White Dog Cafe - University City
3420 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
White Dog Cafe - University City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://whitedog.com/university-city.html
- Phone: 2153869224x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Monday – Thursday 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Sunday 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Monday – Sunday 2:30 PM - close
Monday – Friday 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Zach Grainda
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Both private & semi-private, distinctively decorated & comfortable rooms are available for parties from 12 to 80 guests.
- Special Events: There's always something happening at the White Dog Cafe, from thought provoking discussions to dancing in the street! For information and to make reservations for our wide range of special events, visit www.whitedog.com
- Cross Street: 34th Street
- Public Transit: Conveniently located a block east from the 36th Street stop on the Rt. 34 Trolley; two blocks south from the 34th Street stop on the Market-Frankford Line, and just around the corner from the 42 and 21 bus routes at 34th Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On-street & garage parking is available in the immediate area.
A word from White Dog Cafe - University City
White Dog Cafe has been engaging the Philadelphia community with award-winning contemporary American cuisine, since 1983. Known for creative contemporary American menus, using the highest quality farm-fresh ingredients and humanely raised meats and poultry, our menus change weekly to capture the best locally grown, seasonal and sustainable foods available. Completely renovated in August 2014, featuring charming and whimsical décor in its unique dining spaces with additional bar seating with the same warm hospitality and inspiring fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
White Dog Cafe - University City reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)neighborhood gem (120)special occasion (71)great for brunch (70)great for lunch (66)good for groups (65)romantic (43)great for outdoor dining (39)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (18)kid-friendly (16)notable wine list (14)late-night find (8)scenic view (4)Show More
- Always a Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Great food that is well conceived and thoughtfully prepared, always excellent. We had a great booth off to the side and a superb waitress. The White Dog is one of PHillys' standout restaurants. always a winner. Loved the fig cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AMAZING!MattRDined on 10/18/2014Probably the best farm-to-table restaurant in Philadelphia! They offer an amazing seasonal menu, and I have to say the Fall 2014 menu was outstanding. Have been here multiple times and will continue to go back for the amazing food and really cool atmosphere!Special Features:
- FantasticTalltinaDined on 10/18/2014We introduced 2 out of town couples to White Dog Cafe on Saturday night and they loved it! Our waitress was fantastic and knowledgeable about the food. Our guests asked if the fish was wild caught or farm raised and not only was she honest with her answer but when the fish came out the manager came and spoke more about the fish! We couldn't of asked for any place better to take a group of friends. 5 stars all the way. We will be back!Special Features:
- Not like old timesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/17/2014The tables seemed closer together, the noise level higher, and the server more distracted since the last time I was here. Food was ok though.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/14/2014Consistently wonderful: varied menu, excellent food, attentive, efficient service. They always treat us so nicely, too.Special Features:
- foodiedudieVIPDined on 10/12/2014Grest brunch spot. They even made a batch of fresh from the oven gluten free rolls for my sister who requested them ( they don't usually serve at brunch). Our server was a delight( tommy?) and couldn't hsve been more accommodating. No bottomless mimosas and Bloody Mary's but individuals are only $4, so if you have several, it won't break the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fantastic!! :-)1NewZagatsGuideVIPDined on 10/11/2014The Manager here is great! Patrick, the fellow at the desk, so cordial! Looks like he should be in movies! Our meal is always fantastic! Creative new items! Our waiter looks like the young Paul McCartney and he makes THE BEST recommendations! We had a chocolate FIG dessert THAT WAS TO LIVE FOR!!! :-) AMAZING! My friend got the pear bread pudding and combined flavors!! A MUST TRY! …Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu is getting staleKimOVIPDined on 10/11/2014This restaurant is very near our home and we have started going fairly regularly but last night will be our last time for a while. The menu hasn't changed in several months and I'm bored. To be fair, we were part of a large party and for those who hadn't been to White Dog, it was a treat. My husband and I will probably be back in a couple months but I'm hoping the menu will have some new items. I do want to give a shout out to the staff - they are always attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service.BobbyEDined on 10/11/2014Martinis were absolutely perfect. Delicious, fresh creamy mushroom soup. Tender, lean pork tenderloin, wonderful fresh mashed potatoes and veggies. Dinner was five star....dessert was four star: chocolate cake was fresh but a but dry for my taste. Coffee could be a bit fresher. Staff is attentive and very professional. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- Favorite Brunch place in Phillyphillyfoodie5627Dined on 10/11/2014I absolutely loved the White Dog Cafe! The decor was awesome and had my friend and I laughing and looking around constantly! The "bread plate" at brunch (scones and cinammon rolls) was so delicious and that just got the meal started. Love the farm-to-table food choices and everything was delicious. I will definitly be coming back. Totally recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodgswcDined on 10/9/2014Quality of ingredients and taste of food was excellent. Kitchen had a problem getting preparations out hot. Pasta, truffle fries and burger were all warm but by no means hot. Service good. Management was very professional in acknowledging the temperature issue. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant!madmastDined on 10/5/2014This is our second time to this restaurant, apart from our first visit 28 years ago. It is wonderful, and the University City location is very charming. Food was top notch, and cocktails and wine also. Hope to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in University CitySoupsOnDined on 10/5/2014We loved the quirky, but sophisticated decor of White Dog Cafe, and it is just a couple of blocks from the Inn at Penn. The restaurant is huge but the multitude of smaller rooms makes it feel intimate. The menu has a varied selection of dishes utilizing locally sourced products - the bread was outstanding. The fried pickles are delicious, and should not be missed. I had the butternut squash gnocchi which was very flavorful, but less cream would have been better. My son had the burger with a bacon mayonnaise which was delicious. The desserts, especially the homemade ice-cream, are worth the calories. The wine list is limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT, ALWAYS!NewZagats2VIPDined on 10/3/2014This spot always has new voices, fresh food, quality ingredients, and nice people! Manager was awesome and so was Patrick, another manager, and the waiter, it was his first time and he was still perfect!! We would definitely go back.,often! The butternut squash gnocchi were amazing as was the beet salad arugula… we saw folks marveling over the pumpkin cheesecake, but we loved the bread too much … yummy and fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MAS8612VIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful meal early on Saturday evening. Both my husband and I had the swordfish special, which was excellent. We liked the 6 oz. fish portion, and loved the corn, Israeli couscous and long-hot accompaniment.Special Features:
- White Dog Is a TreatRussDined on 9/27/2014The White Dog has been our go to restaurant in University City for years. As of our latest visit, I can say that it keeps getting better. Locally sourced foods, a menu that changes with the seasons, polished, but unobtrusive service, all make for a great evening. The mushroom soup is always a winner and this time was no different. We also enjoyed our entrees of trout with clams in a savory broth with gnudi and diver scallops with grilled radicchio. even if you don't like Brussels sprouts you will love White Dog's version as a side order. The apple tart with cinnamon ice cream finished the meal off beautifully. Interesting wines by the glass. Good coffee. Need I say more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eatsepicurianDined on 9/27/2014The interesting menu items and excellent service always make this an enjoyable place to eat.Special Features:
- Great, as always !innkeeper13VIPDined on 9/26/2014Before making the reservation for my guests, I was able to speak directly with Casey to provide a little background on the occasion. Needless to say, the guests were delighted and their positive experience is a great reflection on the neighborhood and Philadelphia in general. Janet at Spruce Hill Manor Bed and Breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still wonderfulHSHudsonDined on 9/26/2014I had enjoyed the White dog Cafe as a student more than 20 years ago. Now, I came back with my teenage daughter visitng Penn, and the food and service were even better than I remember. The many references to dogs was a lot of fun.Special Features:
- Good food excellent serviceBillDined on 9/25/2014Great service good food & vibe in a university neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong changes....Voltaire1778Dined on 9/25/2014The food is certainly quite good for the Penn area, but the decor has gone from acceptable kitsch to over-the-top kitsch and interferes with the dining experience. The menu rarely changes, which is disappointing. The wine list is overpriced for the wines offered, and, again, for the wines offered, the high per-glass prices are simply silly.Special Features:
- Still tops in University CityRaggyboysVIPDined on 9/24/2014I hadn't been to the White Dog in years and my recent lunch did not disappoint. Food was wonderful and atmosphere as warm and inviting as ever.Special Features:
- As good as everKEKKPNJDined on 9/23/2014We have enjoyed the White Dog several times, and this was no exception. Service is attentive but not cloying, and food is creative, beautifully served, and delicious. Portion size is perfect -- you leave satisfied, but not overstuffed. Not the cheapest place around, but you get what you pay for -- well worth a splurge now and then.Special Features:
- Business or pleasure ...JB22VIPDined on 9/23/2014Popped in for a business lunch on Tuesday. Asked for and received a round (ish) table. Was perfect corner location, got our business done and enjoyed a wonderful lunch of fresh salads, local fare omelets and more. Institution that has been around for 35 years continues to do it right, service customers with first class service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adorable!MargosingDined on 9/21/2014We have eaten here before and love the food and service. The recent renovation has added so many wonderful details. They should charge admission to get into this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fresh ambiance in the citymhm202Dined on 9/17/2014Great for people watching (mostly college students) if you sit outside. It's on a very cute street hence has a great ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/14/2014Very impressed with the food. Great taste, very nice presentation, and pretty good portion sizes. Our server was OK, but should learn to smile a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014Great evening. New decor is great and the food, service and ambiance is first class.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014Wonderful food. Enlightened. Good service, too. Can't wait to return. A gem.Special Features:
- CandJDined on 9/12/2014I've enjoyed dining at The White Dog for many years and have never been disappointed. Menus are always updated regularly and local produce and foodstuffs always used. A great neighborhood staple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best University City RestaurantMB93VIPDined on 9/9/2014White Dog never disappoints. The decor is so much fun that you probably wouldn't notice if the food was sub-par, but, like the restaurant itself, it is exciting. The vibrant colors and dog inspired decorations, different in every room, let you have a totally new experience every time you dine. The food is primarily local and the meals are innovative and absolutely delicious. They also have an excellent cocktail list.Special Features:
- Very disappointingFoodluverVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is not the White Dog we knew and loved. I ordered the duck special, medium well, and it came out almost raw. The vegetables were also nearly raw. They apologized and took it back, offering twice to give me something to eat while my husband ate his dinner (rather than keep his warm while mine was cooking). I declined, but they brought a watermelon salad anyway. My husband ordered the lamb merguez - the first sausage was cooked perfectly, but the second was raw in the center. When my dinner returned, the lab was good, but the veggies still undercooked. They comped my husband's dinner, but the bill was still over $100 (including wine). Overall, a very disappointing experience. We will not be returning.
- good food and friendly serviceEllenEatsVIPDined on 9/7/2014Two of us enjoyed our meal on Sept 7 at 5pm. with friendly service and good food. Ingredients were fresh: one dish was mushroom & veggies; the other was lamb sausage with Romescu sauce and couscous. Bread was also good and fresh. Very doggy decor throughout the old buildings that comprise the restaurant, but the restrooms are updated. We have been to this restaurant before and will return. Not wheelchair accessible.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/3/2014Lovely dinner. Nicely prepared and tasty. Attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnDined on 8/31/2014Terrific server! He was very attentive and was obviously happy in his job.Special Features:
- First visitmocha2014Dined on 8/31/2014First visit to the Cafe. Service was excellent and food was divine! Will return very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, interesting menuunderwhelmedDined on 8/29/2014Interesting stuff on the menu! We were impressed by the variety of items on the menu, and the food itself was very tasty. Appreciate the focus on locally sourced foods!Special Features:
- STELLAR CHOICESunshineVIPDined on 8/29/2014Last week, our small group of 5 long time friends, dined here for the first time in 15 years and were truly blown away by what we experienced. The restaurant has been significantly expanded and other than the obvious theme of up-scale, "british pub/ dog portrait, paintings style" all over every wall, the secondary theme seemed to be private dining. There are many small rooms, nooks and crannies with private style dining. The service was so personal that a it seemed we had the restaurant to ourselves. Our main server, Ariel, was thorough, knowledgable, friendly and fast. All of the best qualities wrapped up into one. I was so impressed with both the ambiance and food that I am planning on hosting our company holiday party here this year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal and staffJJTTDined on 8/25/2014We enjoyed our meal. My wife's fish was Undercooked and they replaced it with fresh along with an additional delicious soup. Very apologetic and the meal was well worth waiting.Special Features:
- RiadDined on 8/25/2014We were a party of 13 and they gave us a very nice room for brunch. It was great and not very expensive at the same time. Will definitely go back.Special Features: