White Dog Cafe - University City
3420 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
White Dog Cafe - University City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://whitedog.com/university-city.html
- Phone: 2153869224x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Monday – Thursday 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Sunday 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Monday – Sunday 2:30 PM - close
Monday – Friday 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Zach Grainda
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Both private & semi-private, distinctively decorated & comfortable rooms are available for parties from 12 to 80 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: If you're looking for an elegant venue specializing in award-winning contemporary American cuisine, made from the finest organic ingredients, the White Dog Cafe is the best choice for your next private event. We are able to accommodate parties of 12 to 175 for cocktails, hors d'oeuvres and dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Tamas Szene 2153869224x
- Special Events: There's always something happening at the White Dog Cafe, from thought provoking discussions to dancing in the street! For information and to make reservations for our wide range of special events, visit www.whitedog.com
- Cross Street: 34th Street
- Public Transit: Conveniently located a block east from the 36th Street stop on the Rt. 34 Trolley; two blocks south from the 34th Street stop on the Market-Frankford Line, and just around the corner from the 42 and 21 bus routes at 34th Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On-street & garage parking is available in the immediate area.
A word from White Dog Cafe - University City
White Dog Cafe has been engaging the Philadelphia community with award-winning contemporary American cuisine, since 1983. Known for creative contemporary American menus, using the highest quality farm-fresh ingredients and humanely raised meats and poultry, our menus change weekly to capture the best locally grown, organic and sustainable foods available. Completely renovated in August 2014, featuring charming and whimsical décor in its unique dining spaces with additional bar seating with the same warm hospitality and inspiring fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
White Dog Cafe - University City reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (103)fit for foodies (95)great for brunch (70)special occasion (68)great for lunch (66)good for groups (55)romantic (39)great for outdoor dining (34)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (18)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (11)notable wine list (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- A fresh ambiance in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Great for people watching (mostly college students) if you sit outside. It's on a very cute street hence has a great ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/14/2014Very impressed with the food. Great taste, very nice presentation, and pretty good portion sizes. Our server was OK, but should learn to smile a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014Great evening. New decor is great and the food, service and ambiance is first class.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014Wonderful food. Enlightened. Good service, too. Can't wait to return. A gem.Special Features:
- CandJDined on 9/12/2014I've enjoyed dining at The White Dog for many years and have never been disappointed. Menus are always updated regularly and local produce and foodstuffs always used. A great neighborhood staple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best University City RestaurantMB93VIPDined on 9/9/2014White Dog never disappoints. The decor is so much fun that you probably wouldn't notice if the food was sub-par, but, like the restaurant itself, it is exciting. The vibrant colors and dog inspired decorations, different in every room, let you have a totally new experience every time you dine. The food is primarily local and the meals are innovative and absolutely delicious. They also have an excellent cocktail list.Special Features:
- Very disappointingFoodluverVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is not the White Dog we knew and loved. I ordered the duck special, medium well, and it came out almost raw. The vegetables were also nearly raw. They apologized and took it back, offering twice to give me something to eat while my husband ate his dinner (rather than keep his warm while mine was cooking). I declined, but they brought a watermelon salad anyway. My husband ordered the lamb merguez - the first sausage was cooked perfectly, but the second was raw in the center. When my dinner returned, the lab was good, but the veggies still undercooked. They comped my husband's dinner, but the bill was still over $100 (including wine). Overall, a very disappointing experience. We will not be returning.
- good food and friendly serviceEllenEatsVIPDined on 9/7/2014Two of us enjoyed our meal on Sept 7 at 5pm. with friendly service and good food. Ingredients were fresh: one dish was mushroom & veggies; the other was lamb sausage with Romescu sauce and couscous. Bread was also good and fresh. Very doggy decor throughout the old buildings that comprise the restaurant, but the restrooms are updated. We have been to this restaurant before and will return. Not wheelchair accessible.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/3/2014Lovely dinner. Nicely prepared and tasty. Attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnDined on 8/31/2014Terrific server! He was very attentive and was obviously happy in his job.Special Features:
- First visitmocha2014Dined on 8/31/2014First visit to the Cafe. Service was excellent and food was divine! Will return very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, interesting menuunderwhelmedDined on 8/29/2014Interesting stuff on the menu! We were impressed by the variety of items on the menu, and the food itself was very tasty. Appreciate the focus on locally sourced foods!Special Features:
- STELLAR CHOICESunshineVIPDined on 8/29/2014Last week, our small group of 5 long time friends, dined here for the first time in 15 years and were truly blown away by what we experienced. The restaurant has been significantly expanded and other than the obvious theme of up-scale, "british pub/ dog portrait, paintings style" all over every wall, the secondary theme seemed to be private dining. There are many small rooms, nooks and crannies with private style dining. The service was so personal that a it seemed we had the restaurant to ourselves. Our main server, Ariel, was thorough, knowledgable, friendly and fast. All of the best qualities wrapped up into one. I was so impressed with both the ambiance and food that I am planning on hosting our company holiday party here this year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal and staffJJTTDined on 8/25/2014We enjoyed our meal. My wife's fish was Undercooked and they replaced it with fresh along with an additional delicious soup. Very apologetic and the meal was well worth waiting.Special Features:
- RiadDined on 8/25/2014We were a party of 13 and they gave us a very nice room for brunch. It was great and not very expensive at the same time. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great BrunchUPennparentsDined on 8/23/2014Decided to try this restaurant while moving our son into UPenn. Excellent food quality, beautiful surroundings and phenomenal service. We will definitely be back for dinner on our next visit.Special Features:
- Loved itrockinrobinVIPDined on 8/22/2014The decor was amazingly beautiful and the food was outstanding. Each room was decorated in a different style. I will be back!Special Features:
- Still awesome after all these yearsFrequenteaterDined on 8/22/2014A sophisticated and yet casual neighborhood gem in the heart of Penn's campus that uses farm-fresh local ingredients in creative and innovative ways. The Kennett Square mushroom soup is a real local treat - don't miss it. We have dined here for many years and brought many people from around the globe who have not been disappointed. Gracious service by pleasant and knowledgeable staff tops it off.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014It was expensive for what we had. The vegetable starter at $15 was presumptuous - too expensive and lacked imagination and the vegetables did not have much flavor. The grilled catfish was warm not hot; The rigatoni was very rich and i was offered a choice if i wanted the $16 or the $23 plate,; the $23 was too much. Anyways, they do support local growers which is important.
- Back to School DinnerpennmomDined on 8/21/2014We have eaten here twice, once for lunch and most recently for dinner when we took our son to school. On both occasions the food was excellent and the staff/servers knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the restaurant's offerings. We love that the menu features local, fresh items. The atmosphere is wonderful, quaint and eclectic but also energetic so that the kids don't feel out of place. We have never been at the bar but it certainly seemed lively as we walked passed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely renovatedPaliDined on 8/21/2014Nicely renovated and great food! Parking difficult due to univ move in!Special Features:
- Loved it!SamIamDined on 8/20/2014We were happily surprised with our lunch experience at White Dog restaurant. Every dish we ordered was special. Not single dish was so so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woof woofsimonDined on 8/2/2014Boy, did I enjoy the food here! On both occasions the staff were friendly, engaging and informative, which was great to a food and beer lover who wanted to try new things.Special Features:
- charming & enjoyableLaurieVIPDined on 8/1/2014This is a wonderful neighborhood gem. The food is consistently good. We have eaten here a few times, and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Venerable Tradition !innkeeper13Dined on 7/29/2014As an innkeeper at Spruce Hill Manor, a nearby B and B, I made this reservation at the request of my guests who attended UPenn and have fond memories of the White Dog Cafe from years ago when few other restaurants were serving organic sustainable food. The White Dog was truly ahead of its time and has been instrumental in bringing this healthy food trend to Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistenly delicious!foodie123Dined on 7/28/2014My boyfriend and I are always blown away by White Dog Cafe! Between the service and spectacular food I can't decide which is better. The decor inside is awesome and even sitting outside is just as great! If you haven't been, you should get on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly lacklusterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014We've been to White Dog several times and were always pleased. This time the food was disappointing. My pork sandwich arrived on a very soggy bun, impossible to pick up, and the fries were overy seasoned. My wife's sandwich was stone cold, when it should have been at least room temperature. To the restaurant's credit they replaced the cold sandwich with one that was prepared adequately. The service was attentive, but not too much so, and pleasant. I'm sure we will give it another try, but this one dissapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Days ExperienceamethystsnowlilyDined on 7/27/2014I went to White Dog with my boyfriend and another couple on the last day of UC Dining Days (on a Sunday). We had an absolutely amazing time - loved the decor, loved the food & beer/wine pairings, and the service was excellent. Definitely a spot we will keep in mind for special occasions :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as alwaysGennaDined on 7/27/2014Phenomenal food- my go to restaurant whenever I'm in Philly! Wonderful service every time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Our party of 9 went for brunch at the White Dog Cafe following a tour of the University of Pennsylvania campus. The White Dog staff met every expectation - our table was ready when we arrived. The two members of our party with special dietary needs were beautifully accomodated. Every meal we ordered was beautifully prepared. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014When we entered the restaurant on Saturday afternoon my friend said we haver a reservation for 6. The hostess said it was for 5. I said it was my mistake. The hostess made a face like we had totally inconvenienced her, and then said, "I am sorry I will have to put you with the noisy people." Yup, they were noisy, very noisy, and we were enclosed in the "fishbowl" room. Meaning the room was closed with doors on either side. I think it would have been more appropriate to offer us another choice even if we had to wait for a little bit.Special Features:
- Food was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014Would ask to sit in a different room next time. We felt uncomfortable because of the decor.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gem!LisaDined on 7/19/2014Lovely little cafe! Can't wait to return for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Outstanding food and awesome decor, but best part of our experience was Andrew, our server! Charming, personable and his service couldn't have been better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant, Wonderful FoodEdHooker3VIPDined on 7/17/2014visited Philadelphia and entertained colleagues one night for dinner. great menu, creative chef-inspired dishes, appropriate for children of all ages.Special Features:
- A lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014I went with some friends before a meeting. I took advantage of the dining days and enjoyed my food. The service was nice and efficient. Another enjoyable time at the white dog cafeSpecial Features:
- Luv2eatChinaDollDined on 7/16/2014Had a party of 7. Very comfortable table. Service was good & food was very good. The fact that it is located right on Penn's campus was a bonus because my brother wanted to tour Penn with his daughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchMoweenDined on 7/13/2014I was bringing my young cousin for her 16th birthday. The staff provided a lovely card with birthday wishes and the dessert was accompanied by a birthday wish writtten in chocolate sauce and a pink candle. Just the right amount of fuss and thrilled her to pieces.Special Features:
- Another Excellent Experience !innkeeper13Dined on 7/10/2014Once again, I was proud to recommend The White Dog Cafe to my out of town guests whose top priority was a healthy menu. Needless to say, they were thrilled with all aspects of the Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/8/2014Pleasant place, nice staff, ordinary food. I was expecting a bit more from a restaurant as well-known as this, one I've read about for years and was excited about visiting. And two of my dishes were over-salted - I adore salt, and this complaint is a first for me.