Wine Cellar Restaurant
50 University Ave.
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Wine Cellar Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.winecellarlosgatos.com/
- Phone: 4083544808
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 2:00pm (Winter Hours - During Summer we open at 10:30am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wayne Hashman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Wine Cellar takes catering requests on a case-by-case basis. Call or email Lisa for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Wine Cellar Restaurant has been helping guests celebrate special occasions for over 40 yrs! Our intimate ambiance will be sure to please and we will work closely with you to establish the perfect seating arrangement, menu, wine selection...and even that little something extra. Contact us today!
- Private Party Contact: Lisa 4083544808
- Entertainment: Wine Cellar periodically offers Entertainment. Please visit our Website and view our Bulletin Board to find out what we are currently offering.
- Special Events: Wine Cellar periodically has Special Events ranging from Live Entertainment, to Wine Tastings, Winemaker Dinners, Happy Hour Specials etc. You may visit our website at any time and view our Bulletin Board to see what we are currently offering.
- Cross Street: Mullen Avenue
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Wine Cellar is located in Old Town Center which has a private parking lot on both sides of University Avenue - the one across the street has an entrance under Sur la Table. There are also public lots located between University and N. Santa Cruz Avenues.
A word from Wine Cellar Restaurant
Tucked in a corner of historic Old Town Center, the Wine Cellar Restaurant has been a Los Gatos favorite since 1966. Dine al fresco on the Wine Cellar's award-winning patio and enjoy breathtaking views of the Santa Cruz Mountains or venture downstairs for a more intimate experience with warm, golden washed walls and candle-lit booths. Choose from our Famous Swiss and Gruyere Fondue, Fresh Seafood including Abalone, Hearty Pastas, All Natural, Free Range Lamb, All Natural Chicken and Pork. Wine Cellar also features flavorful and tender PAINTED HILLS All Natural Beef raised with No Added Antibiotics or Hormones and a 100% Vegetarian Diet. Don't forget to save room for Chocolate Fondue or one of our other Homemade Desserts! Extensive Wine List and Special Wine Events. Voted "Best Outdoor Dining", "Most Romantic Restaurant" and "Best Steak"! PLEASE NOTE: We are unable to book parties over 5 people online. Please call the restaurant for availability.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Wine Cellar Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
Wine Cellar Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (125)great for lunch (74)neighborhood gem (72)special occasion (69)romantic (56)fit for foodies (55)notable wine list (42)great for brunch (38)good for groups (31)scenic view (25)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (8)late-night find (4)Show More
- Wonderful ExperienceFoodLoverDined on 9/5/2014We've been to the Wine Cellar many times. It's a oerfect place for taking out of town guests or just for a nice, cozy date night. The food is excellent, and the service is superb. It's a little loud when full, but still possible to have a convo, albeit difficult. This last time it all really came together. Our server, Tim, was perfectly attentive but also understanding as we caught up with friends from high school. That's about 35 years of catching up! The food was executed perfectly, and my fettucini paella style was wonderfully layered, with tender scallops, clams, and prawns, caught just at the right moment of deliciousness. In all honesty, we've had the menu before. The execution was the delightful difference this time.Special Features:
- Great first time!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014We had a nice outdoor table and it was quiet enough to hear one another and yet lively enough with a full patio to be enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014perfect as always. We love the Wine Cellar. We sat outside with friends. Perfect summer evening. Food was great as was the service.Special Features:
- A Perfect EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Treated a friend of mine to dinner here to celebrate her birthday and we had a wonderful time, as usual! The food was delicious and the service was wonderful and we were able to sit on the patio and enjoy the perfect weather. She said the Fisherman's Stew is her new favorite dish and I had the salmon, perfectly prepared, which was excellent. We can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Excellent experienceluvtheoutdoorsDined on 8/28/2014I had been once before with my daughter and had a great time, so when my friend's birthday came along, I had no doubts that this would be the place to treat her to lunch. The outdoor patio is great, looks almost magical with the sun sipping through the umbrellas and the flowers surrounding the already beautiful area. I can't wait to go with my husband for a date night!Special Features:
- Always enjoyable...ZGirlVIPDined on 8/19/2014Always an enjoyable experience. Great patio, superb waiter. This visit my entree lunch salad of arugula & chicken was not to my satisfaction. Anticipated it to be different that what was presented. No worries, will definitely be back to enjoy many of the dishes I like. My guests all thoroughly enjoyed their lunches.Special Features:
- Group diningGlennDined on 8/18/20143 couples enjoyed the variety of food offered and were able to talk to each other with a relatively quiet background. Overall, service and food was good.Special Features:
- Great Food!fonduemeDined on 8/18/2014The fondue was delectable and could be a meal on its own. The fish and chips were light and tasty. It was my first time there and there were many items on the menu that I plan to try at another time. I will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect birthday celebrationWatergirlDined on 8/13/2014I treated my friend to her birthday dinner here and we had a fab time! The waiter Garfleid was so attentive we never waited for anything! The food was delicious and the price was very reasonable! I put down in the remarks that I was taking a friend there for her birthday and they brought out the most delicious Hot Fudge Sunday! So thoughtful and delicious! A great time was had by all! Thank you and cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Delicious food and wine!MimiDawnDined on 8/13/2014We've been to the Wine Cellar now 3 times. Once for lunch and twice for dinner. The food & wine list are great! We're new to the area and it's become one of our favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenceHappyDinerDined on 8/12/2014The Wine Cellar in lovely Los Gatos continues to offer the best meal in town for a fair price. And the acoustics (downstairs) are simply the best. You are seated next to people but you never hear them as the sound is dampened due to the great design. Thus - the best for a romantic meal. I almost always take my lovely wife here for our anniversary! And of course the food and service is fantasticSpecial Features:
- A Comfortable Place to DineCollie2Dined on 8/12/2014We always enjoy dining at the Wine Cellar. Tuesdays there is no corking fee which is a plus. I have never had a bad meal there. I had lamb chops which were cooked the way I requested. They had an interesting sauce. My wife almost always gets the chicken piccata. The servers are friendly, but not pushy. the only thing that I don't like is that dogs are not allowed in their outdoor dining area while the restaurant next door does as does another one across the street.Special Features:
- SuzanneDined on 8/10/2014This is always a great experience! I would come here just for the salad, crab cakes and fondue, but everything else is always delicious. The service was wonderful... I bring out-of-town guests here often, and am never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebgVIPDined on 8/10/2014We sat outside and had a wonderful lunch. Food was delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014Been there several times and enjoyed the food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ahhhhh, so nice!losgatoskittyDined on 8/5/2014Took some business associates to dinner here. We ate outside, but inside is also wonderful. I had lamb chops prepared perfectly. The other had salmon, and chicken marsala. Everyone loved the entire experience. I will always consider it for a top destination for dining in Los GatosSpecial Features:
- one of the besthanny1012Dined on 8/4/2014when I came to this restaurant, my first instinct from the outside seating was that this whole place was going to be packed. To my surprise, it wasn't packed at all and had a nice feel to it. The waiter was extremely nice and on it. The food took a little while to get there but that's because of how well it is made. Probably the best meal I've ever had. Even regular soda tasted better lol. It's very pricey, like you won't get a plate for less than 30 dollars but it's worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice1215Dined on 8/3/2014we went to celebrate two birthdays. it took a while to get our food but it was worth the wait. it was not crowded at 5pm but by the time the time we left it was filling up. it is a little high priced.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014It was fantastic. My daughters favorite place for dining.Special Features:
- nice2dinenice2dineDined on 8/1/2014I made a reservation for four with Open Table for Friday, August 1st at 6pm and made a note within OT website to the restaurant asking for a table outside. We arrived on time, the hostess told us there were no tables available outside and we would need to wait 15 to 20 minutes. We agreed and while we waited we observed a number of open tables with no people seated. There was one table for four with only one person seated there. We waited for 15, 20, 30, 45 minutes and when it came to an hour we relented to sit inside and have appetizers, later we were seated for our entree outside. I asked the manager and I ask Open Table what is the purpose of making a reservation if the restaurant doesn't honor them....?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top-notch service and wine listreluctantfoodieVIPDined on 8/1/2014We started with stuffed poblano pepper and then moved on to melt in your mouth braised lamb, and perfect chicken piccata. Nothing not to like about this place. Nice wine selection, top notch service and a perfect patio setting for a summer dinner. Will repeat soon.Special Features:
- YummyallieDined on 7/31/2014The abalone appetizer was delicious, but I wish it was larger! The halibut special entree was amazing. It was well paired with potatoes, vegetable and a tasty sauce. The NY steak entree was also very tasty, but the potatoes and beans were a little too salty for us. Both of the entree portions were quite large, so you won't leave hungry. Skip the key lime pie for dessert. It was bitter and burnt tasting.Special Features:
- Decent food...TravelDinerVIPDined on 7/27/2014The food and service here was good, I wouldn't say anything outstanding though. The atmosphere was charming however the air conditioning was challenged and madeit rather unconfortable to eat. All in all I would return here again but maybe when the temperature is cooler.
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed our dinner at the Wine Cellar. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- A Nice Outdoor DinnerJulieDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I got a chance to have a rare 'date night', so I made Open Table reservations at the Wine Cellar. We had not been there for awhile and had forgotten how nice the ambiance and how great the food is. I had the Gruet split of champagne and my husband stuck to red wine for the evening. We enjoyed their wine list as there is a good variety to choose from. We shared the cheddar and ale fondue, but we were disappointed that there was only about a 1/2" of cheese to dip the vast amount of food to accompany the fondue. Needless to say, we had a lot of leftover nibbles with no cheese left. When we told the waiter that the cheese was gone and it was a very small portion, he said something to the effect of "it's always that way."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside seatingFoodieVIPDined on 7/24/2014We started with the abalone appetizer! Great😍 my husband ordered the tuna tartare and I ordered the Lobster Crab Salad with papaya. Awesome !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cdhlDined on 7/22/2014Wonderful outdoor dining! A little heavy on the prices. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Wonderful for al fresco dining!luvalfrescoDined on 7/20/2014Brunch or lunch at he Wine Cellar is definitely one of our favorite dining experiences. The veggie omlelet was the best I've ever had anywhere. The view of the hills and blue sky, coupled with the up close flowers was charming. The service was attentive and the scheduling staff were most helpful. Love this place for al fresco dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, crowded patio seatingms1234Dined on 7/19/2014Food was good...way better than average, but not the absolute best. The patio was nice, but it was facing a mall type area that had a bunch of kids running around. We have two small kids and certainly appreciate that they like to run around, we just happened to get a night off for our anniversary and from the prices and reviews, we thought we were going to someplace a little more 'adult'. It really was a nice place, but it was just a little more casual than we were led to believe.Special Features:
- usfourDined on 7/18/2014As always, a happy experience. The food is excellent, though the portions are larger than I like. We tried for a patio table, but were just as glad we had an indoor lunch. it was quiet and pleasant and the service was very good, with a friendly and efficient waiter. Of course, parking is an issue. The driver in our group dropped three of us off and had to park quite a distance away--we waited probably 10 minutes for him to get to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why haven't we been here?VWJWinLGDined on 7/12/2014We used to date at the Wine Cellar years ago….loved the romantic, dark little place downstairs. Chose Wine Cellar on a whim this time, and we were so happy! Will come mere more often!! Great wine, food, patio, service.Special Features:
- Fun Patio, Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014We always enjoy our time on the patio at the Wine Cellar. Service is always good and food is consistent.Special Features:
- just one thing5thirtyDined on 7/11/2014The food was very good and the dessert was great too. We had drinks that were generous and stuffed poblano pepper which was an appetizer. it was big enough that we decided not to order an entree and just have a dessert and coffee. We went at 6 and were able to sit outside. This place will only sit you outside on a first come/first dibs basis although you can make a reservation but can only sit outside if their is a table available when you get there. Trying to find parking can be a problem so if you go leave enough time to search for parking. The one downside was the sun was directly in my face and when I asked if they could move the umbrellas a little - they wouldn't do it! The sun did move behind the tree after awhile.Special Features:
- Great Taste Every Time!table42Dined on 7/11/2014I've only had lunch every time I get a chance to come by here and, every time it's always prepared well. Service, too, by all was really attentive and timely. My dog always get fresh water whenever I come for lunch. Pets are not allowed in patio area; however, the staff finds a nice table by the edge of patio so my "baby" can be next to me while dining. Food are always dependable. Excellent service every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EleanoreVIPDined on 7/3/2014The Wine Cellar has been one of our favorite restaurants. This visit was no exception. We found the service very good , ambience and food great. We will return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menu and great patio!CampbellgalDined on 7/2/2014This is our family birthday dinner favorite, since all of our celebrations are in the summer. They have one of the best outdoor patios in the southbay. The food is consistently good and service is attentive but not excessive.Special Features:
- tranquil settingDowntownWorkerDined on 7/1/2014We had the Cheddar & Ale Fondue, which was okay but I prefer their traditional Swiss/Gruyere Fondue. The Garlic Calamari were light & tasty, but not as filling an appetizer as the fondue. The patio dining area has a beautiful close view of the Santa Cruz mountains, lovely.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/27/2014Great food, large portions, you definately get the most bang for your buck here. I have been here for both Lunch and Dinner. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charmingDowntownWorkerDined on 6/27/2014Our group enjoyed a pot of fondue on the shady patio, and each had a different tasty salad. I'm not usually a salad person, but the variety of salads here satisfied all of us. I noticed everyone cleaned their plates! The Wine Cellar patio is a good place to escape the stress of the valley and enjoy the little outdoor nook in Old Town. Have dined inside the cozy "cellar" downstairs too, and prefer it for romantic evenings and a warm spot to go in the winter for butternut squash soup or pizza. If you don't arrive early for parking, you may need to walk from one of the larger parking lots down the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio dining was niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2014We really enjoy the patio dining. The service was good and the food good was plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.