Willie G's - Denver
1585 Lawrence Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Willie G's - Denver
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.williegs.com/denver/index.asp
- Phone: 3035759000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chris Meier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Willie G's - Denver
Known for serving fresh seafood specialties & recognized nationally as one of the top upscale seafood restaurants, Willie G’s is situated right on the 16th Street Mall in downtown Denver, in close proximity to the Performing Arts Complex, Convention Center & Pepsi Center. The extensive menu boasts such time-honored favorites as Oysters Rockefeller, Blackened Snapper Kathleen, Crab Cakes & the ultimate Fried or Broiled Seafood Platters. Willie G’s is also celebrated for perfectly prepared, tender & juicy steaks served in our signature style. Willie G’s offers a distinguished yet comfortable dining experience. Guests dine in a handsome atmosphere of rich, dark woods & granite, adorned with beautiful artwork & décor. For lunch or dinner, Willie G’s upscale cuisine, elegant atmosphere & superior service are always made to order. Join us for Happy Hour & $1 oysters or $4.50 for 1/2 doz and $9.00 for doz. Monday through Friday!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Willie G's - Denver - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Willie G's - Denver reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (47)fit for foodies (44)good for groups (32)notable wine list (20)great for lunch (20)great for outdoor dining (19)romantic (17)neighborhood gem (17)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Excellent Food....Nice AtmosphereTomasVIPDined on 10/20/2014Visited on a business trip to Denver. Excellent. I had the shrimp platter and it was superb--a nice variety of shrimp cooked in different ways. My business associate had the rib eye and he said it was superb. Outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service, disappointedSarahVIPDined on 10/18/2014We were sat at a table by the door, which was chilly. We did not see a server for over 10 minutes after we sat down even though at least 10 employees passed our table. I finally said something to a server and he took our order even though he was not our server. When our server finally did show up with our drinks she did not acknowledge that she had did anything wrong and barely spoke to us. On top of that, our reservation was at 7:30 pm and they were out of crab legs- the main reason we chose to go there. I understand this if we were eating a leter dinner, but to run out of something that early int he night is frustrating. We were very disappointed with our experience and do not plan to return anytime soon.
- Great food and locationHungergamesDined on 10/14/2014I found this resturaunt by accident. But what a find food great ,atmosphere was perfect and service was impeccable. Also easy walking distance from hotels in the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good & ConsistentanniversaryVIPDined on 10/14/2014The menu changed and I was not as impressed with the changes, fewer choices in my opinion - but there is normally a special and it was VERY good. I wish they would make their gumbo like most places, it is a weird recipe and should be called something else.Special Features:
- Great ServiceBugeaterDined on 10/14/2014Waitress timed everything just right for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillyDined on 10/11/2014I was in town on a short weekend fun trip along with one othjer couple. We had been pout all day and had a late lunch. We had a 9:45 reservation for dinner at Willie G's. The service was excellent, we stayed and talked long after finishing our dinner. The wait staff was patient and the level of service did not decrease after closing time. The wait staff was very attentive of our needs all the way through coffee and desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experience!!penguinseatDined on 10/11/2014We found this place through OpenTable - the menu & reviews looked great. So, for our anniversary dinner, we went - and it was amazing. Our server was Chris - he was awesome - and the food was amazing. HIGHLY recommend the sea bass bites - they're delicious!!!
- Reheated foodseanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Reheated prime rib and a under cooked filet. Manager had quite an aditudeSpecial Features:
- Bit DisappointinguawolfVIPDined on 10/10/2014We thought we'd give Willie's a try in spite of friends suggesting against it. We are sad to say they were correct. The service was awesome, though! The food ... not so much. I ordered a shrimp gumbo ... kinda expected a gumbo. Got a shrimp broth w/ two shrimp floating in it and a bit of rice instead. Note to the chef, gumbo is "a soup thickened with okra pods or filé and containing meat or seafoods and usually vegetables". The shrimp platter was equally disappointing ... two split breaded shrimp, two bacon wrapped shrimp swimming in bottled BBQ sauce and a few broiled shrimp in an oily sauce. My spouse had the ahi ... but it was only partially sauced and, while cooked about right, didn't measure up overall. Probably not a revisit
- ChaserDined on 10/10/2014Good food and service. Got us out in time for the symphony.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business CasualLanceGSKIDined on 10/8/2014A good place to have a meal with clients or co-workers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will the 3rd time be the charm?StellaDreet1Dined on 10/7/2014Months ago I came here for a luncheon meeting. Food OK - but 1 of the 4 of us had to wait for her meal until the other 3 were literally done eating. This time, another luncheon meeting. Apparently 2 servers had failed to show. Hostess did not make eye contact with anyone in line20 min. wait to be seated us, plus 45 min wait from order until we got food. Salmon entree was overly salty. Brussels sprouts were undercooked and very greasy with bacon. Salad with steak was good. We wanted to take the mgr. and the hostess to Starbucks corp HQ for fantastic training on how to greet people and make them feel at home - and deal with problems. Very disappointing overall. Our meal should have been comped. Gordon Ramsay: SOS!
- Nice DinnerKB1194VIPDined on 10/6/2014Good food, good prices, laid back/relaxing ambiance, wait for food was a bit long for the crowd but overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prepare to be stuffed...DenverjannetteDined on 10/6/2014This restaurant must use excessive amounts of butter and salt in their food prep. My husband and I had the sea bass bites as an appetizer and I had the spinach salad topped with crispy salmon fillet. I felt like I had eaten a loaf of bread and a 10 oz steak...gross. It's unfortunate. The food was tasty. But because I felt so aweful after I left I will probably never go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingConnieVIPDined on 10/4/2014We were disappointed in the meal and service. This restaurant would benefit from more attention to training of their staff who could not even get the orders to the right table, much less the right diner. Considering the many fine options for dining in this area of Denver, I would skip this place.
- Wish we'd made a different choiceJoAnnGDined on 10/4/2014No table ready. Arrived slightly late, not more than 15 minutes, and an early time slot. Set up at two two person tables pushed together in the back of the bar area, two had to sit on a bench, two in chairs. Made it less comfortable when sharing appetizers, etc. Not what we expected with a reservation. Celebrating two birthdays, said so in the reservation notes, never acknowledged by the restaurant. Waiter recommended a great appetizer, rest of meal was mediocre - Runny clam chowder, Steak and prime rib not cooked according to order, no one came back to check, guys ate them anyway. Never offered dessert or coffee, one diner asked for a box assumption was made we were finished. Expected better, especially at price point.
- Great After Work Gathering!M2M2VIPDined on 10/3/2014Really enjoy our date nights here for dinner! Great service and the food has not disappointed us yet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great the service.....travelgnomeDined on 9/22/2014The menu was great and our selections were excellent. We had steaks, tried them Oscar as recommended and were very pleased. As great as the food was, the service was a bit of a disappointment. On the Monday night we dined at Willie G's it seemed as though the number of anticipated patrons far exceeded the evenings staffing expectations. This seemed to send the wait staff into survival mode. While survival mode is expected for a sports bar, it both unexpected and a bit unnerving for a steakhouse. Would we try them again, yes the food was fantastic. Would I come without flag or flair to get service, probably not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a little slowMrDanVIPDined on 9/20/2014We've eaten here before. Food has always been good. For some reason, services was very slow, even though there were vacant tables.Special Features:
- Never disappointsSazarac89Dined on 9/12/2014I always make a point to have dinner at Willie G's when in Denver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour!SylviaDined on 8/29/2014One of my favorite places to go for happy hour! The drinks are inexpensive and delicious, as are the happy hour apps! I definitely recommend for dinner as well, but it's a bit expensive. Love the patio on 16th street!Special Features:
- Annoying, booming musicSuzieVIPDined on 8/28/2014Music system badly tuned. Asked to fix or turn down. Refused.
- Susan1234Dined on 8/26/2014Decided to try the restaurant during restaurant week. Was a very pleasant experience and would definitely go back. Food and service were both great!Special Features:
- Good food, fun atmosphereSteakguyDined on 8/16/2014Took my fiancé there for her 30th bday. The food was very good, the only thing I was not a fan of was the time between courses, it was about 20 minutes between every course including dessert. If you are crunched on time this is not the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Went there for our wedding anniversary. Took a while to get one drink then had to wait longer for the appetizer. Meal showed up way too soon after the appetizer. Ordered something to go and we were still waiting for it 15 minutes after we paid the check. The manager did comp us the drinks, the appetizer and the to-go order, but that still wasn't enough to make us want to go back there.
- Willie G's is GreatSamiDined on 8/16/2014I've always had great food here. I ordered the stuffed shrimp and my friends ordered the scallops and a snapper with shrimp. Everything was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Consistently good foodPowerLunchDined on 8/14/2014I went for a business lunch. Had the seafood trio salad and it was great! The service was very attentive without being obtrusive. I'd return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marginal at bestRestaurantCritic1Dined on 8/13/2014I showed up with a group of colleagues and every single one of us had an awful experience. The female hostess acted lost and when she got her manager he was absolutely rude. The servers were upset that we had to have separate checks on 4 top tables. The food took over an hour to come out of the kitchen and we waited 45 minutes before the server asked us for our orders. The bar was very fast with the drinks. The food came out and people who ordered steaks had them prepared to the wrong temperature and sent them back to be cooked longer. Others just ate what they had because it was over cooked. The scallop plate was a waste of money with four scallops. I had eaten on the patio the night before and the atmosphere was nice with music.Special Features:
- Service Set Back At Willie GsReviewsSteve290Dined on 8/13/2014Willie G's has been a "touchstone" place to go for several years for us. This past week they suffered a severe set back in level of Service. I hope this is just temporary. We were seated right away, but it was well over an hour before we received our food. Several items were not delivered, and there were charges on the tab for items we did not order, nor receive. Rest of guests there were suffering as well, on group walked out. Sincerely hope that this was just a one time anomaly.
- gungulaDined on 8/8/2014We arrived ontime, and were given a choice of Happy Hour seating or dining room, but had to ask for an explantion of the difference. The hostess seemed bored and a bit indifferent. However, once we were seated, Nic and the rest of the staff were very attenitive. My husband's steak was very tender, and the spinach salald with salmon was delicious. This was our second visit, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, fun PlacePeanutandAngelDined on 8/5/2014Went to Willie G's for the first time, Prime rib was Awesome. Shrimp dish was good -- Overall good. I would go again. Service was good, out of Kids Items ?? and Cheese Cake though :( The atmosphere was great fun, Patio to people watch, music was great !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ford was unique and amazing!YummyDined on 8/5/2014There were 4 of us and we all a different fish item. They were a Esther ally pleasing and cooked perfectly. When in Denver, we would come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service Bland FoodReneeVIPDined on 8/1/2014I ordered the filet and was greatly disappointed. When paying $28 for a steak, I expect it to be an awesome thick quality cut of meat. The steak I received was barely half an inch thick and had no seasonings on it. The veggies that accompanied it were overcooked and soggy and the mashed potatoes were bland. The service at this place was incredible and our server was such a sweetheart. We did not want to complain because everyone was so attentive! However, the tables around us stayed dirty much too long after other guests left. I really expected more from this place and was sadly very disappointed.
- Less than expectedslc16Dined on 8/1/2014Went for a birthday. My reservation was for 5 people but they only expected us to be a group of 4 so we waited while they pulled tables together. They were in front of the kitchen; we had views of the dishwasher and bright kitchen lights all night. The waitstaff dropped and broke dishes 5 times during the course of the evening. Loud crashes on top of the loud noise level made conversation nearly impossible. The food was good but the seafood selection was more limited than I expected and the prices were somewhat overpriced. I did mention in my reservation that one of the diners was celebrating her birthday and they brought her a creme brule. It was the best I had ever tasted. The hard sell to join the Landry's rewards club was off-putting.
- Oysters....BradVIPDined on 7/31/2014Good food, service and ambiance but made a mistake in characterizing where there oysters were from. There is a difference between Chesapeake and West Coast oysters that some customers can tell. I was told that the oysters were from Chesapeake Bay and they were clearly not.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersBradVIPDined on 7/31/2014I have said my piece previously.........................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit Pricey for the portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014Overall a quaint atmosphere, but the food taste was average and the price was high for the portion size. I ordered the Crispy Salmon and received a very small serving on a small portion of Lentils. The fish was a little dry and I was still hungry after eating my small serving. The server and overall service was fantastic. Our server was very personable and attentive and the wait staff was extremely prompt in refilling our water, without us ever having to ask.Special Features:
- Always My FavoriteNeedfoodDined on 7/25/2014Every visit to Denver involves dinner at Willie G's. After a long day of traveling this was a late night visit where I enjoyed two great appetizers as my meal. The Prime Rib Bruschetta (excellent) and the Seafood Trash (very good & unique). This with a couple of bourbons and excellent service made for a great evening.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceTonyGDined on 7/25/2014Had a great birthday dinner. Service and food were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood and SteakJhill1515VIPDined on 7/23/2014I had dinner here with a coworker while in Denver for work. They had a 50% wine Wednesday thing going on, which was pretty cool, so we got a $80 bottle for $40. Started with some oysters which were very reasonably priced and delicious. I ordered salmon covered with crab and lobster and my coworker got a steak. Both were prepared perfectly and were amazing. I found out there are more locations in Texas so I look forward to going to a Willie G's again soon.Special Features: