Wilf's Restaurant & Bar
800 NW 6th Ave at Union Station
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Wilf's Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wilfsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5032230070
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30AM - 3:00PM Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00PM - Closing Casual Bar Menu 3:00PM - closing
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Deb Serkoian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Parties for 2 to 2,000! Gatherings mark some of life's most important and intimate moments. Wilfs starts with the basics. We ask our clients to provide several key words to describe the atmosphere they want to create and then Wilfs works toward expressing their vision.
Wilfs uses only the freshest ingredients from our Northwest area, organic and hormone-free whenever possible, and can provide vegan and vegetarian options as well. Wilfs is proud to be a "sustainable" company of the Northwest.
- Private Party Facilities: Wilfs is the perfect venue for all your dining events from 5-150. Our expert staff can create the most exquiste event from start to finish; a simple lunch, cocktail reception to a sit-down dinner. Classic American cuisine, with a Northwest twist, 'Mad Men' cocktails, jazz entertainment...at Wilfs.
- Private Party Contact: Candace 8778794450
- Entertainment: Jazz notes from the piano drift through the dining room as the gracious waitstaff care for our guests. Wilfs has the proud reputation as one the best spots to hear Portland's jazz artists perform, and if you are lucky, national artists may "sit-in" or be relaxing to the music, just like you! Entertainment is nightly Wednesday through Saturday. Check our website for our current entertainment calendar. www.wilfsrestaurant.com
- Special Events: The entire restaurant or Union Station Lobby...it's yours for the asking! Weddings, rehearsal dinners, retirement or holiday party, let us create your dream. Food, libations, music, flowers, photo booth, whatever you need.
- Cross Street: NW Irving
- Public Transit: Wilfs is located on the Max light rail line, our stop is designated "Union Station" on NW 5th & 6th Avenues. For Rose Quarter events: dine with us before the event, pick up the light rail on NW 6th, you're just 3 minutes from the Rose Quarter, the first stop. Quick and easy.(Yellow & Green line)
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Wilfs has a limited number of RESERVED stalls in the lot across the street from Union Station, marked "Wilfs Reserved." All other stalls are 'pay to park'. Additional street parking available, free after 7pm.
A word from Wilf's Restaurant & Bar
Located in the 1898 renovated Union Station, just minutes from the Pearl and downtown Portland. Our cozy red wing back chairs provide guests with an intimate escape from the world. 'Mad Men' atmopshere best describes the lounge and it's modern take on classic cocktails, while listening to the best jazz, performed up-close and personal. Chef Deb Serkoian and expert staff prepare local and regional dishes with a modern twist. Award winning caesar salad, Steak Diane, fresh local seafood, wide selection of appetizers and a great burger or reuben, as well. Parties and events for 2 to 2000, call Candace to begin your planning, just a few questions away from creating what you need...lunch, dinner, receptions and more. Opentable reservations are for the 'dining room' only, and for 'dinner menu' only. Reservations for our 'lounge' area are not accepted through Opentable, there is an additional cover charge for music Wednesday through Saturday. Thank you for your consideration of this policy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Wilf's Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Pearl District ›
Wilf's Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (27)romantic (26)fit for foodies (16)notable wine list (10)neighborhood gem (9)late-night find (8)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- outstanding serviceFoodieDined on 10/18/2014From beginning to end Wilf's is a memorable experience in dining. My fish dish was excellent, although my daughters wild boar sausage pasta dish was not up to par, the flaming steak Diane was excellent. We come for the mushroom bread pudding - out of this world. Also the bananas foster are absolutely delicious. I will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Birthday PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The host and waiter were excellent. The high back chairs and great food made the evening delicious. Best of all was the added touch of having Michael Allen Harrison and Julianne Johnson performing in the bar. Their musical talent is incredible and very heartfelt. It made our birthday celebration for a dear friend perfect as she loves them both so very much. Desert prepared table side was excellent and the personal visit by both Michael and Julianne will be remembered for a very long time. Thank you Wilf's for making our birthday celebration for Patricia so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentkkatDined on 10/4/2014The food and the service was wonderful. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live jazz,good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014First time at Wilfs in a very long time., Went specifically to see MJQ, what an amazing night of music, friends and food. MJQ was all that.Special Features:
- Perfect..as always!highroad2findDined on 10/2/2014Wilf's is the standard for service and excellence that all restaurants should aspire to. The only surprise I have here is that they have never failed to impress me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemMarkDined on 10/2/2014Because Wilf's is at the train station and has been around so long, I think most Portlanders have forgotten about it, but this hidden gem of a restaurant is worth rediscovering! The service is attentive without being obsequious, friendly without being chummy. The food is fantastic, with locally sourced ingredients and tableside preparation of classics like caesar salad, steak Diane and cherries jubilee. The ambiance is old-school elegant, with high-backed, comfortable chairs, and you can watch trains leaving and arriving at the station. Wilf's also has jazz 4 nights a week, a fact that made our dinner there even more memorable. The place was nearly empty when we were there, but I can't imagine why. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- service suckedduck90Dined on 9/27/2014Enjoyed our night music excellent food was great yet the service wasnt the best in the same 1 1/2 hrs we were there tge table next to us waiteress was at their table every 10mins..our waiter maybe every 25minsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good night with a groupondrlavaDined on 9/27/2014The experience overall was nice - great jazz band entertained us while we dined, and service was enthusiastic and quirky. Food was very good with an organic feel and smallish portion sizes. Entrees price was too much for what you get, but with a groupon ($20 off 50, total bill 130 for 2) and live entertainment, the overall experience was good. I hope they pay the band beyond just the cover charge, because it significantly affects the overall value proposition. Go on a night with a good live band and you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Wilf's is second to none!sugarbelleDined on 9/27/2014Everything - the ambiance, the music, the cocktails, the wine, the food (try the Banana's Foster!), the service - was extraordinary. My guests were impressed and thoroughly enjoyed themselves, my kids are insisting we go back, and I couldn't be happier. There's nothing else like it in Portland.Special Features:
- EXTRAORDINARY SERVICEWvtedwardsDined on 9/23/2014We went on a Tuesday night which was very quiet and we practically had the entire dining room to ourselves but I have the feeling that if it had been crowded, we would have still had very special service. John was amazing and so was the dinner. We will be back for the music on the right night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & fabulous entertainmentbzlwillisVIPDined on 9/19/2014We were there to hear Michael Allen Harrison and Julianne Johnson perform. Food was all very good, wine was great...it was a fun night! It is definitely overpriced, but with the entertainment there that we wanted to enjoy...it was worth it for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unhappyunhappyDined on 9/19/2014Food was mediocare for the price. Entertainment was great
- very priceyexpensiveDined on 9/13/2014Husband's salmon was very expensive and disappointing because it was dry and the rice was under cooked.Special Features:
- Wilf's Above ParByrdsnestDined on 9/11/2014Attentive staff very knowledgeable about the food and it's history. Extensive wine list. We had Steak Diane and Bananas Foster prepared table side, a rare treat now days, and very delicious. Waiter told us the history of the food names as he was preparing each dish. Jazz in the evening sets the right mood for a cozy evening out.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceTheFab2Dined on 8/30/2014We celebrated our 46th anniversary at Wilf 's. We were treated with special attention and care from the moment we arrived. We chose a booth in the bar so we could also enjoy the jazz trio after dinner. The Laura Cunard Trio was fabulous. The Steak Diane was excellent and prepared flambé at the table with a flourish and story of Diane to boot. Service was exceptional and everything from the spicy strawberry marguerita to the ice box cake for dessert was to die for. One of our best dining experiences in Portland. The fact Wilfs is located at Union Station makes it even more quaint. Highly recommend for dining and jazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good...butRichDined on 8/29/2014The atmosphere is very nice, service is great and the sustainable and local food source is a nice bonus. Unfortunately it is very pricey and the serving size is pretty small, and would not be able to go here without the $50 Groupon. After my bread and entree, I left hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MusicjdjazzfoodieDined on 8/23/2014I am a Jazz fan... I am so glad to see that this place features live jazz music. Live music is really what's key here. The staff was friendly enough, but not great. The food was fine, but not great. We had to send one meal back... too much raw garlic... phew! I want to see Wilf's succeed. They need to learn a few things about the volume of the music, it could have been a wee bit softer. The staff needs to pay attention to the customers and the cook needs to take a few lessons in salt and garlic subtlety... Other thank that, its a cool place!Special Features:
- DisappointedtrytopleasemeDined on 8/22/2014We had been told the Wilfs was great for jazz dancing. The jazz artist was not jazzy and there was no dance area. Then the service was lackluster and slow. Host was nice enough to accommodate our request to be moved from the lounge tables, which were really not suitable for dinner, to a dinner table with view of band (still charged $8 per person cover). The food was good enough but maybe not so good to bring us back, especially with the $37 cost of the pan seared salmon. Our Groupon discount coupon was a bust. Only saved about $10 after they added an almost 30% mandatory gratuity (surprise) with Groupon. Would not have given that much tip for the slow service. Oh, and the margaritas we ordered were more like fruit juice than anything else.
- Tonight this is a mixed reviewJmsfoVIPDined on 8/16/2014I'm a regular and a fan of Wilf's. The setting is cozy, comforable, inviting. The jazz is always great. The service can be mixed; started out well with the Bartender waiting on me at a quiet time. As it got busier, the service was sporatic. Was served a drink and the glass was cracked (pretty obviously too). Tonight I thought it was a bit too pricey for what they delivered. I would still recommend Wilf's but some improvement in delivery would be welcomed.Special Features:
- Wonderful place for dinnerWolframDined on 8/16/2014Very nice, relaxing atmosphere - much classier than one would expect in a train station. Food was excellent. Salad was outstanding. Scallops - the day's special - were a bit salty for our taste, but otherwise great. A highlight for dessert were the Cherries Jubilee, which are flambéed tableside as the waiter explains how they are prepared and their historical origin. When using discounts such as Groupon, note that an automatic 19% gratuity is added. This is clearly stated on the menu (and is understandable, as some may forget that the tip should be based on the total before discounts). This may come as a surprise to some, as Groupon fails to note this on their website ... but the excellent service definitely merits a tip at this level.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceafoolswisdomDined on 8/12/2014We went to Wilf's for our 7th Anniversary. It was a wonderful. The food was all locally grown, beautifully prepared, and tasted super fresh. Our server was entertaining and very pleasant. We utilized Wilf's for our reception for our wedding 7 years ago. It is still as wonderful now as it was then. I daresay it has gotten better. Great place located in downtown Portland if you are looking for some place with some history and a great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterdDined on 8/8/2014Good quality music at a level that you can hear but still have a conversation. Wait staff was very good and friendly. We were a party of 4, with each person having something different and we we were all pleased with the food.Special Features:
- Deliciouskvb1Dined on 8/1/2014For us this is a once a year deal as it is too spendy for us otherwise. But we definitely enjoy the food. The mushroom bread pudding is completely amazing and our favorite item there. The service is always spot on.Special Features:
- What a great find!DesiDinerDined on 7/30/2014I'm only sorry I hadn't found this place sooner. The service was fabulous. The food was absolutely delicious. The Jazz music took me back to another era. I loved that you could focus on the music or just sit and talk with friends without it being too loud.Special Features:
- JudyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Best Long Islands EVER! Excellent service. Good food. Nothing else to say. Thank you, Judy
- Good food.tnileDined on 7/19/2014My son and I went there to watch a few of the local musicians. I had never been there before, but the food was great and the service good. All and all we had a great time.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014We ate here our last night in Portland, and it did not disappoint. The service was exceptional, food was wonderful. We had ordered some dishes that were prepared table-side, which added to the ambiance. This is a great place, whether special occasion or drop in for drinks and music - which by the way was very nice. The jazz was good, and noise level wasn't so loud that we couldn't have a conversation while dining. Can't wait to come backSpecial Features:
- MamaBearDined on 7/3/2014The best scallops I've ever had. Attentive servers. Best lemondrop I'd ever had also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very unique experienceFromSeattleDined on 6/27/2014The Wilf's offers a truly romantic setting with live jazz music in downtown Portland, a walking distance for most hotels yet away from the traffic background noise. From the moment, we walked in, my date and I were treated like VIP's and catered for with courtesy and thoughtfulness. I highly recommend the Cafe Diablo (for two people) that John, the Maitre D, will prepare at your table with panache and a sense of humor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 263 reviews are from the Wilf's Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Music was greatluv2eatDined on 6/21/2014The music was great and a nice add. The food was average and priced about 2x what it should have been. Next time I will stick to the bar menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great old style continentalFoodLuvrDined on 6/18/2014Classic food in a classic setting. There is a place for these old style restaurants, even in the midst of the foodie revolution going on in Portland. The live jazz is excellent. As old restaurants go, it looks a little worn, but the sense of history really enhances the experience. They serve classics like tableside preparation of Caesar salad and cherries jubilee. I had both, they were excellent. Service is top notch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Host, Good foodfoodiepdxDined on 6/12/2014The host at Wilf's is super attentive and considerate. Our food was delicious, especially the homemade feta/jalepeno bread! The only negative on food was that the desserts seemed small despite regular prices ($9 for a mini-creme brulee) - have seen bigger dishes at same prices elsewhere. But we got some complimentary chocolate almonds for our anniversary (Why we were out) so that was nice.Special Features:
- So-soQuicksdrawDined on 6/10/2014Well over priced for adequate food. The service was very good and the waiter friendly. The chairs were uncomfortable and dirty (food smears on the cloth). We all heard the waiter tell us the special was a certain cut of steak smothered in crab meat... Obviously he was mistaken as the steak had a dollop of a bleu cheese concoction on top. I think there's better restaurants in Portland for the price.
- It was okFood4lifeDined on 5/31/2014First thing we noticed we were the youngest couple in the place(I'm 52 ) average was probably 70 plus. Music was fine old not to loud. Wilfs is little run down the chairs were old and tattered. No excitement among staff. The ceaser salad was good made at the table. I had the special a Rib Eye steak with a Cajun spice is was ok not much flavor. My girlfriend had the seafood trio Scallops,shrimp and crab good flavor. Overall disappointed with the menu. Probably wouldn't recommend to friend who was foodie.Special Features:
- Great EntertainmentpdxdinerVIPDined on 5/31/2014So much fun to have a cocktail and intimate entertainment. The band and singer were terrific. Dinner was quite good. I will return.Special Features:
- We came for the music...giddyupgoDined on 5/31/2014We came for the music, and the food was great too. This was our 10th Anniversary celebration, and we enjoyed a fabulous meal. Several friends were there to listen to the music too, so we stayed late and had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming piece of historyDatenightVIPDined on 5/23/2014This restaurant is in the historic Union train station. The food is wonderful with a varied menu to please most in the party. Staff was knowledgeable and timely. Quiet romantic dining with a rail-like experience. Music in the lounge later can raise the noise level for late evening diners.Special Features:
- Table Side Performance!WebfunkVIPDined on 5/10/2014Caesar Salad, Steak Diane and Bananas a Foster all prepared at the table while the story of where these dishes started is shared.. Very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit pretentiousgottalovherDined on 5/3/2014the food was fine -- but we are not there to be 'educated' about food.
- Wilf's Dinner w/ band and singerwillowaussieDined on 4/30/2014We totally enjoyed Ron Steen, Joe and Jan Koenig. They were all wonderful. We loved the fact that the we could see outside as the curtains were up on the windows and the sunset was pretty as it was a beautiful sunny day. I have not been to Wilf's for many years. Last time they had a piano bar. Wonderful atmosphere and the service was fantastic. The food was not that good for the price we had to pay. Would have probably been better off with appetizers. There was no chicken on the dinner menu which is pretty much all I can eat. French Onion soup was very good though. I had Steak Diane and my husband had a Seafood Noodle mix, which was not much for him so he ate the rest of my meal. Dessert was fine.Special Features: