50 Hillside Drive
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.westinmammoth.com/Whitebark
- Phone: (760) 934-0460
- Hours of Operation:
Poolside Lunch: 11am-6pm, beginnning June 28, 2014 through Labor Day
Unwind (Happy Hour): 4pm-6pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Tyler Bessette
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a party or special event? Please contact Whitebark for information on planning weddings, parties, retreats and all other catering needs.
- Entertainment: The Westin's signature 'Unwind' ritual, where guests meet for a refreshing experience to journey from day to night.
A word from Whitebark
Located just off the lobby, our in-house restaurant, Whitebark features innovative dining options. A contemporary ambiance and great views of Mammoth’s soothing surroundings set the atmosphere for any occasion. A welcoming fire burns warmly in the center of the open, airy space inspired by our country’s national parks. Enjoy a full meal from the innovative menu, or simply stop by for evening drinks at the lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Whitebark - Best Restaurants in Mammoth ›
Whitebark reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (5)fit for foodies (4)scenic view (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)good for groups (2)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Exceptional serviceTeaSnobVIPDined on 10/25/2014Staff went out of their way for us, from the hotel desk clerk who opened the parking garage when I inquired if there was an alternative to valet parking, to the busboy who saw me standing in front of the fireplace and came over to ask if I was cold and would like the fire turned up (I wasn't, just enjoying the fire). Our waiter also attentive, describing the dining choices well & very nicely checked the World Series score for my husband. To be fair, it was a very quiet fall night before ski season; I wouldn't expect the self-parking option otherwise. For starters, my spouse enjoyed the gazpacho;I was less happy with the grilled (unripe) peach salad - in retrospect, a poor Oct. choice. We shared the CAB Beef Tenderloin, which was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not excitedprincessp66Dined on 10/21/2014The food was good. I would not go there again. The menu was limited. The bisson short ribs still had the sheath that you usually remove before cooking, the risotto was, in my opinion, undercooked. The mac and cheese was good but for white cheddar and truffle oil I would rather be writing outstanding. Just lacked the expectation for a Westin Hotel.Special Features:
- Great foodMM25VIPDined on 10/4/2014Food was good. We got some sample of sushi from the chef, that was great and delicious . We order salmon , was delicious. All the restaurant staffers where very friendly. I will recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whitebark RestaurantVivSVIPDined on 9/27/2014I tried this restaurant. The presentation of the food was really great. The food taste was nice. I was not extra impressed by what I had. I think the cost for food was too high for what I got.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ambiance, horrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Unfortunately, this was my "nice birthday dinner" and first time in Mammoth Lakes. I loved the ambiance, and the wait staff was incredible, but the food was really poor. We had what seemed like microwaved Brussels Sprouts and my steak was watery and undercooked...I couldn't even eat itSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/13/2014Like others, I suppose, who enjoy the restaurants of Bay Area, it is a challenge to go to recreation sites in California and not feel at dinner time that you're back in the Midwest. The menu here sounded great, but the execution was very disappointing. The greens on the grilled peach salad were wilted and under-dressed, and the salad was cold and tasted like it had been prepared several hours earlier and then stored under plastic wrap in the refrigerator. The seared Ahi was barely warm, as if it had been finished ten minutes before plating. Desserts are probably better at Denny's.
- ImpressedCaroolVIPDined on 8/11/2014We came to celebrate our anniversary. My husband made a request for a special dark chocolate dessert. Not only did they make something special, they did not charge us for it. We were happy with our food and service. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- MehledzecVIPDined on 8/2/2014Really nothing to write home about. My seared tuna was inedible due to over seasoning. Everything else was only ok, especially for the price.Special Features:
- The following 66 reviews are from the Whitebark reviews archive.
- Too expensive for what you getOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014Typical for fancy mountain cuisine: too expensive for what you get. My husband ordered the salmon and it was bland and over cooked. I ordered vegetarian and it was underwhelming.
- Beautiful atmosphereout4funDined on 4/4/2014Excellent service. Interesting menu items. The waitress recommend a dish off menu and it was wonderful, beet salad with grilled salmon on top. Incredible wine list with incredibly high prices, when I asked the waitress about a particular wine, she offered a taste which really made me feel comfortable about my purchase (I decided on a different wine, the Migration Pinot Noir was outstanding!). My husband had the lobster mac and cheese and although it was good, felt the Yard House does it better. Beautiful and interesting décor, great views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad place for dinnerTwrcVIPDined on 3/28/2014Great place for lunch but would never go back for dinner there. If you want excellent food and dining experience go to Petra's nearby.Special Features:
- Great Food - Poor AccousticsVeggiespleaseVIPDined on 3/22/2014Food was very good and, although the menu is very light on vegetarian options, the veggie lasagna was excellent - creative and not the typical cheese and Béchamel laden, but a lively collection of roasted vegetables with thin strips of pasta. My companion loved her pork dish. The service was very good. But - we were first seated in a room behind the bar with appalling acoustics. It was intolerably loud (due to large party); however, we were seated near the bar quickly. We are often in Mammoth - and will be back.
- Mammoth diningPdittyDined on 3/7/2014Rating the food very good considering the location, in Mammoth, not known for great food. Great interior, unfortunately full of hard surfaces which made the experience super loud and noisy. Worth the visit though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whitebark dinner approx 5X/year.GallopingGourmetDined on 3/6/2014Whitebark dinner approx 5X/year. Poor service & awful food may prevent us from ever going back. Took long time 4 highchair to be brought to table after requested. Asked to order sushi appetizers since we couldn't sit at sushi bar w/baby. Told I could only order few rolls that were listed on the menu. Rolls arrived w/out avocado. Asked for it &got a smear on plate. 2 times! Waitress argumentative over order. Dirty appetizer dishes left on table whole meal. Food under cooked, cold or OVER salted. Undrinkable cocktail w/so much salt fallen in glass. Asked for 2 checks got 1 plus an automatic 20% gratuity which didn't apply to size of each party.Special Features:
- Food not a good value.C00kerVIPDined on 3/5/2014Pro: Very nice decor! The most modern ambience in Mammoth Lakes. Con: Overall food not that great for value. The worst part we had was Butternut Sauash and came in bland, watery sauce. The server checked on it and she said it's just a broth, but still no flavor. She took care and got it fixed and came out much better with sauce consistency and flavor. It seem to me that many of its food are either pre made or at a cheapest quality. Overall very disappointing. Service were friendly, polite, and professional, but nothing wow us.Special Features:
- Awesome Food in Awesome Ski TownOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/3/2014Honestly, I would eat here every night I'm in Mammoth. The try-tip is awesome. The make your own salad at Lunch is the best. The vibe in the restaurant is chill, but nothing notable. And the service is solid, but not over the top.Special Features:
- Great Food-Service So SoHalfpintVIPDined on 2/19/2014We sat in the bar since it was the only area to serve both sushi and the regular menu. We had four of us. Two kids and two adults. My daughter mentioned why the other table that sat after us was served first when we sat down first? I tried to explain we were behind a pool and maybe the waitress couldn't see us. But the service continued the whole night. Food was great but the service was not up to any standards of serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was great andsmilesalot24Dined on 2/14/2014The restaurant was great and it is kid friendly with great service and food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food so so, not worth the costluv2eatVIPDined on 2/13/2014Ordered the Lobster Bisque, waitress warned that plate was hot...only problem, the soup wasn't. Made me feel like they didn't microwave it long enough. Overall, between the sushi and the wild game on the menu, this restaurant tries to do too may things, and it doesn't seem to do any of them really well. And for the cost of a meal there, the food should be better. This is the 2nd time I've been to this restaurant, 1st time was several years ago, and unfortunately, it was just as I remebered. We didn't mention the cold soup, but the waitress was very nice, and provided good service.
- An average dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/3/2014This is my second time coming to this restaurant. Unfortunately my second dining experience was not as good as my first. The lobster bisque was a watered down consistency and lacking a lot of flavor. The brussel sprouts tasted like they were steamed when we were expecting roasted, flavorful brussel sprouts. What we got instead were very bland tasting and very uninspired. Our main courses were good but not exceptional. We did have great service but our food wasn't memorable.Special Features:
- New Years EveTeatimeVIPDined on 12/31/2013When I made the reservations, I was unaware that there was a prixe fix only dinner for $125. It turned out to be a lovely over the top menu but I would have liked to have known in advance. All courses were excellent. The service was really good considering how busy it was due to the holiday.Special Features:
- Xmas Dinnercarldonna2kidsDined on 12/25/2013The service was very efficient and friendly. The lady who served us was very helpful and nice which was important given the holiday season and how busy the restaurant was. We deliberately arrived early and spent some time at the bar and this was a great idea as it set us up nice for our meal. Again the service was great. A real nice atmosphere with a good selection of beers, wines and spirits. The view of the village was nice with the lights it once again set the scene. There were lots of others having a great time which cemented the lot. The food was exceptional, although I was a little sad there was no turkey on the menu. I would definitely recommend whitebark as a premier dining location in Mammoth and a must add to any dining todo list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2013We Were Looking Forward To Special Christmas Eve Dinner. The Food Was Marginal For The Price. We Wouldnt Go Back.
- ripskadincracerDined on 12/14/2013The food was decent but abit overpriced. The lobster salad was soso and the dessert was a disapponiting ending. Did enjoy the bison.Special Features:
- fancy fare with a touch of flarebaristaofmanytalentsDined on 8/21/2013The food was delish! The chefs take care with presentation and flavor, with a lot of menu variety. The service was a bit casual, yet friendly and accommodating. but hey, its Mammoth, and I'm a local! all in all loved it and would returnSpecial Features:
- Fair at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/26/2013Very disappointed by this place - did not lived to my expectations. The hotel is in the Westin property and it does feel like a hotel restaurant from the ambiance and service to the food. Menu selection is all over the place between sushi and Asian influenced small plates to big steaks and classic seafood. Sushi poorly executed and came undone as they were dipped in soy sauce. Main courses were barely warm and tasted bland. Would definitely not return nor recommend.
- Way too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/22/2013Great service, great ambiance. Dessert (chocolate mousse and berries) was wonderful. Unfortunately, everything was too salty (salmon, potatoes, and my husband's filet mignon, asparagus, and polenta), but my veggies (zucchini and summer squash) were so salty they were inedible. I expect more for the price.
- From out of town, great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2013Pros: ordered Filet Mignon, finest meat ever. Service super casual. Valet service. Reservations a must. Con: none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/26/2013I searched here on OpenTable for someplace new to try for our annual Memorial Day trek to Mammoth. Whitebark sounded good so we gave it a try. We were not disappointed. First, the food was delicious. I had the Scallops and she had the pork loin. Neither of us wanted to share, it was so good. We also had an bottle excellent of Siduri Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir. We finished with berry chocolate mousse - yum. The service was casual but attentive. We had a nice window table, but the view of the Village is nothing special. All-in-all we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Whitebark.Special Features:
- We were looking for a placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2013We were looking for a place that would allow parents to flirt over a glass of wine, but not feel eyes boring holes into us for bringing the kids. This restaurant was the best of both worlds. It had a romantic setting, with just enough energy to make it acceptable for children. In fact, our server was notably gracious to our daughter, and the food was, for the most part, very good. The sushi was expensive for the quality (as in, the rice to fish ratio in a hand roll was high, not that the fish was bad), and our steak was cooked perfectly, but the side dish - roasted kale and mushrooms - were so salty my tongue was tingling after one bite. Despite these imperfections, I would definitely return to this restaurant when in Mammoth again.Special Features:
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2013Sushi lovers can enjoy a terrific selection while others can choose from a complete and well-planned menu. All meals I've seen have been beautifully presented. Portions are of good size for the money and fresh baked cookies with house made ice cream are terrific for desert. The sorbet sampler looked amazing as it passed our table - will be sure to try that next time. Service is thoughtful and attentive without being overwhelming. Dining room includes seating at sushi bar, banquettes, great lounge seating area, and a cozy dining room that is flexible enough for larger parties. Book a table as it has an intimate feel, although I had no problems getting a table.Special Features:
- Outstanding service but foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2013Outstanding service but food was mediocre at best. Salad was basic, nothing special. Scallops were so so, but the presentation was like a cheap Chinese restaurant. I have no idea what the Red sauce was, but it looked terrible. Very overpriced for what they serve. Chicken was fair, yet presentation was poor. The desert was ice cream with 4 large chocolate chip cookies that were stale or overcooked. Good thing they served with ice cream. Overall I would consider this restaurant Fair at best. Mammoth is great for skiing, but the food options are limited and overpriced.
- One of the best dining optionsswim2kkVIPDined on 3/16/2013One of the best dining options in Mammoth Lakes and conveniently located inside the Westin Monache Resort. Service and food quality were both very good. This is a very expensive restaurant.
- Fun atmosphere with greatOptionalDined on 3/15/2013Fun atmosphere with great cocktails. The sashimi was disappointing. I'm willing to give White Bark again but will order from the regular menu.
- Best restaurant we ate atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2013Best restaurant we ate at while in Mammoth. Both the venison and the duck were fantastic. The chef prepares the right pairing of main entrees with side dishes.Special Features:
- Food is very nice, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/14/2013Food is very nice, but the service is slow. Not very attentive to customers.
- Cream of the Crop!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/13/2013Whitebark is amazing! It was my first time dining here, and it was for a special occasion. We shared the hot pot, I had Salmon, and my boyfriend had the Rib eye. Even the veggies on the side of the meal were so rich and delicious I almost cried from how good it was! Both cuts were cooked to perfection, precisely as we ordered them. We sat by the fireplace and had a great view. It was romantic and wonderful in every way, we can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Thank you for the gluten freeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/11/2013Thank you for the gluten free eggs benedict option! Delish with salmon & tofu. Well done!Special Features:
- Whitebark is in the LobbymaymichaelVIPDined on 2/2/2013Whitebark is in the Lobby of the Westin Hotel. The menu tries much too hard to be trendy when old fashioned comfort food would work better. The Staff are disinterested in service. They spend time talking among themselves. Hostess / Reception is often vacant and a sign says "wait to be seated". At Breakfast we tried to get early reservations for dinner but could not....so I went to open table from my booth and got the reservation online. Overall, it's been much better in the past.
- Good but expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/4/2013Food good, nice wine list; but can't get sushi from sushi bar if sitting at dining table (very strict for some inexplicable reason). Also, ordered venison special and waitress failed to tell me this small entree was $65. When I complained she explained, "It's from New Zealand." Well. How about some locally hunted venison, we're in the Sierras.Special Features: