Wine Cellar Restaurant
50 University Ave.
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Wine Cellar Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.winecellarlosgatos.com/
- Phone: (408) 354-4808
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 2:00pm (Winter Hours - During Summer we open at 10:30am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wayne Hashman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Wine Cellar takes catering requests on a case-by-case basis. Call or email Lisa for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Wine Cellar Restaurant has been helping guests celebrate special occasions for over 40 yrs! Our intimate ambiance will be sure to please and we will work closely with you to establish the perfect seating arrangement, menu, wine selection...and even that little something extra. Contact us today!
- Private Party Contact: Lisa 4083544808
- Entertainment: Wine Cellar periodically offers Entertainment. Please visit our Website and view our Bulletin Board to find out what we are currently offering.
- Special Events: Wine Cellar periodically has Special Events ranging from Live Entertainment, to Wine Tastings, Winemaker Dinners, Happy Hour Specials etc. You may visit our website at any time and view our Bulletin Board to see what we are currently offering.
- Cross Street: Mullen Avenue
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Wine Cellar is located in Old Town Center which has a private parking lot on both sides of University Avenue - the one across the street has an entrance under Sur la Table. There are also public lots located between University and N. Santa Cruz Avenues.
A word from Wine Cellar Restaurant
Tucked in a corner of historic Old Town Center, the Wine Cellar Restaurant has been a Los Gatos favorite since 1966. Dine al fresco on the Wine Cellar's award-winning patio and enjoy breathtaking views of the Santa Cruz Mountains or venture downstairs for a more intimate experience with warm, golden washed walls and candle-lit booths. Choose from our Famous Swiss and Gruyere Fondue, Fresh Seafood including Abalone, Hearty Pastas, All Natural, Free Range Lamb, All Natural Chicken and Pork. Wine Cellar also features flavorful and tender PAINTED HILLS All Natural Beef raised with No Added Antibiotics or Hormones and a 100% Vegetarian Diet. Don't forget to save room for Chocolate Fondue or one of our other Homemade Desserts! Extensive Wine List and Special Wine Events. Voted "Best Outdoor Dining", "Most Romantic Restaurant" and "Best Steak"! PLEASE NOTE: We are unable to book parties over 5 people online. Please call the restaurant for availability.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Wine Cellar Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
Wine Cellar Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (105)neighborhood gem (74)special occasion (68)fit for foodies (66)great for lunch (60)romantic (49)notable wine list (46)good for groups (34)great for brunch (29)scenic view (20)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- Fine Dinning ExperienceHJamesDined on 11/19/2014I've been visiting the Wine Cellar for years. It's a favorite restaurant and can always be counted on for great food, service, and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd smellNYEaterVIPDined on 11/16/2014The waitstaff was great, and the food was surprisingly decent, but there was an odd smell in the main dining room that hits you as soon as you walk in that is a big turn-off. Maybe a better dining experience if you sit outside.Special Features:
- price jumpitaliaDined on 11/10/2014my only complaint, and we have been here often over the years, is it is ridiculously expensive now. 48 dollars for lambchops, 34 bucks for seafood pasta and 58 for abalone. won't be back. compare that to nicks in los gatosSpecial Features:
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/10/2014We had a pre-wedding dinner here and it was fabulous! Great ambiance, excellent service, large portions, great food and wine. Very happy with our experience & would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced/undervalued.jdhowellsDined on 11/9/2014I had semi-high hopes for this restaurant in Los Gatos's plush neighborhood, and sadly all those expectations were not met. The food was just OK, and the service was awful. Our waiter brought us the wrong plates, and instead of apologizing, he just picked them back up and walked away. It was very odd. He came back 4-5 min. later and apologized and said our food would be right up. When it did arrive, it arrived cold. Overall I'd say keep your expectations low and try to remember your in Los Gatos- a city full of money and zero taste.Special Features:
- Your reservation doesn't applywithgraceDined on 11/8/2014A beautiful day to dine outdoors so I made a reservation for the patio of the Wine Cellar. Unfortunately, after arriving early, I was told my reservation had no meaning on the patio and I would have to go on the waiting list behind all the walk ins. This was a special occasion and after waiting for 45 minutes we finally got a table in the direct sun. The entire event was ruined. I don't understand how one can make a reservation at a restaurant and not even receive the slightest consideration for the reservation.
- Great lunch @ the Wine CellarloveDined on 11/7/2014Enjoying wonderful salads with my friend whose Birthday had just passed! I made a reservation on OpenTable a few hours before - upon arriving, the gals in front were friendly and gave us a great table outside. We really appreciated Adam, our waiter!* Adam was friendly and made it a special lunch experience for us ~ Thank you, Wine Cellar!* Thank you, Adam*Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerDined on 10/27/2014As usual.very good food, very good service and great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Brunch!LjessmDined on 10/26/2014Excellent Brunch! Had the Crab Benedict and my guest had the Apple Sausage Benedict and they were fabulous.Special Features:
- Wine Cellar BrunchSpecialKVIPDined on 10/26/2014Our food was hot and served in a most timely manner. Our server, Adam made the experience all the more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerKimADined on 10/25/2014We had a great time with family and friends and wonderful food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneChoozy4Dined on 10/23/2014Picked this restaurant after viewing the menu which was varied,interesting, and appeared to be high quality. I knew the old Town environment but had not been there in years. We sat on the patio on a beautiful fall day, the service was excellent and our meal with wine delicious, I plan to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EleanoreVIPDined on 10/15/2014We frequent The Wine Cellar often. It is one our favorite restaurants. The ambiance, food and service are always top notch. They seem to know how to do things as a restaurant. We always look forward to this place and we are seldom disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Patio DiningGourmetgal14Dined on 10/12/2014The Wine Cellar is consistently wonderful. Service and food terrific, and dining on the patio on a sunny Autumn day can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServiceSam22VIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a late reservation due to a previous commitment and the wine Cellar was able to accommodate us. The stuffed sole was outsanding.Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/9/2014Good food and ambiance. Expensive. Outdoor dining area is nice too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerhammertimeDined on 10/6/2014My husband went for our 7 year anniversary. The food was unreal we had the calamari appetizer, shared a bowl of the soup of the day which was a white bean and squash, and then each had an entrée. He had the braised short ribs and I had the open face seafood ravioli. It was a ton of food which we brought some home. We really didn't want to stop eating. We had not been in a while and definitely look forward to going back very soon.Special Features:
- Great Old FaithfulhappyeaterDined on 10/4/2014The Wne Cellar has been around for quite a while and continues to be one of my favorite places to eat. Great food! Good service. Friendly staff. The weather was too hot to eat outside the day we were there so we switched to inside ith no problem and we were a party of 7 people!! Outside is very nice on a cooler day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely place to dinefoodieDined on 10/3/2014We had a wonderful server. Tim was great. Fun and knowledgeable. Our food was delicious as was the wine. We were celebrating our friends birthday. It's a lovely place inside and also has a great outdoor seating area. It's first come first serve for the outdoor seating so we chose to eat downstairs rather than wait. I recommend them highly. We will certainly come back again.Special Features:
- Afternoon lunch dateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/30/2014The food and service is always excellent. I especially enjoy the abalone.Special Features:
- Decent spotcpe123VIPDined on 9/27/2014I saw that most of the reviews were for lunch - had dinner outside & it was just ok. The service was very good - the food average & the outside patio - while pleasant enough is still adjacent to a walkway from the parking lot to the shopping center (no views of the hills for us - we faced the shops). Tuna appetizer was fair, riblets were good. Entrees - sea bass, and short ribs (boneless) were ok. Perhaps will try for lunch next time.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Eddie and Jesse are excellent servers. They paid close attention to the needs of my friend who was on oxygen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a special occaision.SanJoseJoeDined on 9/26/2014Great place to go for a special event. The food is high quality, tasty, many healthy choices, fantastic desserts, the bread is fresh warm sourdough! We go there for birthdays, anniversaries, the occaisional date night or special lunch. Not cheap but if you avoid alcohol, an affordable treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Los Gatos ReliableDisappointedDined on 9/25/2014The six of us had a pleasant lunch-mostly salads except for one order of the eggplant roulade that comes with vegetables and spaghetti. Everyone was happy with their choices. My only complaint is that leftovers were packaged up in a styrofoam container in a plastic bag. Really?Special Features:
- Quite different than it used to beLGLocalDined on 9/23/2014I've been going to this place since the last century, when it was a place for fruit and cheese, bottle of wine and live music, all served up in small, intimate booths. Now it's a restaurant, much more open, brighter and quite nice. The service was outstanding and the food very well prepared. Our waiter, Garfield, was friendly, knowledgeable offered helpful info about several dishes we were considering. and We were there on a Tuesday so the place had only a few customers and the noise level allowed for a pleasant conversation. But on busy nights the noise goes up quite a bit and causes more of a diner atmosphere. I'm not sure how one would correct this but it is the only negative about this restaurant as far as I'm concerned.Special Features:
- Nice patioTruckeeloverVIPDined on 9/21/2014The food was good and sitting outside was very nice. The service was slow.Special Features:
- Really good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/2014Loved the food. Service was ok; super ambiance. Great downtown LG location.Special Features:
- Great Patio DiningGolfinflyfisherVIPDined on 9/17/2014We had our dinner on the patio. Great service with a nice atmosphere. The food was equally good. The three of us had salads which were good sized, and entrees were the filet (outstanding), seared ahi and the short rib special. The short ribs were good - although I wouldn't categorize them as outstanding. Presentation of the meals was also great. I would recommend this as a great spot in Los Gatos.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerVinylfeverDined on 9/13/2014We were returning after a great experience last year. It started out a little rocky on the service but the waiter recovered. The food was great as usual. I had sent a note to the restaurant that we were celebrating our anniversary and that was totally missed by either the hostess or server. We were sat near a noisy group of 8 that made it a little less romantic. Otherwise it wasn't a bad experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful LunchlauriepgVIPDined on 9/13/2014We are never disappointed at the Wine Cellar. We have enjoyed countless dinners & brunches at the Wine Cellar, but this was our first Saturday lunch. The food was delicious & the service was perfect. We were with friends & our waiter graciously allowed us to linger as long as we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceFoodLoverDined on 9/5/2014We've been to the Wine Cellar many times. It's a oerfect place for taking out of town guests or just for a nice, cozy date night. The food is excellent, and the service is superb. It's a little loud when full, but still possible to have a convo, albeit difficult. This last time it all really came together. Our server, Tim, was perfectly attentive but also understanding as we caught up with friends from high school. That's about 35 years of catching up! The food was executed perfectly, and my fettucini paella style was wonderfully layered, with tender scallops, clams, and prawns, caught just at the right moment of deliciousness. In all honesty, we've had the menu before. The execution was the delightful difference this time.Special Features:
- Great first time!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014We had a nice outdoor table and it was quiet enough to hear one another and yet lively enough with a full patio to be enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014perfect as always. We love the Wine Cellar. We sat outside with friends. Perfect summer evening. Food was great as was the service.Special Features:
- A Perfect EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Treated a friend of mine to dinner here to celebrate her birthday and we had a wonderful time, as usual! The food was delicious and the service was wonderful and we were able to sit on the patio and enjoy the perfect weather. She said the Fisherman's Stew is her new favorite dish and I had the salmon, perfectly prepared, which was excellent. We can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Excellent experienceluvtheoutdoorsDined on 8/28/2014I had been once before with my daughter and had a great time, so when my friend's birthday came along, I had no doubts that this would be the place to treat her to lunch. The outdoor patio is great, looks almost magical with the sun sipping through the umbrellas and the flowers surrounding the already beautiful area. I can't wait to go with my husband for a date night!Special Features:
- Always enjoyable...ZGirlVIPDined on 8/19/2014Always an enjoyable experience. Great patio, superb waiter. This visit my entree lunch salad of arugula & chicken was not to my satisfaction. Anticipated it to be different that what was presented. No worries, will definitely be back to enjoy many of the dishes I like. My guests all thoroughly enjoyed their lunches.Special Features:
- Group diningGlennDined on 8/18/20143 couples enjoyed the variety of food offered and were able to talk to each other with a relatively quiet background. Overall, service and food was good.Special Features:
- Great Food!fonduemeDined on 8/18/2014The fondue was delectable and could be a meal on its own. The fish and chips were light and tasty. It was my first time there and there were many items on the menu that I plan to try at another time. I will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect birthday celebrationWatergirlDined on 8/13/2014I treated my friend to her birthday dinner here and we had a fab time! The waiter Garfleid was so attentive we never waited for anything! The food was delicious and the price was very reasonable! I put down in the remarks that I was taking a friend there for her birthday and they brought out the most delicious Hot Fudge Sunday! So thoughtful and delicious! A great time was had by all! Thank you and cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Delicious food and wine!MimiDawnDined on 8/13/2014We've been to the Wine Cellar now 3 times. Once for lunch and twice for dinner. The food & wine list are great! We're new to the area and it's become one of our favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.