Wild Note Cafe
143 S. Cedros Ave.
Solana Beach, CA 92075Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Wild Note Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://wildnotecafe.com/
- Phone: (858) 720-9000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Izzy Balderas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options are available.
- Entertainment: Available next door at the Belly Up.
- Public Transit: We are located in the heart of the Solana Beach Cedros Design District, within walking distance of the Amtrack Station. Also, just two blocks off the 101, Wild Note Cafe is located near a bus stop.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking andoff-street lots are available.
A word from Wild Note Cafe
As part of the world renowned Belly Up, The Wild Note Café is a neighborhood bistro style restaurant with exceptional atmosphere, exciting food & excellent service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Wild Note Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)great for outdoor dining (8)fit for foodies (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)special occasion (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great place to eat in Solana Beach.MindyLZDined on 11/14/2014We enjoyed the food and ambiance at this local spot in Solana Beach. The food was very tasty and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food at a slowww pace...MaceyDined on 10/20/2014The Wild Note is attached to and part of the same ownership as the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach. I have eaten there quite a few times and while the food is pretty decent, at times even good, the service is consistently pretty bad. It's always surprising to me how bad the service is, as the restaraunt is very small, and usually has several servers. It is the perfect place for a pre-concert dinner. Go there for dinner and you have a good parking spot for the show. Just don't expect much in the way of efficient, quick service with a smile... FYI, serves a nice slow lunch as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Very good food and service in a quaint shopping area. Moderately priced as well compared to some of the other local options!Special Features:
- Especially FreshyonenaDined on 10/16/2014Wild Note Cafe associated with Belly Up Music scene is a local gem. If you go early, it is quiet and you can enjoy the ambiance. Sitting outside is a window into this funky neighborhood and inside you can enjoy all the local folks at the bar or other diners. Food, as always, was very good. We particularly enjoyed the lobster dumplings and the salmon...all fresh and good.Special Features:
- great before a showadasawVIPDined on 10/13/2014Attached to the Belly Up; food was very good and service was excellent. Food came out quickly...almost too fast since we were killing time! Would definitely eat here again before going to a show at the Belly Up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dine here before going next doorSteveWVIPDined on 10/8/2014We dined at 6 p.m. on a Tuesday evening. Most of the diners were having an early dinner before going next door to the Belly Up for the evening's musical entertainment. Food was tasty. Service was a little harried as only two or three staff tried to serve the full house of diners. Restaurant opens at 11 a.m. and closes mid-week at 9 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays at 11 p.m. Reservations are highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate food experiencemsminimalistDined on 9/26/2014This used to be a great place for lunch. The street has such character, and the restaurant was part of that. And, the food was good, and interesting. No more. I was embarrassed, having 4 guests with me, that the food was so bland and uninteresting. How can tacos and stir fry be served with no seasonings at all? Don't know what happened, but i'll not do dinner there again. Probably not lunch, either.
- Great experienceIkesDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I dined there for the first time recently. We did the San Diego Restaurant Week fixed price dinner. We each liked the food very much. We had lobster dumpling and calamari appetizers. They were outstanding. The entrees were very good and we especially liked the Mahi Mahi fish taco plate. It was cool to be able to build our own from the plate. The Jack Daniel pie for dessert was a standout ! We will be back. Service was very good - attentive, but not too much so.Special Features:
- First visit in awhileASCII45VIPDined on 9/14/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our return visit to Wild Note Cafe this past weekend after the Fall Home/Garden Show. The mustard-crusted salmon is just as delicious as I remember, and paired perfectly with the bottle of Hitching Post Pinot Noir. The chocolate/peanut butter ice cream dessert was amazing, as were the chips and guacamole. Great service, too. We won't wait so long to come back next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wild NoteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014We had a good meal and even though there was a party of ten next to us we got served relatively fast. Very convenient to The Belly Up which we were going to after dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VmsacDined on 8/21/2014Great when attending an event at belly up as u get into club first for show!Special Features:
- Good timeJimFDined on 8/19/2014The Wild Note is a great place to eat, particularly when headed to a Belly Up concert. There is a back door to the venue giving you a jump on the line outside Belly Up. The food is good. Liked the Filet Mignon Sliders with sweet potato fries. Service was good the night I was there. Prices ar OK, not cheap, but not outrageous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Wild Note Cafe reviews archive.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2014Food was great just struggled a little with service..:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice timeGamsNEggsVIPDined on 4/15/2014It was lovely, and I recognized my server from when I moved to town in 1997, but I've been gone, so she didn't recognize me, hence I was marked as not showing up...Special Features:
- No other restaurant on Cedros AvenuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2014This restaurant is the only sit down dinner venue on all of Cedros Avenue. Unfortunately that means the monopoly beats all quality and parameters for proper rating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food-good. Service-bad!TaylorDined on 3/26/2014My friend and I had dinner at The Wild Note before a show we were seeing at The Belly Up. We arrived nearly two hours before the show- plenty of time. We had to ask the bus person for our waitress twice... Once to order after sitting for over fifteen minutes waiting for our wine to be brought to the table and to order, and again for our bill. The Calamari appetizer was good. The Caesar Salad was very bland and actually tasteless, unfortunately. We finally received our bill barely ten minutes prior to show time. We were never asked whether or not we were trying to catch the show, which I would think would be one of the waitstaff's first questions there, particularly since the restaurant is a part of the Belly Up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a Belly Up concertbillDined on 2/16/2014The Belly Up can sellout and parking in the area is at a premium. Go early, have a dinner and have some wine at the Wild Note. Good food, fair prices, side entrance to the concert. Very Convenient !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place to go beforechshottVIPDined on 2/13/2014Wonderful place to go before a concert at the belly up. Good food and a fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good preconcert optionbayview19Dined on 1/25/2014The food was good, but a bit overpriced for the quantity you get in return. The mahi sliders were tasty, but small and not filling enough for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve meal....touristsHappyshopperDined on 12/31/2013Booked the a Wild Note after reading reviews here, they didn't hv a child's menu but staff very accommodating. They provided half portions if they could and offered pasta & few plain choices! From 3 course $35 menu, ahi mango roll & Caesar salad. Bacon wrapped scallops, crusted chicken, kids had tandoori chicken & sliders, every dish was presented beautifully & was absolutely delicious.banana chocolate fudge cake & my cheesecake, delish! I totally recommend this place, the food and service is top notch, Go there if you are in Solana beach! Ooh and just to add there is a music venue next door adds a bit of atmosphere but not so noisy !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belly Up Tavern PrecursorBobbyDined on 12/8/2013Wild Note Cafe is a great place for dinner before seeing a show at Belly Up Tavern.One can feel the excitement in the dining room about the upcoming showl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDaleDined on 11/7/2013Four of us decided to hit the Wild Note before a Belly Up concert. Although service right after we were seated was VERY slow, once things picked up we were extremely pleased with our decision. The appetizers were very tasty (although not huge or really suitable for large groups/sharing. All four of us raved about our main courses; in particular, the sea bass was FABULOUS as was the salmon. We will definitely return to this wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Little PlaceGregVIPDined on 10/25/2013Small and tucked in next to the Belly Up Tavern it provide a place for food and quiet conversation with limited outdoor seating. There is a substantial gluten-free menu with a number of great selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dine before a showXta42VIPDined on 9/14/2013We always eat here before a show at the Belly Up. The food and service are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good though the lastOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/24/2013Food was good though the last time it wasn't quite as good as usual. Wine list was overpriced and you're better to stick with beer. Nice little neighborhood gem with some unique items on the menu. Enjoyable and would be good for most anyone.Special Features:
- Dinner before Anuhea showOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2013Service was very prompt and friendly. Went with the lobster mac and cheese, and the wife had the mixed seafood grill. Hers was small, but great. With mine, the lobster was plentiful, but the mac and cheese itself wasn't as good. It was very runny and thin and the flavor wasn't very cheesy...almost seemed like they diluted it with milk. I guess I prefer my mac and cheese to be gooey and brimming with cheese. More of 3-1/2 stars, but I'll round up to four overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before a concertOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2013Great place before you hit the Belly up for a concert. The food is good and the servers are super nice. No complaints!Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2013Had the Tandoori Chicken (recommended by our server) as well as the Edamame. Everything was yummy and perfect for a pre-show meal! The service was great - made sure our water glasses were full and very friendly without being pushy. We spent quite some time sitting and enjoying our wine and never felt like we were being rushed out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place b4 a show @ Belly UpXta42VIPDined on 7/28/2013Must make a reservation before a show. Food is good, our waiter was fantastic. He had a great attitude and was very cheerful. It is the only way to see a show at the Belly Up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeBlondyinCADined on 7/12/2013It's great for a good glass of wine and dinner before seeing a show at Belly Up. Food was so yummy and they have a great selection of wine. I love the outdoor patio (when it's not too hot). It's a small place, but worth it. Lobster dumpling appetizer is awesome. When it gets busy it is very loud because it's such a small place, so the patio is perfect seating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner, too!MJS3Dined on 5/16/2013I've enjoyed many wonderful lunches at Wild Note Cafe, this was the first time I've been there for dinner. I messed up my OpenTable reservation, made it for Thursday instead of Friday, but amazingly when we showed up a little after 7 they were able to accommodate a group of 6, very impressive. Everyone loved their meals, I had the shrimp and lobster enchiladas which were to die for. Service was efficient and friendly....all good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Connected to Belly Up BarOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013Connected to Belly Up Bar which has great concerts. Food was greatSpecial Features:
- The special was fish and chips.LollyVIPDined on 5/1/2013The special was fish and chips. Dry. Service not great Pricey for quality of food Just convenient to Belly Up
- Food was excellent and veryArleneDined on 4/13/2013Food was excellent and very well priced. Love that the corkage fee is only $15.00. Will go back for that reason!!!Special Features:
- A Neighborhood Gemluv2eatoutDined on 3/18/2013A lovely spot to compliment the following concert at the Belly UP Tavern. We split a salad and generous sized "sliders" and enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine. Dessert topped off the delightful dinner and we were pleasantly set for the evening concert. We will be back again with friends! Servers were warm, helpful and very welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I always enjoy Wild Note.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/13/2013I always enjoy Wild Note. Perfect location in Cedros Design District for daytime shopping stop, or before a show at Belly Up. The food offerings are unique and always tasty.Special Features:
- Great pre-concert hangout and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Great food and pre- concert hangout venue! We took a bit to decide on what to order. The waitress had come over a few times but when we were ready to order couldn't find her and had to get another waitress? She was attentive after that!Special Features:
- good food but deafening musicBRuthDined on 3/8/2013We have eaten here several times and enjoyed it. We were hoping for a quiet, romantic dinner, but the rock music from the theater was deafening, and the quieter patio was closed off for a private event. The food is very good, but the stress from the noise detracted from our ability to enjoy or even taste.
- Before show at Belly UpOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/7/2013If you're going to a concert at the Belly Up, it's a great spot to have a bite to eat before the show.Special Features:
- I made the mistake of orderingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2013I made the mistake of ordering tandoori chicken-what was I thinking? this is not an indian restaurant and no tandoor oven in sight. Basically chicken breast with some curry spice. Average meal. The restaurant was busy as is normal when a band is playing, it is a loudish restaurant. Nothing to get excited about.