Wilf's Restaurant & Bar
800 NW 6th Ave at Union Station
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Wilf's Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wilfsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5032230070
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30AM - 3:00PM Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00PM - Closing Casual Bar Menu 3:00PM - closing
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Deb Serkoian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Parties for 2 to 2,000! Gatherings mark some of life's most important and intimate moments. Wilfs starts with the basics. We ask our clients to provide several key words to describe the atmosphere they want to create and then Wilfs works toward expressing their vision.
Wilfs uses only the freshest ingredients from our Northwest area, organic and hormone-free whenever possible, and can provide vegan and vegetarian options as well. Wilfs is proud to be a "sustainable" company of the Northwest.
- Private Party Facilities: Wilfs is the perfect venue for all your dining events from 5-150. Our expert staff can create the most exquiste event from start to finish; a simple lunch, cocktail reception to a sit-down dinner. Classic American cuisine, with a Northwest twist, 'Mad Men' cocktails, jazz entertainment...at Wilfs.
- Private Party Contact: Candace 8778794450
- Entertainment: Jazz notes from the piano drift through the dining room as the gracious waitstaff care for our guests. Wilfs has the proud reputation as one the best spots to hear Portland's jazz artists perform, and if you are lucky, national artists may "sit-in" or be relaxing to the music, just like you! Entertainment is nightly Wednesday through Saturday. Check our website for our current entertainment calendar. www.wilfsrestaurant.com
- Special Events: The entire restaurant or Union Station Lobby...it's yours for the asking! Weddings, rehearsal dinners, retirement or holiday party, let us create your dream. Food, libations, music, flowers, photo booth, whatever you need.
- Cross Street: NW Irving
- Public Transit: Wilfs is located on the Max light rail line, our stop is designated "Union Station" on NW 5th & 6th Avenues. For Rose Quarter events: dine with us before the event, pick up the light rail on NW 6th, you're just 3 minutes from the Rose Quarter, the first stop. Quick and easy.(Yellow & Green line)
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Wilfs has a limited number of RESERVED stalls in the lot across the street from Union Station, marked "Wilfs Reserved." All other stalls are 'pay to park'. Additional street parking available, free after 7pm.
A word from Wilf's Restaurant & Bar
Located in the 1898 renovated Union Station, just minutes from the Pearl and downtown Portland. Our cozy red wing back chairs provide guests with an intimate escape from the world. 'Mad Men' atmopshere best describes the lounge and it's modern take on classic cocktails, while listening to the best jazz, performed up-close and personal. Chef Deb Serkoian and expert staff prepare local and regional dishes with a modern twist. Award winning caesar salad, Steak Diane, fresh local seafood, wide selection of appetizers and a great burger or reuben, as well. Parties and events for 2 to 2000, call Candace to begin your planning, just a few questions away from creating what you need...lunch, dinner, receptions and more. Opentable reservations are for the 'dining room' only, and for 'dinner menu' only. Reservations for our 'lounge' area are not accepted through Opentable, there is an additional cover charge for music Wednesday through Saturday. Thank you for your consideration of this policy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Wilf's Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Pearl District ›
Wilf's Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (21)special occasion (21)fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (9)late-night find (8)notable wine list (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- EXTRAORDINARY SERVICEWvtedwardsDined on 9/23/2014We went on a Tuesday night which was very quiet and we practically had the entire dining room to ourselves but I have the feeling that if it had been crowded, we would have still had very special service. John was amazing and so was the dinner. We will be back for the music on the right night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & fabulous entertainmentbzlwillisVIPDined on 9/19/2014We were there to hear Michael Allen Harrison and Julianne Johnson perform. Food was all very good, wine was great...it was a fun night! It is definitely overpriced, but with the entertainment there that we wanted to enjoy...it was worth it for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unhappyunhappyDined on 9/19/2014Food was mediocare for the price. Entertainment was great
- very priceyexpensiveDined on 9/13/2014Husband's salmon was very expensive and disappointing because it was dry and the rice was under cooked.Special Features:
- Wilf's Above ParByrdsnestDined on 9/11/2014Attentive staff very knowledgeable about the food and it's history. Extensive wine list. We had Steak Diane and Bananas Foster prepared table side, a rare treat now days, and very delicious. Waiter told us the history of the food names as he was preparing each dish. Jazz in the evening sets the right mood for a cozy evening out.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceTheFab2Dined on 8/30/2014We celebrated our 46th anniversary at Wilf 's. We were treated with special attention and care from the moment we arrived. We chose a booth in the bar so we could also enjoy the jazz trio after dinner. The Laura Cunard Trio was fabulous. The Steak Diane was excellent and prepared flambé at the table with a flourish and story of Diane to boot. Service was exceptional and everything from the spicy strawberry marguerita to the ice box cake for dessert was to die for. One of our best dining experiences in Portland. The fact Wilfs is located at Union Station makes it even more quaint. Highly recommend for dining and jazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good...butRichDined on 8/29/2014The atmosphere is very nice, service is great and the sustainable and local food source is a nice bonus. Unfortunately it is very pricey and the serving size is pretty small, and would not be able to go here without the $50 Groupon. After my bread and entree, I left hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MusicjdjazzfoodieDined on 8/23/2014I am a Jazz fan... I am so glad to see that this place features live jazz music. Live music is really what's key here. The staff was friendly enough, but not great. The food was fine, but not great. We had to send one meal back... too much raw garlic... phew! I want to see Wilf's succeed. They need to learn a few things about the volume of the music, it could have been a wee bit softer. The staff needs to pay attention to the customers and the cook needs to take a few lessons in salt and garlic subtlety... Other thank that, its a cool place!Special Features:
- DisappointedtrytopleasemeDined on 8/22/2014We had been told the Wilfs was great for jazz dancing. The jazz artist was not jazzy and there was no dance area. Then the service was lackluster and slow. Host was nice enough to accommodate our request to be moved from the lounge tables, which were really not suitable for dinner, to a dinner table with view of band (still charged $8 per person cover). The food was good enough but maybe not so good to bring us back, especially with the $37 cost of the pan seared salmon. Our Groupon discount coupon was a bust. Only saved about $10 after they added an almost 30% mandatory gratuity (surprise) with Groupon. Would not have given that much tip for the slow service. Oh, and the margaritas we ordered were more like fruit juice than anything else.
- Tonight this is a mixed reviewJmsfoVIPDined on 8/16/2014I'm a regular and a fan of Wilf's. The setting is cozy, comforable, inviting. The jazz is always great. The service can be mixed; started out well with the Bartender waiting on me at a quiet time. As it got busier, the service was sporatic. Was served a drink and the glass was cracked (pretty obviously too). Tonight I thought it was a bit too pricey for what they delivered. I would still recommend Wilf's but some improvement in delivery would be welcomed.Special Features:
- Wonderful place for dinnerWolframDined on 8/16/2014Very nice, relaxing atmosphere - much classier than one would expect in a train station. Food was excellent. Salad was outstanding. Scallops - the day's special - were a bit salty for our taste, but otherwise great. A highlight for dessert were the Cherries Jubilee, which are flambéed tableside as the waiter explains how they are prepared and their historical origin. When using discounts such as Groupon, note that an automatic 19% gratuity is added. This is clearly stated on the menu (and is understandable, as some may forget that the tip should be based on the total before discounts). This may come as a surprise to some, as Groupon fails to note this on their website ... but the excellent service definitely merits a tip at this level.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceafoolswisdomDined on 8/12/2014We went to Wilf's for our 7th Anniversary. It was a wonderful. The food was all locally grown, beautifully prepared, and tasted super fresh. Our server was entertaining and very pleasant. We utilized Wilf's for our reception for our wedding 7 years ago. It is still as wonderful now as it was then. I daresay it has gotten better. Great place located in downtown Portland if you are looking for some place with some history and a great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterdDined on 8/8/2014Good quality music at a level that you can hear but still have a conversation. Wait staff was very good and friendly. We were a party of 4, with each person having something different and we we were all pleased with the food.Special Features:
- Deliciouskvb1Dined on 8/1/2014For us this is a once a year deal as it is too spendy for us otherwise. But we definitely enjoy the food. The mushroom bread pudding is completely amazing and our favorite item there. The service is always spot on.Special Features:
- What a great find!DesiDinerDined on 7/30/2014I'm only sorry I hadn't found this place sooner. The service was fabulous. The food was absolutely delicious. The Jazz music took me back to another era. I loved that you could focus on the music or just sit and talk with friends without it being too loud.Special Features:
- JudyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Best Long Islands EVER! Excellent service. Good food. Nothing else to say. Thank you, Judy
- Good food.tnileDined on 7/19/2014My son and I went there to watch a few of the local musicians. I had never been there before, but the food was great and the service good. All and all we had a great time.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014We ate here our last night in Portland, and it did not disappoint. The service was exceptional, food was wonderful. We had ordered some dishes that were prepared table-side, which added to the ambiance. This is a great place, whether special occasion or drop in for drinks and music - which by the way was very nice. The jazz was good, and noise level wasn't so loud that we couldn't have a conversation while dining. Can't wait to come backSpecial Features:
- MamaBearDined on 7/3/2014The best scallops I've ever had. Attentive servers. Best lemondrop I'd ever had also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very unique experienceFromSeattleDined on 6/27/2014The Wilf's offers a truly romantic setting with live jazz music in downtown Portland, a walking distance for most hotels yet away from the traffic background noise. From the moment, we walked in, my date and I were treated like VIP's and catered for with courtesy and thoughtfulness. I highly recommend the Cafe Diablo (for two people) that John, the Maitre D, will prepare at your table with panache and a sense of humor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music was greatluv2eatDined on 6/21/2014The music was great and a nice add. The food was average and priced about 2x what it should have been. Next time I will stick to the bar menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great old style continentalFoodLuvrDined on 6/18/2014Classic food in a classic setting. There is a place for these old style restaurants, even in the midst of the foodie revolution going on in Portland. The live jazz is excellent. As old restaurants go, it looks a little worn, but the sense of history really enhances the experience. They serve classics like tableside preparation of Caesar salad and cherries jubilee. I had both, they were excellent. Service is top notch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Host, Good foodfoodiepdxDined on 6/12/2014The host at Wilf's is super attentive and considerate. Our food was delicious, especially the homemade feta/jalepeno bread! The only negative on food was that the desserts seemed small despite regular prices ($9 for a mini-creme brulee) - have seen bigger dishes at same prices elsewhere. But we got some complimentary chocolate almonds for our anniversary (Why we were out) so that was nice.Special Features:
- So-soQuicksdrawDined on 6/10/2014Well over priced for adequate food. The service was very good and the waiter friendly. The chairs were uncomfortable and dirty (food smears on the cloth). We all heard the waiter tell us the special was a certain cut of steak smothered in crab meat... Obviously he was mistaken as the steak had a dollop of a bleu cheese concoction on top. I think there's better restaurants in Portland for the price.
- The following 259 reviews are from the Wilf's Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- It was okFood4lifeDined on 5/31/2014First thing we noticed we were the youngest couple in the place(I'm 52 ) average was probably 70 plus. Music was fine old not to loud. Wilfs is little run down the chairs were old and tattered. No excitement among staff. The ceaser salad was good made at the table. I had the special a Rib Eye steak with a Cajun spice is was ok not much flavor. My girlfriend had the seafood trio Scallops,shrimp and crab good flavor. Overall disappointed with the menu. Probably wouldn't recommend to friend who was foodie.Special Features:
- Great EntertainmentpdxdinerVIPDined on 5/31/2014So much fun to have a cocktail and intimate entertainment. The band and singer were terrific. Dinner was quite good. I will return.Special Features:
- We came for the music...giddyupgoDined on 5/31/2014We came for the music, and the food was great too. This was our 10th Anniversary celebration, and we enjoyed a fabulous meal. Several friends were there to listen to the music too, so we stayed late and had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming piece of historyDatenightVIPDined on 5/23/2014This restaurant is in the historic Union train station. The food is wonderful with a varied menu to please most in the party. Staff was knowledgeable and timely. Quiet romantic dining with a rail-like experience. Music in the lounge later can raise the noise level for late evening diners.Special Features:
- Table Side Performance!WebfunkVIPDined on 5/10/2014Caesar Salad, Steak Diane and Bananas a Foster all prepared at the table while the story of where these dishes started is shared.. Very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit pretentiousgottalovherDined on 5/3/2014the food was fine -- but we are not there to be 'educated' about food.
- Wilf's Dinner w/ band and singerwillowaussieDined on 4/30/2014We totally enjoyed Ron Steen, Joe and Jan Koenig. They were all wonderful. We loved the fact that the we could see outside as the curtains were up on the windows and the sunset was pretty as it was a beautiful sunny day. I have not been to Wilf's for many years. Last time they had a piano bar. Wonderful atmosphere and the service was fantastic. The food was not that good for the price we had to pay. Would have probably been better off with appetizers. There was no chicken on the dinner menu which is pretty much all I can eat. French Onion soup was very good though. I had Steak Diane and my husband had a Seafood Noodle mix, which was not much for him so he ate the rest of my meal. Dessert was fine.Special Features:
- jazz night outOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014my wife and I wanted a place to go to have a few drinks and listen to some nice jazz. Wilf's was the place. We enjoyed the atmosphere and the music of Devin Phillips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinnerlive4foodDined on 4/25/2014Service was outstanding. Great Ambience. Loved the tableside service (i.e. Steak Diane). Food was good. Would definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening at WilfsWhippetDined on 4/25/2014We enjoyed the evening out at Wilfs. The service for our group of five was excellent and attentive. The menu is expensive, but given the table side presentation and prep of the food (the superb Steak Diane is prepared table side) it is worth the expense. The waiters are intelligent and can be entertaining in their own right. We enjoyed a table next to the lounge and were impressed with the Tony Pacini Trio. The dinner and music being a compliment to the evening. And the dessert menu was unique.. the Orange Creme Brulee was a gem! We will be back for more LIVE music and will try the lounge menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite place!PammyDined on 4/19/2014This past weekend, we took my parents, who were visiting from Ohio, out to eat after attending an event. To this day, I don't remember a better meal, better service or a dinner that we are still all talking about. The waitstaff are professional, personable, fun, helpful and all of this comes with a very relaxed ambience. They take great care in ensuring that everything that can be done to enhance your experience is done. I have lived in Portland since the early 90's, and truly think that Wilf's is one of Portland's top five restaurants.Special Features:
- Super ExperienceEater10000VIPDined on 4/19/2014We brought several friends this time. As usual, we shared the mushroom bread pudding, which is remarkable. For appetizers, we all tried salads and one had the french onion soup. For entrees, we tried much of the entrees. The favorites were the pasta, salmon & steak diane (made tableside). Overall, the experience was very good, particularly with a live jazz band playing in the bar.Special Features:
- An old-school gemMichelleGDined on 3/28/2014Wilf's is a perfect example of Mad Men era style with a modern update. The classic style and service are enhanced by forward-thinking chefs who use locally sourced and sustainable ingredients. The menu has been updated to include separate vegan and vegetarian menus. The service is always friendly and the table side prep of certain items is a fun option. The bar menu is also notable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceCindDined on 3/26/2014Great service! Very attentive staff. Food was excellent as well as its presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but far too expensive.AbrahamNRDined on 3/14/2014The food is good, the service is exceptional. But with even the small little food cart offering "organic, sustainable food made from scratch" there really is no reason to pay these exorbitant prices, because frankly, while the food here is good, there are numerous places in this city where the quality of the food is much better. This is a place for the 0.001%.Special Features:
- GRRRRREAThaddittDined on 3/14/2014I went for the March dining special. It was wonderful. The service is SUPERB....I went to the restroom and came back to find the waiter had retreived my napkin from the floor and folded it back in its proper place beside my plate.....WOW. The food was all fresh and locally raised...YUM YUMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.