Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
813 Anacapa Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.winecask.com/
- Phone: 8059669463x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 2pm, Saturdays noon - 4pm
Intermezzo Bar • Café: Monday-Friday 4:00pm to close, Saturdays 12pm-11pm, Closed on Sundays (walk-in basis only)
Tasting Room: Daily noon to 6pm
Restaurant: Tuesday - Sunday 5:30pm to 9pm or close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: David Rosner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Wine Cask offers several areas to host your event. There is no fee to enjoy the exclusive use of the restaurant, instead there is a food and beverage minimum expenditure (varies by room and date.)
A credit card hold is required. This deposit is non-refundable unless the reservation is cancelled at least 30 days prior to the date reserved.
A service charge of 20% and CA tax of 8% are additional.
The Special Event Menu is a streamlined version of our dinner menu; designed to provide a restaurant-quality experience. Guests do not have to “pre-order” their meal, instead they are presented with a personalized menu from which to choose. Please understand dishes and ingredients may change.
Vegetarian requests are welcome and certain substitutions are available with prior notice.
We have an award winning extensive wine list. Outside wine is not permitted for groups over ten.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Brodt 8059669463x
- Special Events: All groups are welcome at Wine Cask. You will have an intimate experience. We offer warm, inviting service featuring sophisticated yet familar cuisine. We offer indoor and outdoor seating, with various options for private events.
A word from Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
The Wine Cask Restaurant, Intermezzo Bar Cafe, Private Dining, and MWC Tasting Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara - Best Restaurants in Santa Barbara ›
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)romantic (32)notable wine list (32)special occasion (30)great for outdoor dining (28)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great service & fabulous food!HappyCoupleDined on 10/18/2014The food & service were excellent, but be prepared to spend some money ;-) It's definitely worth it for a special occasion!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperienceMFReviewVIPDined on 9/24/2014This restaurant has it all - great food, presentation, excellent service, atmosphere. We were seated near the fireplace - perfect. Food was amazing - service was beyond compare. Would highly recommend this Santa Barbara gem!!!Special Features:
- Good findFoodie2417Dined on 9/24/2014this place is nicely tucked away in the El Paseo side of downtown SB. The food is very good, and portions are sufficient. I had come here for my husband's birthday and had mentioned it in the Open Table reservation, but the maitre'd didn't read it or mention it, which was disappointing.Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014while the outdoor setting is visually attractive it isn't well maintained and isn't a clean as it should be. the menu selection was appealing, but at least two of the four selections in our party were rather tasteless and quite disappointing. the server was polite, friendly and capable.
- Not-notablepamoramaDined on 9/20/2014The waiter was a wanna-be actor in a movie audition for a classy restaurant. He was playing the role, but there were no lights on. He was somewhere else, snooty and not accessible. Also his timing was really bad, not attentive at the right times. Luckily another more mature waiter noticed we were ready to order and was very kind, helpful and willing to take our order. The abalone appetizer was meh. The scallops were well prepared, but the kale salad was meager and unmemorable. Also was sorry to see we were given 3 miniature bread plates to share our order of 2 main courses and 1 appetizer among 3 of us. Seems it was more important to sell us main courses and pump up the tab than to be enthusiastic and show off their culinary talent.Special Features:
- dinner 9/20/14BruceVIPDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I completely enjoyed the chefs menu from start to finish. the wine pairing were perfect. The waiter Daniel was a super star. We will be back the next time were are in SB and yes we will tell friends. Bruce and Michele Ellicott City MDSpecial Features:
- DavidDined on 9/19/2014The occasion was fine in every respect, but the food. Since it was lunch, we had an excellent wine, an appetizer and two of their salad plates for the main course. Both salads were nothing to speak of. Mine was drenched in oil and very bland. The chicken nuggets were tough. My spouse states her's was not memorable. Neither salad was finished. As an afterthought, we have dined all over the world and know what good food tastes like.Special Features:
- Big DisappointmentEaterVIPDined on 9/16/2014Been dining here since 1990 and have seen several changes over the years. This change has been the worst! Food served is not the quality it should be, misrepresented on the menu, and just lacks flavor. I believe there has to be a plating problem as dishes served missing ingredients stated on the menu, ie fingerling potatoes in a salad nicoise. Acvacados in a Cobb salad couldn't even be cut with a knife - just don't serve them and give an explanation at time of ordering. However, service remains excellent and atmosphere wonderful but it will be some time before I try this new chef again.Special Features:
- Cold FishOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014The tasting menu my husband ordered was excellent. i ordered Halibut which was served cold as was the asparagus. however when mentioned they immediately prepared it for me again and it was excellent.Special Features:
- A long overdue return visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Over the years Santa Barbara has changed from a sleepy resort town to a vibrant one with a lot of terrific restaurants. Whenever we are in Santa Barbara we try to dine here as the quality and consistency of both food and service is outstanding. Our recent visit on 9/14/2014 didn't dissapoint. From start to finish we were treated to exceptional service by the wait staff. All of our food choices were executed well (cold foods cold etc. ) we left the pairing of wines by the glass ( plenty to choose from) to our waiter and were very pleased with the selection and the generous pour of each glass. While we don't visit Santa Barbara as much as we would like, when we return we will likely return to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014We have eaten here in the past, and this was such a disappointment. Abalone was like rubber,unlike any I have ever experienced! Spinach on the entree was stone cold. Other guests nearby returned food. The new chef needs enormous help to get it back the way it was!!!
- A truly memorable night outmsvoxDined on 9/7/2014Beautiful room. Exquisite, thoughtful, creative presentations and every dish surprised and delighted. Don't miss the cocktails. Didn't think we could possibly eat a dessert, but somehow found room for the sublime bread pudding.Special Features:
- Lunch good and badflewIn4LunchDined on 9/6/2014We booked Wine Cask for lunch. Upon arrival we are told the wine cask does not do lunch but their bar Intermezzo does and that was what our reservation was for. When I made the reservation I stated it was my 26 anniversary. The menu was a limited lunch menu, appetizers, salads and soups, sandwiches. Starter was roasted bone marrow. I've had this elsewhere and it can be delicious. But not here! It was a bone that was hollowed out and filled with flavored fat! When the server asked I told her frankly it was not too flavorful and very disappointing. She said she would tell the chef. My chicken sandwich was tasty, but nothing special. My wife had a salad with salmon, that was very good. No desert or well wishes, would not go back.
- Wished for a better wine listkatemVIPDined on 9/4/2014Loved the food but we're looking forward to ga more comprehensive wine list. Fairly new wines, not much interesting or unusual. Did not match its name.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great a SpotLuvFoodDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful ambience - great wine suggestion - food was outstanding - location is great alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeJImmyVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had great service. Probably should have sat inside because a lot of foot traffic and cars passing by. By the 3 small plates we ordered were terrific and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Prices and High QualityJaneVIPDined on 8/29/2014Order the abalone appetizer if you want to experience a sublime first course. This tender, slightly smokey flavored morsel will melt in your mouth. The scallops are beautifully presented on a rectangular plate with many wonderful and complex flavors including small towers of potatoes, crunchy snap peas, grilled asparagus, and a smear of orange sauce to perfectly compliment the generous portion of scallops. The duo of beef was a disappointment, the filet being somewhat tough and flavorless; thankfully, the short rib, however, had a rich, delicious beef flavor. We finished our meal with an excellent, warm, chocolate cake and ice cream. The sommelier had good suggestions for wines for each course; our server was very helpful and efficient.Special Features:
- jkweJKWEDined on 8/22/2014Heirloom tomato salad was fresh and tasty with interesting flavors and beautiful plating. Pork osso bucco was succulent, flavorful, and as tender as it should be. Waiter attentive, pleasant, and service timely.Special Features:
- CharmingTravelingPairDined on 8/20/2014The hostess, atmosphere, location and food were all great! The sommelier who, for the most part was our server, also, was charming and most helpful in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KAS1VIPDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful tapas type food. Lunch outdoors is also terrificI would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedDisappointedDined on 8/9/2014I hadn't been to The Wine Cask in about 10 years because my last experience there had been so negative. I decided to try it again as I had heard good things from a friend. I was very impressed with the ambiance upon arrival. The waiter was very professional and knew his menu well. While the wine list was impressive, the prices were way out of line. On average, the prices were 10-20% higher for the same wine compared to other Santa Barbara restaurants. We got off to a good start as the appetizers were excellent. The entres, however, were mediocre. I had duck with pork cheek and sausage. The duck was greasy and the pork cheek was overlooked. My wife had scallops, which were fine, but overpriced. Overall, ok but not worth the price.Special Features:
- Favorite Santa Barbara restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014This is our favorite upscale restaurant in Santa Barbara. Tonight we started with a special Abalone appetizer... Small portion but very good. My husband ordered the Lamb Trio - a couple of small chops, lamb sausage and lamb cheeks which he rated as excellent. It was hard not ordering the Duck Trio which I love but I wasn't overly hungry so tried the Crispy Skin Cod. The cod was served over black eyed peas with crispy chorizo.... also very good. Our waiter, Dan, who's also a sommelier, defiitely know his wines and we were very pleased with his recommendation. The level of service exceeded expectations. Cudos to Dan who made our evening even more special.Special Features:
- great wine great staff great menularryVIPDined on 8/6/2014who can find fault with a restaurant boasting some of the most sincere, welcoming, effective staff, a menu boasting a few unusual winners along with more common yet excellent offerings, a beautiful room, and a GREAT wine list. Brandon, the manager/sommelier is spot on in recommending excellent wines. Had a terrific cassoulet---something not on everyone's menu and something that's a bit much to take on at home.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/19/2014Went for our anniversary dinner. The service was fantastic. The food matched the service levels!Special Features:
- Fabulous serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014our waiter really understood our group and treated us perfectly, including he wine recommendations.Special Features:
- BarbaraBarbaraDined on 7/18/2014As always, the Wine Cask does not disappoint. The food, wonderful and beautifully presented, the service very attentive but not in your face, the wine list... amazing. We will be returning here soon as we have been doing for years.Special Features:
- Great courtyard diningSteakLoverVIPDined on 7/17/2014This was the second of four great restaurants we enjoyed in Santa Barbara. The Spanish style courtyard is gorgeous. There were large vines, plants, and a fountain which added a peaceful ambiance as we dined. For the most part, the food was incredible. We started with the heirloom tomato salad with burrata which was fantastic, and the mixed greens with pistachios and nectarines which had potential, but suffered from the lack of nectarines. The pieces I saw were smaller than my pinky nail. Unfortunate. We had the scallops and crispy cod for entrees. Scallops were a hit. Cod was a bit fishy, perhaps because it was skin on. The bread pudding with salted caramel and cookie pie were BOTH delicious!! Definitely a great spot for foodies.Special Features:
- Great evening in Santa BarbaraRCRCVIPDined on 7/16/2014I took my Dad here recently for his birthday. Brandon Bidwell helped us with the wines- he was excellent. Ask for him, he'll take care of you, if you are a novice or more of a connoisseur...Special Features:
- Lived up to its reputationBperrybreaVIPDined on 7/9/2014I had always wanted to dine at the Wine Cask and finally got the chance during a girl's week in Santa Barbara - it did not disappoint! Care was taken with the wine that we brought, menu items were discussed fully so that we could understand each dish, a wine-by-the-glass pairing was suggested for our white wine drinking friend and she was bowled over...I could go on and on, but suffice to say that we had the best time. I would recommend Wine Cask to anyone wanting a wonderful meal served in a professional and exceedingly friendly and kind manner. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceyogifoodieDined on 7/6/2014We were looking for somewhere for dinner that had a nice ambiance and great food. Wine Cask more than exceeded our expectations. Already familiar with Bouchon, we were delighted to find this sister restaurant in town. The wine list is extensive, the service was true white linen table cloth with a five star experience and the restaurant is beautiful. This is an intimate hip spot that is great for a romantic dinner, business meeting or family gathering. We will be back again!Special Features:
- Wine Cask ReliableMontecitoDinerVIPDined on 7/6/2014We always bring visitors to Wine Cask when in Santa Barbara. It has a unique feel and the wine list is great. It never fails to wow our guests.Special Features:
- Almost thereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/2/2014Enjoyed our meal at the Wine Cask. Food was visually appealing and well executed. Fish was cooked to perfection. We did not have a dish that knocked our socks off, so maybe I am being too harsh on this review as everything else about the evening was excellent.Special Features:
- The following 465 reviews are from the Wine Cask - Santa Barbara reviews archive.
- A light lunchrxmarilynrxVIPDined on 6/4/2014This restaurant was recommended by Bouchon;(a sister restaurant); the al fresco dining was delightful but the food left something to be desired; definitely not the place to go if you are hungry unless you want a burger; the salads are scant and nothing special and the variety was nothing out of the ordinary.Special Features:
- Great food and experience!CLB2Dined on 5/29/2014My boyfriend and I were celebrating his birthday and decided to eat here, we are from the bay area and were just visiting the SB region. The food was excellent, we shared an appetizer, entree and dessert. The lobster fettucini was delicious but the scallops were even better. We then shared the butterscotch pudding, home made and absolutely to die for! We are both foodies and enjoy trying new places and new dishes, highly recommend this place for a romantic or special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SCBrewDined on 5/29/2014Went here for a birthday lunch. The food was outstanding! Definitely got for foodies. I had the white fish. The plate was an explosion of flavors and colors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More hype than it's worthuvuuvuVIPDined on 5/25/2014Food was ok, nothing special. Service was also just ok. We ordered a bottle of wine and the waiter came by only once to refill our glasses. We also told the waiter we were going to share all of our food and the waiter did not provide us with any plates when the food came out. So we had to improvise and use our bread plate. Wait staff also spilled water all over my hand and menu when refilling my water.
- Best of Santa BarbaraLKRJDined on 5/24/2014One of Santa Barbara's best restaurants. If you like food and wine in a relaxed atmosphere (no dress-up required), then this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I have had in yearspspmikeVIPDined on 5/21/2014I was surprised how good it was. The pork chop was amazing. Flavorful, just outstanding. My partner's Ahi was equally outstanding. Wine list to die for, almost overwhelming. Definitely worth it. One of the best in Santa Barbara, bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Rozet50VIPDined on 5/11/2014Everything was very nice... beautiful restaurant, great service, and delicious food. Do not skip dessert!Special Features:
- Lunch outdoorsFoodieKatDined on 5/9/2014We went to Wine Cask for lunch with family. While the food was o.k., the service was excellent and the outdoor dining was beautiful.Special Features: