Willie G's - Denver
1585 Lawrence Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Willie G's - Denver
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.williegs.com/denver/index.asp
- Phone: (303) 575-9000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chris Meier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Willie G's - Denver
Known for serving fresh seafood specialties & recognized nationally as one of the top upscale seafood restaurants, Willie G’s is situated right on the 16th Street Mall in downtown Denver, in close proximity to the Performing Arts Complex, Convention Center & Pepsi Center. The extensive menu boasts such time-honored favorites as Oysters Rockefeller, Blackened Snapper Kathleen, Crab Cakes & the ultimate Fried or Broiled Seafood Platters. Willie G’s is also celebrated for perfectly prepared, tender & juicy steaks served in our signature style. Willie G’s offers a distinguished yet comfortable dining experience. Guests dine in a handsome atmosphere of rich, dark woods & granite, adorned with beautiful artwork & décor. For lunch or dinner, Willie G’s upscale cuisine, elegant atmosphere & superior service are always made to order. Join us for Happy Hour & $1 oysters or $4.50 for 1/2 doz and $9.00 for doz. Monday through Friday!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Willie G's - Denver - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Willie G's - Denver reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)special occasion (45)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (23)notable wine list (22)romantic (20)great for outdoor dining (18)great for lunch (17)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (13)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Server AttentionTravelerVIPDined on 11/24/2014My party and I sat at the bar to eat and found the server to be more inattentative than anything else. There were few other patrons in the bar area and, in my opinion, there were enough wait staff to give proper attention to everyone eating and drinking from the bar. Servers were brining bread to every other table, but I had to ask for some bread, which came midway through my dinner. Nice atmosphere, but service was less than desired.
- Sea Bass bites are fantastic!GwenVIPDined on 11/23/2014The Sea Bass bites as appetizers are fantastic as are the burgers in which they are known for! Service and food is always top notch. Location is right on the 16th street mall and has outdoor dining options right on the mall. Restaurant is also part of the Landrys chain. Will definitely be returning in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Willie G'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Easy to make reservation; was able to leave a note for the restaurant. Great service/Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Derek and the Ahi tuna made all of the difference!FitforFoodieVIPDined on 11/22/2014As a long-time Denverite, I don't usually chose the 16th Street Mall as a dinner destination. Willie G.'s was an exception. The restaurant is large but not too busy (read, not too noisy). We were warmly welcomed and seated where we had requested (in the quietest part of the restaurant). Our waiter -- Derek -- made all of the difference! We asked questions about menu items and he answered honestly. He recommended the Oyster Bar Trash (?) as our appetizer, and it was delicious. He also recommended the ahi, included how well-done it should be (not very). It was excellent. He, plus our dinner selections, would be our reasons for returning to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Willie G'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2014The food was pretty good and the service was fair. We had a new waiter and he did his best. The Arctic Char was well prepared. I had asked for no butter or oils and they accommodated perfectly. The biggest turn off was the hostess. This young lady could not have been more rude and seemed to be put out with people even coming in the door. Her greeting almost made us leave. Then when she sat us she attempted to cram us in between to very close tables with a look on her face like "I know this is bad but I am enjoying it". She has to go.....She alone is the reason for my two star rating.
- Pre-theater dining stopCurlysueDined on 11/18/2014This pre-theater dinner stop was convenient to walking from DCPA and facing the hustle bustle of 16th street. The first thing you notice is the lovely design and lighting. Elegant and the bar was abuzz with people and happy hour specials. The noise was very subdued. Our waiter, Daniel, accommodated our choices with subtle changes. He was very low-key and helpful. Soft guitar music played beginning at 6 or 6:30. Just how we like it. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!!!JustMeVIPDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I had been there in the past and it was really good but this time we and to either ask or wait longer for everything. We had to ask for bread and butter, they mixed up our orders with another table so my wife received her meal but I had to wait for mine, and I ordered the Blackened Shrimp Fettuccini and the shrimp had a great flavor but the fettuccini was cold, gummy and tasteless. The kitchen definitely needs a long lesson on how to make fettuccini and how to get it out the door in a relatively short period of time.
- Great Happy Hour SpecialsMaximillian00VIPDined on 11/7/2014We got there at happy hour and they had some great deals on did and drinks. We skeptically tried the fried brussel sprouts with siracha-mint sauce and were very pleasantly surprised. The artichoke and spinach dip was really good as well. My wife had the filet mignon and our was so tender and delicious. I had the buffalo sirloin which was a first for me and it was very good. Service was very good, very attentive staff. Some of the bar patrons are a bit loud, but it was happy hour so it was par for the course. The only odd thing that night was when they brought my bill I was told that the price of the buffalo sirloin special was ringing in wrong on the receipt so they added a $1 side item charge to make up the difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/5/2014My wife and I visited Willie G's for the first time last Tuesday evening. My initial reaction was that it was a very good atmosphere. When I got to the wine list and menu I was dissappointed. The wine list was both limited in terms of quality and way overpriced. For instance, Meomi pinot noir is a favorite. It cost $23 at the wine store and about $40 at comparable places but here it was over $60, a big rip off... The quality of the food was good, if expensive, but it took forwever to arrive. The 'in your face' waiter kept blaming everyone else (the kitchen, the people delivering the plates, his fellow waiters, etc), a real amature. This was or first and last time...
- nice restaurantdeanearDined on 11/2/2014Quiet bronco game was on. Prime rib abit salty. Husbands steak to rare for (med) it was more rare. otherwise love it hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just ok and service okLebronVIPDined on 11/1/2014None of the food came out hot. Our waiter was running around all the time so i dont know if they are short staffed or what but i probably would not go back because the food was average.
- Outstanding, as always!AudeoVIPDined on 10/27/2014What more can I say? I have only one regret: I can't have lunch there again today, because I am back in Dallas! Fantastic food, wonderful menu, outstanding service. Thank you!Special Features:
- Nothing specialJCasterDined on 10/25/2014Food was good, but not great - service was fine, but not outstanding.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014We were sat in a very comfortable booth. Service was excellent and attentive. The food and drinks were very good. Loved the flavor of the steaks. Would return again. Do not know the name of the waiter, but he was asian, and very polite and answered all questions helpfully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBrenEdVIPDined on 10/20/2014Service was polite, but very slow. Food to table was painfully slow and the server kept apologizing. We had to finally ask for bread. Gumbo broth was terrible and runny. The chef must have failed roux! My husband's fried shrimp was hot but my snapper plate was cold and fairly unappetizing. We won't go back.
- Excellent Food....Nice AtmosphereTomasVIPDined on 10/20/2014Visited on a business trip to Denver. Excellent. I had the shrimp platter and it was superb--a nice variety of shrimp cooked in different ways. My business associate had the rib eye and he said it was superb. Outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FaumuiFamVIPDined on 10/18/2014Took a while before someone waited on us. Waiter was very helpful in selecting appetizer n meals. I was suppose to have mashed potatoes. When they brought my food I had rice. Told waiter and he replied oh we ran out. I don't eat rice, wasn't informed of them running out. If I was informed I could of told them so maybe I could of got veg r something else in place. Didn't eat the rice so it went to waste.
- poor service, disappointedSarahVIPDined on 10/18/2014We were sat at a table by the door, which was chilly. We did not see a server for over 10 minutes after we sat down even though at least 10 employees passed our table. I finally said something to a server and he took our order even though he was not our server. When our server finally did show up with our drinks she did not acknowledge that she had did anything wrong and barely spoke to us. On top of that, our reservation was at 7:30 pm and they were out of crab legs- the main reason we chose to go there. I understand this if we were eating a leter dinner, but to run out of something that early int he night is frustrating. We were very disappointed with our experience and do not plan to return anytime soon.
- Great food and locationHungergamesDined on 10/14/2014I found this resturaunt by accident. But what a find food great ,atmosphere was perfect and service was impeccable. Also easy walking distance from hotels in the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good & ConsistentanniversaryVIPDined on 10/14/2014The menu changed and I was not as impressed with the changes, fewer choices in my opinion - but there is normally a special and it was VERY good. I wish they would make their gumbo like most places, it is a weird recipe and should be called something else.Special Features:
- Great ServiceBugeaterDined on 10/14/2014Waitress timed everything just right for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillyDined on 10/11/2014I was in town on a short weekend fun trip along with one othjer couple. We had been pout all day and had a late lunch. We had a 9:45 reservation for dinner at Willie G's. The service was excellent, we stayed and talked long after finishing our dinner. The wait staff was patient and the level of service did not decrease after closing time. The wait staff was very attentive of our needs all the way through coffee and desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experience!!penguinseatDined on 10/11/2014We found this place through OpenTable - the menu & reviews looked great. So, for our anniversary dinner, we went - and it was amazing. Our server was Chris - he was awesome - and the food was amazing. HIGHLY recommend the sea bass bites - they're delicious!!!
- Reheated foodseanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Reheated prime rib and a under cooked filet. Manager had quite an aditudeSpecial Features:
- Bit DisappointinguawolfVIPDined on 10/10/2014We thought we'd give Willie's a try in spite of friends suggesting against it. We are sad to say they were correct. The service was awesome, though! The food ... not so much. I ordered a shrimp gumbo ... kinda expected a gumbo. Got a shrimp broth w/ two shrimp floating in it and a bit of rice instead. Note to the chef, gumbo is "a soup thickened with okra pods or filé and containing meat or seafoods and usually vegetables". The shrimp platter was equally disappointing ... two split breaded shrimp, two bacon wrapped shrimp swimming in bottled BBQ sauce and a few broiled shrimp in an oily sauce. My spouse had the ahi ... but it was only partially sauced and, while cooked about right, didn't measure up overall. Probably not a revisit
- Anniversary eveningNancyDined on 10/10/2014Having mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary, the staff was especially attentive. We went early prior to going to a play, so the noise level was minimal. The Happy Hour menu was very good - we enjoyed the mussels, blackened fish tacos and ordered a second plate of the prime rib bruschetta after discovering how delicious it was! A very enjoyable visit with very reasonable prices at Happy Hour. We plan on coming back soon.Special Features:
- ChaserVIPDined on 10/10/2014Good food and service. Got us out in time for the symphony.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business CasualLanceGSKIDined on 10/8/2014A good place to have a meal with clients or co-workers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will the 3rd time be the charm?StellaDreet1Dined on 10/7/2014Months ago I came here for a luncheon meeting. Food OK - but 1 of the 4 of us had to wait for her meal until the other 3 were literally done eating. This time, another luncheon meeting. Apparently 2 servers had failed to show. Hostess did not make eye contact with anyone in line20 min. wait to be seated us, plus 45 min wait from order until we got food. Salmon entree was overly salty. Brussels sprouts were undercooked and very greasy with bacon. Salad with steak was good. We wanted to take the mgr. and the hostess to Starbucks corp HQ for fantastic training on how to greet people and make them feel at home - and deal with problems. Very disappointing overall. Our meal should have been comped. Gordon Ramsay: SOS!
- Nice DinnerKB1194VIPDined on 10/6/2014Good food, good prices, laid back/relaxing ambiance, wait for food was a bit long for the crowd but overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prepare to be stuffed...DenverjannetteDined on 10/6/2014This restaurant must use excessive amounts of butter and salt in their food prep. My husband and I had the sea bass bites as an appetizer and I had the spinach salad topped with crispy salmon fillet. I felt like I had eaten a loaf of bread and a 10 oz steak...gross. It's unfortunate. The food was tasty. But because I felt so aweful after I left I will probably never go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingConnieVIPDined on 10/4/2014We were disappointed in the meal and service. This restaurant would benefit from more attention to training of their staff who could not even get the orders to the right table, much less the right diner. Considering the many fine options for dining in this area of Denver, I would skip this place.
- Wish we'd made a different choiceJoAnnGDined on 10/4/2014No table ready. Arrived slightly late, not more than 15 minutes, and an early time slot. Set up at two two person tables pushed together in the back of the bar area, two had to sit on a bench, two in chairs. Made it less comfortable when sharing appetizers, etc. Not what we expected with a reservation. Celebrating two birthdays, said so in the reservation notes, never acknowledged by the restaurant. Waiter recommended a great appetizer, rest of meal was mediocre - Runny clam chowder, Steak and prime rib not cooked according to order, no one came back to check, guys ate them anyway. Never offered dessert or coffee, one diner asked for a box assumption was made we were finished. Expected better, especially at price point.
- Great After Work Gathering!M2M2VIPDined on 10/3/2014Really enjoy our date nights here for dinner! Great service and the food has not disappointed us yet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great the service.....travelgnomeDined on 9/22/2014The menu was great and our selections were excellent. We had steaks, tried them Oscar as recommended and were very pleased. As great as the food was, the service was a bit of a disappointment. On the Monday night we dined at Willie G's it seemed as though the number of anticipated patrons far exceeded the evenings staffing expectations. This seemed to send the wait staff into survival mode. While survival mode is expected for a sports bar, it both unexpected and a bit unnerving for a steakhouse. Would we try them again, yes the food was fantastic. Would I come without flag or flair to get service, probably not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a little slowMrDanVIPDined on 9/20/2014We've eaten here before. Food has always been good. For some reason, services was very slow, even though there were vacant tables.Special Features:
- Never disappointsSazarac89Dined on 9/12/2014I always make a point to have dinner at Willie G's when in Denver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour!SylviaVIPDined on 8/29/2014One of my favorite places to go for happy hour! The drinks are inexpensive and delicious, as are the happy hour apps! I definitely recommend for dinner as well, but it's a bit expensive. Love the patio on 16th street!Special Features:
- Annoying, booming musicSuzieVIPDined on 8/28/2014Music system badly tuned. Asked to fix or turn down. Refused.
- Susan1234Dined on 8/26/2014Decided to try the restaurant during restaurant week. Was a very pleasant experience and would definitely go back. Food and service were both great!Special Features: