1031 Abbot Kinney Blvd
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.williejane.com/
- Phone: (310) 392-2425
- Hours of Operation:
WEEKDAYS (TUE - FRI)
Happy Hour 4p - 7p drink
Dinner 6p - 10p (Fri 11p)
Saturday and Sunday Brunch 11a - 2:30p
Happy Hour 4p - 7p
Late Night HH 10p - close
Dinner 6p - 11p
Happy Hour 2:30p - 9p
Dinner 5p - 9p
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Govind Armstrong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: BROADWAY
- Public Transit: Big Blue Bus stops: Brooks/Main St., Abbot Kinney and Westminster, Abbot Kinney and Cadiz Ct.
Metro Bus stops: Venice Blvd and Abbot Kinney, Pacific Ave and Park Ct.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available behind the restaurant off Electric Ave. Street parking is also available and there are public lots in the area (the nearest one is at Pacific and Rose Ave).
A word from Willie Jane
Willie Jane is located on Abbot Kinney . Executive Chef Govind Armstrong's menu focuses on Low Country Coastal Southern cuisine. We offer a full selection of spirits with an emphasis on bourbon, southern inspired and garden-to-table cocktails.Continued
For reservations for parties of 8 or more, please contact the restaurant directly.
For reservations for parties of 8 or more, please contact the restaurant directly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Willie Jane reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)great for outdoor dining (48)fit for foodies (42)good for groups (32)great for brunch (27)romantic (22)special occasion (18)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (15)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Nouvelle meets Southern cookin'DinerevDined on 11/22/2014Excellent food with attention to appropriate nuanced flavoring. . Deviled eggs , kale salad and especially the fried chicken were excellent . Fun down'-home decor, plates and flatware were whimsical and pleasant. Music also notable adding to the Southern ambiance. There were a few nodes to vegetarian and Vegan diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amaze ballsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Had an awesome time there. Fried chicken and waffles hit the spot with every bite and the deviled eggs were so good to start with. Great staff. Just had a really nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food , bad serviceLildrinkDined on 11/2/2014Sat at the bar and was ignored for 20 minutes by the bartender who preferred to sing an out of tune rendition of Amy Winehouse "Trouble" . Never got a hello , a menu or I'll be with you shortly . The waitress when we sat seemed a little scattered but sweet, bussboys did good job of refilling waters and mimosas . Food was good and tasty though nothing exceptional , great flavors and well cooked . If it wasn't for the inhospitable crooning bartender I'd probably go back but I'll probably find better service elsewhere so why bother .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Great AtmospherePhePheDined on 11/2/2014Willie Jane took me back to brunch in Key West. Perfect setting - only things missing were the chickens and the ocean. The food was delicious and the portions were just right. The wait staff was attentive and very friendly. I love the location and the ambiance. I live in Las Vegas but I will always find my way to Willie Jane when I'm in L.A.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!KyleDined on 10/26/2014Sat outside on the neat patio for brunch last Sunday. Great ambiance and great for groups of friends or familyl. The cocktails are really, really good. Be sure to order the fried chicken - it was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeatriceDined on 10/24/2014As a "picky French" I can tell this restaurant has an awesome Chef. The taste of the food is so good ; fish tastes like fish potatoes taste potatoes for example. The Chef is also very creative from the cocktails through the desserts ; he successfully cooks a sort of fusion of south/west/east America. Don't pass the desserts, they are also awesome !Special Features:
- Unexpected GemPrice4FoodDined on 10/24/2014I somewhat randomly chose this restaurant based on its proximity to where we were staying. Wow, what an unexpected pleasure! The menu offers something for everyone with some down home cookin. Portions were reasonable and the price was as well. Definitely a place I would return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New placeRickDined on 10/24/2014This a great local find. Fair prices and good sized portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not2pickynot2pickyVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food was tasty, the ambience is super cute, but the service from the bar was extremely slow. The resturaunt wasn't very busy, but our cocktails took about 30 minutes to get to the table. Our "small plates" were on the table way before the cocktails arrived. We then ordered a bottle of wine and that seemed to take about the same amount of time to arrive. Our dinner was on the table, and our wine still hadn't arrived. We complained to the staff, no apology, but they did get the wine. So, maybe they were just having a bad night. The food was good. Fried chicken and waffles were yummy! I would go back and give it another try-Special Features:
- Friendly but slooooooooww servicepupl0verLAVIPDined on 10/22/2014They operate at turtle speed here- friendly turtles. Food was decent - especially the biscuits and fried chicken. It is a cleaned up Venice version of southern food. However, what was a casual dinner turned out to be 3 hours long. Drinks took 30-40 minutes!Special Features:
- decadentBethDined on 10/18/2014Yummmm! Do not go here if you are on a diet of any kind-- but if you are ready to indulge, you found your spot! Deviled eggs, fried chicken, brisket, mushroom bread pudding, mac and cheese, and glazed brussels sprouts were all delicious. I thought the deviled eggs and fried chicken were truly the stand-outs! We went with a group of 6 people so we could all share. It would have been very heavy to have an entire entree. Also, the desserts were insane! Concord grape cobbler w peanut buyer crust was like a glorious hot pb and j - and the dark chocolate brownie with bananas and nutella was perfectly chewy and amazing. They also had cool, interesting cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favoritephilly2laDined on 10/16/2014Took my parents who are visiting from Philly the other night and I don't think they've stopped raving about how amazing it was. The food and drinks were fantastic and the service was perfect. I really can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All 4 dishes were a knock outClaiborneDined on 10/16/2014We had the fried chicken and waffles which were amazing, the ox tail was perfect and the cornbread trout was super delicious. I'm sure everything on the menu tastes greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service and Overcooked FoodDineNFlyVIPDined on 9/26/2014After we were seated it took over 10 minutes to get the waiter to our table to take our drink order. There were 3 of us and one person got their meal 22 minutes before the other 2 quests and the chicken was over fried.
- Pleasant but InattentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014First time here since they took over from the French bistro "Lilly's" that had been at this spot for ages. My wife and I sat at the bar for Happy Hour while we waited for our friends to join us for dinner. The drinks were delicious and the bartenders quite personable, but our experience at the bar set the tone for the entire evening. With a staff so pleasant and drink and food offerings quite good (get the brussel sprouts!) one is left to scratch one's head and ask the question, "Why is the service so awful?" Not sure. It looks like they're not understaffed so I don't think that's the issue but I could be wrong. The staff is slow to arrive and then disappears for ages. Again everyone quite nice, but they need to get their act together.Special Features:
- great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/24/2014went to dinner on a recommendation. had a party of 12 and the waitstaff were so nice and accommodating! we had a large, loud group of people, and we all had a great time. our waiter checked in on us frequently, but not frequently enough that it was annoying. with a party so large as ours, it was great to get as much attention as we did (with folks wanting drinks all at different times, etc). would definitely go back here with a large party!Special Features:
- ONE OF OUR FAVORITES!thisisitVIPDined on 9/23/2014My wife and I love willie Jane. We especially like to combine Happy Hour wine with a delicious meal; for me it's the Hanger Steak and for my wife, the fish. Service is top notch and the ambiance is both friendly and romantic.Special Features:
- From a southernerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/21/2014The brunch was absolutely divine. I lived in New Orleans for 6 years and am so happy to have found a place in my neighborhood where I can get proper Southern cooking! Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southern man get some good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Our waiter was from Kentucky which started out an evening with modern renditions of collard greens, grits and other southern dishes. The deviled eggs were outstanding as was the grilled octopus special. Cat fish and trout were outstanding.Special Features:
- ExcellentWidebaseDined on 9/12/2014Everything about this restaurant is fabulous: We especially loved the Octopus Burrata special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average, at bestDH90291VIPDined on 8/30/2014A southern food centric place shouldn't have dry corn bread, bland cheese grits, fatty, dry tasteless ribs and lackluster peach cobbler... I recommended it to several friends who wanted to come to dinner on AK from other parts of the city and we failed. Maybe the space is cursed as nothing has worked there.
- Southern charmlasraliasDined on 8/30/2014Reminded me of a New Orleans garden atmosphere; inventive cocktails; loved the buttermilk biscuits with orange honey butter; the bbq ribs were outstanding!Special Features:
- Loyal customer . . .time2eatDined on 8/24/2014I have been dining at Mr. Johnson's restaurants since his days in NY at The Cellar, Memphis and Gulf Coast. The last was years ago at Georgia's in LA. Now Willie Jane in Venice. The experience did not disappoint. The staff was friendly and attentive. The food was delicious with unique flavors. A traditional plate of waffles and chicken was made all the more interesting and flavorful with a tangy, spicy cole slaw like garnish. Beverages served in mason jars were refreshing. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good place for southern appetites..tylerpiDined on 8/23/2014Loved it, got my Shrimp and Grits and felt great for hours afterwards....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good. Service badTRBJRDined on 8/21/2014We, a party of 4, went there around 8:30 pm to eat so it wasn't crowded at all. I'm not sure why, but the service was very bad considering that it wasn't busy at all. Our appetizers took 30 minutes to get, one of us ordered a second drink that took 20 minutes to get. Everything was just off it seemed. The food was good though.
- Great food, great ambianceMsMarinadelReyDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I brought guests from out of the country who had never tasted Southern-style food, and they (and we) loved the whole experience. Each of our guests ordered a different plate and they shared. Not a crumb was left!! We sat on the outside patio, which was really lovely on the pleasant summer night. A definite recommend!!Special Features:
- MissyDined on 8/16/2014I took a friend for dinner to celebrate her birthday. It is a cozy restaurant. We sat in the patio, which was very nice. We ordered beef brisket with collard greens, cheese grits and biscuits. The greens were delicious, the beef brisket was tender, delicious and served with a tasty, light gravy/sauce. The cheese grits could have been cooked longer and the biscuit was dry. We had a scrumptious dessert - a brownie served with ice cream and chocolate-covered peanut butter balls (which you will love if you like peanut butter). We also had an after dinner aperitif (Cat Daddy's Moonshine) which was soooo good and a lovely way to end our meal. Overall, we enjoyed our meal and will definitely go to Willie Jane's again.Special Features:
- Good Southern FixEatAlotDined on 8/15/2014Bourbon drink was very good but margarita was not. Sometimes bartenders get so fancy they mess up a good drink! Deviled eggs were the best ever. Biscuits & butter delicious. Felt like server was rushing us when we wanted a slower paced Friday night dinner. Catfish was huge portion & very spicy. Ask for extra sauce! Fried chicken & Mac n cheese very good. Wishing they had a potatoe option for a side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply outstandingmattVIPDined on 8/14/2014By far now one of my favorite hotels on the westside. Everything we had was outstanding form the shrimp and grits to the fried chicken, Mac and cheese. We had 5 dishes and they were all amazing. Our server Britney was outstanding very easy to talk too and obviously loves working there. Then ther is the manager Britney who knows what she is doing, great customer service and you can tell she loves her job and employees. I will be back for sure and will recommend this restaurant more then any I have in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California Soul Food?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/10/2014Food was good although not a lot of "soul food"- the problem was sitting in the outside area which is not spacious and was too noisy with a rowdy large group in one large table, and a baby in another. Also the service was slow- brought food at different times so we couldn't start together as food was getting cold.Special Features:
- Outstanding BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/9/2014Delicious vegan crab benedict, wonderful brunch with friends and bottomless mimosas! Brunch perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/3/2014The food was great with an interesting menu. While our food was slightly slow getting out, our waitress was very attentive so we didn't mind too much.Special Features:
- SpicyCJ21Dined on 8/1/2014Cool patio and great drinks. However, several of the sides had jalapeños and jalapeños were never noted by the server or on the menu. The fried chicken was great - though peppery.Special Features:
- Great placeeddiespaghettiVIPDined on 8/1/2014Terrific food & excellent service. It is truly a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Wonderful!winendineDined on 7/30/2014Willie Jane offers a great selection for all foodies. The ambience, service and experience was excellent. Definitely a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- The following 200 reviews are from the Willie Jane reviews archive.
- An outstanding placeeddiespaghettiVIPDined on 7/25/2014What a fantastic restaurant! We have already booked a table for a few days afterwards.Special Features:
- jimbeau43jimbeau43Dined on 7/20/2014My third time at Willie Jane and each time has been increasingly disappointing. The biscuit and honey butter was a good opener but everything was downhill after that. The rib eye steak was tough, the Hopping John was just bland with no kind of seasoning, and the greens did not have that smoky, meat flavor that comes from being thoroughly cooked the Southern way with ham hocks or salty pork. The waiter was friendly enough but kept forgetting that I needed no-calorie sweetner for my iced tea. Overall, I could not rate this dinning experience above simply "fair."Special Features:
- Great food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014Came here for lunch and while the food was delicious, the service left much to be desired. The waiter was friendly, but I had to flag him down to take our drink order and even then it took 20 minutes to receive our drinks (we aren't hard to please- take your time bringing our food as long as we have cocktails in hand). Our waiter (and half of the staff it seemed) was dealing with another table and, while I understand that difficult customers take an extra effort, neglecting others should not happen. We had no complaints about our entrees but were informed the kitchen was closed when we tried to order dessert. It would've been nice for the waiter to inform us of this and ask for orders ahead of time. Hope to have better service next time.Special Features:
- Enjoyed BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2014Outstanding customer service. Clarence was wonderful! Enjoyed the soft shell crab and nice ambiance in the patio.Special Features:
- Fab FoodlisakDined on 7/19/2014The food was wonderful. We had the deviled eggs, the hanger steak tartar and the peach burrata salad to start. Everything was wonderfully balanced. The for our mains had the fried chicken and the brisket. Heavenly! Had the Salt cocktail -- so good and refreshing with a kick. Can't wait to go back and try other items on the menu. Noise gets a bit loud, but not enough to put you off the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.