1911 East Passyunk Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.willbyob.com/
- Phone: 2152717683x
- Hours of Operation:
We serve dinner five nights a week. Dinner reservations are available Wednesday through Thursday from 5:30p.m. to 10:00p.m. Friday and Saturday from 5:30p.m. to 11:00p.m. We offer a four course Prix Fixe menu on Sunday evening from 5:00p.m. to 10:00p.m. Join us every 3rd Tuesday of each month for out ingredient focused tasting menu 5 courses $55. Will BYOB is closed on Monday and Tuesday dinner services.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Christopher Kearse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you would like to entertain a select group of clients or host a reception throughout the entire restaurant, we offer a number of possibilites. For events of of guests or more please contact the reservation office.
- Private Party Contact: Doug.email@example.com 2152717683
- Cross Street: Mifflin & East Passyunk Ave
- Public Transit: Subway - Take the Broad Street Line to Tasker-Morris and walk two blocks east to East Passyunk Ave or to Snyder Ave and walk one block north to East Passyunk Ave.
Bus - Take the Route 23, Route 29 or C Bus on Broad Street, which all cross East Passyunk Avenue. The Route 2, 37, 47 and 47m.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking is available on the Avenue and in a municipal parking lot between Tasker and Morris for 50 cents per hour with a three hour maximum and free two hour parking is available on side streets.
There is also a Parkway garage on the NW corner of Broad and McKean Streets which offers secure parking just a few steps from the Avenue at affordable rates, including an evening rate of $5 after 5 p.m.
A word from Will BYOB
Will is a modern French inspired BYOB, located on East Passyunk Avenue in the heart of South Philadelphia. Chef and Owner Christopher Kearse, and his team, prepare a menu focused on its season, respecting French traditions along with classic and modern techniques to build a dining experience that evokes entertainment, excitement, and satisfaction.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Will BYOB - Best Restaurants in South Philly ›
Will BYOB reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)neighborhood gem (73)special occasion (66)romantic (47)hot spot (18)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- BravofoodiedudieVIPDined on 7/23/2014Will is wonderful; one of my favorite byobs. Every time is go I am wowed. Small menu but every taste is sublime. The Hen of the Woods mushroom starter was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingLight123Dined on 7/19/2014Chris and his staff out did themselves. The presentation was impeccable and the taste was......amazing. I'm still dreaming about the gnocchi. I can't wait to go back and share the talents of WillByob with others! Thank you Chris!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to hear the conversationFancyVIPDined on 7/19/2014We came for my birthday--a party of 4 with an 8:15 reservation. We arrived right on time but had to wait outside about 15 or 20 minutes for our table. The service and food were well above average. The presentation is impressivene. The big drawback for me was the excessive noise. It truly detracted from the birthday celebration as we struggled to hear one another. I will not return before 9pm on a Sat as it's too busy and loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedWyoalDined on 7/19/2014Had the Tasting Menu. Started great with a wonderful cold corn soup and was downhill thereafter. Eric, our waiter, was a phoney who should find another calling, however, the rest of the wait staff was excellent . The low point may have been dessert; my wife had a dried out nut cake(maybe) and I a mundane pudding. Save the Taxi fare and eat up town. Maybe we were expecting too much - Philadelphia Magazine also did us a disservice with their rave review.
- Kitchen TalentOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/16/2014We took advantage of the pre-fixe tasting menu the restaurant offered on 7/17 and it turned out to be one of the best meals we've ever had in Philly. Our previous trips to Will have all showcased inspired food, beautifully presented, seasonal, and high on the flavor scale, but the aformentioned tasting menu exceeded all prior meals. The heirloom tomatoes, the poached lobster, halibut with chorizo, lamb ribs, etc., were all memorable! If you want to be impressed, Will will deliver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariaGladwyneDined on 7/12/2014We felt rushed. I understand they want to do THREE settings per table per night but sometimes that does not work. Even it was more annoying when the other tables of four stayed on. We had a reservation at 8. Had to wait a few minutes to have the table set and by 9:45 we were told our time was up. It seem we sat in the one that had to be rushed out ever time. Killed the experience. Not worth it
- Great first time.FredfromReadingVIPDined on 7/6/2014We were looking for a new place to dine at on a Sunday and I had read an article about Will BYOB. What a find this little BYOB was, great service and wonderful food. The Sunday Prixe Fixe was a very good deal and my date and I got to sample very many dishes. One of the special touches was the Basil Jam served with the bread, very delicious. The Hudson Valley Foie Gras & Rabbit Terrine was outstanding. I hope for much success for Chef Kearse and his staff.Special Features:
- Outstanding and InventiveDJK1VIPDined on 6/27/2014The dishes are very creative. The service is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectations!kptaylorDined on 6/26/2014I had heard great things about this place, and I was not disappointed! Each choice we selected was prepared with unique and delicious ingredients in an artful presentation. I'm atill dreaming about the corn soup! We recognized the chef from his days at Pumpkin. There are some obvious paralells between the two places. Both delicious! I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Miss Will Byobh2oworksDined on 6/25/2014In our opinion Will byob is providing the most delicious and interesting food in the city at a reasonable price. It is some of the best food we have ever had. The menu often changes depending on what is fresh. It is a small place so it can get noisy and often you will hear other diners saying mmmm and exclaiming wow! and Oh my god! as they bite into whatever it is they ordered. It is closer to center city than you would expect and we think you will find it is worth some extra effort. Just go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BYOB with tasting menuBebopsDined on 6/25/2014Bought fancy French wines, went with great hopes and were not disappointed. Some of the most interesting dishes in the city. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- As good as it getsrpf27VIPDined on 6/21/2014We have fallen in love with the Passyunk Avenue restaurant scene and Will byob ranks in our top three, along with Noord and Fond. (We haven't been able to get a reservation at Laurel since Nick won Top Chef! We're looking forward to our first dinner at Townend.) Our dinner last Saturday at Will was, if anything, even better then those that preceded it. Chef Kearse has such a special touch. His approach to me combines a light touch with a passion for intense flavors. The oysters that began our dinner were spectacular: fresh, slightly salty with a lovely lingering edge of flavor. The hen of the wood mushroom was spectacular; the vichyssoise was truly memorable. The skate wing elegant and full of flavor. Can't wait for the next time!Special Features:
- Lived up to high expectationsBWHCDined on 6/15/2014There's always a few restaurants that I hear about over and over, and they get so built up I find it hard to believe they will measure up in reality. Will BYOB was one of those happy exceptions. Not only did they call ahead of time because I had noted in my OpenTable reservation that a member of my party was gluten-free, but when we arrived they had noted it, had discussed it with the chef and were ready with multiple options to meet this need. And that doesn't even broach the fact that this was one of the best laid out, most flavorful, eye-catching meals I have had in Philadelphia. And the price was beyond reasonable. Go. Just go. Go Go Go.Special Features:
- Very Accommodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014My wife and I celebrated our 18th anniversary at Will BYOB. The food was excellent and the service impeccable. The Sunday pre fixe menu was delicious and beautifully presented. I called ahead to see what the menu for the even was and they made wine pairing recommendations. I alerted them that it was our anniversary and they printed "Happy 18th Anniversary" on the top of our menus. Nice touch! Thank you Will BYOB for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperiencecheckitoutVIPDined on 6/14/2014Although I am not a great big fan of French food, I decided to surprise my husband for Father's Day because it is one of the restaurants he has been eager to try. I was not disappointed for one minute, the food was delicious, service was even better and the prices were reasonable for a special occasion dinner. I would definitely try it again and again! I am a convert!Special Features:
- Incredible foodlorrainemdDined on 6/11/2014thoughtful, elegant, beautifully prepared food. french technique with a ton of creativity. we did the tasting and the progression was flawless. the service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Disappointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/11/2014Last nights dining experience at WILL was very disappointing. Although dishes were well prepared, the $65.00 tasting menu was poorly composed and bland flavors were dominating. Our server told us that flavors would getting bolder which each course. Main course was chicken followed by a ricotta flan dessert... It leaves us to believe that Chef Kearse did not think it well through. Also, having to ask for bread several times did not leave a great impression on service. After mentioning our concerns to our server we were given a free dessert coupon for our next visit. I would expect this kind of problem solving at Olive Garden and not at a 2 bell restaurant.
- Perfect meal!MelissaDined on 6/8/2014The food at Will is exquisite: beautiful to look at, inventive, delicious. We had the Sunday night prix fix, and every course was simply perfect. The value was also amazing -- in New York, such a meal would cost twice as much (and it would still be worth every penny!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and inventiveKathyDDined on 6/6/2014A delicious and inventive meal, without ever crossing over into weird. Will has a small but excellent menu, with seasonal ingredients and items that are a modern interpretation of some classic French dishes and ingredients. (Any restaurant that has both rabbit and skate wing on the menu is OK with me.) Prices are reasonable for the quality of the food; portions are not overly large, but one does not leave hungry, either (a problem at some similar spots). Bring a food-friendly wine or two and be prepared for a very nice meal. Noise level was fine when we arrived (7:00) - started getting noisy by the time we left and the small room was full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicetequilareposado123Dined on 6/4/2014We went to Will BYOB for the first time recently and it was just wonderful! Our server was upbeat, knew the menu and had many suggestions. The food is fresh and prepared in a straight-forward and sensible way. Natural flavors augmented with the chef's creativity. We definitely will go backSpecial Features:
- Next level foodLoveWillDined on 6/1/2014Our meal at Will was truly fantastic. We had the Sunday Chef's tasting menu and ordered pretty much all of the options. The chef combined varied and interesting seasonal ingredients in an artful and delicious way. Everything tasted delicious and was cooked absolutely perfectly. We are tough critics and no complaints on this one. Really pretty reasonably priced given the level of quality and sophistication.Special Features:
- Fabulous !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014We will definitely be back. The flavors were exceptional.Special Features:
- Always an outstanding meal at WILLMicahBVIPDined on 5/31/2014There are only a handful of restaurants that we repeatedly go back to multiple times each year, and Will BYOB is one of them. You can't get a more elegant chef-inspired meal for a reasonable cost anywhere else. The food never disappoints. Our waiter on this visit was especially good. And on a nice night with the windows open, it felt quieter and less crowded. Among our favorites is the mushroom first course, our table shared the gnocchi entrée as a second plate, followed by short ribs and two fish entrees among the four diners. The table shared the three dessert choices. With a high end Napa cab brought along BYOB, it made for an outstanding evening out with friends.Special Features:
- Another Flawless MealREBTDoctorVIPDined on 5/31/2014We had a another flawless meal at Will BYOB. If you want perfection go book a meal at Will BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened?SeriousFoodieDined on 5/30/2014We had been to WillBYOB three time before this last visit and each meal was fantastic, world class. This time, ordinary would be the operational word. For staters, the hen-of -the-woods mushroom which my wife adores and has ordered each time was very disappointing. It had not been marinated well and was rather tasteless. Our duck was good but nothing special. The kitchen or our waitress mixed up my vegetable order. It was like we had walked into a different restaurant . Even if the regular chef was not cooking that night, procedures should have been in place to keep the quality of the food up to previous standards. Until we hear that it has returned to its former ways I doubt if we shall go back.
- TerriVIPDined on 5/24/2014This was our third visit in a year. And , it was another incredible experience. We tried the tasting menu this time-it did not disappoint. The level of creativity coupled with the presentation is remarkable. Many, many cudos to everyone associated with Will BYOB.Special Features:
- A little gem on Passyunk aVenueEricDined on 5/23/2014If you are looking for a great little ciozy and warm spot to sample some delicious food, then RUN, do not walk to 1911 East Passyunk Avenue to this lovely little spot for a great meal. The food is divinely prepared and the wait staff are warm and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing.centercitygalVIPDined on 5/23/2014We had high expectations for WillBYOB, but they were not met. High prices, yes, with food with exotic names and fancy presentation. Taste was lacking. Worst of all, my husband's duck breast was tough - almost inedible.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/22/2014This is my favorite restaurant. My boyfriend and I have been coming here for two years and they hit it out of the park every time. Cannot recommend highly enough!Special Features:
- not for metraditionalGalDined on 5/18/2014the food was beautifully displayed, but, the taste and texture and combination of flavors stayed with me longer that i wantedSpecial Features:
- WILLJoyceDined on 5/17/2014Outstanding price fixe spring menu that evening. Lovely presentation, delicious flavors and very knowledgeable and courteous waitstaff. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/9/2014Truly wonderful food with excellent service. English Pea Gazpacho, Whole Roasted Hen of the Woods Mushroom, Yellowfin Tuna, and Lavender Spiced Duck Breast made for a memorable meal. And don't forget dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurantGeryDined on 5/8/2014Fun little place with excellent food. Interesting menu, everything prepared with care and expertise. Menu is a bit limited but the selections offered are well chosen.Special Features:
- A standout!lconnDined on 5/3/2014Despite it's completely plain and nondescript decor, this is one of the best restaurants I've been to. Every bite was breathtakingly unique. The bread was served with deep green, garlicky ramp butter. My cold pea soup with a few delicate mussels and roasted grapes had crunchy and delicately sweet apple streusel crumbles in the bottom. It was the perfect dish. Dessert was something special! The delicious cows milk cheese was served with buttery toast points, crunchy sweet things they called honeycomb, black garlic sauce and an amazing dollop of lemony-tarte fennel jam. The combination of flavors was like fireworks! I highly recommend this restaurant. It's chef is a brilliant artist!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More of a fusion cuisine, I think.MrPeppersDined on 5/3/2014This is not your grandmother's French restaurant, so do not be turned off by this classification on Open Table. It is in vibrant cluster of small restaurants. We went early, which paid off with a chance to engage with our server and to set a leisurely pace for the fabulous meal to come. We had trouble narrowing our selections, so we accepted the suggestion to add a course to be shared. This dish was a superb and complex medley of flavors featuring a lamb ragout and coin-like pasta imprinted with mint and parsley. Lovely presentations and delicious food. I am now planning to reserve for the Sunday chef's tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal in a unique spotJulieVIPDined on 5/3/2014My husband and I are admitted food snobs. It takes a lot to impress us so we weren't expecting much from another Philly BYO. However we were blown away. The English pea velouté and terrine were amazing. Our beef and fish entrees were both delicious as well. Dessert was a complex yet light custard. From start to finish the whole meal was top notch including our extremely knowledgable server Cathy. We dined outside on a beautiful spring day and enjoyed the unique atmosphere the neighborhood has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heard great thingsFancyVIPDined on 5/2/2014and we were not disappointed. It's a small romantic place that opens up onto the street in good weather. The flavors on the menu are a bit unusual, and we loved out dishes!! The menu offers a good variety of entrees from fish and beef to vegetarian. Everything, including dessert, was scrumptious! I had read that the wait staff was knowledgable about the menu and helpful without being supercilious. That was correct!! Since we ate late, the place was clearing out when we were leaving, and we were invited to meet the chief, which added to the fun. We congratulated him on excellent cuisine in a friendly and charming setting!Special Features:
- fantastic innovative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014This is a small restaurant with great service and innovative excellent food. Service was superb. For example, we ordered a club soda. They discovered they were out and a staff member someone walked across the street and bought some. We are going to hire out the restaurant for a private function.Special Features:
- largreenVIPDined on 5/1/2014Chef driven fine dining. Attentive staff. Great attention to detailSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful WillLjmcDined on 4/26/2014What the chef does with food is unique and amazing. There's never a misstep; from the menu to the service it's all great. This tiny place in Passyhunk is indeed wonderful.Special Features: