1911 East Passyunk Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
East Passyunk Avenue
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.willbyob.com/
- Phone: 2152717683x
- Hours of Operation:
We serve dinner five nights a week. Dinner reservations are available Wednesday through Thursday from 5:30p.m. to 10:00p.m. Friday and Saturday from 5:30p.m. to 11:00p.m. We offer a four course Prix Fixe menu on Sunday evening from 5:00p.m. to 10:00p.m. Join us every 3rd Tuesday of each month for out ingredient focused tasting menu 5 courses $55. Will BYOB is closed on Monday and Tuesday dinner services.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Christopher Kearse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you would like to entertain a select group of clients or host a reception throughout the entire restaurant, we offer a number of possibilites. For events of of guests or more please contact the reservation office.
- Private Party Contact: Doug.email@example.com 2152717683
- Cross Street: Mifflin & East Passyunk Ave
- Public Transit: Subway - Take the Broad Street Line to Tasker-Morris and walk two blocks east to East Passyunk Ave or to Snyder Ave and walk one block north to East Passyunk Ave.
Bus - Take the Route 23, Route 29 or C Bus on Broad Street, which all cross East Passyunk Avenue. The Route 2, 37, 47 and 47m.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking is available on the Avenue and in a municipal parking lot between Tasker and Morris for 50 cents per hour with a three hour maximum and free two hour parking is available on side streets.
There is also a Parkway garage on the NW corner of Broad and McKean Streets which offers secure parking just a few steps from the Avenue at affordable rates, including an evening rate of $5 after 5 p.m.
A word from Will BYOB
Will is a modern French inspired BYOB, located on East Passyunk Avenue in the heart of South Philadelphia. Chef and Owner Christopher Kearse, and his team, prepare a menu focused on its season, respecting French traditions along with classic and modern techniques to build a dining experience that evokes entertainment, excitement, and satisfaction.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Will BYOB reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)neighborhood gem (65)special occasion (51)romantic (39)hot spot (15)great for outdoor dining (6)good for groups (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Be patient!kallieVIPDined on 9/20/2014Food was great. Waiter was great at ignoring us. He seemed to have some friends seated outside who he was talking to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What great servers they have!PHMikeyVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food at Will is always stunning. This chef has a gift that just keeps on giving. I eat there often and am additionally impressed every time. But the front of the house gang also deserves mention as they really are excellent. Intelligent, witty, friendly, and calmly efficient. It's like ballet watching them work. Attitude come from the top - so whoever orchestrates the front of the house is certainly a good one.Special Features:
- Almost perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014I dined here several times about a year ago, and then recently twice within 2 weeks. The food remains creative, the flavors beautifully balanced, and the quality of the ingredients is exceptional. My only quibble is that the baked goods are not at the same level as the rest of the food; the bread was flavorless and dry, and even the dessert baked goods and the lovely parting gift of madeleines were a little disappointing. But the food is worth it and I'll be back.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I had the tasting menu and it was simply great. The first course, which was a soup, was a little sweet for my taste, but once I told them so, the following courses were exactly on point to my palette. I would love to go here again.Special Features:
- Good things come in small packagespassion4fdVIPDined on 9/6/2014Tiny restaurant, elbow room only-the downside being how tough it is to get a reservation for this new delicious restaurant. Well paired flavors and textures, fresh ingredients. We all got a small plate, entrée and desert and ate every bite. Despite being busy, service was good and the food well paced. I would certainly dine here again.Special Features:
- Great mealStraightFoodaDined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed our meal at Will, the food was varied and very well done. The duck breast, beef, and trout were very good and had a lot of flavors. I really liked the pot de creme. The only issue is that we had to wait 25 minutes for our 8:30 table to be ready. However, they did offer us a free appetizer as an apology. Overall, a nice place for special occasions.Special Features:
- Hidden gemtwelVIPDined on 8/29/2014This bistro is comparable to the ones we recently had dinner when we were in Paris. Impeccable service, delicious food. Not a misstep in the tasting menu (which is a value at $65). After eating recently at some highly touted newer restaurants in Philly, this one stands head and shoulders above them.Special Features:
- Does not disappointBearVIPDined on 8/22/2014Everyone from the server to the kitchen genuinely makes an effort to make sure you have as special an experience as possible. I really enjoyed the presentation of the different dishes. The food is of the highest quality. It is wonderful experiencing something so unique and so good at the same time.Special Features:
- consistently excellent foodphillydinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014This was our second visit to Will. Once again the food was perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. This is definitely one of the top notch BYOB' s in Philadelphia. Our waitress was very friendly and knowledgeable about the food and also appeared interested in what she told us. We will definitely be returning for a third, fourth....visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We really enjoyed our meal here. The foie gras with rabbit terrine was a surprising combination of richness, taste and texture. The head-on shrimps were sweet and tender. The best part was the juicy shrimp heads which were so succulent. It was quite a treat .Special Features:
- In love with WillThePhillyPorkchopDined on 8/15/2014This is my second time dining at Will. The first time was phenomenol but this tune was perfect as well. We ordered the tasting menu and it did not disappoint. All the food was from local ingredients and delicious. Our server was very pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu. I think Will is undoubtedly one of the best restaurants in Philadelphia if not the best. I will absolutely be back. Thanks Chef Kearse for an awesome meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingDean1VIPDined on 8/15/2014The food here is always amazing, prepared with incredible sophistication and flavor. This is a restaurant not to be misssed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WillBYOBWeekendDinerDined on 8/15/2014The food, service and comfortable dinning were all very good. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Will BYOBevv746Dined on 8/2/2014MY Wife and I went there for a recent anniversary and were provided with top of the line service, and they even recognized our anniversary in a creative way. In addition, the food was among the best we have had in Philadelphia, and Will completely lives up to a the reputation of one of new premier dining experiences in the city. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing night outkmarcum06Dined on 8/1/2014Will was an incredibly pleasant experience all around. Knowledgeable staff: our waiter answered all of our questions about ingredients/sauces etc. The tasting menu was well balanced throughout the courses. Highlights were the chilled corn soup that was so smooth and tasted like the essence of summer corn, the burgundy snails had a honey miso sauce that was unexpected and delicious, and quite possible the best trout I've ever had. Will provided an unforgettable evening that I got to spend with my loved ones. We even got to see the kitchen and meet Chef Chris!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will BYOBJNovDined on 7/30/2014My husband and I were looking for a French restaurant in South Philly. Will truly is a neighborhood gem. We went on a weeknight and the food and staff were fantastic. It's refreshing when it comes as a package! The waiter asked if we would be interested in a chef's tasting which consisted of a 5-course meal versus ordering separately from the menu. The corn soup, snails, mushroom, trout and desert was delightful. This is a restaurant for the open-minded. You're not going to get run of the mill food and food in ridiculously large quantities. I was full before desert came out. But I still tried it and loved it. We met the chef and he is one of the nicest people I've had the pleasure to meet. We can't wait to go back for another chef tasting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat here. Just do.SarahDined on 7/26/2014What can I say. The go-to place in Philly right now (and hopefully for a long time to come!). The food takes front and center here, but the service and ambience deserve special mention. My friend somehow ended up with a nick on her ankle in the short trek from the cab to our table. One of the servers (not even ours!) noticed my friend casually inspecting her ankle and immediately appeared with a bandaid- politely and discretely. We did the chef's tasting menu and highly recommend. This is the place to celebrate an occasion, take a nice date, or just enjoy a night out when in the mood to really experience food- impeccably and creatively prepared. Your palate will thank you.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantBarbaraManDined on 7/26/2014We had the $65 tasting menu. Each dish was carefully prepared and there was a good variety. Service was excellent. I wish the space was a little larger.Special Features:
- SimpleDisappointedVIPDined on 7/26/2014Just go! You just can't put something this exquisite in words.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MiniguffMiniguffVIPDined on 7/24/2014Will's is located on a side street with other restaurants. It is a small cozy place with a few outside tables. We sat outside because of the very pleasant evening. The staff was extremely friendly and very knowledgeable. We had read about the owner plus friends of ours had been there. We had been excited for months to go. We were not disappointed. The presentation was outstanding. The dishes were very creative. We enjoyed very much the taste of his creations. We were introduced to the owner/Chef. A very personable man and very friendly. You can tell he really enjoys cooking and meeting people. If you dine inside, expect some noise because it is a small place. We did note that Will's was busy and the other places were not. We loved the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BravofoodiedudieVIPDined on 7/23/2014Will is wonderful; one of my favorite byobs. Every time is go I am wowed. Small menu but every taste is sublime. The Hen of the Woods mushroom starter was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingLight123Dined on 7/19/2014Chris and his staff out did themselves. The presentation was impeccable and the taste was......amazing. I'm still dreaming about the gnocchi. I can't wait to go back and share the talents of WillByob with others! Thank you Chris!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to hear the conversationFancyVIPDined on 7/19/2014We came for my birthday--a party of 4 with an 8:15 reservation. We arrived right on time but had to wait outside about 15 or 20 minutes for our table. The service and food were well above average. The presentation is impressivene. The big drawback for me was the excessive noise. It truly detracted from the birthday celebration as we struggled to hear one another. I will not return before 9pm on a Sat as it's too busy and loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedWyoalDined on 7/19/2014Had the Tasting Menu. Started great with a wonderful cold corn soup and was downhill thereafter. Eric, our waiter, was a phoney who should find another calling, however, the rest of the wait staff was excellent . The low point may have been dessert; my wife had a dried out nut cake(maybe) and I a mundane pudding. Save the Taxi fare and eat up town. Maybe we were expecting too much - Philadelphia Magazine also did us a disservice with their rave review.
- Kitchen TalentOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/16/2014We took advantage of the pre-fixe tasting menu the restaurant offered on 7/17 and it turned out to be one of the best meals we've ever had in Philly. Our previous trips to Will have all showcased inspired food, beautifully presented, seasonal, and high on the flavor scale, but the aformentioned tasting menu exceeded all prior meals. The heirloom tomatoes, the poached lobster, halibut with chorizo, lamb ribs, etc., were all memorable! If you want to be impressed, Will will deliver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariaGladwyneDined on 7/12/2014We felt rushed. I understand they want to do THREE settings per table per night but sometimes that does not work. Even it was more annoying when the other tables of four stayed on. We had a reservation at 8. Had to wait a few minutes to have the table set and by 9:45 we were told our time was up. It seem we sat in the one that had to be rushed out ever time. Killed the experience. Not worth it
- Great first time.FredfromReadingVIPDined on 7/6/2014We were looking for a new place to dine at on a Sunday and I had read an article about Will BYOB. What a find this little BYOB was, great service and wonderful food. The Sunday Prixe Fixe was a very good deal and my date and I got to sample very many dishes. One of the special touches was the Basil Jam served with the bread, very delicious. The Hudson Valley Foie Gras & Rabbit Terrine was outstanding. I hope for much success for Chef Kearse and his staff.Special Features:
- Outstanding and InventiveDJK1VIPDined on 6/27/2014The dishes are very creative. The service is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectations!kptaylorDined on 6/26/2014I had heard great things about this place, and I was not disappointed! Each choice we selected was prepared with unique and delicious ingredients in an artful presentation. I'm atill dreaming about the corn soup! We recognized the chef from his days at Pumpkin. There are some obvious paralells between the two places. Both delicious! I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Miss Will Byobh2oworksDined on 6/25/2014In our opinion Will byob is providing the most delicious and interesting food in the city at a reasonable price. It is some of the best food we have ever had. The menu often changes depending on what is fresh. It is a small place so it can get noisy and often you will hear other diners saying mmmm and exclaiming wow! and Oh my god! as they bite into whatever it is they ordered. It is closer to center city than you would expect and we think you will find it is worth some extra effort. Just go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BYOB with tasting menuBebopsDined on 6/25/2014Bought fancy French wines, went with great hopes and were not disappointed. Some of the most interesting dishes in the city. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- As good as it getsrpf27VIPDined on 6/21/2014We have fallen in love with the Passyunk Avenue restaurant scene and Will byob ranks in our top three, along with Noord and Fond. (We haven't been able to get a reservation at Laurel since Nick won Top Chef! We're looking forward to our first dinner at Townend.) Our dinner last Saturday at Will was, if anything, even better then those that preceded it. Chef Kearse has such a special touch. His approach to me combines a light touch with a passion for intense flavors. The oysters that began our dinner were spectacular: fresh, slightly salty with a lovely lingering edge of flavor. The hen of the wood mushroom was spectacular; the vichyssoise was truly memorable. The skate wing elegant and full of flavor. Can't wait for the next time!Special Features:
- Lived up to high expectationsBWHCDined on 6/15/2014There's always a few restaurants that I hear about over and over, and they get so built up I find it hard to believe they will measure up in reality. Will BYOB was one of those happy exceptions. Not only did they call ahead of time because I had noted in my OpenTable reservation that a member of my party was gluten-free, but when we arrived they had noted it, had discussed it with the chef and were ready with multiple options to meet this need. And that doesn't even broach the fact that this was one of the best laid out, most flavorful, eye-catching meals I have had in Philadelphia. And the price was beyond reasonable. Go. Just go. Go Go Go.Special Features:
- Very Accommodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014My wife and I celebrated our 18th anniversary at Will BYOB. The food was excellent and the service impeccable. The Sunday pre fixe menu was delicious and beautifully presented. I called ahead to see what the menu for the even was and they made wine pairing recommendations. I alerted them that it was our anniversary and they printed "Happy 18th Anniversary" on the top of our menus. Nice touch! Thank you Will BYOB for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperiencecheckitoutVIPDined on 6/14/2014Although I am not a great big fan of French food, I decided to surprise my husband for Father's Day because it is one of the restaurants he has been eager to try. I was not disappointed for one minute, the food was delicious, service was even better and the prices were reasonable for a special occasion dinner. I would definitely try it again and again! I am a convert!Special Features:
- Incredible foodlorrainemdDined on 6/11/2014thoughtful, elegant, beautifully prepared food. french technique with a ton of creativity. we did the tasting and the progression was flawless. the service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Disappointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/11/2014Last nights dining experience at WILL was very disappointing. Although dishes were well prepared, the $65.00 tasting menu was poorly composed and bland flavors were dominating. Our server told us that flavors would getting bolder which each course. Main course was chicken followed by a ricotta flan dessert... It leaves us to believe that Chef Kearse did not think it well through. Also, having to ask for bread several times did not leave a great impression on service. After mentioning our concerns to our server we were given a free dessert coupon for our next visit. I would expect this kind of problem solving at Olive Garden and not at a 2 bell restaurant.
- Perfect meal!MelissaDined on 6/8/2014The food at Will is exquisite: beautiful to look at, inventive, delicious. We had the Sunday night prix fix, and every course was simply perfect. The value was also amazing -- in New York, such a meal would cost twice as much (and it would still be worth every penny!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and inventiveKathyDDined on 6/6/2014A delicious and inventive meal, without ever crossing over into weird. Will has a small but excellent menu, with seasonal ingredients and items that are a modern interpretation of some classic French dishes and ingredients. (Any restaurant that has both rabbit and skate wing on the menu is OK with me.) Prices are reasonable for the quality of the food; portions are not overly large, but one does not leave hungry, either (a problem at some similar spots). Bring a food-friendly wine or two and be prepared for a very nice meal. Noise level was fine when we arrived (7:00) - started getting noisy by the time we left and the small room was full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicetequilareposado123Dined on 6/4/2014We went to Will BYOB for the first time recently and it was just wonderful! Our server was upbeat, knew the menu and had many suggestions. The food is fresh and prepared in a straight-forward and sensible way. Natural flavors augmented with the chef's creativity. We definitely will go backSpecial Features: