White Barn Inn
37 Beach Avenue
Kennebunk, ME 04043Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
White Barn Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.whitebarninn.com/
- Phone: 2079672321x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm -9:30pm, Friday - Sunday: 5:30pm -9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Cartwright
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are offered in the White Barn Inn Wine Cellar. The Cellar seats 10-15 guests. Offered year round, seating at 7:30pm.
- Entertainment: Talented Jazz Pianist entertains evenings.
A word from White Barn Inn
Fine American cuisine served in a fabulously converted barn. The White Barn Inn Restaurant is a AAA Five Diamond, Forbes Five Star and Relais Gourmand property with four course Prix Fixe Menu at $109 per person, and subject to availability, a nine course Prix Fixe menu at $165 per person, both featuring the finest fresh local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
White Barn Inn - Best Restaurants in Kennebunkport ›
White Barn Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (102)romantic (96)fit for foodies (75)notable wine list (67)scenic view (16)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014A beautiful experience. Great food with super service. A must do any time of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic eveningFoodsnobDined on 8/15/2014The White Barn Inn was a wonderful spot to celebrate our 10th anniversary. The entire staff was great, greeting us warmly. The food was delicious. It was very quiet and formal, so if you are uncomfortable with near silence, pick another restaurant. The desserts were amazing, so save room! You will leave about $400 poorer at minimum, but it is a special place, worth the price tag for a special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptional,as always.guypDined on 8/15/2014The quality of this restaurant has remained constant through the years.For us it has become a "classic",and we don't miss a chance to go back whenever we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Fine Dining in MaineOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/13/2014This is truly the best fine dining in Maine. The food is outastanding, he wine list top notch, and the service is simply excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell Short of ExpectationsTwiggsDined on 8/11/2014In a check off the boxes sort of way, the White Barn was everything it was supposed to be -- elegant, creative, fresh, "special", etc. But my overall reaction was: pompous, self important, scripted and middle-aged. I'd rather go to a less fusty joint trying to create a reputation than this matron trying more or less to live up to one -- especially for the $$$$$. The recipes seemed more contrived than creative. The service hinted -- just hinted -- that the staff was more important than the diners.Special Features:
- Disappointed at White Barn InnHappytoreviewVIPDined on 8/10/2014Been there in the past several times and the menu and taste of the food have declined dramatically. Menu tries hard to be innovative with flourishes of foam instead of potatoes, but ultimately it doesn't live up to the expectations. We each had grilled fish (one haddock, the other halibut) fish was fine everything else on the plate was Not recognizable and tasteless. Apple fritters with fish didn't really match the flavor and were mostly breading and no apple taste. We had crime brûlée and strawberry soufflé for dessert. Soufflé was fine, the crime brûlée was a bit heavy. The price is way too high for the food, although the setting and the very formal ambience and low noise level were appealing. There is no a la carte option on menu.Special Features:
- The White Barn InnJimADined on 8/9/2014Spent a special evening at The White Barn Inn to celebrate our anniversary. It was all we expected it to be and more. The atmosphere was warm and intimate, the wait staff was professional and knowledgeable and the food was spectacular. My wife had the Tenderloin and in her words "it was the best she ever tasted" and I had the veal which was excellent. Although this is a very expensive destination it is wonderful if you want to make your evening a memorable occasion.Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/9/2014The White Barn Inn is a very special restaurant! The food and the service are spectacular. I ordered the quail and foie gras appetizer, and it was fabulous! My husband ordered the scallop appetizer, and he thought that it was delicious. We both ordered the lobster which is served on a bed of homemade fettuccine. It is a very special presentation and one of the most delicious entrées ever! For dessert, we both ordered the strawberry soufflé with a chocolate cap on top. It was light and full of flavor! We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Longer a Good Value IMODiamondraterDined on 8/9/2014I've eaten at White Barn Inn about 5 times and sad to say we won't be going back. I just spent $640 for the tasting menu with wine for two last Saturday night. Food was fine and service excellent, but simply not worth the money! There are just too many good restaurants in Maine now that we could have had 3 excellent dining experiences for the same cost, re: Fore Street, Primo, Timber, etc. That said, the place was full so I assume they are still doing well. I've eaten in top restaurants around the world and this was the most I've ever spent for dinner - and I left feeling a bit taken.....paying less for food and more for the name, chef reputation and rating.Special Features:
- this one is a ten (10)sgolden876Dined on 8/9/2014great restaurant, service was amazing, food fantastic, just perfect all around ,,, highly recommend this placeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/2014Dining at the White Barn Inn is a wonderful experience. The service is impeccable without being uncomfortable. The lobster in coral butter was out of this world. Our funny experience was the dessert. You order it up front but beware, they serve a pre-dessert then after you consume the dessert you ordered, they serve a post dessert! And, as we were leaving they offered another little dessert bite to go! Very sweet.Special Features:
- Not worth the costZbygDined on 8/8/2014Don't know how it got such great reviews on Yelp. Had the tasting menu. Food was just OK as were the wine pairings. Expect much more for $1200 for four people. There are many servers but when coffee was served it sat cooling in our cups while we waited for cream and sugar. Not a World Class experience!
- Our all time favorite dining spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014The White Barn Inn Restaurant offers superb meal preparation along with the superb service. We highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicest Restaurant Ever!MickeyHerbDined on 8/7/2014The White Barn Inn might be the nicest restaurant I have ever had the plaeasure of experiencing. Very expensive, but worth every penny. Best lobster dish by far I have ever consumed. Everything was exquisite and delicious. My friend and I and our wives went and we didn't have jackets which are required, but we were enciouraged to come anyway, and we slipped on jackets that the Inn has there for guests to wear. It was painless. A perfect place for any special occasion!Special Features:
- White barnjoesDined on 8/6/2014Excellent food and atmosphere. Service was a little slow. Beautiful space. Could use valet parking in the large dark parking lot it shares with an innSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/6/2014The White Barn Inn is the BEST restaurant in every way! The decor is gorgeous, the service is outstanding, and the food is scrumptious! For appetizers, we had the quail and foie gras, the rabbit, and the lobster spring rolls. All were perfect! The lobster entree on a bed of homemade fettuccini is fabulous! Two of us ordered that. The halibut was also delicious! We had 2 different souflees for dessert. One was inside a crepe, and the other was strawberry with a chocolate cap! We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For older not too discerning crowd40ishFoodiesDined on 8/4/2014A restaurant resting on its laurels, unfortunately. The decor is dated - contrived outdoor scenes with wheelbarrows and bird bath features. A decor that probably worked well 40 years ago (my grandmother would love it!). With a quiet (almost comatose) atmosphere. Although they didn't crumb the table, the service was suburb! Even the busboy was charming. The food, however, was disappointing and uninspired. Appetizers were beautifully presented and tasty. Intermezzos (lobster bisque & chilled soup) were bland (neither of us finished them). Entree fish was overcooked and not terribly fresh, veal was flavorless. Desserts weren't worth finishing either. A disappointing, overpriced experience I cannot recommend. ($440 for 2 people - incl tip)
- Awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Service, presentation, taste, selection, timing. One of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at in my life and I have been to over 96 countries and 42 states. Incredible experience and very romatic. They even asked what the occasion was when I made my reservation and whe they sat my wife they told her Happy Birthday, then spelled it on her desert plate in chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Since it was our first time at the White Barn and having attended many Relais et Chateaux in the past (all of them in Quebec, New York and France) we were quite disappointed with the quality, presentation on the food. We found that no extra attention was brought to each plate (such as choice of ingredients, appealing to the eye and the tastebuds). For example, the amuse-bouche and the parmesan mousse tasted like they came straight out of the fridge and not freshly done. The cream of asparagus was not a cream but a bouillon since it was so clear. As for the vegetables accompanying our main dishes, they were EXTREMELY salty. The pre-dessert was good, however there was a thin crust over the choclate mousse. Very poor supper!
- AmazingbzgirlDined on 8/1/2014So, Providence is our food scene and everything is measured against "Gracie's" which in our mind has Michelin stars... The White Barn Inn started out slow and we were rather gloating (nicely) that Gracie's had it beat (and without the actual Michelin stars)...then came the deconstructed Duck Benedict and we perked up...and when the lamb two ways arrived we had to admit (albeit reluctantly) that we could understand why the White Barn Inn received it's star....exquisite melding of flavors with the duck. Hollandaise burst out of its small encrusted square bathing the duck prosciutto and egg. The lamb was melt in your mouth and the fiddlehead ferns were the perfect complement. Cheese board was broad and deep...loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent excellenceSLL99Dined on 7/29/2014We have eaten at the White Barn Inn for nearly 20 years and each time the food, service, and overall experience is top notch. To our surprise, we misread our open table reminder email and arrived at the restaurant 30 minutes late - not even a word from the maître d' who sat us immediately. Would waiter Ryan was professional but relaxed which we prefer. Food was excellent especially enjoyed the veal amuse and the inventively prepared grand mariner soufflé for desert. Extensive wine list. A restaurant not to miss while in kennebunkport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutsandingK2R2Dined on 7/27/2014We went to White Barn with little idea of their impressive offerings. We were, however delighted to find an outstanding and impressive menu, ambiance and service. Hardly inexpensive but well worth the money. My wife and I have eaten at many good restaurants, this place however was outstanding. Dont take your little ones, but do take your apetite and your wallet. Gentlemen, remember to wear a jacket, I didn't know of the requirement, but was provided one with grace and style..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience just lovely- food OKChristyDined on 7/27/2014We had a lovely romantic dinner at the White Barn Inn and spent the night as well to celebrate our anniversary. Unfortunately the dinner was a bit of let-down -(breakfast the next morning was nice, though) - There was just something left to be desired for the cost of the dinner. The unique food combinations and plating were just not there and the desserts (both mine and my spouse) weren't particularly impressive. They do bring out a dessert tray with small bites at the end which was yummy but since it is a (single cost for the 4-course meal, you get another dessert too.) Don't get me wrong: the food was very good- it just wasn't at a 4 or 5 star level. I would highly recommend the inn but I'm not so sure that I would return for dinner.Special Features:
- ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Exquisite and outstanding. The service was impeccable. The decor (the flowers) charming and the ambiance was delicateSpecial Features:
- Great for FoodiesPsm1234Dined on 7/19/2014This is the best meal I ever had world wide. The fee of one hundred nine per person was well worth it. This Inn caters to you from the moment you enter the parking lot. The staff is formal yet friendly and easy to converse with. You are given several small samples before and after you meal. There is even a pre-desert! My wife and I had Souffles for dessert. That is included in your diner fee. I felt this place was a bargain for what we received. We aren't big wine drinkers but if I returned I would do the wine pairing. The people I saw doing that seemed to be enjoying themselves. The atmosphere was quiet with piano music in the background.Special Features:
- Never disappointsluvgreatdiningexperiencesDined on 7/19/2014We dined at the White Barn Inn several times during the 1990's. A return trip to Maine provided us with another chance to return to this special dining spot - we were not disappointed! Service, food, ambiance were all outstanding. We only wish we lived closer so we could enjoy this treat more regularly. It is not inexpensive but it is a fabulous treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant ExperienceTomMDined on 7/18/2014The experience begins when you arrive at the compound and the valets take your car and escort you to the door. In this case we made a one day mistake in arriving at the restaurant a day before the reservation -- as if it were no effort they arranged an excellent table with a terrific view of the garden and made us feel comfortable. The service experience continued throughout the meal with just the right amount of attention and privacy. The menu us based upon the best of in season local produce. This is an experience to be savored. I cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- Five stars for a five starap66Dined on 7/17/2014The White Barn Inn certainly does it right. An incredible meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experiencePenGwynDined on 7/15/2014While the food was imaginative and delicious it falls somewhat short of that fifth star. What really made this visit unforgettable was the friendly and efficient staff. We were the first table to arrive at 6:30 and when they asked if we wanted to see the kitchen and meet the chef they totally won me over. The chef likes to deconstruct dishes, e.g., a duck Benedict which had a piece of duck here, an egg yolk there and several other pieces to assemble. Consequently in several dishes the whole was more than the sum of their parts. We counted three dessert courses in addition to the one we ordered. All this in a charmingly preserved barn- worth a trip for anyone visiting southern Maine.Special Features:
- Amazing experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/12/2014Outstanding food and exceptional service. We had a wonderful experience dining and staying at the White Barn Inn. The service is better than any 5 star big city restaurant and hotel. Attention to detail was superb! Looking forward to returning!Special Features:
- Impeccable and superbCredcoveDined on 7/11/2014Absolutely superb. In every single way. Do I need say more. From the moment we drove into the driveway to walking through the door. Everything was top notch and superb. Service was absolutely awesome. Food just incredible. A real wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jackatbcDined on 7/11/2014the service was : impeccable the food was ; a culinary delight the ambience was; heavenlySpecial Features:
- So special!Lu324VIPDined on 7/7/2014My favorite place! A converted barn makes the perfect setting for the lovely service and amazing food! Don't miss it if you go to Kennebunkport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperiencePittFoodiesDined on 7/3/2014Celebrated our anniversary here and had a fabulous time. The food and wine pairing was amazing. Highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- sodbustersodbusterDined on 7/2/2014This place is amazing. Every detail is attended to. I intend to go back at least annually. It is expensive so can't justify much more than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceBoston101Dined on 6/28/2014We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary at the White Barn Inn. The restaurant was everything we could have wished for. Lovely, romantic setting with amazing food and service.Special Features:
- Excellent as usualjcarrmeVIPDined on 6/27/2014never disappointed when dining here. Food and service are impeccable.Special Features:
- OutstandingTibojDined on 6/25/2014What can I say? Everything was amazing but such quality and service comes at a price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in everywayJoJo31Dined on 6/24/2014Outstanding in everyway. My expectations were beyond exceeded from the ambiance to the spectacular food and stellar service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingbentleyjrtVIPDined on 6/24/2014We have been coming here for many years, and were extremely disappointed with our recent dinner. The food quality was nothing extraordinary, which is not typical for the White Barn. Maybe the regular chef was off but it was a big disappointment.Special Features: