117 West Pender Street
Vancouver, BC V6B1S4Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wildricevancouver.com/
- Phone: 6046422882
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Todd Bright
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a loft that can hold up to 30 guests. Furnished with a combination of couches, coffee tables & bar stools it is definitely a space for mingling. Custom menus available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Andrew Wong 604-642-2882
- Cross Street: Abbott
- Public Transit: Transit stops in either direction including a stop directly in front. Skytrain Stadium Station is just steps away down Abbott St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking is available along Beatty, Abbott and Pender just east of Wild Rice. There are numerous parking lots within walking distance due to our close proximity to General Motors place.
A word from Wild Rice
Wild Rice is a socially conscious restaurant serving modern Chinese cuisine in Vancouver's historic Chinatown. Opened in 2001 (Year of the Snake), Wild Rice offers a dining experience that is unique in Canada and perhaps, the world. Situated literally on the east meets west cross roads on the edge of Vancouver’s Old Chinatown, Wild Rice is also a place where the FAR EAST MEETS THE YOUNGEST PART OF THE NEW WORLD ON THE PACIFIC RIM OF NORTH AMERICA. Owner Andrew Wong has been passionate about, and committed to, sustainable, local food and business practices long before they became a trend. Wild Rice epitomizes the exciting cultural mixes that are informing Vancouver and leading the way for the rest of the continent. Housed in a sleek contemporary room with Asian accents, Wild Rice presents dishes that BLEND ANCIENT TRADITION WITH LOCAL, SUSTAINABLE AND ORGANIC INGREDIENTS to provide innovative modern Chinese cuisine in a contemporary setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Wild Rice reviews from OpenTable diners
- Just horrible in every waySimonFVIPDined on 7/5/2013For 5 minutes the hostess could not find our reservation as she clicked on the computer. We were finally seated and then ignored for 25 minutes as three other couples who came after us were served. The staff were completely disorganized. The food when it finally arrived was bland and the portions were tiny. This place thinks itself as "too cool for school" but it's incredibly expensive for the quality and size of the meals. Best to avoid this restaurant.
- Always a good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2013Wild Rice is a regular on our dining out choices. The location is great for a nice meal before a concert or football game. It's fairly quiet, which we like. The food is always good and service friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBarbVIPDined on 6/30/2013We went here for dinner before a movie across the road. Had the most delicious Chile Tofu, Kung Pao Chicken and Braised Beef Chinatown Sweep dishes. Amazing flavours. Service was ok but not very attentive likely because it was a slow night and waiter kept walking to the back of the restaurant likely to chat with other staff in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemLuvWildRiceDined on 6/23/2013Wild Rice is a great restaurant, not to be missed. The food is delicious, served in smaller proportions that are perfect for sharing. Highly recommended.WeI will be back there soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for small plate sharing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2013We dined here before a show at the QE, perfect place for small plate sharing, food is creative and delicious, I recommend the chinatown sweep noodles - outstanding! Service was attentive and friendly, cosy atmosphere.Special Features:
- two thumbs downfoodieDined on 6/18/2013what has happened to this restaurant?? I was here recently and very disappointed in the food. We ordered a number of options and they were bland and uninteresting. The waiter gave good service but was not at all knowledgeable about the wine list. I will not be returning.
- MediocreSeafoodLoverDined on 5/21/2013Had been there a couple of years ago and enjoyed the experience. On last visit to Vancouver we visited again and took some guests. Big mistake. Service was very poor and food mediocre at best. Could have had a better meal in to foodcourt at the mall across the street. Dissapointing.
- First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/19/2013This is the first time we had been, but it was wonderful. The food was fantastic, the venue was small and intimate, and the service was great! We will for sure be going back :)Special Features:
- another great meal at wild riceHungry4PastaVIPDined on 5/11/2013we ordered siu mi, ma-po tofu, and sauteed mushrooms. all good! seasonally fresh menu!Special Features:
- Vegan or not, it's all greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2013Everything is so flavorful and satisfying, regardless of whether nor not its vegan. A great choice when trying to satisfy those on gluten-free or vegan diets (we are neither). Two blocks from Rogers Arena but reservation a must when there's an event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where to go before the opera!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/7/2013A group of us that regularly attend the opera like to go for dinner beforehand and decided that we would go to Wild Rice. The food was great, the service was excellent, we were able to order, be served and consume in a timely fashion that left us not feeling rushed or hurried. Wild Rice made a wonderful start of the evening and we had a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stuff!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Great selection for Vegetarian options. Totally enjoyable and not unreasonably priced. No hesitation in recommending this nor will I hesitate to go there again.
- Tapas a bit skimpy. MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2013Tapas a bit skimpy. Menu did not have enough choices. Okay for after theater or movie but I wouldn't come for dinner.Special Features:
- My big problem was menu related.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/23/2013My big problem was menu related. Specifically, I'm a vegan and came because the menu online said there were vegan options. However one vegan option came with cream cheese so I didn't eat it. Later. I asked about the shanghai noodle. The waiter told me it was on egg noodle. Egg is vegetarian. Egg is not vegan. If rice noodle was used. It would be vegan. The service was great but the menu needs a bit of work.
- Delicious and NutritiousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2013Excellent food - as always. Do yourself a favour and have Polenta fries. I enjoy the small portions that allow diners to try a nice variety of items - get guidance from the knowledgeable staff as to items that go well together, popular dishes, etc. Steamed mixed vegetables sounds pretty boring right? It wasn't - this vegan got 30% of her daily iron & calcium and 2 days worth of vitamin C from some Crazy-tasty spinach, snow peas & broccoli. I have to know what was in there, just a touch of salty/savoury. Delicious.Special Features:
- Our waiter was very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2013Our waiter was very friendly and gave us some great recommendations from the menu!Special Features:
- Love the food, just alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/17/2013Love the food, just always find the room a bit cold and uninspiring.Special Features:
- This was my third time atMarieDined on 4/13/2013This was my third time at Wild Rice. The restaurant is always an enjoyable place to go for cocktails and asian style tapas dishes before taking in a film across the street. The staff are always attentive and they ensure the food arrives hot and fresh.Special Features:
- Great little find for a pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013Great little find for a pre-theatre dinner. We were in quite early so not super busy or loud. They actually take a booking which was helpful. Food very tasty. Vege spring rolls, Ahi Tuna, Vege (gyoza) but they are called something else. Hot and Sour soup a little too much vinegar for me but my friends enjoyed it. Wine on the slightly expensive side for the pour size. Waitress was great, very efficient with great sense of humour. Will definitely return to try more on the menu and not have to rush out so quickly.
- Food was great and lots ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/2/2013Food was great and lots of good vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Food was decent. The springSadruDined on 3/29/2013Food was decent. The spring rolls, sticky soy wings and Kung Po chicken were really good! Sauce for spring rolls was puny and think could benefit from a little more heat! Lamb pot stickers didn't impress, flavour did not surface at all. Polenta fries could benefit by adding more flavour/spice to it or complementing it with a dipping sauce that would complement and enhance to overall taste. The china town sweep with braised rib was not bad, for us, could have benefited from a little more spice with a slight kick. Will try the Wild Rice in N. West.
- As a group of seven peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013As a group of seven people for dinner from 6-7:30 Saturday, we had the small upstairs to ourselves. The service was excellent, the food was great, the martinis were tasty. The dessert, vegan Callebaut chocolate pudding with poached pear was fantastic, the highlight for me!Special Features:
- Great food, delivered hotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/19/2013Great food, delivered hot and fresh and in a timely manner. Great location close to Rogers arena events.Special Features:
- So-so...DanielleDined on 3/16/2013Great spot to eat before a Canucks game. The doors open at 5 so we were one of the first tables to be seated, the room filled up quickly. Our server was a bit forgetful and had a of an attitude, which diminished the experience obviously. I can't say if that's a regular thing or if it was just an "off" night. I had the much-hyped spicy peanut Kung Pao (with shikatani mushrooms and vegetables). While the dish was very tasty (even though it wasn't really spicy), it was 95% rice noodles, with hardly any vegetables or mushrooms. If you're looking for major carbs, this is the dish, if you're looking for a well rounded, healthier dish, this is probably not the best choice. I was a bit disappointed. Otherwise, Wild Rice has a cool, casual v
- FeedbackOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2013This was my third or forth time at Wild Rice. The food did not meet my expectations. With all the choices we have in Vancouver, the food MUST improve to get me back to Wild Rice. Great service, nice atmosphere. Brenda
- I've wanted to come try outjcpooVIPDined on 3/9/2013I've wanted to come try out this restaurant for the last 4 years, but unfortunately was quite disappointed with the menu choice, taste, and value....
- Food was not that great andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Food was not that great and portion was very small for the price. Great service!
- Food was great. Lots of veganOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Food was great. Lots of vegan options. The service was friendly, however so slow. Make sure you have time to wait.Special Features:
- Can't recommend this spottyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/2/2013Can't recommend this spotty because it is inconsistent. Sometimes it is good and othertimes not. Service on our recent visit was near non-existent. Perhaps understaffed? Some dishes were very good, others not. Ambiance and location are good.
- The range of food optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/1/2013The range of food options was creative, tasty, and perfect for sharing. Smart decor and warm lighting. A cohesive service staff that works together to make sure all customers are looked after. Without much fanfare, Wild Rice has managed to maintain its high standards.Special Features:
- Even with a limited menu,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013Even with a limited menu, they ran out of several dishes early in the evening.
- I used to LOVE wild rice,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2013I used to LOVE wild rice, unfortunately it isn't as good as it used to be. Food not nearly as fresh and tasty, a bit tired and my potstickers were burnt. Hot n soursoup still great!
- Not a good dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/15/2013Not a good dining experience. The food was marginal at best.
- The food was tasteless. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The food was tasteless. The tuna tataki (seared albacore) was well done in stead of tataki. The ling cod was undercooked. The noodles had no taste. The soup was just rice vinegar and hot sauce with hardly any ingredients in it just a few slivers of veggies.
- Not much, if anything changesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013Not much, if anything changes at this great place. Of course there is no need to, but many other restaurants change things just for the sake of change. It is nice that the Wild Rice is consistent in their food, their delivery, their service and their ambiance. It is all top quality for an excellent value.Special Features:
- My first impression when steppingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/13/2013My first impression when stepping into the restaurant was that it was cold and it is a very unpleasant feeling when one is sitting down for a long period of time. Other than that, we had a honest meal, served in a friendly and professional manner.Special Features:
- We always enjoy Wild Rice.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/9/2013We always enjoy Wild Rice. Service friendly and relaxed. Food superb!Special Features:
- Our group of six was lookingbraveheartDined on 2/5/2013Our group of six was looking for somewhere interesting to go following a movie at International Village. This dark, quiet spot was an excellent choice. The Dine Out menu was outstanding value and utterly delicious. The service was faultless and friendly but not overbearing. Within our group of six, everyone raved about their own menu choices.I would recommend this restaurant and would definitely return.Special Features:
- Poor exper. this time at Wild RiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2013WR has been a good restaurant and relatively predictable. Our Dine Out meal, was one of the worst I have had anywhere at anytime. There were 3 Dine Out choices to start, 3 mains and 3 desserts. The seafood chowder to start was excellent. But ALL of the mains were horrible. They were flavourless yet too salty. One dish had to be sent back because of the salt. Later at home we found ourselves drinking more water... a sure sign of the sodium content in the food. The mushroom main course was mushrooms mixed with MACCARONI ... imagine going to an Asian fusion restaurant and paying for a maccaroni dish? I did not finish my chocolate pudding dessert... another disappointment.Special Features:
- I have been to this restarantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2013I have been to this restarant a few times before and always enjoyed the energy,food amd ambiance - not there on Saturday - a little disappointing.