Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
813 Anacapa Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.winecask.com/
- Phone: 8059669463
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 2pm, Saturdays noon - 4pm
Intermezzo Bar • Café: Monday-Friday 4:00pm to close, Saturdays 12pm-11pm, Closed on Sundays (walk-in basis only)
Tasting Room: Daily noon to 6pm
Restaurant: Tuesday - Sunday 5:30pm to 9pm or close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Brandon Hughes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Wine Cask offers several areas to host your event. There is no fee to enjoy the exclusive use of the restaurant, instead there is a food and beverage minimum expenditure (varies by room and date.)
A credit card hold is required. This deposit is non-refundable unless the reservation is cancelled at least 30 days prior to the date reserved.
A service charge of 20% and CA tax of 8% are additional.
The Special Event Menu is a streamlined version of our dinner menu; designed to provide a restaurant-quality experience. Guests do not have to “pre-order” their meal, instead they are presented with a personalized menu from which to choose. Please understand dishes and ingredients may change.
Vegetarian requests are welcome and certain substitutions are available with prior notice.
We have an award winning extensive wine list. Outside wine is not permitted for groups over ten.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Brodt 8059669463
- Special Events: All groups are welcome at Wine Cask. You will have an intimate experience. We offer warm, inviting service featuring sophisticated yet familar cuisine. We offer indoor and outdoor seating, with various options for private events.
A word from Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
The Wine Cask Restaurant, Intermezzo Bar Cafe, Private Dining, and MWC Tasting Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara - Best Restaurants in Santa Barbara ›
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)notable wine list (34)romantic (29)special occasion (29)great for outdoor dining (28)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great a SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Wonderful ambience - great wine suggestion - food was outstanding - location is great alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeJImmyVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had great service. Probably should have sat inside because a lot of foot traffic and cars passing by. By the 3 small plates we ordered were terrific and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Prices and High QualityJaneVIPDined on 8/29/2014Order the abalone appetizer if you want to experience a sublime first course. This tender, slightly smokey flavored morsel will melt in your mouth. The scallops are beautifully presented on a rectangular plate with many wonderful and complex flavors including small towers of potatoes, crunchy snap peas, grilled asparagus, and a smear of orange sauce to perfectly compliment the generous portion of scallops. The duo of beef was a disappointment, the filet being somewhat tough and flavorless; thankfully, the short rib, however, had a rich, delicious beef flavor. We finished our meal with an excellent, warm, chocolate cake and ice cream. The sommelier had good suggestions for wines for each course; our server was very helpful and efficient.Special Features:
- jkweJKWEDined on 8/22/2014Heirloom tomato salad was fresh and tasty with interesting flavors and beautiful plating. Pork osso bucco was succulent, flavorful, and as tender as it should be. Waiter attentive, pleasant, and service timely.Special Features:
- CharmingTravelingPairDined on 8/20/2014The hostess, atmosphere, location and food were all great! The sommelier who, for the most part was our server, also, was charming and most helpful in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedDisappointedDined on 8/9/2014I hadn't been to The Wine Cask in about 10 years because my last experience there had been so negative. I decided to try it again as I had heard good things from a friend. I was very impressed with the ambiance upon arrival. The waiter was very professional and knew his menu well. While the wine list was impressive, the prices were way out of line. On average, the prices were 10-20% higher for the same wine compared to other Santa Barbara restaurants. We got off to a good start as the appetizers were excellent. The entres, however, were mediocre. I had duck with pork cheek and sausage. The duck was greasy and the pork cheek was overlooked. My wife had scallops, which were fine, but overpriced. Overall, ok but not worth the price.Special Features:
- Favorite Santa Barbara restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014This is our favorite upscale restaurant in Santa Barbara. Tonight we started with a special Abalone appetizer... Small portion but very good. My husband ordered the Lamb Trio - a couple of small chops, lamb sausage and lamb cheeks which he rated as excellent. It was hard not ordering the Duck Trio which I love but I wasn't overly hungry so tried the Crispy Skin Cod. The cod was served over black eyed peas with crispy chorizo.... also very good. Our waiter, Dan, who's also a sommelier, defiitely know his wines and we were very pleased with his recommendation. The level of service exceeded expectations. Cudos to Dan who made our evening even more special.Special Features:
- great wine great staff great menularryVIPDined on 8/6/2014who can find fault with a restaurant boasting some of the most sincere, welcoming, effective staff, a menu boasting a few unusual winners along with more common yet excellent offerings, a beautiful room, and a GREAT wine list. Brandon, the manager/sommelier is spot on in recommending excellent wines. Had a terrific cassoulet---something not on everyone's menu and something that's a bit much to take on at home.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/19/2014Went for our anniversary dinner. The service was fantastic. The food matched the service levels!Special Features:
- Fabulous serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014our waiter really understood our group and treated us perfectly, including he wine recommendations.Special Features:
- BarbaraBarbaraDined on 7/18/2014As always, the Wine Cask does not disappoint. The food, wonderful and beautifully presented, the service very attentive but not in your face, the wine list... amazing. We will be returning here soon as we have been doing for years.Special Features:
- Great courtyard diningSteakLoverVIPDined on 7/17/2014This was the second of four great restaurants we enjoyed in Santa Barbara. The Spanish style courtyard is gorgeous. There were large vines, plants, and a fountain which added a peaceful ambiance as we dined. For the most part, the food was incredible. We started with the heirloom tomato salad with burrata which was fantastic, and the mixed greens with pistachios and nectarines which had potential, but suffered from the lack of nectarines. The pieces I saw were smaller than my pinky nail. Unfortunate. We had the scallops and crispy cod for entrees. Scallops were a hit. Cod was a bit fishy, perhaps because it was skin on. The bread pudding with salted caramel and cookie pie were BOTH delicious!! Definitely a great spot for foodies.Special Features:
- Great evening in Santa BarbaraRCRCVIPDined on 7/16/2014I took my Dad here recently for his birthday. Brandon Bidwell helped us with the wines- he was excellent. Ask for him, he'll take care of you, if you are a novice or more of a connoisseur...Special Features:
- Lived up to its reputationBperrybreaVIPDined on 7/9/2014I had always wanted to dine at the Wine Cask and finally got the chance during a girl's week in Santa Barbara - it did not disappoint! Care was taken with the wine that we brought, menu items were discussed fully so that we could understand each dish, a wine-by-the-glass pairing was suggested for our white wine drinking friend and she was bowled over...I could go on and on, but suffice to say that we had the best time. I would recommend Wine Cask to anyone wanting a wonderful meal served in a professional and exceedingly friendly and kind manner. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceyogifoodieDined on 7/6/2014We were looking for somewhere for dinner that had a nice ambiance and great food. Wine Cask more than exceeded our expectations. Already familiar with Bouchon, we were delighted to find this sister restaurant in town. The wine list is extensive, the service was true white linen table cloth with a five star experience and the restaurant is beautiful. This is an intimate hip spot that is great for a romantic dinner, business meeting or family gathering. We will be back again!Special Features:
- Wine Cask ReliableMontecitoDinerVIPDined on 7/6/2014We always bring visitors to Wine Cask when in Santa Barbara. It has a unique feel and the wine list is great. It never fails to wow our guests.Special Features:
- Almost thereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/2/2014Enjoyed our meal at the Wine Cask. Food was visually appealing and well executed. Fish was cooked to perfection. We did not have a dish that knocked our socks off, so maybe I am being too harsh on this review as everything else about the evening was excellent.Special Features:
- A light lunchrxmarilynrxVIPDined on 6/4/2014This restaurant was recommended by Bouchon;(a sister restaurant); the al fresco dining was delightful but the food left something to be desired; definitely not the place to go if you are hungry unless you want a burger; the salads are scant and nothing special and the variety was nothing out of the ordinary.Special Features:
- Great food and experience!CLB2Dined on 5/29/2014My boyfriend and I were celebrating his birthday and decided to eat here, we are from the bay area and were just visiting the SB region. The food was excellent, we shared an appetizer, entree and dessert. The lobster fettucini was delicious but the scallops were even better. We then shared the butterscotch pudding, home made and absolutely to die for! We are both foodies and enjoy trying new places and new dishes, highly recommend this place for a romantic or special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SCBrewDined on 5/29/2014Went here for a birthday lunch. The food was outstanding! Definitely got for foodies. I had the white fish. The plate was an explosion of flavors and colors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More hype than it's worthuvuuvuDined on 5/25/2014Food was ok, nothing special. Service was also just ok. We ordered a bottle of wine and the waiter came by only once to refill our glasses. We also told the waiter we were going to share all of our food and the waiter did not provide us with any plates when the food came out. So we had to improvise and use our bread plate. Wait staff also spilled water all over my hand and menu when refilling my water.
- Best of Santa BarbaraLKRJDined on 5/24/2014One of Santa Barbara's best restaurants. If you like food and wine in a relaxed atmosphere (no dress-up required), then this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I have had in yearspspmikeVIPDined on 5/21/2014I was surprised how good it was. The pork chop was amazing. Flavorful, just outstanding. My partner's Ahi was equally outstanding. Wine list to die for, almost overwhelming. Definitely worth it. One of the best in Santa Barbara, bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Rozet50VIPDined on 5/11/2014Everything was very nice... beautiful restaurant, great service, and delicious food. Do not skip dessert!Special Features:
- Lunch outdoorsFoodieKatDined on 5/9/2014We went to Wine Cask for lunch with family. While the food was o.k., the service was excellent and the outdoor dining was beautiful.Special Features:
- The following 457 reviews are from the Wine Cask - Santa Barbara reviews archive.
- 5 StarsRacerXDined on 5/2/2014My dining experience at the Wine Cask was certainly one to remember. Living in Santa Barbara my whole life, I had always heard great things about this place, and well one day I decided to see what a the talk was about. I was not disappointed. The food was exceptional as well as the ambiance. I will certainly be coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened?FuzzyVIPDined on 4/11/2014We have always considered this one of the best restaurants in S Barbara. Four of us ate there this last Friday night and all of the meals were off. The scallops were over salted, the pepper steak was Ok but not great. My Duck dish was a total failure. The duck sausage was over cooked and dry, the bean cassoulet was under seasoned, but the worst was the leg confit. Either too long in the brine or else the brine was too salty because the finished leg was so salty I could not eat it at all. If my wife and I had been there by ourselves I would have sent it back and asked to see the chef.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/10/2014fun & creative ingredients prepared beautifully which complimented the whole dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ReleveUnlimitedDined on 4/8/2014We brought out clients from Cleveland Ohio to experience the best that Santa Barbara has to offer and the Wine Cask delivered once again. Outstanding food, awesome wine list and impeccable service. All were impressed and they will be bringing their group back for dinner.Special Features:
- A Special Dining ExperienceEvieFDined on 4/8/2014The Wine Cask is a very special place to dine. We were going to a concert at the Lobero Theatre and picked the Wine Cask for our before our before the concert restaurant. The ambience is comfortable and elegant. The food was excellent. I had the salmon and my husband had the Ahi. We shared a very good salad. Both dishes were cooked perfectly and the accompanying dishes were very good. The wine and cocktail selection were very good. It is a place where we would dine again and recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We used to love the Wine CaskOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/3/2014Beautiful restaurant with great ambience....too bad the food and service were so lacking. We ordered the Grilled Wagyu New York Strips (Medium Rare), our medium rare was so over cooked it was grey in spots, we were only able to eat a small part of the strip. The roasted carrot mash tasted like over sweet pumpkin, nothing like carrots. When I mentioned the over cooked strips to our busser, he seemed not to understand what we were talking about. Finally made him understand it was over cooked, and please take it away. Our server was busy talking the hostess, she forgot us after she took our order, which was the reason we were stuck with the busser taking care of us. After sending the strips back, no one came to our table to follow up.
- For Wine and Dine LoversSoozDined on 3/30/2014Terrific wine list! Menu not overly busy. Service was a bit spotty because I think they may have been understaffed that evening. Butterscotch pudding was ho-hum, but the beignets were truly amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went at 3pm so it was prettySaliDined on 3/29/2014We went at 3pm so it was pretty quiet. The staff were getting Ready for the evening events so seemed a bit preoccupied & busy. However, were friendly and attentive when we approached them.The ambience Was quiet which we like a bit of a livier scene. I heard really good things about this place so wanted to check It out. Will have to try it out at night however was unable to get a reservation the entire Wknd except 3pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice eveningRandyholDined on 3/25/2014Dined here for dinner on a Tuesday during a recent mid-week get away to Santa Barbara. We had a marvelous dinner, with many thanks to table server Adam for his help with our vegetarian palates. Adam recommended an "off menu" dish he said the kitchen does regularly for vegetarians and it was delicious. Inventive and well prepared/presented mix of greens, legumes, mushrooms, and tofu like blocks made from chick pea flour. Very tasty. Paired it with a local Santa Barbara (Happy Canyon AVA) Sauvignon Blanc. Wine pricing was very fair and normal for restaurant prices, about 2x retail. An excellent meal from start to finish. Very highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, wine and atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2014We really enjoyed the vibe of this restaurant. There was a casual elegance to this warm and welcoming space. The food and its presentation were excellent. The staff was friendly and informative.Special Features:
- Dinner for oneTxinCaliDined on 3/1/2014My server was very attentive and her menu recommendations were superb! The meal was nothing short of fabulous and very flavorful! I deemed Wine Cask as my favorite restaurant in Santa Barbara!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningplumdumplingsDined on 2/28/2014Fun wine list, good handling of wine. Competent service. Menu could have been a bit more interesting, but did have some nice options. Food was quite good, but not much made us go "oh-my-god." Except for the bread pudding! Butterscotch pudding, not so much. Cheese plate is quite nice, but a larger selection would be appreciated. Seated right in the front room so didn't get an opportunity to check out rest of restaurant. Very pleasant atmosphere where we were.Special Features:
- Ideal place to celebrate your 50thBrewserDined on 2/25/2014Looking for foodie place in Santa Barbara, the holiday rep rec Wine Cast, the booking was easily made in the UK and we had to change the date, all quick and easy. On the night it had a great ambience, with wood burning fire. The wine choice was great and the urban farmers salad was something special. So had the succulent beef, mmm lovely. For puds they kindly put a candle on it, a great ending fir a super night, well recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best for romance . . .BrentDined on 2/21/2014Outstanding service and ambiance. Lived up to all recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a very nice time, theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014We had a very nice time, the server was very good as were the drinks. The food was simply under seasoned, no salt or pepper seemed to have been added.