White Barn Inn
37 Beach Avenue
Kennebunk, ME 04043Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
White Barn Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.whitebarninn.com/
- Phone: 2079672321x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm -9:30pm, Friday - Sunday: 5:30pm -9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Cartwright
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are offered in the White Barn Inn Wine Cellar. The Cellar seats 10-15 guests. Offered year round, seating at 7:30pm.
- Entertainment: Talented Jazz Pianist entertains evenings.
A word from White Barn Inn
Fine American cuisine served in a fabulously converted barn. The White Barn Inn Restaurant is a AAA Five Diamond, Forbes Five Star and Relais Gourmand property with four course Prix Fixe Menu at $109 per person, and subject to availability, a nine course Prix Fixe menu at $165 per person, both featuring the finest fresh local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
White Barn Inn - Best Restaurants in Kennebunkport ›
White Barn Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (128)romantic (122)fit for foodies (91)notable wine list (85)scenic view (17)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (4)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Beautiful spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/21/2014Took my parents here for their 54th anniversary Sunday night. The restaurant is beautiful and a really nice spot to celebrate a special occasion. Be prepared to spend at least $150.00 per person. This was the 4 course dinner vs their 9 course dinner which is the only other option priced at $165.pp without tax, tip or drinks. Appetizer small but good, the next course was good but again small.My dinner, fettuccine topped with lobster;pasta mushy and lobster was under cooked. One other dinner, Veal, small portion was cold. Better to go with either their Duck or Steak. Both were very good. they did take off $109 but considering this is a 5 star restaurant I fully expected more. Comped extra desert as well. I'd pass on this place.Special Features:
- Worth the hype!SBBohVIPDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I celebrate 2 anniversaries - our wedding date and also our official "start of the relationship" date. The latter happens to be 16 years so we wanted to get away and also indulge. I had heard about the White Barn from friends and had to check it out. The service made you feel like royalty! And the food was divine - such a lively dining experience! The wine list also topped off the exquisite food. Very expensive but worth it if you are looking for a lovely and special dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belated 30th Wedding AnniversaryWeloveOGTDined on 9/18/2014This is certainly where you would want to spend a special occasion. We were greeted as Mr and Mrs ** by the hostess and our server Niels. The service was impeccable! We are not 'foodies', but thoroughly enjoy good food, and each course of our dinner was delicious and beautifully presented. The entire evening was perfect, especially when our desserts arrived with a candle and "Happy 30th Wedding Anniversary" written on the plate. (It had been mentioned to Andrew when confirming this reservation that we had to cancel in June when we were going to celebrate our anniversary, and were looking forward to finally dining there.) It was worth waiting to celebrate here!Special Features:
- LouisDined on 9/15/2014We both had the lobster entree: the meat seemed much less fresh and flavorful than the meat served at two local restaurants in their lobster rolls. Our waiter brought a "pre dessert" before our dessert, then dessert, then a metal "Christmas tree" rack with a variety of sweets, and finally a small basket of sweet baked goods--even though we had clearly said it was just too much food.
- Anniversary DinnerahammerDined on 9/12/2014This is our third time to White Barn Inn and the most disappointing. Something has changed in the kitchen. A first course risotto with scallops provided delicious scallop but no sign of risotto, and corn chowder was bland. The main course halibut was overcooked and very dry. For dessert the blueberry soufflé was wonderful, but the peach creme brûlée was disappointing. It is peach season and they were hard a to cut even with a knife.Special Features:
- FantasticpaceripleyDined on 9/11/2014Very expensive. Very worth it. Excellent service. Great value. Beware of the incredibly expensive wine and alcohol list (or not). A meal for the memories. Remember to bring a jacket!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceTrytostaylocalVIPDined on 9/11/2014Everyone at The White Barn makes you feel like you are the only ones dining there. The chef prepares everything to perfection. The presentation is outstanding, the food, wine, ambience, I cannot say enough about this play. Hands down the BEST place to go for that special occasion. Never disappointed !Special Features:
- WendyDined on 9/10/2014It was a perfect spot for our wedding anniversary. They gave us the best table (view of garden) and service was excellent. I heard other diners say it was the best restaurant in Maine--we don't live in Maine, but would guess that they are right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enjoyable eveningnickVIPDined on 9/10/2014We enjoyed our evening at the White Barn Inn. A pretty setting, hospitable and friendly service and good, but not great, food.Special Features:
- Nourishment for the palate and soulLorettaDined on 9/9/2014A dinner at the White Barn Inn is that rare opportunity to be transformed by a culinary experience during which all of the senses are seduced and massaged in a manner most exquisite and satisfying. The imaginatively prepared and brilliantly presented cuisine infuses the palate with an extraordinary blend of flavors and textures; the humble, yet breathtaking decor envelops the diner in a virtual sanctuary to gastronomy; and the meticulous, knowledgeable, yet always deft and subtle ministrations by the wait staff further enhances the experience. In the end, this is a meal that is truly food for the soul.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the experiencebluedog71Dined on 9/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed the experience. The service was superior, food excellent, and very upscale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five-Star Dinner!LoveToCookDined on 9/8/2014Our group of five had dinner here, and what an experience it was! Most in our group opted for the multi-course chef's sampler menu, complete with wine pairings, and none of us were disappointed! The remaining member of our party, who ordered from the standard four-course menu, was equally pleased with his selections. The food was outstanding and the service equally so. The waitstaff was comprised of a head waiter for our table and numerous assistants. The service was attentive, professional, and friendly! This is dining at its best, and made for the perfect send-off dinner seeing as we were leaving for home the next day. Don your nice clothes and be prepared to spend a little money, but in doing so, you will be in for a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable eveningMemorableDined on 9/7/2014Albeit expensive, the food and attentiveness reached new heights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food needs improvingJamesDined on 9/7/2014Ambiance and service was wonderful. Food just fair. We ordered lobster bisque and it was burned and left a horrible taste in our mouth. No apology was offered and they only said "would you like something else" Lobster dish was attractively presented but very tough. Desert was fair. I ordered creme brule and that was good but other items on the dish were a poor decision. A doughnut, several pieces of unripe peach, and a couple items I cannot describe.Special Features:
- An over-rated restaurant.MeandMyLadyDined on 9/6/2014Our particular server was less than enthusiastic. He did not provide descriptions of the entrees. The food was generally good but not exceptional. I've definitely had better lobster. The locals call it the white elephant instead of the white barn.Special Features:
- Close but no CigarFoodisLoveDined on 9/5/2014It's the most expensive restaurant in town and so when our first courses, quail and rabbit were overcooked, the first impression unfortunately was a lasting one. The second courses, lobster bisque and gazpacho were above foodie average - though Im not a gazpacho conoisseur so I can't speak for that (my wife liked it - not enough for a return visit though) but my lobster bisque did have a devine quality that I'm still thinking about, but not enough to justify the $300+ dinner because I still can't fathom the overcooked appetizers, the size of which are a single mouthful so if you don't get it right the whole experience of the dish is dashed. Main dishes were excellent. Service, too. Empty for a Friday night which is the most telling detail.
- Dining adventure!ImpressMeDined on 9/5/2014We are occasional visitors, this one being our wedding anniversary. The White Barn Inn Restaurant is an experience! The ambience is extremely relaxing and comforting, being somewhat rustic, very well lit, with piano accompaniment to the evening's orchestration. Once again we had chosen the Tasting Menu with the suggested Wine Pairing, by this surrendering ourselves to the adventure in fine dining that The White Barn continues to provide. Each course in the nine course menu was an exciting discovery in flavor pairings that we truly loved and appreciated! The service was exemplary from when we first drove in to when we left - a feeling of being care for very well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated creative gourmetLatinlover1Dined on 9/4/2014Top notch in service, creativity of food second to none, the "bison tataki" was off the charts, the presentation of the congnac infused pasta lobster was 99 points, our server was professional, fun and knowledgable. We will return....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything great but the food...chuckmac07VIPDined on 9/4/2014service was superb and setting is gorgeous, but food was inconsistent, especially given the very high prices. terrific salad and scallop/corn apps were followed up with nicely-prepared but fishy-tasting haddock and dull, lifeless halibut (it almost seemed like part of the recipe had been forgotten). then desserts, which are included in price fixe menu, were left largely uneaten, as both (cheesecake and blueberry souffle) were odd-tasting, bland and oddly textured. the Inn is great, the setting is beautiful and the service was attentive and unhurried, but we came for the food and it was uneven and disappointing. i'm just not sure this is the restaurant it used to be strictly from a food standpoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the rep and prices.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014Outstanding. Personable and elegant. Food was very good. Great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionVinalDined on 9/2/2014We were there for my wife's birthday and our anniversary and everything was wonderful. We went with the wine pairings and our server allowed us to taste before serving so we would not get something we did not like.The service was excellent, not over bearing in your face. Andy our server was very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to its fabulous reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014As wonderful as we had hoped and expected. Absolutely delicious, every bite to be savored and appreciated. Taste, presentation, seasonal touches - all terrific. Lobster was perfect, blueberry ice cream was divine. Wine and cocktails also did not disappoint. Service was in line with expectation, though some staff really went above and beyond, especially the maître d. Perfect romantic dinner or enjoyable experience for any true foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too high endjackscriticDined on 8/26/2014Although this was a nice place it is definitely not for a tourist. When we were seated the menu stated 4 course meal. The pice was $109 and if you wanted the wine pairing it was $189. It was a bit high end and the main course which was a lazy lobster over linguini was superb.....I feel there were so many other nicer and less expensive places to go this was too much. The only cars in the lot were the rich locals. I did nit even see the Bush's there!Special Features:
- An excellent dining experienceLeve7430Dined on 8/25/2014Fantastic food and service. This restaurant never disappoints. Bring your appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfull ExperiencePed42Dined on 8/25/2014We have heard about the dining experience here for years but had not tried it. We certainly will dine here again on all future trips to the area. Aff courses were well thought out, expertly prepared, and presented beautifully. Our server Ryan knew the menu and the wine list well. His suggestions were excellent. Truly a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- foodiefoodieDined on 8/25/2014Dinner and service was excellent,The lobster was the very best I have ever had.the blueberry soufflé was very good .Would not recommend the asparagus lobster soup,it was bland.We would definitely recommend it to our FriendsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014I was not happy with the place at all, and from the lack of customers I can see why. Over priced, way TOO stuffy for the state of Maine. When I arrived they told me I had to wear a jacket, no mention of this when I made the reservation. Would not recommend this to anyone.
- wonderful eveningmmreiDined on 8/22/2014We recently visited for an anniversary dinner--the service was terrific and the food was excellent, from the amuse bouche to the post-dessert sweets. We never lacked for a thing but the servers were not intrusive. My favorite? The duck--and that amazing pre-dessert (yes, there were pre and post dessert sweets!) peanut-butter chocolate....cloud? Teeny serving, just right, and quite heavenly.Special Features:
- A must dineBarclaysbossDined on 8/20/2014The food and service was superb. It was an enjoyable and impressive dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THEBESTDined on 8/20/2014Exceptional service, Exceptional food, Exceptional facility, what else would you want? We were very pleased with an exceptional evening that lasted close to three hours. I have had the privilege of eating dinner in many restaurants across Europe and Asia as well as in the United States and would rank the White Barn at the very top of the list. My first experience at the White Barn was over 20 years ago and I never forgot that experience. I won't let so many years go buy without returning. Life is good and this is what makes life so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, very priceyYorkdinerDined on 8/20/2014Food was good to excellent, service excellent, dinner for two, martini each and a glass of wine, was it worth $360, that's the question. Live in area, can go to other restaurants for half the price and have just as good as experience. My wife is very happy, and I am because it's off her bucket list.Special Features:
- Very disappointingWabuDined on 8/20/2014After explaining on the phone and at check in that this was a birthday celebration(and made it clear to the hostess which one of us we were celebrating) the evening opened with our waitress saying, "I understand we're celebrating an anniversary tonight?" My sister liked her lobster and our son his tenderloin but the other food was surprisingly mediocre.The asparagus soup and parmesan mousse were tasteless, and the salmon entree was not seasoned at all.The wait staff dramatically bringing the food all at once rings hollow when water glasses aren't refilled all evening. As a capper, the candled dessert was brought to the wrong person.At $109 per person, this was over-priced experience-we were all sad to see how far this restaurant has fallen.
- Our first visit The White Barn InnGindyRDined on 8/19/2014Our first visit to The White Barn Inn was excellent. The service was impeccable although a bit stiff-as if the servers were acting in a play. The food was great but the most memorable thing were the desserts! My husband had the chocolate soufflé and I had the Peach Creme Brûlée. Both were fabulous but my Creme Brûlée plate was one of the best I ever had. We will definitely make this a yearly event when we visit Maine!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014A beautiful experience. Great food with super service. A must do any time of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic eveningFoodsnobDined on 8/15/2014The White Barn Inn was a wonderful spot to celebrate our 10th anniversary. The entire staff was great, greeting us warmly. The food was delicious. It was very quiet and formal, so if you are uncomfortable with near silence, pick another restaurant. The desserts were amazing, so save room! You will leave about $400 poorer at minimum, but it is a special place, worth the price tag for a special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptional,as always.guypDined on 8/15/2014The quality of this restaurant has remained constant through the years.For us it has become a "classic",and we don't miss a chance to go back whenever we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/15/2014We have been to White Barn Inn many times and each visit meets or exceeds the already high standard. The lobster dishes are particularly outstanding.
- The Best Fine Dining in MainephantomtravelerVIPDined on 8/13/2014This is truly the best fine dining in Maine. The food is outastanding, he wine list top notch, and the service is simply excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell Short of ExpectationsTwiggsDined on 8/11/2014In a check off the boxes sort of way, the White Barn was everything it was supposed to be -- elegant, creative, fresh, "special", etc. But my overall reaction was: pompous, self important, scripted and middle-aged. I'd rather go to a less fusty joint trying to create a reputation than this matron trying more or less to live up to one -- especially for the $$$$$. The recipes seemed more contrived than creative. The service hinted -- just hinted -- that the staff was more important than the diners.Special Features:
- Expensive disappointmentlaeaterrrrVIPDined on 8/10/2014After hearing that White Barn Inn was a Michelin like experience, we were excited to add this to our itinerary. Where do I begin. This is nothing like a Michelin restaurant. We ordered the reserve pairing and I was served a $40 dollar bottle of wine that tasted like water with my main course. We ordered flat water after a bottle of pellegrino and the waitress poured the flat water into our glasses that were still half full of sparkling. The asparagus soup had zero taste. The wine was bland, food was bland, service was bizarre which overall was disappointing but with the price tag is worth a scathing review. Not worth the time, money, or calories. The one redeeming factor was the pianist.