that were visiting from London. They wanted a unique experience. I am a wine tour guide. When I dropped them off, to my surprise they insisted I join them, and CIA accommodated the change in reservation graciously. Our waiter was witty and informative. Our food was good but not great, but we had a lot of fun watching them prepare and the hustle and bustle. I have eaten here before and had excellent food. And they are learning! I had a chicken with peaches and the peaches were very underdone, and the farro underdone. But I'm quibbling. We had a lovely time and I would absolutely come again. The valet parking was especially helpful as one of my guests had mobility issues. great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014We went there for dinner and had a great time. Everything looks good the staff went out of their way to please us. The only item I would say needs improvement would be the cost. It seems a bit much to charge when you don't have actual chefs cooking your food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointed.LouBVIPDined on 8/29/2014Sad, I've always looked forwarded to my trips to Napa with a stop at CIA, this was the most disappointing dinner I had this visit. Disappointed not got the the food or service, but the venue. It was increadbly HOT in the dinning room I nor my wife could finish our meals ( and they were delicious)...the sweat being perfused by the guest in the room could have offset the California water shortage. Cool down the dinning room!
- Must try at least once, often is OKBistroHomeCookDined on 8/29/2014If you are a foodie or LOVE to be a home cook, you must enjoy the great food , enthusiastic chiefs, waiters, and staff (students soon to graduate) that operate the restaurant at CIA , in St. Helena , CA. They pour their hearts and souls into providing you with the " best they can". We took cousins there for lunch on a beautiful Napa afternoon. Outstanding in every way. Recommendation , " have a great time".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat setting & Good FoodTimmerDined on 8/28/2014Set in an old winery, this location has a lot of history and very neat ambiance. The menu was limited, but excellent food. I wish we would have sat out on the deck though, as it was VERY warm inside. Wouldn't need to stop by every time I was in Napa, but I would most certainly make this a stop if you've never been there before. Staff are students, and did a great job. Fun to chat with and overall a very good experience.Special Features: