White Dog Cafe - Wayne
200 W. Lancaster Avenue
Wayne, PA 19087Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
White Dog Cafe - Wayne
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.whitedog.com/
- Phone: (610) 225-3700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Dinner Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Monday - Thursday 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Happy Hour: Monday- Friday 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Zach Grainda
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from White Dog Cafe - Wayne
The White Dog Cafe is known for it's unusual blend of award winning contemporary American cuisine, civic engagement and environmental sustainability. We only use the finest ingredients from farms that practice sustainable farming methods and all of our seafood comes from sustainable sources, while our wine list includes quality varietals from american vineyards.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
White Dog Cafe - Wayne - Best Restaurants in Wayne ›
White Dog Cafe - Wayne reviews from OpenTable diners
476 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (297)neighborhood gem (245)special occasion (209)great for lunch (181)great for outdoor dining (168)great for brunch (166)hot spot (131)good for groups (129)romantic (99)vibrant bar scene (87)notable wine list (54)kid-friendly (34)late-night find (20)scenic view (11)Show More
- DPLLKLVIPDined on 11/21/2014Another wonderful night at the White Dog Cafe. I tried the new trout entree and my wife had the magi magi--both were fresh and exciting. Both appetizers were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it for dinner, but didn't enjoy Sunday BrunchTablefor4Dined on 11/16/2014White Dog Cafe in Wayne has been a favorite for dinners for several years - refined decor, excellent food, have always had a good time there. So when I was trying to think of a place for a special Sunday brunch, I thought it would be terrific. I was disappointed. We were seated in a large back room that I had never been in before. The room was bright (I prefer the subdued lighting in other locations in the restaurant), the hostess was confused about where she would seat us, the room felt crowded, and the limited number of items on the menu did not appeal. Service was fine; that was the only area where I had no complaint. It was not the special brunch experience I was looking for. I know there are places in the area where I can find the type of brunch I want, I will just have to look elsewhere next time.
- Best in our areaOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/16/2014I took a friend to brunch on Sunday to celebrate her birthday. The food, as usual, was very good. Our server was pleasant and very attentive and had good suggestions. She had me try 3 wines before I decided on a selection which was so thoughtful. The White Merlot was a wine I had not tried before and perfect for my meal. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eggs BenedictFlowers13VIPDined on 11/16/2014I ordered eggs Benedict & they came out hard boiled! Quite a disappointment! I sent them back & the correction was made! Now they were good! My favorite Brunch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The DOG is HEALTHY and BARKING FINEDRHBRVIPDined on 11/15/2014The White Dog, Wayne, has been progressively finding its stride. We first came here shortly after opening and remember waiting, despite reservations, for a good 30 minutes. This time, despite a similar crowd, we were seated quickly. The atmosphere in all rooms is pleasant and with great dog pics and statues throughout. Service was pleasant and competent. Food was excellent from a super calamari app. to the mushroom soup, to the tortellini to a tender, generous sized pork chop and MahiMahi. Good selection of wines by the glass/bottle as well as dessert selection completed a strong meal. For many on the Main Line, this restaurant is becoming a top dog. Count me in that group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristineDined on 11/15/2014We were seated in the back room with the masses. Tables were extremely close and felt as though you could not hold a personal conversation. Felt like I should just ask the table next to us to join us. Service was good and we did have reservations and were seated immediately. Felt the menu selection was very limited and overpriced. Managers and bus help were very efficient in removing plates and checking on us.Special Features:
- Be on timeDate12Dined on 11/14/2014When you plan to dine here make sure your whole party is present or you will not be seated until everybody arrives, especially on a Fri or Sat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maple bacon brussel sprouts!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/13/2014The maple glazed roasted brussel sprouts with bacon was phenomenal !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodEuropeanDined on 11/11/2014The service and food were wonderful. It is refreshing to go to a place where you know that the quality of the food is top notch. It is great that the White Dog cafe supports local, organic agriculture. The menu is creative. Great prices. The restaurant design is contrived. The interior designer went crazy making it look rustic and "farmlike" even though it is just in a business building on Lancaster avenue. If it were a real barn, fine, but here it comes off totally fake. A simple, clean, modern interior would be more appropriate. Seating is too close. The couple at the table next to us were so close we could follow every word of their conversation. It was almost as if they were sitting with us. Other people seemed very uncomfortable in the high backed chairs at the little round table. Again--too contrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experiencefoodfanDined on 11/10/2014My friend and I share the same birthday so we went out to celebrate. The experience was excellent in all categories. The reception was prompt and friendly. The waiter was efficient, friendly and able to describe the menu items and how certain dishes were prepared. Service was prompt but we never felt rushed or intruded upon. The presentation of all of the dishes was beautiful and the portions were ample. Dessert was delicious and the pastry chef went to the extra effort to write Happy Birthday in chocolate in a very artistic way on the dessert plates and personally brought them to us. The food, ambience and service were all terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Wife's Birthday DinnerPhillyDined on 11/10/2014We sat in the area with books hanging from the ceiling. This gave us a view of the bar and vice versa..this might trouble some people. The service of our waiter (Hershel) was excellent. Several appetizers were complimentary due to the fact it was a birthday celebration.. hint, hint. We had three different entrees, all were exquisite. Appetizers including a scallop dish and tuna tartar, again were excellent. Truly a memorable dining experience to go with the special occasion.Special Features:
- KJMCDined on 11/10/2014Everyone enjoyed their meal. Great service, great food Have been here on several occasions and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and yummy!HappydinersDined on 11/10/2014~ We've gone three times in three weeks--lunch each time. A party of 10 the first time, and then just as a couple. ~ Both the mushroom soup and the five onion soup were spectacular. Best on the entree menu for us was the butternut squash tortellini (with crispy prosciutto, wonderful sauteed mushrooms, and a sage Parmesan sauce). The lunch sized portion was just right. Great freshly baked hot rolls. ~ Very pretty restaurant. Some intimate corners, some open spaces for parties. Banquette with botanical drawings with barn board on the walls one room then a different but pleasant decor in the next room. Very well done. ~ Locally- sourced ingredients, attentive waitstaff, and a very varied menu means that we'll be going back often.Special Features:
- Overall goodMjsmdVIPDined on 11/9/2014I find food here better than Philly White Dog. Setting is very nice and comfortable. The 2 burgers at the table were tasty but overcooked. I liked the pasta. Its a good meal but never exceptional or fit for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Nice place but food was boringbradshawDined on 11/9/2014Really great ambiance and excellent service. But, the food was basically very bland. The farm to table aspect is very good but taste needs to come first.
- LovefoodDined on 11/9/2014We had reservations made on open table for 1pm, but there was still about a 25 minute wait. My friend and I ended up grabbing seats at the bar, which was great! I've been here before for dinner and/or drinks and it's always been a great time. This was my first brunch experience and the food was fantastic, but the staff seemed a little overwhelmed....it happens. Everyone walks in at once so it's a mad dash to get things situated.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Overcrowded bar and waiting area. Host/ hostess staff invited our group to get a drink while we waited for our reserved table to become available (30minute wait). Diners at the bar seemed perturbed by those of us waiting to be reaching over their shoulders to order/ collect a drink, (rightly so) and standing at their backs. There ought to be a designated server to take orders from those waiting, or a designated space at the bar for customers to place an order at the bar.Special Features:
- DPLLKLVIPDined on 11/8/2014Great as usual--loved the monkfish special and the grilled romaine salad.Special Features:
- Outstandingluv2dineDined on 11/8/2014Felt at home, ambiance screams casual elegance reminding me of my grandmother's den. Food was impeccable, wine pairing suggestions were right on! Staff was friendly and accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistencySky173Dined on 11/7/2014The White Dog never fails to please. Whether just a quick stop at the bar or a Friday night outing for Happy Hour and a meal, or a more comprehensive lunch or dinner get-together, you're always assured a good outcome. Food choices are diverse, novel, changed seasonally and consistently delicious. The level of Service rendered indicates the ownership and management place a priority on training. Servers are attentive, knowledgeable and pleasant without being over-bearing and calling everyone "guys." I always look forward to a White Dog outing and am glad it's so close to home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/6/2014Service was very good. Great overall experience. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favourite spot!UKOKDined on 11/6/2014Lucky to have found this place by accident really as we don't live in the area. We asked in a nearby health store for a recommendation for dinner. Now we have been twice and will certainly return on our next trip. It's just delightful. Very charming. I knew the University City cafe many years ago too. Happy Days!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/6/2014My family and I recently had dinner at the White Dog and as usual it was just about perfect! Our waiter was very efficient, knowledgeable and friendly. All of our entrees were excellent - we ordered duck, striped bass and mahi mahi. All were creatively served and delicious. This has become our "go to" restaurant when in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- But it was so good the first time?JerrySDined on 11/5/2014This is our third visit to the White Dog Cafe in Wayne. The first time it was exceptional. We went on a Sunday night and enjoyed the food, the ambiance and the service. The second time was also a Sunday night, and the experience was repeated. So, when we had a chance to visit on a Wednesday night we looked forward to it. What a difference! It was so noisy that we could not converse across the table without shouting. When the waiter came, we could not hear when he recited the specials. When the food was served, although the three of us at the table had different entrees, none of us finished his/her dinner. The food was just barely edible, and we were all greatly disappointed. I doubt that we will schedule a return visit.Special Features:
