215 Xenia Avenue
Yellow Springs, OH 45387Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.windscafe.com/
- Phone: 9377671144
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am -3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kim Korkan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small intimate private dining room that accommodates up to 30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Mary Kay Smith 937-767-1144
A word from Winds Café
Winds Café is located in the small, progressive town of Yellow Springs. Visitors enjoy independent and artisan shops, riding along the bike path, hiking in Glen Helen and John Bryan State Park, music or performing arts venues and independent art films at Little Art Theater. The food is European inspired with an American twist and uses as many local ingredients as Chef Kim can find. The menu and wines change monthly to reflect the seasons, and no, you cannot have tomato on your sandwich in February. Winds Café tries to find organic producers whose methods are humane, ethical and environmentally friendly. The restaurant is committed to keeping prices affordable and the quality of the food high; and is also committed to providing excellent, informed service in a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere. In a sprawling sea of chain restaurants, Winds offers food and wine that is accessible and adventurous providing gastronomic opportunities usually only found in larger cities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Winds Café - Best Restaurants in Yellow Springs ›
Winds Café reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (97)neighborhood gem (80)special occasion (76)great for outdoor dining (68)notable wine list (60)great for brunch (48)great for lunch (43)romantic (39)good for groups (21)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (5)Show More
- Brunch at WindsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014Love this place usually, today must have been an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winds is still as great as ever!CKSeatsDined on 9/21/2014Whenever we get up to Yellow Springs, we always try to eat at Winds. They are a cut above in every way. The food is always delicious, creative and healthy. This time we had a gift certificate. They let us put our tip on the gift certificate, so the meal cost us absolutely nothing! There was money leftover we can use another time. This restaurant is one of the things that makes Yellow Springs so special!Special Features:
- Fabulous except for the bees!hockeyangelDined on 9/21/2014This is my 2nd time at the Winds Cafe, food was fabulous, ambiance is wonderful, waiter was very personable! We sat outside and we're bombarded by bees this time. So much so, we were using our water glasses to squash them as they landed on our plates, and trapping them in the syrup containers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service EVERnotafanDined on 9/20/2014Early dinner reservations, 5:15 for a birthday. Service was horrible, food selections very limited. Waited over an hour for food. Asked for more bread did not receive. Waiter was rude. Just overall very disappointing and we wont ever go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014Food was wonderful. Service... Not at all wonderful. Also..a tiny detail but indicative of our experience.... We asked for a candle in our dessert for our birthday girl... Not only did we not receive the candle but we got the wrong dessert. Will have to think hard before going back.Special Features:
- Fun timeSactoDined on 9/18/2014I take my parents to the Winds Cafe every time I visit them in Ohio. This time my sister from Florida joined us. The food was great as always and we enjoyed our time at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Good place but a little expensivereturnrollerDined on 9/13/2014This used to be 1 of our favorite places. But this is the first time we've been back there in years. And it still to be a good place. The food is gourmet and great. I think it is a little expensive for what you get, and I think the menu is a little limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsLongportDined on 9/13/2014Love the fall menu, at this charming restaurant. The squash and pumpkin lasagna is an annual favorite! The beet terrine, with goat cheese is not only beautiful, it is delicious. Even the mixed bread basket is always an exciting collection of unusual, house baked breads. I always wish I had room for dessert but, I just have to settle for reading the menu. You can not miss, with their monthly changing, seasonal menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The nicest place in a unique townMacktheKnifeDined on 9/12/2014Along with many others we know, my wife and I love Yellow Springs. We had been looking for chance to dine at the Winds, and our anniversary (let's just say for the sake of demographic identification that it is between our 30th and 35th) seemed a good time. We had a memorable meal with excellent food and service. My steak was unique and delicious. Perhaps it was just something with the clientele that particular evening, but the noise level was a little more than I expected as such a fine place. In spite of that, we will be sure to return, and I would recommend The Winds Café as an excellent dining experience that was well worth the price.Special Features:
- food great, service poorluvyellowspringsDined on 9/10/2014On our 1yr anniv. Took 20 minutes before we my 1st glass of wine and my husbands beer arrived.We had finished the carafe of water before our drinks arrived. But when we were out or low on our beer and wine, he walked by but didn't ask if we would like another drink, so we had to flagged someone down to order another drink. When we were finished with our meal another gal came to remove plates which was fine, but she started to take my wine glass away too, which was not all the way empty. Food was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodJPB1Dined on 9/9/2014After many dinners at Winds, I can say that it is always an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- The WindsDisappointedDined on 9/7/2014I have dined at The Winds for many years and have alway had a good experience. When I was there on 9/7/14 we were seated in a corner and seems we were forgotton. All I wanted was some water While waiting for our meals. The manager on duty told us his problems (not my problem) with lack of workers that day. The food was very mediocore - not the quality I have prevously experienced. I had brought someone with me who had never dined at The Winds and had raved about how good it was. I was so wrong!
- A Gem in Yellow SpringsDianeVIPDined on 9/6/2014I only get to Yellow Springs, OH once every couple years for a yoga weekend, but this is always a *must* for Saturday evening dinner. Beautiful place, delicious and creative food, impressive wine and drink selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dinnerEagleDJCDined on 8/29/2014The menu is different every time I go and the choices are always very appealing. The salmon was wonderful and the fig tart for dessert was awesome. It is a "go to" spot for us on special occasions and worth the drive.Special Features:
- Always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014I can always count the ambience, good food and service of The Winds Cafe so I regularly suggest it to friends with whom I meet in a Yellow Springs.Special Features:
- fun findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed it very much. Dynamic menu selection, nicely presented and complete wine list. Friendly staff, well served. Don't be in a hurry here - too much to sample.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tebjDined on 8/22/2014The food was great, but don't order the fig tart for dessert. If you do, then you won't get your dessert with the rest of your table. Everyone else was finished with their dessert by the time my tart arrived.
- wizardsworldVIPDined on 8/19/2014On business travel, so tried as many of the local foodie places as possible. Winds rates the highest out of all that I went to over the past 4 months, since the menu was much more ecclectic and the preparations very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Winds CafeCathyVIPDined on 8/17/2014We have been to the Winds Café for dinner and have always enjoyed it. This time we went for their Sunday Brunch. It was delicious! I highly recommend this restaurant for a relaxing Sunday. Afterwards, we visited a few shops and walked around. A good way to spend a Sunday after church.Special Features:
- The WindssnsiegelDined on 8/16/2014Always a pleasure to have dinner at The Winds Cafe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off just a bitgenoDined on 8/16/2014We specifically went for the feature entree. When we arrived they were out of the Walleye. The mngr gave us a free appetizer of fried cod, which was a bit fishy. Zuchini appetizers good but nothing memorable. Best part was the dates filed with goat cheese and wrapped in bacon. And the wine we chose was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MameDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food. Limited menu. Figs, Pigs and Goats is great!Special Features:
- A winner!MMMikeVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food: outstanding. Zucchini fritters great - light and not greasy - and beet/garlic accompaniment was amazingly colorful and delicious. My duck was perfectly cooked, and my wife loved her ratatouille crepes. HoHo cake for dessert was to die for. Even the bread (baked on site) was outstanding. Wine list is short enough to navigate easily, but varied enough to cover most tastes and is very well-chosen. We live in Cincinnati about an hour away, and we sure wish this restaurant was in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Food was excellent and the waiter was great. Bartender was lacking.Special Features:
- libraDined on 8/9/2014Every course was so delicious, the fresh figs filled with goat cheese and grilled bacon wrapped like a package was out of this world! Julia Child's chicken and spinach terrine was perfection. The Bistro steak with fresh corn beneath was a treat. The pann cotta was the best I have ever had! The Winds - well worth driving from Columbus --is a destination restaurant and has sustained their reputation for nearly 30 years now! Congratulations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedBIrdieDined on 8/8/2014Always look forward to dinner at Winds when visiting Yellow Springs. Started at the bar while waiting on our table. Bartender did not make us feel very welcome. Moved to the patio for dinner. Love the patio. Very comfortable. Took us a little while for our waiter to get to us, which is fine, I was a server and understand that you do get tied up sometimes. Then took longer to get drinks. We weren't very hungry so we had appetizers and a dinner salad called Leo's dilemma,which was a seasonal special. Appetizers we OK, but the salad was very unappealing and tasteless. White lettuce and under-dressed, tired looking. We'll return to Winds because we've had good experiences and I would still recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchfxdwg123Dined on 7/31/2014Lunch was great. Good food, good ambience...as always, the the food iswonderful.Special Features:
- Perennial FavoriteJoeSRDined on 7/27/2014Food is always great and menu changes with enough frequency to keep it very interesting. Wait staff are generally cordial and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely eveningbuckeyegalDined on 7/26/2014Great restaurant for special occasion or just a lovely evening out. The food is always innovative and delicious. We especially look forward to trying locally originated ingredients and the ever-changing seasonal menu and wine list. The portions are just right and the sevice is excellent and helpful with recommendations. We keep coming back! This trip offered zucchini fritters, several wonderful cherry dishes (salads and dessert) and perfect summer white and red wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceHDMBDined on 7/25/2014We went for our wedding anniversary. It was nice, but the service was a bit slow and I ran out of water several times (I was super thirsty and was going through glasses pretty quick though too). I later heard that there may have been a celebrity there that night, which may have affected our service. I did see a very large party get seated, so I know that can also be a challenge for the kitchen. The food was great: I had Zucchini Fritters and the Moroccan duck, while my husband had the Moroccan lam pasties and Walleye. We'll probably go back again sometime. Perhaps an earlier reservation when they may not be as crowded. It was fancy without being stuffy, a good place for a treat night out, without being unreasonable for "just because"Special Features:
- Lunch on the patiosagefoolDined on 7/25/2014The Winds was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday lunch al fresco. The service was attentive without being intrusive. We shared an interesting small plate, bacon-wrapped, goat cheese-stuffed figs to start, just enough for sharing. The bistro steak and tuna nicoise, favorites of ours, were well-prepared and delicious, as usual. Even though this is one of our favorite restaurants, there is always something new and interesting to try.Special Features:
- Love The Winds!PeggyGDined on 7/20/2014We always love the special trip out to Yellow Springs to get Sunday brunch. The food is always good. Sometimes the service is not so great, but this time our lovely waitress was excellent!Special Features:
- Potential to be great.ReiOfSunDined on 7/20/2014The food tastes good, main entree seasoned well, it's just not quite enough food and pricey. The shrimp had a metallic taste in the Morning Walk and the Fries were cold and under seasoned with the burger. The service is ok, very polite server, but waited extended periods of time to have drinks refilled and our dirty dishes sat in front of us until we left. The restaurant has had much better days and the potential to get back to those better days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunch, as usualGomershadDined on 7/18/2014I like to meet here for business lunches several times per year. The menu changes frequently, and there are always a number of out-of-the-ordinary offerings. Not too "far-out", mind you, but just unusual/unique dishes. I have never, ever gotten a dish that I regretted ordering. Everything this place puts out is just great. This particular lunch I had the Artichoke and Summer Herb Frittata. WOW! Heck before this lunch, I didn't even know what a "frittata" was!! They also have more traditional offerings and are kind of famous for their chicken salad and black bean chili. The place has a lot of non-vegetarian offerings, but is popular with vegetarians as well. Mixed clientele of locals, old, young, very casual, business folks for lunch.Special Features:
- *Great* For DinnerMatheson1Dined on 7/17/2014The Winds is simply the best restaurant outside of C-Bus or Dayton. The food is consistently flawless, with great care taken in its gathering and presentation. Local food is sourced whenever they can. I have eaten here a dozen times and never had a bad meal. That said, I recently ate here for lunch and realized that every time I've come for lunch (only) the service has been lackluster. One time I was overcharged for a tip (that server no longer works there), and recently it took 25 minutes to get a box for leftovers and a check. I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant for dinner. I would recommend with caution the lunches. Just make sure you've got enough time to hang around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of menuElizabethDined on 7/11/2014The menu has been changed. They took off the curry chicken salad that I was looking forward to enjoying with my friend! She asked me what was good, and I told her I wasn't sure because there was only one other thing I'd had to eat there for lunch. SO SAD not to have been able to have the curry chicken salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time at The WindslovecatsDined on 7/9/2014The Winds always provides an enjoyable dining experience with unusual food choices, a good wine list, and exceptional service. The outside patio is a favorite for us in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Our entrees were wonderful, but the small plates were somewhat disappointing. The wrapped fish small plate was overly bland while the bacon-and-cheese wrapped figs were dominated by the bacon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Disappointment EverFinickyFoodieDined on 7/5/2014Been going to Winds for 30 yrs and has always been my go-to restaurant for special occasion. And I live 60+ miles away. But it was a disappointment on all levels. Took 1 hour to be seated even with a 6:45 reservation. Server was young and not well-versed on menu, wines nor could she multi-task. She seemed overwhelmed. The busboy was a help in getting us items like silverware, water and extra sauce and he was very pleasant. Menu was scaled down since the last time I was in. Food presentation and prep were off the mark, too. It just did not have the exceptional "wow factor" that we've been used to. Not sure if it was just that night or if it's a trend now but I want my old Winds back! Am hoping this was just an anomaly. ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening Out with FriendsLoriDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I have dined at Winds Café several times. This time we brought along another couple that had never dined there before. The food was delicious as always and Austin was an excellent and knowledgeable waiter. Our friends were very happy with their first time there and would love to return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.