215 Xenia Avenue
Yellow Springs, OH 45387Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.windscafe.com/
- Phone: (937) 767-1144
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am -3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kim Korkan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small intimate private dining room that accommodates up to 30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Mary Kay Smith 937-767-1144
A word from Winds Café
Winds Café is located in the small, progressive town of Yellow Springs. Visitors enjoy independent and artisan shops, riding along the bike path, hiking in Glen Helen and John Bryan State Park, music or performing arts venues and independent art films at Little Art Theater. The food is European inspired with an American twist and uses as many local ingredients as Chef Kim can find. The menu and wines change monthly to reflect the seasons, and no, you cannot have tomato on your sandwich in February. Winds Café tries to find organic producers whose methods are humane, ethical and environmentally friendly. The restaurant is committed to keeping prices affordable and the quality of the food high; and is also committed to providing excellent, informed service in a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere. In a sprawling sea of chain restaurants, Winds offers food and wine that is accessible and adventurous providing gastronomic opportunities usually only found in larger cities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Winds Café - Best Restaurants in Yellow Springs ›
Winds Café reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (100)neighborhood gem (77)special occasion (75)notable wine list (60)great for outdoor dining (52)romantic (43)great for brunch (40)great for lunch (33)good for groups (20)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (8)scenic view (8)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- wormyDined on 11/14/2014Good food in nice setting with personable server. Included a nice selection of olives served at same time as breads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still stellarIfGoodWeWantSecondsDined on 11/8/2014We hadn't been back in a year or two. Still good. Still lively. Still eclectic. Apparently placing more emphasis on small plates. Menu seems a bit smaller overall. Each entree had its own special twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I brought my foodie fiance to the Winds Cafe for the first time this weekend, and he LOVED it. It's been my favorite restaurant for years, after growing up in the largely-unremarkable food scene of Dayton, OH. This gem set it lovely Yellow Springs features awesome seasonal (usually local) ingredients in interesting ways, and the restaurant itself has a great atmosphere. The wait staff is so knowledgeable; our waiter helped my fiance to perfectly pair a glass of wine with his entree, and was so respectful and timely in serving our meal and checking in with us. A perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- Brought some friendsMookie55Dined on 11/1/2014We brought another couple with us to hike the area and enjoy a nice meal at The Winds. It was a great meal, great service. We all really enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Loved the menu- lots of interesting choices. Great local craft beers, upscale cocktails! Two of our food choices however, not quite as yummy as usual. Love the fresh baked bread! Salads can't be equaled.Special Features:
- Exceeded Our Expectations!TheConservativeFoodieDined on 10/31/2014We always reserve the Winds Cafe for special occasions. Friday night was just such an occasion. A friend who used to live in the area (a dozen years ago) and for whom the Winds Cafe was her favorite restaurant returned for a whirlwind weekend from California. As we walked to our table, I asked her 'Does it seem the same?' She said 'Yes, and I love it!' Dinner was incredibly delicious. Our waiter Austin was terrific. Thank you for a great evening.Special Features:
- Bistro Dinner was fabjoedvaDined on 10/28/2014Enjoyed the bistro dinner of house salad, catalan stew, and apple carmel bread pudding. Prosecco was a also a delight.Special Features:
- LOVED ITOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/26/2014We always enjoy brunch at Winds Cafe. The food, service and atmosphere are top notch! Some portions appear to be getting smaller, but the quality is second to none. HIGHLY recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local experienceTug2202Dined on 10/25/2014Our every request was greeted with a smile and "of course". Food was very interesting, well presented and very tasty (we had several small plates). It's been a while since our last visit and it was great to experience this Midwest gem again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- G137Dined on 10/25/2014Love Winds Cafe...food was very good. Service was the same, except the waitress tried to remove my dinner plate and I was still eating. Wish it was closer so we could visit more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Pork Shank & Polenta!!!!MsElaineousDined on 10/25/2014We were celebrating our 34th anniversary after hiking at John Bryant State Park for several hours, and arrived almost an hour early. We sat in the bar, getting a lovely mixed drink and wine. The bar wasn't busy yet, so we had time to sit and talk a bit before going to our table by the window. We both had wonderful meals that we talked about all the way home. I got the Pork Shank & Polenta, that was absolutely perfection. You simply must try it to believe. The waiters were friendly and knowledgeable. The bartender (male) was very personable and easy to talk to. We agreed that we will make this a monthly visit from now on. We have found our little gem of a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyone!FoodiemomDined on 10/25/2014We just returned from a trip to New England and found just as good if not better right here in Ohio! Winds is always included in our trips to Yellow Springs whether for a relaxed lunch, celebratory dinner or a whole family group( ages 2 to 62!), we love it! They always have something for my vegetarian daughter and my no-carb husband which makes it even better. Of course that always includes a trip next door afterwards for a couple of bottles of wine to take home and a container of Jeni's yummy ice cream.Special Features:
- The Winds in Yellow SpringsOHnFLADined on 10/23/2014Interesting food expertly prepared in a small,l funky town. Strong bar with choice not usually seen in the area. SW Ohio gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CabinFeverCabinFeverDined on 10/23/2014Thanks for accomodating my group in the bar area. Very good food, nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Winds Never Disappoints!sosparklyDined on 10/17/2014We've been fans of the Winds for many years, and we are never disappointed by the deliciously prepared, organic and locally sourced entrees and appetizers, and the excellent service.Special Features:
- Great Food and WineindyDined on 10/16/2014The food and atmosphere is excellent. The grilled garlic appetizer was the best I have had anywhere. Best place to eat in Yellow Springs.Special Features:
- Mark0Dined on 10/11/2014We went to The Winds 3 times since we have visited yellow springs. Always fabulous. My two criticisms are it's very loud and could have a little more variety. otherwise the food and service has always been spectacular!!!Special Features:
- Great food super brightR2diningratingsVIPDined on 10/11/2014We have eaten many times at this restaurant. We have had issues with it running out of entrees on more than one occasion with one time where more than 50% of the entrees were gone. We stayed away for some time. This trip they had all the entrees and the food was delicious. The lights in the restaurant were very bright and took away from the ambiance. Recommend turning down the lights.Special Features:
- Winds at the Street FairGaryjDined on 10/11/2014This is a great restaurant in Yellow Springs that uses the best in-season ingredients, changes its menu several times a year to make use of the best in-season ingredients, and turns out a high-quality product. I recommend The Winds Café wholeheartedly!Special Features:
- Fabulous food at reasonable pricesLouisvilleRandyDined on 10/8/2014First time back to Wind's in several years, and even better than previous visits. The menu is not terribly broad, but there should be something for everyone. My wife is vegan, and they were able to accommodate her needs without any difficulties. The service was appropriately attentive despite the busy dining room that night. Home to Wind's was a 2.5 hour drive, and we weren't disappointed in the least.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie TwotwofoodiesDined on 10/4/2014Our Wind’s dining experience on a Saturday evening was quite good. My wife had a delicious bowl of black bean Chile; and a Swedish meatball meal with a fresh tomatoes sauce. Tasty root beer. I had the bowl of black bean soup, then, their beef steak which I enjoyed very much. I asked and was told the cut of meat was sirloin. It was grilled medium well on both sides allowing many tender and delightful bites with a top crusted horseradish sauce all sitting on a bed of arugula greens that had been creamed, plus fresh green and yellow beans andante’. I thought the meal was a really nice blend of tasty flavors. Good bread selection with a dish of fine olives, and my wine was an acceptable Shiraz blend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winds Cafe excelsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014We've been regulars (3-4 times a year) at the Winds since it opened. It just keeps getting better. The food and wine are always excellent; the service is superb in an understated but helpful way. The two-month menu follows the seasons and assures local produce and appropriate choices. Wine is reasonably priced and well described. Small groups (6 and under) work best in this small, intimate but sometimes a bit noisy restaurant. It's always a pleasure.Special Features:
- mynicknameVIPDined on 10/1/2014The halibut was not as good as I expected. The pumpkin squash lasagna was great1Special Features:
- visited The Winds againgardengoddess42Dined on 9/28/2014We haven't been to The Winds for quite some time. A friend's visit and review reminded us how much we have enjoyed visits in the past. We were there for a late lunch; since it was a Sunday that meant brunch. And since we were there late (2 pm) several things were already off the menu. We enjoyed what we had (a version of beans and rice, and a Croque Monsieur sandwich) and are planning another visit soon for dinner. The day was warm, we sat outside. Nice patio area. A few wasps were around, not unexpected at this time of year, and they disturbed another table who moved indoors. We stayed put.Special Features:
- Brunch at WindsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014Love this place usually, today must have been an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Winds Café was damn good. The wine list was impressive. The Limoncello Shrimp was awesome, the shrimp were nice and plump. I had the Pork Shank Redemption v. 2 and my wife had the Pumpkin Squash Lasagna. Both entrées were beyond exceptional. The apple chutney on top of the shank complimented the pork and risotto quite well. The green beans that encircled the shank were interesting because they had a bit of a bite to them, which I enjoyed thoroughly. My wife's lasagna made your heart melt. The pumpkin squash mixture in it was divine. Never have I had such a tasty pumpkin squash lasagna, let alone know that it existed. For dessert we had this plum dish. I forget the name, all I remember is that it was the perfect end to a perfect meal.Special Features:
- Winds is still as great as ever!CKSeatsDined on 9/21/2014Whenever we get up to Yellow Springs, we always try to eat at Winds. They are a cut above in every way. The food is always delicious, creative and healthy. This time we had a gift certificate. They let us put our tip on the gift certificate, so the meal cost us absolutely nothing! There was money leftover we can use another time. This restaurant is one of the things that makes Yellow Springs so special!Special Features:
- Fabulous except for the bees!hockeyangelDined on 9/21/2014This is my 2nd time at the Winds Cafe, food was fabulous, ambiance is wonderful, waiter was very personable! We sat outside and we're bombarded by bees this time. So much so, we were using our water glasses to squash them as they landed on our plates, and trapping them in the syrup containers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service EVERnotafanDined on 9/20/2014Early dinner reservations, 5:15 for a birthday. Service was horrible, food selections very limited. Waited over an hour for food. Asked for more bread did not receive. Waiter was rude. Just overall very disappointing and we wont ever go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014Food was wonderful. Service... Not at all wonderful. Also..a tiny detail but indicative of our experience.... We asked for a candle in our dessert for our birthday girl... Not only did we not receive the candle but we got the wrong dessert. Will have to think hard before going back.Special Features:
- Fun timeSactoDined on 9/18/2014I take my parents to the Winds Cafe every time I visit them in Ohio. This time my sister from Florida joined us. The food was great as always and we enjoyed our time at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Good place but a little expensivereturnrollerDined on 9/13/2014This used to be 1 of our favorite places. But this is the first time we've been back there in years. And it still to be a good place. The food is gourmet and great. I think it is a little expensive for what you get, and I think the menu is a little limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsLongportDined on 9/13/2014Love the fall menu, at this charming restaurant. The squash and pumpkin lasagna is an annual favorite! The beet terrine, with goat cheese is not only beautiful, it is delicious. Even the mixed bread basket is always an exciting collection of unusual, house baked breads. I always wish I had room for dessert but, I just have to settle for reading the menu. You can not miss, with their monthly changing, seasonal menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The nicest place in a unique townMacktheKnifeDined on 9/12/2014Along with many others we know, my wife and I love Yellow Springs. We had been looking for chance to dine at the Winds, and our anniversary (let's just say for the sake of demographic identification that it is between our 30th and 35th) seemed a good time. We had a memorable meal with excellent food and service. My steak was unique and delicious. Perhaps it was just something with the clientele that particular evening, but the noise level was a little more than I expected as such a fine place. In spite of that, we will be sure to return, and I would recommend The Winds Café as an excellent dining experience that was well worth the price.Special Features:
- food great, service poorluvyellowspringsDined on 9/10/2014On our 1yr anniv. Took 20 minutes before we my 1st glass of wine and my husbands beer arrived.We had finished the carafe of water before our drinks arrived. But when we were out or low on our beer and wine, he walked by but didn't ask if we would like another drink, so we had to flagged someone down to order another drink. When we were finished with our meal another gal came to remove plates which was fine, but she started to take my wine glass away too, which was not all the way empty. Food was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodJPB1Dined on 9/9/2014After many dinners at Winds, I can say that it is always an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- The WindsDisappointedDined on 9/7/2014I have dined at The Winds for many years and have alway had a good experience. When I was there on 9/7/14 we were seated in a corner and seems we were forgotton. All I wanted was some water While waiting for our meals. The manager on duty told us his problems (not my problem) with lack of workers that day. The food was very mediocore - not the quality I have prevously experienced. I had brought someone with me who had never dined at The Winds and had raved about how good it was. I was so wrong!
- A Gem in Yellow SpringsDianeVIPDined on 9/6/2014I only get to Yellow Springs, OH once every couple years for a yoga weekend, but this is always a *must* for Saturday evening dinner. Beautiful place, delicious and creative food, impressive wine and drink selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dinnerEagleDJCDined on 8/29/2014The menu is different every time I go and the choices are always very appealing. The salmon was wonderful and the fig tart for dessert was awesome. It is a "go to" spot for us on special occasions and worth the drive.Special Features:
- Always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014I can always count the ambience, good food and service of The Winds Cafe so I regularly suggest it to friends with whom I meet in a Yellow Springs.Special Features: