White Dog Cafe - University City
3420 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
White Dog Cafe - University City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://whitedog.com/university-city.html
- Phone: 2153869224x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Saturday & Sunday 10:00am - 2:30pm
Monday – Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 5pm - 8pm
Monday – Saturday 2:30pm - 10pm
Sunday 2:30pm - 8pm
Monday – Friday 4pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Zach Grainda
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Both private & semi-private, distinctively decorated & comfortable rooms are available for parties from 12 to 80 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: If you're looking for an elegant venue specializing in award-winning contemporary American cuisine, made from the finest organic ingredients, the White Dog Cafe is the best choice for your next private event. We are able to accommodate parties of 12 to 175 for cocktails, hors d'oeuvres and dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Tamas Szene 2153869224x
- Special Events: There's always something happening at the White Dog Cafe, from thought provoking discussions to dancing in the street! For information and to make reservations for our wide range of special events, visit www.whitedog.com
- Cross Street: 34th Street
- Public Transit: Conveniently located a block east from the 36th Street stop on the Rt. 34 Trolley; two blocks south from the 34th Street stop on the Market-Frankford Line, and just around the corner from the 42 and 21 bus routes at 34th Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On-street & garage parking is available in the immediate area.
A word from White Dog Cafe - University City
White Dog Cafe is nationally known for it’s contemporary American menus, fashioned from the highest quality farm-fresh ingredients and humanely raised meats and poultry. Their menus change seasonally to capture the best locally grown, organic and sustainable foods. Please visit the White Dog Cafe website (www.whitedog.com) for menus, event details and reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
White Dog Cafe - University City reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (114)fit for foodies (104)special occasion (87)great for brunch (83)great for lunch (75)good for groups (67)romantic (51)great for outdoor dining (41)hot spot (24)kid-friendly (19)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (13)notable wine list (12)scenic view (3)Show More
- RiadDined on 8/25/2014We were a party of 13 and they gave us a very nice room for brunch. It was great and not very expensive at the same time. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Decided to try this restaurant while moving our son into UPenn. Excellent food quality, beautiful surroundings and phenomenal service. We will definitely be back for dinner on our next visit.Special Features:
- Loved itrockinrobinVIPDined on 8/22/2014The decor was amazingly beautiful and the food was outstanding. Each room was decorated in a different style. I will be back!Special Features:
- Still awesome after all these yearsFrequenteaterDined on 8/22/2014A sophisticated and yet casual neighborhood gem in the heart of Penn's campus that uses farm-fresh local ingredients in creative and innovative ways. The Kennett Square mushroom soup is a real local treat - don't miss it. We have dined here for many years and brought many people from around the globe who have not been disappointed. Gracious service by pleasant and knowledgeable staff tops it off.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014It was expensive for what we had. The vegetable starter at $15 was presumptuous - too expensive and lacked imagination and the vegetables did not have much flavor. The grilled catfish was warm not hot; The rigatoni was very rich and i was offered a choice if i wanted the $16 or the $23 plate,; the $23 was too much. Anyways, they do support local growers which is important.
- Back to School DinnerpennmomDined on 8/21/2014We have eaten here twice, once for lunch and most recently for dinner when we took our son to school. On both occasions the food was excellent and the staff/servers knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the restaurant's offerings. We love that the menu features local, fresh items. The atmosphere is wonderful, quaint and eclectic but also energetic so that the kids don't feel out of place. We have never been at the bar but it certainly seemed lively as we walked passed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely renovatedPaliDined on 8/21/2014Nicely renovated and great food! Parking difficult due to univ move in!Special Features:
- Loved it!SamIamDined on 8/20/2014We were happily surprised with our lunch experience at White Dog restaurant. Every dish we ordered was special. Not single dish was so so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woof woofsimonDined on 8/2/2014Boy, did I enjoy the food here! On both occasions the staff were friendly, engaging and informative, which was great to a food and beer lover who wanted to try new things.Special Features:
- charming & enjoyableLaurieVIPDined on 8/1/2014This is a wonderful neighborhood gem. The food is consistently good. We have eaten here a few times, and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Venerable Tradition !innkeeper13Dined on 7/29/2014As an innkeeper at Spruce Hill Manor, a nearby B and B, I made this reservation at the request of my guests who attended UPenn and have fond memories of the White Dog Cafe from years ago when few other restaurants were serving organic sustainable food. The White Dog was truly ahead of its time and has been instrumental in bringing this healthy food trend to Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistenly delicious!foodie123Dined on 7/28/2014My boyfriend and I are always blown away by White Dog Cafe! Between the service and spectacular food I can't decide which is better. The decor inside is awesome and even sitting outside is just as great! If you haven't been, you should get on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly lacklusterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014We've been to White Dog several times and were always pleased. This time the food was disappointing. My pork sandwich arrived on a very soggy bun, impossible to pick up, and the fries were overy seasoned. My wife's sandwich was stone cold, when it should have been at least room temperature. To the restaurant's credit they replaced the cold sandwich with one that was prepared adequately. The service was attentive, but not too much so, and pleasant. I'm sure we will give it another try, but this one dissapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Days ExperienceamethystsnowlilyDined on 7/27/2014I went to White Dog with my boyfriend and another couple on the last day of UC Dining Days (on a Sunday). We had an absolutely amazing time - loved the decor, loved the food & beer/wine pairings, and the service was excellent. Definitely a spot we will keep in mind for special occasions :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as alwaysGennaDined on 7/27/2014Phenomenal food- my go to restaurant whenever I'm in Philly! Wonderful service every time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Our party of 9 went for brunch at the White Dog Cafe following a tour of the University of Pennsylvania campus. The White Dog staff met every expectation - our table was ready when we arrived. The two members of our party with special dietary needs were beautifully accomodated. Every meal we ordered was beautifully prepared. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014When we entered the restaurant on Saturday afternoon my friend said we haver a reservation for 6. The hostess said it was for 5. I said it was my mistake. The hostess made a face like we had totally inconvenienced her, and then said, "I am sorry I will have to put you with the noisy people." Yup, they were noisy, very noisy, and we were enclosed in the "fishbowl" room. Meaning the room was closed with doors on either side. I think it would have been more appropriate to offer us another choice even if we had to wait for a little bit.Special Features:
- Food was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014Would ask to sit in a different room next time. We felt uncomfortable because of the decor.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gem!LisaDined on 7/19/2014Lovely little cafe! Can't wait to return for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Outstanding food and awesome decor, but best part of our experience was Andrew, our server! Charming, personable and his service couldn't have been better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant, Wonderful FoodEdHooker3VIPDined on 7/17/2014visited Philadelphia and entertained colleagues one night for dinner. great menu, creative chef-inspired dishes, appropriate for children of all ages.Special Features:
- A lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014I went with some friends before a meeting. I took advantage of the dining days and enjoyed my food. The service was nice and efficient. Another enjoyable time at the white dog cafeSpecial Features:
- Luv2eatChinaDollDined on 7/16/2014Had a party of 7. Very comfortable table. Service was good & food was very good. The fact that it is located right on Penn's campus was a bonus because my brother wanted to tour Penn with his daughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchMoweenDined on 7/13/2014I was bringing my young cousin for her 16th birthday. The staff provided a lovely card with birthday wishes and the dessert was accompanied by a birthday wish writtten in chocolate sauce and a pink candle. Just the right amount of fuss and thrilled her to pieces.Special Features:
- Another Excellent Experience !innkeeper13Dined on 7/10/2014Once again, I was proud to recommend The White Dog Cafe to my out of town guests whose top priority was a healthy menu. Needless to say, they were thrilled with all aspects of the Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/8/2014Pleasant place, nice staff, ordinary food. I was expecting a bit more from a restaurant as well-known as this, one I've read about for years and was excited about visiting. And two of my dishes were over-salted - I adore salt, and this complaint is a first for me.
- pcje4VIPDined on 7/6/2014This was our second visit to this location. We frequent the Wayne White Dog as it is closer to our home. We had brunch, and while the decor and service was very good, the food is just ok.Special Features:
- Dog days of summerCLOakanddaggerVIPDined on 7/5/2014While I love the White Dog Cafe, the changing, innovative menu, great preparation and whimsical dog themed decor, July 4th weekend something was amiss. This may be common in college towns but the service, which was so professional on my last trip was just overwhelmed this one despite the dining room only being half full. The food was a notch lower than last time as well but still terrific in my view. Not sure if it is the weather, the seasonal staff or just a tough weekend but this was a foul ball of a dinner. Will absolutely still go back, one of my favorite places in Philly...Special Features:
- Good food , great service.micknanDined on 6/28/2014Our waiter was great, food was very good and the wine he recommend was really good. The place has a nice atmosphere and we would go back next time we are in town. We walked there from our room at a near by Bed and Breakfast after reading about White Dog online and we were glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three thumbs upgingerspiceDined on 6/28/2014Absolutely delicious. Went for brunch - waffles and chicken and biscuits has been ruined for me forever, nothing will ever compete. Delicious greyhounds, great service. Definitely recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTg0213Dined on 6/27/2014I loved this place. I also appreciate their use of local and organic foods.
- ExcellentLuLuVIPDined on 6/26/2014would happily return here as it was great food and great service and wonderful atmosphere...Really enjoyed the history and our server couldn't have been more helpful. Thanks!Special Features:
- Satisfied a tough crowdWUB85Dined on 6/25/2014We ate at White Dog on a Wednesday in late June. We were a group of 7 seated in a semi-private room on the first floor that could probably accommodate 12+. As such, ambient noise was not an issue. Our crowd can be difficult - 2 vegetarians, two teenagers and some picky eaters. Everyone found something to eat and everyone enjoyed their appetizers and dinners. The portions were appropriate, the food was well seasoned and everyone had a good time. I recommend the peach bread pudding for dessert. Our waiter was attentive and engaging and service was well paced. I will definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- Up and down.ChuddayoDined on 6/25/2014Pluses included great local cheese selection, solid pasta entree, amazing desserts (root liqueur w/ love stout, Bavarian with crust). Negs included strange choice of cocktail glass, soup that tasted exactly like puréed beef hot dogs, and a so so summery burrata salad.Special Features:
- InfinitoZDined on 6/25/2014The service was excellent as they helped identify what constituted our meal, whether it was local, etc. The bread and butter kept coming out, which is great because White Dog has the best.Special Features:
- foodandwineafficionadoDined on 6/24/2014Outstanding restaurant on the Penn campus, sort of an oasis, good food, nice wine list and good service. Very comfortable.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/22/2014My family and I went for a celebratory dinner and had a great time. From the delicious food to the outstanding service, I would recommend White Dog Cafe for any and all special occasions. I liked that they sat us in what seemed like our own private dining room. I had the strip steak, which was cooked perfectly. I will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlacexxxxDined on 6/21/2014Comfortable, intimate, attentive and tasty. A bit pricey BUT i will see you again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeSAMSVIPDined on 6/19/2014Great food. Super service. Love this place. The tartare was wonderful as was the salmon salad. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Consistently Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/15/2014White Dog did farm to table before it was the thing and it's still good!Special Features: