2454 Wilshire Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 90404Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wilshirerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3105861707x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar Menu: Monday -Saturday 5:00pm - 12:00am
Happy Hour: Monday-Saturday 5:00pm-7:00pm
Lunch: Monday - 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Wilshire
Designer Thomas Schoos created a warm distinctive ambiance while taking advantage of the unique spaces on the property. Each room makes an individual statement retaining the “old world” character of this historic space or capturing a more modern sensibility. The main dining room features plush leather banquettes and antique mirrors enhanced by candlelight while the indoor bar has coffered ceilings, club chairs and a softly lit amber bar. The spacious outdoor garden, bar and private terrace are surrounded by rich chocolate stucco walls accented with fireplaces and water features. The dining area seats 100 and the terrace may inspire an indulgent dessert or a fine Cognac nightcap.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Wilshire - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Wilshire reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (33)romantic (20)fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (15)great for lunch (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (6)good for groups (6)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- foodieofamericaDined on 9/27/2014Beautiful outside and delicious food! Very romantic we loved the chicken with the apple and walnut stuffing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyeaterDined on 9/20/2014We have been to Wilshire many times and enjoyed it each time.Special Features:
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014With all the" managerials" standing around and all of the bus people--you would think you could get good service. We did NOT. The food was delicious. But, the wait staff and Management really needs some training from the top down. This spot is six blocks from my house--I would like to love it, but cannot until they get a clue about fine dining.Special Features:
- DisappointingtravelbugDined on 9/5/2014I've been going to Wilshire for years. Business lunches, dinners and parties. I've always been happy with the food and service. I was disappointed recently for multiple reasons. We spent $100 per person which was for cocktails, salad, sides and two steak entrees. The cocktails were ok, nothing special. The caesar salad was bad (you can get a better caesar from Wolfgang Puck to go (fresher and tastier). The steak (we got both the hangar and filet) were cooked well, but were not hot. I like hot food hot, and cold food cold. The truffle fries were the bottom of the barrel. Just small pieces. Overall, just really disappointing from a culinary standpoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patiomalinatrDined on 8/29/2014Wilshire doesn't look like much from the street but has a very cool vibe upon entry. Then you walk back to the outdoor dining area and you know you came to the right place. We sat back by the back bar and really loved it. The food was very good all around...everything seemed to hit the mark. I now consider Wilshire to be on of my "go to" places when I want to impress friends.Special Features:
- HappyDined on 8/29/2014We had good service, good food and a leisurely lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great find!Marsee3VIPDined on 8/23/2014The food was fantastic . We had steak tartare- best ever !muscles- outstanding sauce and presentation Cod - yummy! Loved our service! We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmithVIPDined on 8/19/2014Food was good and patio was nice. But hat wasn't enough. A busboy broke a plate of someone food on my chair.Got a dirty wine glass, there was someone's gum under the table and we had to wait for a refill of wine to be chilled. All in all - nope.Special Features:
- Best outdoor dining in L.A.mitchVIPDined on 8/15/2014There is no outdoor place in L.A. that compares with Wilshire. The outdoors is perfectly lighted, devoid of street noise and without a poorly located table. and the food is superb with a wait staff that is casual and professional at the same time. A wonderful place to spend an evening.Special Features:
- Great spotVeteaDined on 8/15/2014Tasty and fine food, elegant setting, good service! The place turns into one of Santa Monica's trendiest night scenes after dinner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Menu does not change and there are not enuf specials to compensate for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely eveningSsrd512Dined on 8/14/2014the courtyard at Wilshire is the second most attractive quality. It is so lovely and pleasant. There are heat lamps if it gets chilly outside. The service is always consistent and dependable. The food is never less than excellent. If there is one criticism it is that they don't give you the prices of the specials when they announce them, which has resulted in some unpleasant check surprises. Live and learn - got to ask.Special Features:
- A lovely meal.beccatDined on 7/8/2014I met two very good friends for a celebration dinner at Wilshire. The food was excellent and the service very friendly. The outdoor patio is so nice on a warm summer evening. We had a great time. Elegant cocktails and great wine list too.Special Features:
- Lacking ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014Although the food at Wilshire is good, service was spotty at best. Add to that an attitude our waiter gave us throughout the meal, as if he was doing us a big favor to help with anything at all, and I doubt we will be returning soon. Also, they turn this place into a club at night, so for much of our meal the staff seemed more concerned with setting up bottle service for later than serving the restaurant patrons currently dining.
- Perfect Anniversaryseattlemom76Dined on 6/28/2014Our experience at Wilshire was beyond our expectations. We traveled to Santa Monica to celebrate our 15-year anniversary. Never having been to the area, I researched restaurants and Wilshire consistently rose to the top. I made reservations and noted we would be coming for our anniversary. From the moment we walked through the front doors, the team knew that we were there for a special occasion. They reserved the sweetest table for us - a two-top next to the fire pit / koi pond and under a lovely trellis. The manager personally came over with two glasses of champagne and thanked us for celebrating at Wilshire. The food was amazing, and after almost 3 hours, we finally rolled out of there. Absolutely charming and special evening!Special Features:
- FabulousluvgoodfoodVIPDined on 6/13/2014This was our first time to eat here and it was incredible. Eat outside. Ask for Beth to serve you. She was great! Truffle chips are a most!Special Features:
- Always nice!FooddudeVIPDined on 6/5/2014Lovely outdoor setting. Good food. They want this review to be at least fifty words. Now that's kind of silly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 953 reviews are from the Wilshire reviews archive.
- OutstandinggargantuaDined on 5/20/2014I had guest from France visiting and I decided to take my party to the Wilshire. It was the best decision I could have made. They were big fish lovers and the Black Cod really impressed their fine taste. The pudding was absolutely divine, and so was the wine. Food wise, it's an A across the board. Where this restaurant scored some big points, is with service. You can get some good food around Los Angeles, but exceptional service is pretty rare. Because my party was on the older side and didn't want to be outside, the staff placed us in a private dining area. This was very nice of the host. The waiter was funny, knowledgeable and made great suggestions (the pudding, GET THE PUDDING). I have been there before, and will continue coming back.Special Features:
- Still solidgcmoriVIPDined on 5/15/2014Wilshire Reataurant is a Santa Monkca classic, which does not disappoint. Nothing to inventive, but solid execution. Great lunch spot for meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast focus only even at 2:30pmSwampmuleDined on 5/11/2014I really enjoyed the Ambience of this restaurant but there are a few things that bothered me: They seated us at a table with crumbs all over the place mats... Then they blamed it on the fact that we were outside. But we weren't seated below open air we were in the box seating in the back that is completely covered so that made no sense. They accidentally handed us a full menu which led us to believe they had all their delicious items available but they later came around when we asked for a specific dish and said we were limited to the practically "egg-only" dishes on the prix fixe menu. There was something without egg, a seared tuna salad and a burger. Both were great. The area we sat was kinda dirty next to the fire pit, needs cleaning :DSpecial Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Have been here twice before for Mother's Day and had a wonderful time. This time the food was just OK, and the service left a lot to be desired. When I sat down my napkin was wet, asked for another, the replacement was not clean. Coffee not refilled without request. Water refilled after second request. Windy day meant small items from tree falling, down into drinks on the table, no offer to replace. Nothing terrible, but nothing great. We will pick another place next year.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014Excellent and attentive service . However two of the four white wines listed by the glass were not available which made no senseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurelCanyonGirlVIPDined on 4/26/2014This was our second experience at Wilshire - both times, the food and service were very good to excellent. The restaurant has a lovely, well-heated patio, as well as indoor dining, but the patio is the place to be in general. This is a great place to take friends without risking disappointment, a bit pricey but generally worth it and you can order a relatively simple meal or have a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- one of my Favorite place to eatItalyDined on 4/25/2014I enjoyed going to this restaurant It's just a wonderful experience the atmosphere is great I would recommend this place to anyone who's looking for food good service and atmosphere and fun and also a romantic eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Easter BrunchTinaDined on 4/20/2014(By the way, there's a typo on this survey - "Great for Bunch" Should be Great for Brunch.) In any case, we enjoyed a delicious brunch, bottomless mimosa's were very good, and the service staff did not mind at all that we kept asking for more rounds. I enjoyed the most yummy Ahi tuna salad, my husband's burger made him sigh with delight, and my son enjoyed not only a very large portion of french toast, but the side of granola (home made) made his heart sing.Special Features:
- Is it a restaurant or a club?OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/19/2014We arrived at 7 pm and had a very nice dinner with friendly service, great food. By 9.30 pm when we left the place felt more like a club with loud music, bouncers, and obnoxious patrons.Special Features:
- I definitely impressed my1gardennurseDined on 4/5/2014I definitely impressed my date:-D The food was great as usual. The service even better, nicely paced. Never felt rushed, but never had to search for the server either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the sameFlorenceDined on 3/25/2014This once was a favorite place for great food & service, but no more. Service was so bad we were comp'ed a major part of the bill.Special Features:
- Lunch!PeterVIPDined on 3/21/2014There aren't many good places that still serve lunch. Wilshire does and does it really well. The seared Ahi tuna salad is spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambience!!!Islandgrl35Dined on 3/8/2014I love the outdoor patio especially at dinner time, its beautiful and romantic. Great service and yummy food (shrimp & grits)!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful time, ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/3/2014Had a wonderful time, ambience and food were great. Service was excellent . Would recommend for anyone looking for that special place or special occasion.Special Features:
- Great staffhealthy1VIPDined on 2/22/2014Our evening at Wilshire was quite delightful. The service was wonderful and friendly. We even had the privilege of the Manager Brianna come to our table often, making sure everything was fine. We were treated well from the hostess to the gentleman that escorted us to the parking lot. At 10:00 it turns into a very popular night club with lines out the door, making it difficult to exit. It becomes quite energetic at that time. Otherwise the outdoor area is a noise level where you can talk comfortably. A lovely evening! A special thank you to Brianna!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!lukeyb14Dined on 2/22/2014A little bit more "romantic" than what I was going for but...awesome place!! Definitely a great date night spot!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for Valentines day.EdwaldDined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentines day. First time. Seated immediately. Asked if we wanted a booth or table, inside or patio. Took a booth inside. Wait staff excellent. Brought our own wine. No problem. $20.00 corkage. Browsed the wine list anyway. Great choices. Was told thursday is 50% off on all wines. The food was delicious. Food brought at perfect intervals. Now the desert!! Can't decide whose was better. Flourless chocolate cake or pot du creme butterscotch . Both were memorable. Going back next week for my husbands birthday party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service breakdownEaterDined on 2/11/2014Took some friends from out of town to The Whilshire since I had good exp's in the past. The bacon/ farm egg salad was great, the crispy pork belly was good, not great. The is Osso Bucco, on the other hand, was over salted. Good, but salty. The breakdown was in our service. Not sure why but the server we had disappeared on us only to get his "brother" who was anything but related, who although nice, wasn't up to the task of the number of tables he had. Dined on a Tuesday night. Not overly crowded.Special Features:
- Architecturally and decorativelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2014Architecturally and decoratively very fine indeed. Food was heavy and dull (however, the dessert was heavy and yummy). Maybe the subs were in the kitchen the night we came.Special Features:
- Both the food and the waitBirdieDined on 1/24/2014Both the food and the wait staff were top notch! I will absolutely return and highly recommend The Wilshire to others. Cheers!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining Al Fresco in Santa MonicakrinDined on 1/23/2014Tucked off the busy main drag of Wilshire Boulevard lies Wilshire. The building that once housed by The Black Forest Inn has been transformed into an array of spaces. Past the bar, down the ramp alongside the indoor dining area, into the outdoor patio. I thought it would be cold. I thought it would be loud. I thought it would be pretentious. It was none of those. The space is beautiful, a delightful garden space. Heaters nearby. Unique dining spaces dot the perimeter. I barely noticed the other tables. The food was beautiful, every bite of it. Unique in their combination and construction. The cast of wonderful humans working there was delightful, authentic, and kind. I would go back here again and again. Can't wait.Special Features:
- A Dine LA Flopchicle97Dined on 1/21/2014This review is for my Dine LA experience ONLY. I've eaten at the Wilshire a couple other times in the past and had a pleasant experience and good food. The biggest problem I had at lunch was my server. I won't go into details, but her service made for an unbearable lunchtime experience. LIKES: Beef barley soup, chopped chicken salad, meatball sandwich. Both desserts were HEAVENLY (butterscotch pot de creme & flourless chocolate cake-and we had them to go!) DISLIKES: our waitress, the wait in between courses, the fact that 2 meatball and 2 salad choices were offered on courses 1 & 2 was very limiting, and we got ONE soda refill only because WE flagged down the guy bussing tables. At $4 a soda that's ridiculous!Special Features:
- Great patio poor service priceyJustinerlDined on 1/11/2014One if my fav restaurants however this time had poor service. Our drinks took 20 minutes and came after appetizers after asking twice and server completely forgot my husbands coffee. Since you're paying a lot - $60 per person not including tip even for my son as no kids menu kind of bad. And we did not order a bottle of wine. Ambiance is excellent as love the patio but do not think I will go back. Food was good this time but not amazing as they have changed the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.