1031 Abbot Kinney Blvd
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.williejane.com/
- Phone: 3103922425x
- Hours of Operation:
WEEKDAYS (TUE - FRI)
Happy Hour 4p - 7p drink
Dinner 6p - 10p (Fri 11p)
Saturday and Sunday Brunch 11a - 2:30p
Happy Hour 4p - 7p
Late Night HH 10p - close
Dinner 6p - 11p
Happy Hour 2:30p - 9p
Dinner 5p - 9p
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Govind Armstrong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: BROADWAY
- Public Transit: Big Blue Bus stops: Brooks/Main St., Abbot Kinney and Westminster, Abbot Kinney and Cadiz Ct.
Metro Bus stops: Venice Blvd and Abbot Kinney, Pacific Ave and Park Ct.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available behind the restaurant off Electric Ave. Street parking is also available and there are public lots in the area (the nearest one is at Pacific and Rose Ave).
A word from Willie Jane
Willie Jane is located on Abbot Kinney . Executive Chef Govind Armstrong's menu focuses on Low Country Coastal Southern cuisine. We offer a full selection of spirits with an emphasis on bourbon, southern inspired and garden-to-table cocktails.Continued
For reservations for parties of 8 or more, please contact the restaurant directly.
For reservations for parties of 8 or more, please contact the restaurant directly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Willie Jane reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (63)neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (44)good for groups (37)great for brunch (31)romantic (27)special occasion (27)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (13)great for lunch (11)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (2)Show More
- New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Took my parents who are visiting from Philly the other night and I don't think they've stopped raving about how amazing it was. The food and drinks were fantastic and the service was perfect. I really can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All 4 dishes were a knock outClaiborneDined on 10/16/2014We had the fried chicken and waffles which were amazing, the ox tail was perfect and the cornbread trout was super delicious. I'm sure everything on the menu tastes greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service and Overcooked FoodDineNFlyVIPDined on 9/26/2014After we were seated it took over 10 minutes to get the waiter to our table to take our drink order. There were 3 of us and one person got their meal 22 minutes before the other 2 quests and the chicken was over fried.
- Pleasant but InattentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014First time here since they took over from the French bistro "Lilly's" that had been at this spot for ages. My wife and I sat at the bar for Happy Hour while we waited for our friends to join us for dinner. The drinks were delicious and the bartenders quite personable, but our experience at the bar set the tone for the entire evening. With a staff so pleasant and drink and food offerings quite good (get the brussel sprouts!) one is left to scratch one's head and ask the question, "Why is the service so awful?" Not sure. It looks like they're not understaffed so I don't think that's the issue but I could be wrong. The staff is slow to arrive and then disappears for ages. Again everyone quite nice, but they need to get their act together.Special Features:
- great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/24/2014went to dinner on a recommendation. had a party of 12 and the waitstaff were so nice and accommodating! we had a large, loud group of people, and we all had a great time. our waiter checked in on us frequently, but not frequently enough that it was annoying. with a party so large as ours, it was great to get as much attention as we did (with folks wanting drinks all at different times, etc). would definitely go back here with a large party!Special Features:
- ONE OF OUR FAVORITES!thisisitVIPDined on 9/23/2014My wife and I love willie Jane. We especially like to combine Happy Hour wine with a delicious meal; for me it's the Hanger Steak and for my wife, the fish. Service is top notch and the ambiance is both friendly and romantic.Special Features:
- From a southernerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/21/2014The brunch was absolutely divine. I lived in New Orleans for 6 years and am so happy to have found a place in my neighborhood where I can get proper Southern cooking! Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southern man get some good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Our waiter was from Kentucky which started out an evening with modern renditions of collard greens, grits and other southern dishes. The deviled eggs were outstanding as was the grilled octopus special. Cat fish and trout were outstanding.Special Features:
- ExcellentWidebaseDined on 9/12/2014Everything about this restaurant is fabulous: We especially loved the Octopus Burrata special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average, at bestDH90291VIPDined on 8/30/2014A southern food centric place shouldn't have dry corn bread, bland cheese grits, fatty, dry tasteless ribs and lackluster peach cobbler... I recommended it to several friends who wanted to come to dinner on AK from other parts of the city and we failed. Maybe the space is cursed as nothing has worked there.
- Southern charmlasraliasDined on 8/30/2014Reminded me of a New Orleans garden atmosphere; inventive cocktails; loved the buttermilk biscuits with orange honey butter; the bbq ribs were outstanding!Special Features:
- Loyal customer . . .time2eatDined on 8/24/2014I have been dining at Mr. Johnson's restaurants since his days in NY at The Cellar, Memphis and Gulf Coast. The last was years ago at Georgia's in LA. Now Willie Jane in Venice. The experience did not disappoint. The staff was friendly and attentive. The food was delicious with unique flavors. A traditional plate of waffles and chicken was made all the more interesting and flavorful with a tangy, spicy cole slaw like garnish. Beverages served in mason jars were refreshing. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good place for southern appetites..tylerpiDined on 8/23/2014Loved it, got my Shrimp and Grits and felt great for hours afterwards....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good. Service badTRBJRDined on 8/21/2014We, a party of 4, went there around 8:30 pm to eat so it wasn't crowded at all. I'm not sure why, but the service was very bad considering that it wasn't busy at all. Our appetizers took 30 minutes to get, one of us ordered a second drink that took 20 minutes to get. Everything was just off it seemed. The food was good though.
- Great food, great ambianceMsMarinadelReyDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I brought guests from out of the country who had never tasted Southern-style food, and they (and we) loved the whole experience. Each of our guests ordered a different plate and they shared. Not a crumb was left!! We sat on the outside patio, which was really lovely on the pleasant summer night. A definite recommend!!Special Features:
- MissyDined on 8/16/2014I took a friend for dinner to celebrate her birthday. It is a cozy restaurant. We sat in the patio, which was very nice. We ordered beef brisket with collard greens, cheese grits and biscuits. The greens were delicious, the beef brisket was tender, delicious and served with a tasty, light gravy/sauce. The cheese grits could have been cooked longer and the biscuit was dry. We had a scrumptious dessert - a brownie served with ice cream and chocolate-covered peanut butter balls (which you will love if you like peanut butter). We also had an after dinner aperitif (Cat Daddy's Moonshine) which was soooo good and a lovely way to end our meal. Overall, we enjoyed our meal and will definitely go to Willie Jane's again.Special Features:
- Good Southern FixEatAlotDined on 8/15/2014Bourbon drink was very good but margarita was not. Sometimes bartenders get so fancy they mess up a good drink! Deviled eggs were the best ever. Biscuits & butter delicious. Felt like server was rushing us when we wanted a slower paced Friday night dinner. Catfish was huge portion & very spicy. Ask for extra sauce! Fried chicken & Mac n cheese very good. Wishing they had a potatoe option for a side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply outstandingmattVIPDined on 8/14/2014By far now one of my favorite hotels on the westside. Everything we had was outstanding form the shrimp and grits to the fried chicken, Mac and cheese. We had 5 dishes and they were all amazing. Our server Britney was outstanding very easy to talk too and obviously loves working there. Then ther is the manager Britney who knows what she is doing, great customer service and you can tell she loves her job and employees. I will be back for sure and will recommend this restaurant more then any I have in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California Soul Food?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/10/2014Food was good although not a lot of "soul food"- the problem was sitting in the outside area which is not spacious and was too noisy with a rowdy large group in one large table, and a baby in another. Also the service was slow- brought food at different times so we couldn't start together as food was getting cold.Special Features:
- Outstanding BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/9/2014Delicious vegan crab benedict, wonderful brunch with friends and bottomless mimosas! Brunch perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014The food was great with an interesting menu. While our food was slightly slow getting out, our waitress was very attentive so we didn't mind too much.Special Features:
- SpicyCJ21Dined on 8/1/2014Cool patio and great drinks. However, several of the sides had jalapeños and jalapeños were never noted by the server or on the menu. The fried chicken was great - though peppery.Special Features:
- Great placeeddiespaghettiVIPDined on 8/1/2014Terrific food & excellent service. It is truly a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Wonderful!winendineDined on 7/30/2014Willie Jane offers a great selection for all foodies. The ambience, service and experience was excellent. Definitely a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- An outstanding placeeddiespaghettiVIPDined on 7/25/2014What a fantastic restaurant! We have already booked a table for a few days afterwards.Special Features:
- jimbeau43jimbeau43Dined on 7/20/2014My third time at Willie Jane and each time has been increasingly disappointing. The biscuit and honey butter was a good opener but everything was downhill after that. The rib eye steak was tough, the Hopping John was just bland with no kind of seasoning, and the greens did not have that smoky, meat flavor that comes from being thoroughly cooked the Southern way with ham hocks or salty pork. The waiter was friendly enough but kept forgetting that I needed no-calorie sweetner for my iced tea. Overall, I could not rate this dinning experience above simply "fair."Special Features:
- Great food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014Came here for lunch and while the food was delicious, the service left much to be desired. The waiter was friendly, but I had to flag him down to take our drink order and even then it took 20 minutes to receive our drinks (we aren't hard to please- take your time bringing our food as long as we have cocktails in hand). Our waiter (and half of the staff it seemed) was dealing with another table and, while I understand that difficult customers take an extra effort, neglecting others should not happen. We had no complaints about our entrees but were informed the kitchen was closed when we tried to order dessert. It would've been nice for the waiter to inform us of this and ask for orders ahead of time. Hope to have better service next time.Special Features:
- Enjoyed BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2014Outstanding customer service. Clarence was wonderful! Enjoyed the soft shell crab and nice ambiance in the patio.Special Features:
- Fab FoodlisakDined on 7/19/2014The food was wonderful. We had the deviled eggs, the hanger steak tartar and the peach burrata salad to start. Everything was wonderfully balanced. The for our mains had the fried chicken and the brisket. Heavenly! Had the Salt cocktail -- so good and refreshing with a kick. Can't wait to go back and try other items on the menu. Noise gets a bit loud, but not enough to put you off the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and Bar SceneWLVMomVIPDined on 7/19/2014Southern food truly elevated - and that is from a Southerner! Amazing specialty cocktail selection and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was excited...after dining at P &BFabfoodieDined on 7/18/2014Our entries came out before our appetizer. Had to send the brisket back. Was served all fatty pieces. The Mac and cheese very tasty but only warm not hot. Peach cobbler was kinda dry. Fried check was delicious. Potato salad amazing. Biscuits excellent. Maybe they were having an off night with service. Our waitress seemed like she didn't want to be thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok Southern Sytle FoodSMFoodieDined on 7/18/2014The best part about Willie Jane is the outdoor patio seating area. The inside was also very nice and the bar area looked very lively. The food, however, was just ok. We started with the biscuits which were very good, then had the cheese plate which my boyfriend and I both thought was only ok. I ordered the pork chop as my main dish. I don't know what was going on with it but it was the hardest thing to cut into, it was actually hurting my hand. I even tried two different knives. Perhaps it was overcooked, the flavor was pretty good but nothing spectacular and I ended up leaving half of it on my plate because it was just too much effort to cut anymore. My boyfriend ordered the brisket which was probably the best thing on the menu.Special Features:
- Go For the Bar NOT the FoodLaFoodieVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food is subpar. Had the biscuits and cornbread (both served lukewarm but seemed as though they would have been just okay hot - Gulfstream or Manhattan Beach Post's biscuits blows these guys away), friend chicken (two people at the table had this and both left at least 3/4 of it on the plate and didn't want it wrapped to go), fried catfish had the texture of chicken (I don't even know how they did this). The only saving grace was the cheese grits (which oddly had a heavy corn taste and included at least a few kernels in every bite) and the grilled shrimp (not great but compared to the other meats on the table, this was heavenly). The music is loud. It was clear to us that this is a place for drinks ot food.Special Features:
- DinerDined on 7/18/2014Sides and appetizers were better than main coursesSpecial Features:
- Great spotdonbrandoniDined on 7/15/2014Really tasty food, excellent service, and a fun ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014Great happy hour. Manager was wonderful and our waitress gave great food recommendations. Would love to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the atmosphere!2CrFerrariDined on 7/13/2014Food was great! Good customer service. We went for brunch I ordered the bottomless mimosa and Shrimp n' Grits and they had no problem substituting the bacon for chicken sausage. Delicious, I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Comfort at Willie JanePatriciaVIPDined on 7/13/2014Willie Jane is serving up Southern Comfort food with a twist...the new Fried Chicken Biscuit with Sausage Gravy is outstanding. I've been here twice for brunch and have not been disappointed. We looked at the new dinner menu and are going back to try it out soon. Put some South in your mouth and go to Willie Jane.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint country cooking with a twistKatandRichVIPDined on 7/13/2014Nice restaurant with bar and patio. Bottomless mimosas during Sunday brunch. Abbott Kenny is a modest stretch in Venice far from the crazy of the beach walk. Great stores. Chicken and Waffles and homemade hash. The staff was kind, conversational and busy! Go early or make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite brunch spotMissMeowingtonDined on 7/13/2014Servers are friendly and prompt and the food is very good. Bottomless mimosas are $15, which is great, because if you drink 3 you've already got your money's worth! Food isn't cheap, but then again it's Venice/Abbot Kinney - and it's not terribly overpriced like many places in Venice. You can get a nice brunch combo and bottomless mimosas for under $30 depending on the entree you pick. This place is a favorite brunch spot for my friends who live in Marina del Rey. I've been there a couple times myself and love it - I recommend this place to friends looking for a place to eat in Venice and I'll definitely be back myself! <3 you Willie Jane staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.