3143 Stevens Creek Blvd
San Jose, CA 95117Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.whiteshallot.com/
- Phone: 4082465251
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Chef Lan Le
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
A word from White Shallot
White Shallot offers the best in traditional French and Vietnamese cuisine, created by Chef Lan Le with a true passion for producing extraordinary dishes. Our menu selections are lovingly prepared from the highest quality produce and ingredients, rendering dishes with superb freshness and taste that pair wonderfully with our selection of French and California wines. The handmade desserts are truly marvelous, culminating your experience with a delicious sweetness. We look forward to serving you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
White Shallot reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (15)great for lunch (13)special occasion (11)good for groups (7)romantic (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Great group lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a larger group (7) for lunch and had a great time. The menu was not huge, but had a nice array of choices, and everyone seemed to have a good time. Wonderful desserts.Special Features:
- French what?ChefrjVIPDined on 8/22/2014Some of the best French cuisine is prepared by French trained Vietnamese chefs, unfortunately White Shallot is not the case. I'd recommend only as another Asian food restaurant.
- Special ShallotJKMTLDined on 8/22/2014The food is unbeatable! She is an amazing chef and there's always something new on the menu. Staples like the seaBass clay pot and duck a l'orange are not to be missed. The escargot are a must, along with the custom ice cream. Go...regularly...:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem of a eatery1NitPickerDined on 8/21/2014I had not been here in about 2 years and forgot how wonderful the restaurant is! Took two friends who had never heard of the place. Well, they so liked it that we are bringing 2 more pals here in a couple of weeks! Love the quiet atmosphere...You can TALK to one another and hold a conversation at this restaurant! And the food is all prepared to order and tasty. Service by Michael was super! And he handled the whole place! Recommend highly!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/15/2014Wish that they had a more extensive wine list. Additional wines by the glass would be great. Too few selections of wine to go with french food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitFoodloverDined on 8/3/2014Some of the items ordered where very good, like the Orange duck, the mussels, and the creme brulee. The corn soup and crepes flambé missed the mark. So the next time we visit I know better what to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable choiceTheoVIPDined on 7/30/2014Food is consistently good in this pleasant strip mall restaurant. Service can be erratic: sometimes very good other times distracted. WE were able to find a selection of dishes for a vegetarian guest. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick with the regular menu itemsOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/12/2014have heard great things about this restaurant...a bit disappointed. Food was average although perfectly prepared. Also ordered the lobster bisque which is a specialty item at this time. Was very unimpressed. Soup itself lacked a true lobster flavor and the minimum lobster meat they added was old, rubbery and fishy! Will go back again and order off of the common items which many diners were having, French Onion soup, Pho, etc..Special Features:
- Each dish is prepared carefullyGontaDined on 6/21/2014They are doing very good job. You can enjoy both French and Asian foods but they are not mixed. Foods are nice and served properly. Crab cake (seasonal) was one of the best I've ever eaten in California. Duck confit was crispy outside and juicy. Tableware is not gorgeous but simple and good: cutlery is Laguiole made in France. The interior is simple and real flowers are arranged. Price is really reasonable for the quality. I would be satisfied perfectly if the wine list could be a little more varied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJJandJDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I had dinner early on a Friday night and really enjoyed our meal. The service was excellent and everyone was friendly. I had the onion soup to start, which was very good. Not too salty like at other restaurants. My husband started with the escargot and loved the butter and garlic. The brie fritters were not what I expected as they were mainly deep fried brie. The salad that accompanied it had a wonderful dressing though that made up for it. The crown of the evening was the duck a l'orange. It was perfectly cooked throughout with a fantastic sauce and skin.
- White ShallothonestyDined on 6/19/2014Third time at this restaurant and the one person who waited on us was not very attentive. Seemed to be more interested in accommodating a party next to us who he knew. Asked for knives and it took two askings before he delivered. Just not personable as the wait person I have had (male) the first two times - once lunch, once dinner. Food was good - some of it nice and hot, sizzling beef not hot. Oh well - maybe just a bad night for all.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodhappycamperVIPDined on 6/10/2014Can always count on White Shallot for delicious dishes with fresh ingredients! Quiet, quaint, pleasant environment, conducive to conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointedMikifrankDined on 6/5/2014This was my second time at this restaurant and was disappointed which means I won't come back. Very happy the first time but not this time. Mussels were excellent. Unfortunately had to wait a long time between appetizer and main course. The meat was not very good grade. There was only one waiter for the whole restaurant. He was good but seeing him having to rush from one table to another was not enjoyable. Their house wine was good and reasonably priced.
- Quiet JewelXraybabyDined on 5/31/2014We were we part of 5 for my birthday. Nicely appointed, quiet dining room. Two people got soup, French onion and a shrimp with broth, very good. My friend and I both ordered duck L'Orange, which was served flaming with smashed potatoes, carrots, and a small topping of arrugala salad, all delicious. Another friend had a beef dish served over fresh greens and veggies. The beef was succulent and went well with the salad greens. My mother ordered the Cornish hen wrapped in bacon, which she really enjoyed. Another friend ordered the duck curry, which she gobbled down with relish! Dessert included a caramel ice cream, profiteroles, a fruit sundae, & tofu flan (the only miss). Service was excellent!Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2014Mike and Jared took great care of us. Their customer service was above and beyond and the food was tasty and portions were a great size.Special Features:
- OutandaboutVIPDined on 5/11/2014Wonderful little neighborhood restaurant. The food is very good and quite different with a great French/Vietnamese twist. The service is friendly and efficient. Relaxing atmosphere and never too noisy.Special Features:
- Food great, service could be bettervanillajlaDined on 5/11/2014Waiters rushing around. Not well organized staff. We didn't get checked on and the waiters seemed in such a hurry it was hard to flag one down.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gemPaulDined on 5/10/2014This restaurant is great! We have been coming here for both lunch and dinner for quite some time now. Chef Li is an incredibly talented chef. Her creations are always very tasty. We have never been disappointed with anything that we have ever ordered. Chef Li's weekend specials are always fantastic and highly creative! Save room for the homemade ice cream! Chef Li's passion is ice cream in all different flavors! Very good and worth the extra calories!Special Features:
- The following 225 reviews are from the White Shallot reviews archive.
- A very pleasant experienceMellowroseDined on 4/26/2014Our anniversary dinner at White Shallot was very nice. The escargot was divine as was the roast beet salad. I cannot pass up the duck a l'orange and it was again perfectly cooked. Husband had the boeuf and thoroughly enjoyed it. Saw the lemon curd creme brûlée on the dessert menu and had to try it. Perfect finish to a lovely meal. Service has greatly improved, btw, with two servers who were constantly on the move but attentive and approachable. Quite nice!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1126VIPDined on 4/17/2014This place is a foodie treasure in the Santa Clara area. Skip Santana Row and go here if you want to take your taste buds for a ride. Cozy, you can have some good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PhohappycamperVIPDined on 4/9/2014We (3 of us) all had Pho...vegetarian special, beef and chicken...Abundant portion, delicious, and very fresh! This is an incredibly consistent and excellent gem of a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plain neighborhood kind ofBouffeDined on 4/4/2014Plain neighborhood kind of establishment. Food that we ordered was bland, however service was attentive.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 3/15/2014I really wanted to like this restaurant. Our waiter was young and enthusiastic, but too many mistakes. The place was not busy, so nothing to blame the mistakes on. We ordered a salad and an appetizer. After we finished the appetizer, our waiter announced our entrees were coming out. I asked about the salad, and he replied that he could put the order in and we could take it home! What??!!! For our entrees, he brought the exact opposite of what we ordered. The food was just okay. The duck in curry was cooked so long that there was no flavor left. The claypot sea bass was cloyingly sweet. There are better Vietnamese restaurants around and after our experience I wouldn't go back to try the French.
- Did not live up to Yelp reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014We chose this restaurant, for a special occasion, based on peer reviews - particularly the passion fruit creme brûlée - but neither of us felt passionate about this well-meaning but not that great restaurant. The fusion menu was really more French than Asian and not the finest examples as such. The creme brûlée was only lightly flavored with passion fruit and not worth the trip out of town.
- Love this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/9/2014My husband and I are picky diners, and we always love eating at White Shallot. Sunday's lunch (group of 6) was as wonderful as expected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemTjm41VIPDined on 3/7/2014A stripmall marvel. The good and service are outstanding. Great wine for $22 a bottle. Try it you'll find something you loveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite spot for dinnerMac54VIPDined on 2/27/2014Our favorite spot for dinner before going to a movie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth tryingstevehoganDined on 2/21/2014I selected this place for lunch because of its location - close to a scheduled afternoon meeting. Was absolutely delighted with the food and service. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPaulDined on 2/19/2014Chef Lee is truly gifted. Both the French and the Vietnamese dishes are all outstanding. We have been coming here for nearly 5 years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servicemjm56Dined on 2/15/2014Would prefer table cloths not paper covered tables. Appetizers were served at same time the entrees were served. Waiter should have written down our requests. Would not recommend.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014The food was excellent, though a bit pricy. I had 2 minor issues: our main took quite a while to come out but the kitchen was clearly understaffed or going through some kind of issue that night, and the chairs are cheap and wobbly. The atmosphere was intimate and lovely despite a couple nearby clearly having a hushed fight which also served as quiet etertainment for all of the tables on our side of the dining room. We will definitely be going back again as there are many more things on the menu that my girlfriend and I would like to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value?DaveDined on 2/14/2014Our entrees, beef filet and duck a l'orange were both very tasty. At just $22 each it seemed like a good value. Both meals came with parsley mashed potatoes that was pleasant, but got cold quickly. The duck also came with cooked carrots, but the filet just came with a shallot. We were there for a 7 pm dinner on Valentine's Day and were disappointed when they were out of several menu items. The menu lists a couple champagne cocktails - raspberry royale and bellini that they were not able to serve and they were out of the lobster bisque. On this night the wait staff seemed inattentive. It is unlikely that we will be back.
- Consistently great food andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2014Consistently great food and service. We have never been disappointed in the 4 or 5 years we've been enjoying the food and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumlockjaw1VIPDined on 1/28/2014We had the Boulliabase at the last minute on a work night...fabulous, diet friendly and lots of it! The waiter was even better! He totally know what we could eat on a Gluten free diet. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and has a lot of regulars which speaks volumes. Will be back again.Special Features:
- WE LOVE THE PLACENOISYLADIESINTHECORNERDined on 1/10/2014Food is always excellent.....Enjoyable new menu....only thing missing on it are those three mountains of love....the sampler dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small neighboorhood placePDCDDined on 1/3/2014Can walk from Santana Row. Pretty easy to get a table without a wait! Good food at very reasonable prices!Special Features:
- Fabulous Dinner!happycamperVIPDined on 12/28/2013I ordered the dinner special. The artichoke soup was fabulous! The lobster with noodles and carrots was incredible! Absolutely the best! The servers are always friendly and accommodating! This restaurant is one of my favorites in the entire Santa Clara County area. I am a foodie and very particular. I highly recommend the White Shallot for their gourmet and fresh meals. The ambiance is quiet and attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd Timelouie123Dined on 12/27/2013This was our third visit. I chose White Shallot for my birthday and they did not disappoint; from Pho to fillets, Vietnamese and French, it's all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White Shallot doesn't disappointJandJDined on 12/26/2013We have eaten there perhaps a dozen times. It's unique in having both French and Vietnamese dishes. Food has always been good, although sometimes they run-out of menu items. A relatively small and quiet restaurant, it is great for having a good visit with friends. Never rushed. Prices are reasonable for quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit was disappointingGilroyGirlDined on 12/22/2013Our first experience was great, 2nd experience not as good. However,homemade ice cream was awesome! Might stop in for ice cream, but probably not for dinner again. Inconsistent service - although wait staff are very kind - we had to wait and were late for our play that evening even though we allowed 90 minutes for dinner and there was only one other table being served. Too bad, because when the food is good, it is really tremendous. The escargot was very salty and I should have sent it back, although I hate to do that. The dinner special had no vegetables so I had to purchase a salad for something green. My husband's crepe was tasty enough but nothing special. Out of the creme brulee - AGAIN!!! so we were sad about that too...