Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
813 Anacapa Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.winecask.com/
- Phone: (805) 966-9463
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 2pm, Saturdays noon - 4pm
Intermezzo Bar • Café: Monday-Friday 4:00pm to close, Saturdays 12pm-11pm, Closed on Sundays (walk-in basis only)
Tasting Room: Daily noon to 6pm
Restaurant: Tuesday - Sunday 5:30pm to 9pm or close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: David Rosner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Wine Cask offers several areas to host your event. There is no fee to enjoy the exclusive use of the restaurant, instead there is a food and beverage minimum expenditure (varies by room and date.)
A credit card hold is required. This deposit is non-refundable unless the reservation is cancelled at least 30 days prior to the date reserved.
A service charge of 20% and CA tax of 8% are additional.
The Special Event Menu is a streamlined version of our dinner menu; designed to provide a restaurant-quality experience. Guests do not have to “pre-order” their meal, instead they are presented with a personalized menu from which to choose. Please understand dishes and ingredients may change.
Vegetarian requests are welcome and certain substitutions are available with prior notice.
We have an award winning extensive wine list. Outside wine is not permitted for groups over ten.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Brodt 8059669463x
- Special Events: All groups are welcome at Wine Cask. You will have an intimate experience. We offer warm, inviting service featuring sophisticated yet familar cuisine. We offer indoor and outdoor seating, with various options for private events.
A word from Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
The Wine Cask Restaurant, Intermezzo Bar Cafe, Private Dining, and MWC Tasting Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara - Best Restaurants in Santa Barbara ›
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)romantic (36)notable wine list (34)special occasion (31)great for outdoor dining (25)good for groups (14)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- A light lunchrxmarilynrxVIPDined on 6/4/2014This restaurant was recommended by Bouchon;(a sister restaurant); the al fresco dining was delightful but the food left something to be desired; definitely not the place to go if you are hungry unless you want a burger; the salads are scant and nothing special and the variety was nothing out of the ordinary.Special Features:
- Great food and experience!CLB2Dined on 5/29/2014My boyfriend and I were celebrating his birthday and decided to eat here, we are from the bay area and were just visiting the SB region. The food was excellent, we shared an appetizer, entree and dessert. The lobster fettucini was delicious but the scallops were even better. We then shared the butterscotch pudding, home made and absolutely to die for! We are both foodies and enjoy trying new places and new dishes, highly recommend this place for a romantic or special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SCBrewDined on 5/29/2014Went here for a birthday lunch. The food was outstanding! Definitely got for foodies. I had the white fish. The plate was an explosion of flavors and colors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More hype than it's worthuvuuvuVIPDined on 5/25/2014Food was ok, nothing special. Service was also just ok. We ordered a bottle of wine and the waiter came by only once to refill our glasses. We also told the waiter we were going to share all of our food and the waiter did not provide us with any plates when the food came out. So we had to improvise and use our bread plate. Wait staff also spilled water all over my hand and menu when refilling my water.
- Best of Santa BarbaraLKRJDined on 5/24/2014One of Santa Barbara's best restaurants. If you like food and wine in a relaxed atmosphere (no dress-up required), then this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I have had in yearspspmikeVIPDined on 5/21/2014I was surprised how good it was. The pork chop was amazing. Flavorful, just outstanding. My partner's Ahi was equally outstanding. Wine list to die for, almost overwhelming. Definitely worth it. One of the best in Santa Barbara, bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Rozet50VIPDined on 5/11/2014Everything was very nice... beautiful restaurant, great service, and delicious food. Do not skip dessert!Special Features:
- Lunch outdoorsFoodieKatDined on 5/9/2014We went to Wine Cask for lunch with family. While the food was o.k., the service was excellent and the outdoor dining was beautiful.Special Features:
- 5 StarsRacerXDined on 5/2/2014My dining experience at the Wine Cask was certainly one to remember. Living in Santa Barbara my whole life, I had always heard great things about this place, and well one day I decided to see what a the talk was about. I was not disappointed. The food was exceptional as well as the ambiance. I will certainly be coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened?FuzzyVIPDined on 4/11/2014We have always considered this one of the best restaurants in S Barbara. Four of us ate there this last Friday night and all of the meals were off. The scallops were over salted, the pepper steak was Ok but not great. My Duck dish was a total failure. The duck sausage was over cooked and dry, the bean cassoulet was under seasoned, but the worst was the leg confit. Either too long in the brine or else the brine was too salty because the finished leg was so salty I could not eat it at all. If my wife and I had been there by ourselves I would have sent it back and asked to see the chef.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/10/2014fun & creative ingredients prepared beautifully which complimented the whole dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ReleveUnlimitedDined on 4/8/2014We brought out clients from Cleveland Ohio to experience the best that Santa Barbara has to offer and the Wine Cask delivered once again. Outstanding food, awesome wine list and impeccable service. All were impressed and they will be bringing their group back for dinner.Special Features:
- A Special Dining ExperienceEvieFDined on 4/8/2014The Wine Cask is a very special place to dine. We were going to a concert at the Lobero Theatre and picked the Wine Cask for our before our before the concert restaurant. The ambience is comfortable and elegant. The food was excellent. I had the salmon and my husband had the Ahi. We shared a very good salad. Both dishes were cooked perfectly and the accompanying dishes were very good. The wine and cocktail selection were very good. It is a place where we would dine again and recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We used to love the Wine CaskOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/3/2014Beautiful restaurant with great ambience....too bad the food and service were so lacking. We ordered the Grilled Wagyu New York Strips (Medium Rare), our medium rare was so over cooked it was grey in spots, we were only able to eat a small part of the strip. The roasted carrot mash tasted like over sweet pumpkin, nothing like carrots. When I mentioned the over cooked strips to our busser, he seemed not to understand what we were talking about. Finally made him understand it was over cooked, and please take it away. Our server was busy talking the hostess, she forgot us after she took our order, which was the reason we were stuck with the busser taking care of us. After sending the strips back, no one came to our table to follow up.
- For Wine and Dine LoversSoozDined on 3/30/2014Terrific wine list! Menu not overly busy. Service was a bit spotty because I think they may have been understaffed that evening. Butterscotch pudding was ho-hum, but the beignets were truly amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went at 3pm so it was prettySaliDined on 3/29/2014We went at 3pm so it was pretty quiet. The staff were getting Ready for the evening events so seemed a bit preoccupied & busy. However, were friendly and attentive when we approached them.The ambience Was quiet which we like a bit of a livier scene. I heard really good things about this place so wanted to check It out. Will have to try it out at night however was unable to get a reservation the entire Wknd except 3pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice eveningRandyholDined on 3/25/2014Dined here for dinner on a Tuesday during a recent mid-week get away to Santa Barbara. We had a marvelous dinner, with many thanks to table server Adam for his help with our vegetarian palates. Adam recommended an "off menu" dish he said the kitchen does regularly for vegetarians and it was delicious. Inventive and well prepared/presented mix of greens, legumes, mushrooms, and tofu like blocks made from chick pea flour. Very tasty. Paired it with a local Santa Barbara (Happy Canyon AVA) Sauvignon Blanc. Wine pricing was very fair and normal for restaurant prices, about 2x retail. An excellent meal from start to finish. Very highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, wine and atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2014We really enjoyed the vibe of this restaurant. There was a casual elegance to this warm and welcoming space. The food and its presentation were excellent. The staff was friendly and informative.Special Features:
- Dinner for oneTxinCaliDined on 3/1/2014My server was very attentive and her menu recommendations were superb! The meal was nothing short of fabulous and very flavorful! I deemed Wine Cask as my favorite restaurant in Santa Barbara!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningplumdumplingsDined on 2/28/2014Fun wine list, good handling of wine. Competent service. Menu could have been a bit more interesting, but did have some nice options. Food was quite good, but not much made us go "oh-my-god." Except for the bread pudding! Butterscotch pudding, not so much. Cheese plate is quite nice, but a larger selection would be appreciated. Seated right in the front room so didn't get an opportunity to check out rest of restaurant. Very pleasant atmosphere where we were.Special Features:
- Ideal place to celebrate your 50thBrewserDined on 2/25/2014Looking for foodie place in Santa Barbara, the holiday rep rec Wine Cast, the booking was easily made in the UK and we had to change the date, all quick and easy. On the night it had a great ambience, with wood burning fire. The wine choice was great and the urban farmers salad was something special. So had the succulent beef, mmm lovely. For puds they kindly put a candle on it, a great ending fir a super night, well recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best for romance . . .BrentDined on 2/21/2014Outstanding service and ambiance. Lived up to all recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a very nice time, theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014We had a very nice time, the server was very good as were the drinks. The food was simply under seasoned, no salt or pepper seemed to have been added.
- Never disappoints !!1DinerDined on 2/15/2014I have been coming here for 30 years and each time is better than the last. With the original owner back on deck it was the best yet! The waitress was delightful and the food yummy. The ambiance is stunning..... a DO NOT MISS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not up to parRegularDudeDined on 2/14/2014For some context, I'm rating Wine Cask's food as "poor" for a high-end restaurant. For their price point, Wine Cask should be serving food that impresses. Both my starter and my main course were very salty. Even the waiter agreed that the soup was too salty and comped my drinks. The service was good, but I was so disappointed in the food that the overall experience suffered.
- Delicious & RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014My boyfriend and I visited Wine Cask for the first time over Valentine's Day. We brought our own wine which they graciously put in a decanter for us at the table. We also had the pre-fix tasting menu. I'm usually not a fan of pre-fixed menus but this one was out of this world! I had the filet mignon and lobster and my boyfriend had the NY strip. The filet melted in your mouth and the NY strip was so tasty and flavorful. Overall one of the best meals we've ever shared together. The staff was also very pleasant and accommodating. Even gave us a parting gift of chocolates because of the Valentine's holiday! Bravo Wine Cask! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Great for Special OccasionsxenobiaDined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentin's Dinner. The food was excellent as was the service. Fairly extensive wine list and the staff was quite knowledgeable about the wines. Service was well timed allowing us to have a relaxing meal but not having to wonder when the next course was arriving. Portions were sufficient, we left with a "doggie" bag. I would recommend it for special occassions such as birthdays, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite spot in sabraOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014My favorite spot in sabra Barbara for a quite romantic dining with my wife. We had our wedding dinner there c and come back each year for our anniversary and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been here once for lunch andKAS1VIPDined on 2/13/2014Been here once for lunch and decided to try it for dinner. Food is excellent. Service is very attentive and they are very helpful with wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experience.AndSheCooks2Dined on 2/13/2014We enjoyed the: baby kale & the mixed greens salads, the lobster fettuccine starter, then the salmon, the scallops and the whitefish. All was well prepared, fresh and interesting. It was fancy but not stuffy. The dining room is spacious so you don't feel crowded by other diners, ambiance is tasteful. Staff was friendly. We admit we were tired from travel, but thought we waited a tad too long for entrees. You decide....had 7pm reservation, salads came within reasonable, entrees arrived at 8:10 approx. Not a big deal, but it was a weeknight. We were not lingering over wine, and we didn't order dessert. Overall, everything was delicious. We had a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat DisappointedEagleDined on 2/13/2014We have been to this restaurant several times but not in the last five years. Obviously things change. Our two top was very close quarters for starters. The serving of salmon for the main was maybe 4oz but we doubt it. Overall portion size was small on the other mains. Surprised not to see a filet or ribeye. Its the Chef's perogative. Most likely has dropped out of our Santa Barbara rotation when visiting. Something was missing that was there before in the ambiance.
- A Bit of a SurpriseLouvibesDined on 2/1/2014The Wine Cask itself actually wasn't open; we had a nice lunch, however, in Intermezzo, its adjacent café. Very good but not quite what we were expecting. Nice wine list, not exorbitantly priced. Very good burgers and nice flatbread pizza. Sat by a fireplace, as we requested. Surprisingly few customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Dinning in DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/26/2014Located on the backside (from State Street) in el Paseo, this iconic restaurant continues to serve creative and beautifully presented dishes. We were there on a Sunday night and it was not too crowded or noisy. Both of our main courses were delicious; Seared Sea Scallops and Rosemary Crusted Ahi Tuna that was accompanied by a Sunflower Seed "risotto" that was so good we looked it up on the Internet and will try to replicate it at home. They have an extensive wine list, primarily of local Santa Barbara and Central Coast wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebration at wine caskOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2014Wonderful place for special occasions. We went with two of our daughters To celebrate my husbands birthday. Food divine Service perfect Ambience very European Wine list wonderful choices Place to talk things over Thank you wine cask we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bellYDined on 1/18/2014A huge disappointment: carelessly assembled food, uninventive menu, multiple staff mess-ups. Some very odd and unjustified (even for an avantgarde palate) choices when it came to the drink menu. Two years prior we had a fantastic experience there, not sure what could have gone so wrong. For an out-of-town dining experience at the price point they couldn't have done worse.
- A bit disappointingSB4diningVIPDined on 1/17/2014Used to love this place. Took out of town guests and really felt it was not the best choice. We did not love the menu, and the food was just OKAY not GREAT. We will hesitate to go back.
- Good not greatWinedocVIPDined on 1/17/2014Absolutely no objection to the food but nothing creative. Same as every other santa barbara rest which isnt badSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime ExperienceIoneTaylorVIPDined on 1/11/2014The restaurant is beautifully decorated to evoke Santa Barbara's stately past while still feeling current. The service was spot-on, there when we needed them, gone when we didn't. We overheard them deal professionally and pleasantly with an extremely crabby diner next to us. My husband and I both ordered the boullabaise. I thought it was the best boullabaise I've had in years; my husband wished it had had more vegetables. We both agreed that the seafood was prepared perfectly and that the broth was richly flavored. Our server was helpful in pairing wine with our dinner. The desserts were very good - my husband gobbled up the butterscotch pudding and then helped me with my coconut beignets. A wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Romantic DinningBethieDined on 1/5/2014This was a great find in Santa Barbara. The food was delightful along with the staff. The dinning room is fabulous. The decor is similar to a 5 star restaurant in Las Vegas. Impressive all around.Special Features:
- JohnMVIPDined on 1/3/2014Had not been for several years! Seems to have lost most of the charm and unique foodie creations. Disappointed!