White Dog Cafe - University City
3420 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
White Dog Cafe - University City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://whitedog.com/university-city.html
- Phone: 2153869224x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Saturday & Sunday 10:00am - 2:30pm
Monday – Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 5pm - 8pm
Monday – Saturday 2:30pm - 10pm
Sunday 2:30pm - 8pm
Monday – Friday 4pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Zach Grainda
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Both private & semi-private, distinctively decorated & comfortable rooms are available for parties from 12 to 80 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: If you're looking for an elegant venue specializing in award-winning contemporary American cuisine, made from the finest organic ingredients, the White Dog Cafe is the best choice for your next private event. We are able to accommodate parties of 12 to 175 for cocktails, hors d'oeuvres and dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Tamas Szene 2153869224x
- Special Events: There's always something happening at the White Dog Cafe, from thought provoking discussions to dancing in the street! For information and to make reservations for our wide range of special events, visit www.whitedog.com
- Cross Street: 34th Street
- Public Transit: Conveniently located a block east from the 36th Street stop on the Rt. 34 Trolley; two blocks south from the 34th Street stop on the Market-Frankford Line, and just around the corner from the 42 and 21 bus routes at 34th Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On-street & garage parking is available in the immediate area.
A word from White Dog Cafe - University City
White Dog Cafe is nationally known for it’s contemporary American menus, fashioned from the highest quality farm-fresh ingredients and humanely raised meats and poultry. Their menus change seasonally to capture the best locally grown, organic and sustainable foods. Please visit the White Dog Cafe website (www.whitedog.com) for menus, event details and reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
White Dog Cafe - University City reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (151)fit for foodies (136)great for brunch (100)special occasion (99)great for lunch (94)good for groups (77)romantic (61)great for outdoor dining (42)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (27)kid-friendly (21)late-night find (18)notable wine list (17)scenic view (2)Show More
- Food was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014Would ask to sit in a different room next time. We felt uncomfortable because of the decor.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gem!LisaDined on 7/19/2014Lovely little cafe! Can't wait to return for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Outstanding food and awesome decor, but best part of our experience was Andrew, our server! Charming, personable and his service couldn't have been better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant, Wonderful FoodEdHooker3VIPDined on 7/17/2014visited Philadelphia and entertained colleagues one night for dinner. great menu, creative chef-inspired dishes, appropriate for children of all ages.Special Features:
- A lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014I went with some friends before a meeting. I took advantage of the dining days and enjoyed my food. The service was nice and efficient. Another enjoyable time at the white dog cafeSpecial Features:
- Luv2eatChinaDollDined on 7/16/2014Had a party of 7. Very comfortable table. Service was good & food was very good. The fact that it is located right on Penn's campus was a bonus because my brother wanted to tour Penn with his daughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchMoweenDined on 7/13/2014I was bringing my young cousin for her 16th birthday. The staff provided a lovely card with birthday wishes and the dessert was accompanied by a birthday wish writtten in chocolate sauce and a pink candle. Just the right amount of fuss and thrilled her to pieces.Special Features:
- Another Excellent Experience !innkeeper13Dined on 7/10/2014Once again, I was proud to recommend The White Dog Cafe to my out of town guests whose top priority was a healthy menu. Needless to say, they were thrilled with all aspects of the Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/8/2014Pleasant place, nice staff, ordinary food. I was expecting a bit more from a restaurant as well-known as this, one I've read about for years and was excited about visiting. And two of my dishes were over-salted - I adore salt, and this complaint is a first for me.
- pcje4VIPDined on 7/6/2014This was our second visit to this location. We frequent the Wayne White Dog as it is closer to our home. We had brunch, and while the decor and service was very good, the food is just ok.Special Features:
- Dog days of summerCLOakanddaggerVIPDined on 7/5/2014While I love the White Dog Cafe, the changing, innovative menu, great preparation and whimsical dog themed decor, July 4th weekend something was amiss. This may be common in college towns but the service, which was so professional on my last trip was just overwhelmed this one despite the dining room only being half full. The food was a notch lower than last time as well but still terrific in my view. Not sure if it is the weather, the seasonal staff or just a tough weekend but this was a foul ball of a dinner. Will absolutely still go back, one of my favorite places in Philly...Special Features:
- Good food , great service.micknanDined on 6/28/2014Our waiter was great, food was very good and the wine he recommend was really good. The place has a nice atmosphere and we would go back next time we are in town. We walked there from our room at a near by Bed and Breakfast after reading about White Dog online and we were glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three thumbs upgingerspiceDined on 6/28/2014Absolutely delicious. Went for brunch - waffles and chicken and biscuits has been ruined for me forever, nothing will ever compete. Delicious greyhounds, great service. Definitely recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTg0213Dined on 6/27/2014I loved this place. I also appreciate their use of local and organic foods.
- ExcellentLuLuVIPDined on 6/26/2014would happily return here as it was great food and great service and wonderful atmosphere...Really enjoyed the history and our server couldn't have been more helpful. Thanks!Special Features:
- Satisfied a tough crowdWUB85Dined on 6/25/2014We ate at White Dog on a Wednesday in late June. We were a group of 7 seated in a semi-private room on the first floor that could probably accommodate 12+. As such, ambient noise was not an issue. Our crowd can be difficult - 2 vegetarians, two teenagers and some picky eaters. Everyone found something to eat and everyone enjoyed their appetizers and dinners. The portions were appropriate, the food was well seasoned and everyone had a good time. I recommend the peach bread pudding for dessert. Our waiter was attentive and engaging and service was well paced. I will definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- Up and down.ChuddayoDined on 6/25/2014Pluses included great local cheese selection, solid pasta entree, amazing desserts (root liqueur w/ love stout, Bavarian with crust). Negs included strange choice of cocktail glass, soup that tasted exactly like puréed beef hot dogs, and a so so summery burrata salad.Special Features:
- InfinitoZDined on 6/25/2014The service was excellent as they helped identify what constituted our meal, whether it was local, etc. The bread and butter kept coming out, which is great because White Dog has the best.Special Features:
- foodandwineafficionadoDined on 6/24/2014Outstanding restaurant on the Penn campus, sort of an oasis, good food, nice wine list and good service. Very comfortable.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/22/2014My family and I went for a celebratory dinner and had a great time. From the delicious food to the outstanding service, I would recommend White Dog Cafe for any and all special occasions. I liked that they sat us in what seemed like our own private dining room. I had the strip steak, which was cooked perfectly. I will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlacexxxxDined on 6/21/2014Comfortable, intimate, attentive and tasty. A bit pricey BUT i will see you again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeSAMSVIPDined on 6/19/2014Great food. Super service. Love this place. The tartare was wonderful as was the salmon salad. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Consistently Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/15/2014White Dog did farm to table before it was the thing and it's still good!Special Features:
- A FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014I will definitely be back for more! I went for brunch ans had the pancakes with lemon curd and they were delicious. The ambiance is classy pub and I loved the chandeliers and portraits of dogs as decorated military heros. Service was a bit slow but very friendly and did not negatively affect our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014We had lunch at the White Dog Cafe after my daughters graduation and I must say it was a wonderful experience. The service was impeccable and the food was delicious. The Cafe was very accommodating as my father is in a wheel chair and they were able to reset a table in a quick time frame for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantJackieDined on 6/13/2014White Dog always delivers excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downfall of Someplace GreatPhillyEscapeeVIPDined on 6/11/2014For years the WD has been a neighborhood standby for business, social and casual lunch or dinner in the University City neighborhood. Over the last year or so the food has become less and less dependable, the service lazy and the overall experience poor. It's a shame that something that had become part of the neighborhood has fallen apart. I had an almost in edible chicken salad the made me nauseous for the remainder of the day. My dining partner felt her food was awful as well. I think it is only a matter of time before the more forward thinking, modern restaurateurs moving into the neighborhood put WD out of its misery. Try the Fat Ham or Federal Donuts....much better and just up the street.
- consistant excellanceinnkeeper13Dined on 6/8/2014As an innkeeper, it is so important to have a resource such as the White Dog Cafe to recommend to our guests with confidence and pride.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top DogArmyBoyDined on 6/7/2014The menu had a lot of great choices; however, I didn't prefer some of the fancy ingredients that were added into the dish. I do appreciate locally grown, but it seemed a little too uppity ( If I can't pronounce it, then I probably wouldn't eat it). Also, I thought the service would be top notch. Every item that was ordered was delivered to the wrong person; and it was only 2 people sitting at the table. How can you get confused with who ordered what? lol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchRBpaDined on 6/6/2014White Dog Cafe in University City was a perfect location for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite!VeeZDined on 6/5/2014Any time I am anywhere close to this restaurant, I go. Be it lunch or dinner, both are great. I don't live in the area. If I did, I'd be a regular. Recently I had the Kennett Sqaure Omelet for lunch. Luscious! The reason I didn't rate it five stars on service is that the waiter we had this last visit did not take our food order in a timely manner. In fact, he took the food order of a table that had been seated after us before taking ours. After that, everything went smoothly.Special Features:
- leoneVIPDined on 5/29/2014I ate at this restaurant many years ago and it was much better at that time. I believe new owner's took it over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a twistTheLunchBunchDined on 5/29/2014Food was delicious and most products were from local farmers. Atmosphere was really nice, cute - country inspired decorations. Wait staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've eaten anywhere...DGaebelDined on 5/28/2014Amazing. Delicious. Fun. Fresh. We recently had dinner at White Dog to celebrate my sister's graduation. Everything was outstanding! A farm to table restaurant that comes right out and says they don't use anything genetically modified. What a find! The ambiance was funky and fresh, the service was outstanding and the food a delectable piece of art. We found it priced fairly for farm to table and regret we don't live closer. They catered to our gluten free requests (have the g-free biscuits and honey butter - yum!). Hats off to the owner, chef and staff - well done :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectSuzieBDined on 5/25/2014We had gone here before for brunch and enjoyed our experience so much that we decided to return with my parents and their friends. Everything was great except for one thing: two people at the table ordered the chicken and biscuits, but when the food came out, one of the portions was significantly smaller than the other. Other than that, great experience and the good tasted great!Special Features:
- OverpricedKlamberDined on 5/20/2014The food at White Dog wasn't terrible, but it was definitely not worth what was charged. The salad was a few greens soaked in a mint sauce, and the steak was extremely under seasoned. The fusilli pasta was overpowering, and the burger was average. I would have given the restaurant two stars except for the cheese plate, which was absolutely delicious. On the plus side, the waiters are very courteous, and the drink menu is pretty good.
- gone downhillDinerPaulDined on 5/20/2014I work in the area and I've been coming here for years, but this is the first time in a while. The menu used to be more or less continental, but now it's all organic/locally grown and rather pretentious. It tasted OK. I got a green salad with one little piece of prosciutto plus iced tea, and my companion had a burger and fries. For that we paid $32 + tip, which seems a bit pricey. The place was half empty at lunch time, which didn't use to be the case,and I think I understand why. Don't know if I'll be coming back.
- It doesn´t get better than this!MappsterDined on 5/19/2014The White Dog Cafe is more than a restaurant! It is a place to endulge your senses and to enjoy yourself with your loved ones.Special Features:
- Wonderful Graduation DinnerLaurenDined on 5/18/2014Wonderful spot to celebrate graduation. Really Excellent food. Top-notch service. Great decor.Special Features:
- My favorite at PenngrubuffVIPDined on 5/18/2014Always come here when I go to Penn. Predictably good food. I wouldn't say foodies material though. Love the townhouse ambience. Crazy busy when there is an event at Penn. Bloody mary is good.Special Features: