Wickets Bistro - Bernardus Lodge
415 W Carmel Valley Rd
Carmel Valley, CA 93924Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Wickets Bistro - Bernardus Lodge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bernarduslodge.com/
- Phone: 8316583400x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Californian
- Executive Chef: Cal Stamenov
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Bernardus Lodge can accommodate groups of 10 to 150 for retreats, meetings, special events and weddings in more than 4,000 square feet of flexible meeting and banquet space and 5,000 square feet of beautifully landscaped outdoor space. A two-acre garden ringed by rose bushes is an idyllic backdrop for an outdoor wedding. A maximum of one wedding per day ensures the ultimate attention to detail. Offsite catering and a professional catering consultant are also available for private parties and dinners.
- Private Party Contact: Kristin Clayton 8316583532x
- Entertainment: Friday and Saturday Nights enjoy a cocktail fireside in our elegant and comfortable Lobby while listening to the soothing piano of Martin Headman.
A word from Wickets Bistro - Bernardus Lodge
Those seeking a casual meal or beverage can find just that at Wickets Bistro, where Chef Cal Stamenov also presides. Guests can enjoy such savory bistro classics as Sonoma Chicken, Steak Frites and a range of fresh seafood. A feeling of intimacy is accentuated by photographs and mementos of Lodge creator, Holland native, Bernardus Pon’s Olympic and racecar driving feats. Al fresco dining takes place under a trellis on a patio that looks out on the resort’s manicured croquet lawn, with an outdoor fireplace for cooler weather. A full bar features live jazz on selected evenings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Wickets Bistro - Bernardus Lodge - Best Restaurants in Carmel Valley ›
Wickets Bistro - Bernardus Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (8)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (7)good for groups (6)romantic (5)scenic view (5)neighborhood gem (5)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014We've been to Brunch at Bernardus on several occasions and it's always a great experience...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- low key, casual but elegantPvpatDined on 9/30/2014We were not staying at the Lodge but were looking for a casual restaurant with good food. Wickets fit that bill perfectly. Their menu is not long, but it had enough menu choices to make it interesting and our dinners were excellently prepared. The setting outside by the fireplace was outstanding and we were able to take advantage of Carmel Valley's nice weather. We would definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicefoodieDined on 9/27/2014Outstanding service from Grace our server. The proper balance of attentiveness, knowledge and warmth.Special Features:
- Great GetawayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2014This was our umpteenth visit to Wicket's. It was meant to be a romantic getaway and it worked! We had a quiet table that allowed us just to talk at normal sound levels. Our waiter was highly attentive and responsive - no problems. Only issue is the menu, which has become very constrained and generally not too appealing except, perhaps, to foodies. Oh well, the french viognier-roussane was marvelous, however. Bring back the skirt steak, please!Special Features:
- Good lunchSaylorsVIPDined on 8/10/2014A group of us came for Sunday brunch, and were disappointed to find they did not serve brunch at 12:15pm on a Sunday. That being said, the lunch food and ambiance were lovely, but it would be great if Wickets extended their sunday brunch hours!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014uninspiring after years of being away. grounds/lavendar still beautiful. croquet court looks run downSpecial Features:
- Downgrading Coverage of WKTZWillVIPDined on 7/31/2014We used to look forward to dining here. Food from the same kitchen as its upscale cousin, what's not to like? A recent visit, however, indicates that WKTZ has lost its way. Despite tangy sauce, the roasted artichokes were stringy and underdone. The caesar was way overdressed. The quail was tough. Only the salmon on lentils was adequate. Wine menu is bimodal: you can get meh plonk for plenty, or you can blow a month's dining budget on one bottle of pretentious. The serving was done as repertory, and while one or two of the cast were wonderful, we hardly saw the same person twice from order to delivery. The check contained an overpricing on a drinks item, but by then I just wanted to get out on probation. Sayanora, WKTZ.
- WicketschloegirlDined on 7/10/2014Awesome. We ordered a variety of appetizers which were fantastic. Service was excellent. Delightful day, beautiful weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4th of July weekendFoodieDined on 7/3/2014Disappointed as service very slow & restaurant understaffed. Food took a long time. Sent artichoke back replaced with killer gazpacho which was better choice. Mussels & Tuna tartar delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 162 reviews are from the Wickets Bistro - Bernardus Lodge reviews archive.
- CharmingSwedeVIPDined on 6/14/2014This is a charming restaurant with excellent service and food. The weather is usually nice out in Carmel Valley, so enjoy lunch or an early dinner outside under the arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fantastic serviceSandelzVIPDined on 6/12/2014The setting and service were fantastic. Unfortunately the steak I ordered was quite overdone but they more than made up for that and actually were quite embarrassed. Will definitely eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luxury in Carmel ValleyMarkVIPDined on 6/6/2014If in Monterey for golf events, you must consider bringing wife and staying at this 5 star Spa hotel. Everything is over the top great. Enjoy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food nice outdoor diningCindyDined on 5/18/2014Great wines and excelkent food in a casual environment, have enjoyed it several times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice setting and good foodgetawaydayDined on 5/18/2014great place for a spa day and lunch with friends. friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Good EatsFoodEnvyVIPDined on 4/23/2014Great steak place. Food is simple but simply good. Small location. Not great for groups over 6 people. Reservation required on weekends if you want a table before 8pm.Special Features:
- A lovely retreat.51ChevyDined on 4/11/2014We were very pleased with Bernardus Lodge as a whole. Very lovely. We live in CV village and it does feel like you have gone to the wine country with home shockingly only a couple miles away. We have now tried both Marinas and Wickets. Marinas gets a 5 star rating in our book.! Wickets was nice but had a couple flaws. The female waitress was very good and competent but her demeanor could of been a little more humble, too edgy for my taste. But the rest of the staff was A+ they possessed the right quality of warmth. I loved what I ordered from Appetizer to salad to entree, all were amazing. But my husband was not thrilled with what he received, He wasnt even sure it was the right dish. Surprisingly the dining area was very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and serviceRickzVIPDined on 4/11/2014Everything we ate was tasty. The escargot souffle appetizer was delightful. The free range chicken was roasted and served with a nice garden salad. The plating was country style, a little less elegant than I expected considering some other comparably priced restaurants. One of my companions had the muscles which were mild and prepared just right. Another had tuna which was ordered medium but was rare in the middle. Overall, Wickets was very good but not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, Yet Again!girlgourmetVIPDined on 2/18/2014Lovely rather intimate space with tasty food, professionally served, in unrushed manner. Always patient with our slow cocktail time and small meals. One of our favorite local spots. Sitting by the fire in cozy lobby a real plus for folks with no fireplace at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really like spending timerestomanDined on 2/8/2014I really like spending time at Wickets. A close friend took me there a year or so ago and I have loved going there ever since. Me and my wife like to go there for special occasions. This one being an early valentines dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchCPO1Dined on 1/26/2014We had a nice table that accommodated 5 adults and a baby carrier on one chair. It was quiet and you could hear everyone. THe service was great and we really enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- We ate there two nights in a row!SFdinerDined on 1/10/2014The menu changes. It was delicious both nights. Wonderful staff. Creative menu items that work. Loved the escargot soufflé.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasionJesseDined on 1/4/2014Great food. Excellent vegetarian selections for one of our guests. Refined service. Great atmosphere for conversation while dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Day Disappointmenthappy1219VIPDined on 12/25/2013Probably my own fault for not calling directly instead of booking on Open Table. I was making last minute reservations for a stay in Carmel Valley over Christmas. We were staying at Carmel Valley Ranch (Christmas Eve dinner there was fabulous.) With few choices for Christmas Day, we wanted a more casual Christmas Day dinner than Marinus would have provided. Open Table only showed reservations available for 4:15 or 8:30 when I booked a week in advance. Not wanting to eat so late we chose 4:15. Arrived to a totally empty dining room, which stayed that way until after 6. Only menu was the limited bar menu. Food is good, but this is the second big disappointment when eating at Wickets and we won't go back.Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningDavidSunnyvaleDined on 12/25/2013We had a family lunch on Christmas Day. The weather was spectacular which highlighted how nice it was to sit outside and enjoy very good food in such a relaxing well appointed environment. The food was very well prepared and served in a very timely manner. Everyone on the staff was friendly and professional. Meat was great, seafood was great. The only reason I can't give 5 stars was the Couscous was not traditional and resulted in my daughter not eating it. This is the second time that we have ordered something from the menu expecting one thing but receiving a chefs interpretation of the dish which disappointed us, not from the quality, but from the missed expectations. I would recommend a clear description of the dish before ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service a bit fragmented…weepollypaulDined on 11/30/2013service a bit fragmented…we were not sure who our main server was….we kept having to as our bus server to find our server…maybe they were busy in banquet room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Far better and less noiseyDuncDined on 10/29/2013Far better and less noisey than other top-notch bistros. It is not inexpensive, but food and service were outstanding. We will return.Special Features:
- MimaMimaDined on 10/22/2013We ate at Wickets again tonight. My husband and I shared a pizza that was excellent. I had the grilled quail that was perfectly done. The staff made us feel very special. We will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimaMimaDined on 10/22/2013The escargot suffle and scallops dinner was excellent. The waiter and hostess were very attentive. We were given a table in front of the fireplace. It was a cold night but the heaters around us kept us very confortableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a casual lunchLeslieDined on 10/5/2013Wickets is the casual restaurant at Bernardus Lodge. But casual does not mean careless. Staff is helpful and attentive. For lunch, I felt the menu was somewhat limited. I had the prime rib salad, which was thin strips of beef over a mixed greens salad. The resort really shines with its emphasis on locally grown food so the salad was very fresh and very good. Your best experience is on a sunny day with little wind so you can sit outside at one of the many umbrella'd tables or under the sheer canopy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not be any better!BabsVIPDined on 9/18/2013My friend and I went to Wickets to celebrate both of our birthdays. The service was absolutely outstanding! The food is so good and the menu is so interesting we wanted to order almost everything on it. We didn't have time to try everything we wanted so we will be back very soon. The atmosphere is so peaceful and charming - it feels like you are in Europe surrounded by beautiful flowers and gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesB1B1Dined on 8/31/2013We have enjoyed many good meals at Wickets. The Portabella Mushroom soup is absolutely other worldly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2013Great food but seriously lacking service. We wanted a leisurely lunch but it was too leisurely. Took them forever to get us our bill and one of the pizzas we ordered was supposed to have arugula, but didn't. Our waiter never came by to ask how everything was. It's a great spot if you aren't in a hurry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ExperienceLuv2dineDined on 7/30/2013At first blush this place could seem a little pretentious, referring to our Server who could not crack a full smile. . However, when put to the test (returning a plate, twice), there was genuine care in getting it right and they did. Four employees, including the Hostess, someone from behind the scenes, the outdoor Hostess and our Server apologized and confirmed that they were getting it right. The outdoor dining area is very comfortable. It overlooks the crochet wickets, hence the name. It is quiet. People spoke softly. The fresh cut garden roses in the lobby is worth a pause. The scent dreamy. The homemade ice cream was a delightful bonus, Lemon Verbena, Banana Walnut and Chocolate. A well done property and lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as always! I neverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2013Perfect as always! I never miss Bernardus when visiting Carmel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even though we live in theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2013Even though we live in the area this was the first time we have been here. We were very impresses with all aspects of our experience with the food being acceptional. We had a lovely evening!Special Features:
- Lovely atmosphere, delicious dinnerAbeilleVIPDined on 7/6/2013Quaint, yet elegant spot for well-prepared meals. The escargot souffle is our favorite appetizer. Manila clams were on the menu too. We are very fond of Bernardus wines, so we thoroughly enjoyed a glass of Marinus and their wonderful chardonnays. Would return in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- DisappointedolfroxVIPDined on 7/3/2013Wickets’ casual dining menu used to offer a nice alternative to the more elegant cuisine of Marinus and, because we live nearby, we’ve enjoyed and appreciated both restaurants often. Sadly, during our most recent experience, we felt that Wickets is becoming a mini-Marinus, with menu items that are more esoteric, less casual and nearly as expensive. With such a fine chef at the helm, we think a greater difference in the menus might be considered.Special Features:
- Special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/16/2013We wanted to celebrate a special occasion at Bernadus Lodge. We made reservation online, noted our special occasion and read the menu carefully.The table was in a busy location, right by the walk way, and right in the sun - only our confused faces made them bring over an umbrella. The waitress had an 'just doing her job' attitude and it showed. The menu did not have the items on it that it had on line. When my child dropped a fork, I had to ask for a new one and it took a good few minutes before it was replaced. My wine had cork remnants in it. The food was good, the lemonade great but the dinner was not worth the cost - there are plenty of places as pretty in the area that has GREAT service and GREAT food. Nothing special!
- Great Spotrstew17Dined on 5/24/2013A must check out spot the next time you are in Carmel Valley.Special Features:
- Excellent food/ambiance, but noisyPeteDined on 5/24/2013Very good dining experience, great food and wine, however noise level indoors was quite high, which made it difficult to communicate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.