- Comfortable...Diner1Dined on 11/4/2014...Once you get to a table. We've been there a number of times and the food selection is unique, very tasty and presentation is well done. My biggest beef is the bar service. I don't know what it is but the bartenders never seem to look up (#1 thing for a good bartender is to keep their head up and observe who needs what IMO). When they do look up they seem to peer right through you. After they take your order our barkeep kept getting distracted by other activity and eventually had to come back to me to retake the order. Very annoying. I've given the bar 3 tries and I'm done with that. Otherwise I'd recommend The White Dog highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo for BrunchjohnbosphlDined on 11/2/2014Fine brunch, whether traditional eggs or brioche French toast with fruit! Local fare; complimentary breads (carrot cake/bread - -wow!). Don't just order coffee - try the hot chocolate or hot cider! Service is first rate, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent local seasonal food2galsDined on 10/30/2014This is my niece's favorite spot so when we came to visit her at Bryn Mawr, we brought her here. We were absolutely charmed by the atmosphere, terrific service, unique menu choices and superb food. The autumn salad was so unusual and delicious! and very healthy. My niece loves the rigatoni. And plenty of gluten free options for my husband. My main course (salmon) was perfect and the bread pudding for desert was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceDeboVIPDined on 10/29/2014Delicious lunch and attentive service. Especially like the beautiful decor. Definitely want to go back!Special Features:
- Beverly's Lunchhoward2VIPDined on 10/29/2014Other than a small wobbly table, this was a pleasant lunch. We both had omelets, ordered different ways, and both came as ordered! Would certainly return...Special Features:
- Great LunchLocalFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/28/2014Had a nice meal and was able to sit at the bar and got 10% off my lunch! Relaxing and great service. Accommodated my specifications for the meal and was taken care of throughout the meal. Recommend this place for anyone passing through the area. At least stop in for a drink and some of mushroom soup!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dininghelzVIPDined on 10/26/2014Whatever meal you choose, it will be a wonderful experience. Everything is delicious and creative. Service is also special. They aim to please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal, beautiful placeBlueleoDined on 10/26/2014My husband and I brought an out of town friend here and everything was perfect. The rooms are decorated beautifully and so quirky. We sat in the book room at a comfy table. There were books suspended from the ceiling I felt like I was in Harry Potters living room. Our waiter was outstanding. He was helpful, informative and best of all funny and totally professional. But the best part of all was the food. The three of us shared some appetizers, we had oysters, an autumnal salad and a half portion of pumpkin tortellini. For dinner we had three different entrees all wonderful. The place is a little pricey but worth every penny. This restaurant gets it right from start to finish and I'm a cat person. .Special Features:
- love the white dogwaynepaDined on 10/26/2014Had a birthday dinner on Sunday night, it was a lovely experience - great food, great atmosphere - the White Dog gave us a complimentary cheese plate for the for the occasion. Always a top pick and a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- It started with server of the monthBrendaBitDined on 10/26/2014We were greeted by their server of the month and the entire experience was wonderful. Wonderful recommendations, tentative but not overbearing service and the environment was perfect for brunch. This restaurant has great environments in each room with an overall well thought out dog theme with taste, no pun intended. Food was delicious and $4 mimosa was a wonderful surprise. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Girls nite out...DatsyDined on 10/25/2014The three of us started out late and ended up ordering several starters, some pasta and a salad. It was perfect and each dish was very tasty...Special Features:
- IncredibleELKnotDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I went to the White Dog for our Anniversay dinner and we had the best experience. We sat at the best table and every employee wished us Happy Anniversary- there was a card on the table and we received a cheese platter and since my wife is lactose intolerant they brought her the Tuna Tartar app. The Mushroom soup was and is award winning! The main dishes were just as delicious. Fantastic all around!Special Features:
- Perfect in every wayRepeaterDined on 10/24/2014Perfect, creative, enjoyable in every way - the food, the ambience, the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything on the menu is great!LikesGermanFoodDined on 10/24/2014However, the mushroom soup is mind-blowing good. We live two hours away from the restaurant, but keep finding excuses to come to Philadelphia and eat at the Wayne outpost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ABLTGDawgVIPDined on 10/21/2014The avocado was tough to find. The bacon was simply tough. Big disappointment. Fortunately, the meal was taken off the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to return!smw237Dined on 10/20/2014Had a delicious dinner at White Dog Cafe. The service was very attentive. I hardly ever get desert, but couldn't resist the apple bread pudding and it was the highlight of the meal for me. I cannot wait to return.Special Features: