White Dog Cafe - University City
3420 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
White Dog Cafe - University City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://whitedog.com/university-city.html
- Phone: (215) 386-9224
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Monday – Thursday 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Sunday 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Monday – Sunday 2:30 PM - close
Monday – Friday 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Zach Grainda
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Both private & semi-private, distinctively decorated & comfortable rooms are available for parties from 12 to 80 guests.
- Special Events: There's always something happening at the White Dog Cafe, from thought provoking discussions to dancing in the street! For information and to make reservations for our wide range of special events, visit www.whitedog.com
- Cross Street: 34th Street
- Public Transit: Conveniently located a block east from the 36th Street stop on the Rt. 34 Trolley; two blocks south from the 34th Street stop on the Market-Frankford Line, and just around the corner from the 42 and 21 bus routes at 34th Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On-street & garage parking is available in the immediate area.
A word from White Dog Cafe - University City
White Dog Cafe has been engaging the Philadelphia community with award-winning contemporary American cuisine, since 1983. Known for creative contemporary American menus, using the highest quality farm-fresh ingredients and humanely raised meats and poultry, our menus change weekly to capture the best locally grown, seasonal and sustainable foods available. Completely renovated in August 2014, featuring charming and whimsical décor in its unique dining spaces with additional bar seating with the same warm hospitality and inspiring fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
White Dog Cafe - University City reviews from OpenTable diners
255 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (164)fit for foodies (153)great for brunch (89)great for lunch (80)special occasion (80)good for groups (72)romantic (47)great for outdoor dining (37)hot spot (33)kid-friendly (24)notable wine list (21)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- Another wonderful lunchKarriaagzhVIPDined on 11/21/2014We had another wonderful lunch at the White Dog. I tried something I'd never had before, a roasted root vegetable salad with farro and walnuts. The recommended dressing sounded unappetizing to me so I had it with their blue cheese and it was terrific. It was dauntingly large, enough for two really, so I had a lovely doggie bag to take home. My companion had just the mushroom soup and pronounced it very good. We both enjoyed the fine, crusty rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a place to check out!wcrowDined on 11/16/2014The macaroni & cheese with bacon was divine and my 12 year old loved it! I had the tuna tartar appetizer which was delicious, and the pear salad, also tasty. The bittersweet waffles with pomagranite left a lot to be desired -- minimal taste and chocolate flavor. All in all excellent, great service 4+ starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time was great; Second time even better!JasperDined on 11/15/2014This was our second visit to White Dog Cafe in just two weeks with both visits on Saturday evenings and with different size groups (i.e. 3 and 6). I don't think I ever made dinner reservations at the same restaurant two times in row in such a short period of time, since there are so many choices, but our second evening at White Dog Cafe confirmed that I absolutely made the right choice for a repeat visit. The quality, consistency and presentation of the food from appetizers to the main entrees to deserts, the warm, friendly and helpful staff, and the unique and inviting decor are hard combinations to beat. On both occasions we were never rushed and were able to enjoy our conversation and dining experience. In addition, their prices are 'reasonable' (i.e. relative term meaning not low but not ridiculously high either). As a nice after dinner and desert bonus, their coffee was excellent which is one thing, and I don’t know why, many restaurants seem to do poorly with. If I had to come up with one negative, and only if pressed to do so, some of the dining rooms appeared to me a little tighter than I would prefer, although not the ones we were seated in, but I suspect this is no worse than other city restaurants and definitely not enough to make me hesitate for another return trip the White Dog Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Screen Great FoodNicoleDined on 11/14/2014First time here. Really loved it. Brussels Sprouts were amazing! I mean amazing amazing! And the fried pickles. Omg!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had been here a few years ago...2backtobostonDined on 11/9/2014We had a great family gathering and birthday party here where we had the entire back room. I was really looking forward to coming back to the White Dog Cafe. Loved the look of the place back then. Loved the doggies all over. We all bought White Dog Cafe plates to remember our party there. The food was very good. This visit was for dinner with our son who just started college in Philadelphia and a friend of his. Again ,the food was very good. Our waiter was pleasant but service was slow. Maybe not his fault. I was really sad to see the new look of the place. I felt as if I was in "Boca" at a ladies lunch. Also, it was too loud for a nice dinner. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I really missed the old woody place.Special Features:
- Excellent MealBJaneDined on 11/9/2014I was pleasantly surprised by the excellence of the food and decor after not having eaten at this restaurant for several decades. It has expanded and is no longer dusty and dark. The food used to be a bit odd, but all 6 diners in our group loved their selections. In general the service was very pleasant and professional. I was particularly pleased that the waitress brought out a special menu that indicated which items contained dairy and/or gluten , etc. for the guest with food allergies. The only draw back was that I had requested a candle or something special for the birthday person when I originally booked the table and that must have been lost in communication as the dessert came out without any special addition.Special Features:
- What a fantastic brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Brunch was outstanding! Professional, warm service and delicious food. My only suggestion would be a few more vegan or vegetarian options on the brunch menu.Special Features:
- dizzymissieDined on 11/9/2014We were visiting Philadelphia for the weekend and looking for a place to have a brunch ,accidentally stumbled upon White dog cafe on the internet. What a find! Great ambiance, very pleasant and hospitable staff, great food and amazing 4$ bloody marys and mimosas. Prices are reasonable and its definitely value for money and much more! Also great area to walk around after to burn those calories :) I highly recommend!Special Features:
- Food experienceAnniversaryDined on 11/8/2014We had a great meal and the staf was polite and educated on the menu. We would recommend this to our friends and family and would visit again in a heart beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Atmosphere, Great Food!MagsDined on 11/7/2014White Dog Cafe not only had delicious food but also a very comfortable, appealing atmosphere. Our party was seated in a private, brightly decorated corner booth that contributed to a wonderful dining experience. The food selections were all made with local ingredients from the Philadelphia/New Jersey area. Everyone was very pleased with their entree choices with the only complaint being that their sword fish portion was too small.Special Features:
- Fantastic lunchCharlafitDined on 11/7/2014We enjoyed our lunch at White Dog Cafe and will return as often as the opportunity presents itself. The staff was very attentive to my food allergies and the chef very accommodating. I highly recommend White Dog Cafe to anyone wishing to have a fantastic meal in a unique setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great atmosphereInquisitivePatriotDined on 11/6/2014The White Dog Cafe is a must-do for anybody visiting Philadelphia. The charm of the street, the quirky decorations making each room different and special only add to the ambiance. While the beer menu is great, I feel they need to work on their cocktail selection - but they have a full bar for anybody willing to go off-menu.Special Features:
- Really liked this place.sabam86Dined on 11/4/2014The weather was perfect. The host forgot to bring us the menus and that was the only issue we had. But the food was delicious. Go for the lamb rigattoni and the ambiance was very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealfoodiedudieVIPDined on 11/2/2014White Dog changes their menu seasonally and my Penn son and I loved our meals: good, fall fare. Always enjoy eating here for brunch, lunch or dinner; something for everyone.Special Features:
- Always a good experiencephylstackDined on 11/2/2014My husband and I truly enjoy the White Dog. Each time we go we find something else on the menu to rave about. This time we took our very picky 15 year-old daughter (of the chicken-nuggets and pasta ilk). Now she found something to rave about, declaring the bacon mac-and-cheese fantastic. Usually the service is quite good but this time our waiter was a little flighty - did not really describe the specials as other waitstaff did, mixed up our orders...but still decent. Looking forward to our next time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014Great atmosphere. Fair prices. Good food. They seated us right on time. Love the dog motif. Clever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Sunday BrunchsusheDined on 11/2/2014When at UPenn I always have brunch here. Very good food, farm to table. Staff is attentive and the eating spaces are beautiful and unique. The intimate environment leads to the only downside. You cannot have any level of conversation without EVERYONE in your room hearing EVERY word you speak. Do not even think about talking about anything at this place. Fortunately the food is great so you can give it the attention it deserves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm hospitality and current menu.jnr2401Dined on 10/31/2014White Dog has been a University City favorite for over 35 years. There have been changes over the years but it remains comfortable and dedicated to fresh, delicious food. Small portions of flavorful pasta options and a shared salad were perfect portions at a recent late dinner for two. The wines we sampled were also very good. Service was attentive and friendly but not intrusive. All of these are the reasons we keep coming back.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2014The ambiance at this restaurant is amazing (especially if you happen to be a dog lover, like me! Lots of great "dog art" to look at!). Service was excellent. The menu is small enough that each dish is prepared to perfection. The option of the "small plate" for entrees is nice. Loved the seasonal additions to the menu. The apple pumpkin bisque was out of this world! Even the home made butter (made with honey and sea salt) was exceptional! Menu is heavier on the seafood side, but there is definitely enough for a non-seafood lover like myself. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Amazing!healthyeatsonlyDined on 10/27/2014I felt like an honored guest. Our waiter was very responsive to our needs and went above and beyond my expectations. I'd like to go back and spend more time exploring the building. Very interesting.Special Features:
- White Dog Remains TrueArrietyDined on 10/27/2014Renovation makes the ambiance even more pleasan! Food is cnsistently good, with choices that are innovative and old stand bys. Always a good choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with DaughterEYauDined on 10/26/2014This is my 3rd dining experience at white dog. It has become a requisite when I visit my daughter at UPenn. Cozy environment, friendly and elegant service without pomp, amazingly creative seals all organic dishes that will surprise you each time. A must. Use open table or you'll be waiting a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good tasting wine and helpful stafflisaDined on 10/25/2014The wine list and according appetizers were really good, and the staff were helpful when we asked about their recommendations. There was a large choice of vegetable plates and some vegan choices, too. In addition, the decoration was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely date with my wifeArboDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I love going out and enjoying a great meal together, and the White Dog delivered. Friendly, laid back service, amazing food - the catfish was delicious! What a great experience! Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/25/2014Our go-to restaurant whenever we visit our son at University of Pennsylvania. Food is always fresh and delicious. Atmosphere is whimsical and fun. A must for dog lovers who will love the dog-love decor.Special Features:
- a bit disappointingEsmeraldaVIPDined on 10/25/2014Generally enjoy the ambience and food here. But we were seated in a high traffic area, had a waitress who didn't visit the table except to take the order, and the food was particularly rich, despite our questions regarding that very issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too busy a night, but still niceFrequenteaterDined on 10/25/2014This is one of my favorite places for decades, but they were having a rough night. Inexperienced waitress did not know food preps, drink list. She only poured first glass of wine then no more. One of six entrees Ifilet) did not come out with food as "kitchen missed it", but manager offered complimentary soup to the entree-less person while she waited, which was a nice gesture. I t was parent's weekend at Penn, so they were swamped, but still the basics were missed here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014We were v disappointed this time. The host was rude. The waitress was even ruder. It was Saturday lunch and there was a lunch menu which was brunch was not appealinf. Removing it from my list of favorites for now. And defintely not for lunch
- white dog cafeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014besides the nice food and atmosphere- they are very attentive to patrons with food allergies- much appreciatedSpecial Features:
- Must not like OpenTable dinersAhtalonVIPDined on 10/24/2014I made this OpenTable reservation months in advance as a special night for my son. In the event, my party of three was placed at a 30 inch diameter bistro table practically in the bar. I politely asked for another table and was stuck at a slightly larger table in the same awful room. Service was slow, inaccurate, and borderline hostile. It was as poor a dining experience as I have had in quite some time (and I frequently dine out.) They have some nice rooms, but perhaps keep them for locals over the random OpenTable diner.
- consistentworkerDined on 10/21/2014I have been to White Dog several times over the years. It is consistent; nice place to meet a friend for lunch or dinner. Clean, comfortable atmosphere. Pleasant service, do not feel rushed. Great burger and mushroom soup. I highly recommend. The others that dined with me enjoyed their salads and entree. I would recommend and will return, again, and again.Special Features:
- The White Dog CafemstazDined on 10/18/2014I enjoyed my evening at The White Dog Cafe. The dog motif was fun and interesting. The bar staff was attentive, friendly, and relaxed. The beer was great! Then we moved on to our seat in the dining room. It was a very cramped dining room but cozy. The menu was decadent and hard to choose from. I went with the Fettucine with Maryland crab in parmesan broth, OUTSTANDING! However, I will say that our waitress had me a upset for a bit. I asked a question about pricing on the menu and that seemed to ruffle her feathers. After that interaction, she straight up dropped the plate of bread on our table without even looking where she was putting it. But after that, she seemed to calm down and was interested in again in our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Gem!rosyDined on 10/18/2014Great food that is well conceived and thoughtfully prepared, always excellent. We had a great booth off to the side and a superb waitress. The White Dog is one of PHillys' standout restaurants. always a winner. Loved the fig cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AMAZING!MattRDined on 10/18/2014Probably the best farm-to-table restaurant in Philadelphia! They offer an amazing seasonal menu, and I have to say the Fall 2014 menu was outstanding. Have been here multiple times and will continue to go back for the amazing food and really cool atmosphere!Special Features:
- FantasticTalltinaDined on 10/18/2014We introduced 2 out of town couples to White Dog Cafe on Saturday night and they loved it! Our waitress was fantastic and knowledgeable about the food. Our guests asked if the fish was wild caught or farm raised and not only was she honest with her answer but when the fish came out the manager came and spoke more about the fish! We couldn't of asked for any place better to take a group of friends. 5 stars all the way. We will be back!Special Features:
- Not in love like I used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014White Dog used to be one of my go to places, because the food was good and sourced sustainably. These days, however, I'm not really feeling like it's worth the expense. The decor could use some updating and it always seems to be too cold during fall and winter. The eclectic menu is still a plus. I ordered a hamburger, my first real foray into beef in about 6 years. I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, my meal wasn't served hot. It was just below warm. I'm guessing that this was due to the very busy night. My husband ordered a duck dish and really liked it. For $30, however, it looked to be "spa" size. I would go back if I had a special taste for something specific on the menu, but it's no longer in my regular rotation of places to go.
- Not like old timesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/17/2014The tables seemed closer together, the noise level higher, and the server more distracted since the last time I was here. Food was ok though.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/14/2014Consistently wonderful: varied menu, excellent food, attentive, efficient service. They always treat us so nicely, too.Special Features:
- foodiedudieVIPDined on 10/12/2014Grest brunch spot. They even made a batch of fresh from the oven gluten free rolls for my sister who requested them ( they don't usually serve at brunch). Our server was a delight( tommy?) and couldn't hsve been more accommodating. No bottomless mimosas and Bloody Mary's but individuals are only $4, so if you have several, it won't break the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fantastic!! :-)1NewZagatsGuideVIPDined on 10/11/2014The Manager here is great! Patrick, the fellow at the desk, so cordial! Looks like he should be in movies! Our meal is always fantastic! Creative new items! Our waiter looks like the young Paul McCartney and he makes THE BEST recommendations! We had a chocolate FIG dessert THAT WAS TO LIVE FOR!!! :-) AMAZING! My friend got the pear bread pudding and combined flavors!! A MUST TRY! …Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.