White Barn Inn
37 Beach Avenue
Kennebunk, ME 04043Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
White Barn Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.whitebarninn.com/
- Phone: (207) 967-2321
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm -9:30pm, Friday - Sunday: 5:30pm -9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Cartwright
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are offered in the White Barn Inn Wine Cellar. The Cellar seats 10-15 guests. Offered year round, seating at 7:30pm.
- Entertainment: Talented Jazz Pianist entertains evenings.
A word from White Barn Inn
Fine American cuisine served in a fabulously converted barn. The White Barn Inn Restaurant is a AAA Five Diamond, Forbes Five Star and Relais Gourmand property with four course Prix Fixe Menu at $109 per person, and subject to availability, a nine course Prix Fixe menu at $165 per person, both featuring the finest fresh local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
White Barn Inn - Best Restaurants in Kennebunkport ›
White Barn Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (117)romantic (110)fit for foodies (93)notable wine list (78)neighborhood gem (17)scenic view (10)good for groups (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Service, presentation, taste, selection, timing. One of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at in my life and I have been to over 96 countries and 42 states. Incredible experience and very romatic. They even asked what the occasion was when I made my reservation and whe they sat my wife they told her Happy Birthday, then spelled it on her desert plate in chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Since it was our first time at the White Barn and having attended many Relais et Chateaux in the past (all of them in Quebec, New York and France) we were quite disappointed with the quality, presentation on the food. We found that no extra attention was brought to each plate (such as choice of ingredients, appealing to the eye and the tastebuds). For example, the amuse-bouche and the parmesan mousse tasted like they came straight out of the fridge and not freshly done. The cream of asparagus was not a cream but a bouillon since it was so clear. As for the vegetables accompanying our main dishes, they were EXTREMELY salty. The pre-dessert was good, however there was a thin crust over the choclate mousse. Very poor supper!
- AmazingbzgirlDined on 8/1/2014So, Providence is our food scene and everything is measured against "Gracie's" which in our mind has Michelin stars... The White Barn Inn started out slow and we were rather gloating (nicely) that Gracie's had it beat (and without the actual Michelin stars)...then came the deconstructed Duck Benedict and we perked up...and when the lamb two ways arrived we had to admit (albeit reluctantly) that we could understand why the White Barn Inn received it's star....exquisite melding of flavors with the duck. Hollandaise burst out of its small encrusted square bathing the duck prosciutto and egg. The lamb was melt in your mouth and the fiddlehead ferns were the perfect complement. Cheese board was broad and deep...loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent excellenceSLL99Dined on 7/29/2014We have eaten at the White Barn Inn for nearly 20 years and each time the food, service, and overall experience is top notch. To our surprise, we misread our open table reminder email and arrived at the restaurant 30 minutes late - not even a word from the maître d' who sat us immediately. Would waiter Ryan was professional but relaxed which we prefer. Food was excellent especially enjoyed the veal amuse and the inventively prepared grand mariner soufflé for desert. Extensive wine list. A restaurant not to miss while in kennebunkport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 874 reviews are from the White Barn Inn reviews archive.
- OutsandingK2R2Dined on 7/27/2014We went to White Barn with little idea of their impressive offerings. We were, however delighted to find an outstanding and impressive menu, ambiance and service. Hardly inexpensive but well worth the money. My wife and I have eaten at many good restaurants, this place however was outstanding. Dont take your little ones, but do take your apetite and your wallet. Gentlemen, remember to wear a jacket, I didn't know of the requirement, but was provided one with grace and style..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience just lovely- food OKChristyDined on 7/27/2014We had a lovely romantic dinner at the White Barn Inn and spent the night as well to celebrate our anniversary. Unfortunately the dinner was a bit of let-down -(breakfast the next morning was nice, though) - There was just something left to be desired for the cost of the dinner. The unique food combinations and plating were just not there and the desserts (both mine and my spouse) weren't particularly impressive. They do bring out a dessert tray with small bites at the end which was yummy but since it is a (single cost for the 4-course meal, you get another dessert too.) Don't get me wrong: the food was very good- it just wasn't at a 4 or 5 star level. I would highly recommend the inn but I'm not so sure that I would return for dinner.Special Features:
- ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Exquisite and outstanding. The service was impeccable. The decor (the flowers) charming and the ambiance was delicateSpecial Features:
- Great for FoodiesPsm1234Dined on 7/19/2014This is the best meal I ever had world wide. The fee of one hundred nine per person was well worth it. This Inn caters to you from the moment you enter the parking lot. The staff is formal yet friendly and easy to converse with. You are given several small samples before and after you meal. There is even a pre-desert! My wife and I had Souffles for dessert. That is included in your diner fee. I felt this place was a bargain for what we received. We aren't big wine drinkers but if I returned I would do the wine pairing. The people I saw doing that seemed to be enjoying themselves. The atmosphere was quiet with piano music in the background.Special Features:
- Never disappointsluvgreatdiningexperiencesDined on 7/19/2014We dined at the White Barn Inn several times during the 1990's. A return trip to Maine provided us with another chance to return to this special dining spot - we were not disappointed! Service, food, ambiance were all outstanding. We only wish we lived closer so we could enjoy this treat more regularly. It is not inexpensive but it is a fabulous treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant ExperienceTomMDined on 7/18/2014The experience begins when you arrive at the compound and the valets take your car and escort you to the door. In this case we made a one day mistake in arriving at the restaurant a day before the reservation -- as if it were no effort they arranged an excellent table with a terrific view of the garden and made us feel comfortable. The service experience continued throughout the meal with just the right amount of attention and privacy. The menu us based upon the best of in season local produce. This is an experience to be savored. I cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- Five stars for a five starap66Dined on 7/17/2014The White Barn Inn certainly does it right. An incredible meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experiencePenGwynDined on 7/15/2014While the food was imaginative and delicious it falls somewhat short of that fifth star. What really made this visit unforgettable was the friendly and efficient staff. We were the first table to arrive at 6:30 and when they asked if we wanted to see the kitchen and meet the chef they totally won me over. The chef likes to deconstruct dishes, e.g., a duck Benedict which had a piece of duck here, an egg yolk there and several other pieces to assemble. Consequently in several dishes the whole was more than the sum of their parts. We counted three dessert courses in addition to the one we ordered. All this in a charmingly preserved barn- worth a trip for anyone visiting southern Maine.Special Features:
- Amazing experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/12/2014Outstanding food and exceptional service. We had a wonderful experience dining and staying at the White Barn Inn. The service is better than any 5 star big city restaurant and hotel. Attention to detail was superb! Looking forward to returning!Special Features:
- Impeccable and superbCredcoveDined on 7/11/2014Absolutely superb. In every single way. Do I need say more. From the moment we drove into the driveway to walking through the door. Everything was top notch and superb. Service was absolutely awesome. Food just incredible. A real wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jackatbcDined on 7/11/2014the service was : impeccable the food was ; a culinary delight the ambience was; heavenlySpecial Features:
- So special!Lu324VIPDined on 7/7/2014My favorite place! A converted barn makes the perfect setting for the lovely service and amazing food! Don't miss it if you go to Kennebunkport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperiencePittFoodiesVIPDined on 7/3/2014Celebrated our anniversary here and had a fabulous time. The food and wine pairing was amazing. Highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- sodbustersodbusterDined on 7/2/2014This place is amazing. Every detail is attended to. I intend to go back at least annually. It is expensive so can't justify much more than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceBoston101Dined on 6/28/2014We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary at the White Barn Inn. The restaurant was everything we could have wished for. Lovely, romantic setting with amazing food and service.Special Features:
- Excellent as usualjcarrmeVIPDined on 6/27/2014never disappointed when dining here. Food and service are impeccable.Special Features:
- OutstandingTibojDined on 6/25/2014What can I say? Everything was amazing but such quality and service comes at a price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in everywayJoJo31Dined on 6/24/2014Outstanding in everyway. My expectations were beyond exceeded from the ambiance to the spectacular food and stellar service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingbentleyjrtVIPDined on 6/24/2014We have been coming here for many years, and were extremely disappointed with our recent dinner. The food quality was nothing extraordinary, which is not typical for the White Barn. Maybe the regular chef was off but it was a big disappointment.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2014Very nice restaurant for a really special occasion because it is very expensive...over $300 for a meal for two! Exceptional food, service and ambiance, but not sure it is worth that much money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly memorable diningcthgDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and were given a gift of dining at The White Barn Inn. From the moment we walked into the Inn we knew we were about to experience dining like we never have. Starting off with a wonderfully smooth drink to being seated at a romantic table, each course was presented by to us beautifully, and each plate served was delicious. The service was outstanding! Thanks to the White Barn Inn to making our night special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BeeBeeDined on 6/21/2014The White Barn Inn is amazing. From the food to the wine list to the service, everything is over the top. Truly a special place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationKejeeDined on 6/21/2014This was our second visit to the White Barn, the first was amazing. This time the food wasn't quite as good and the service and level of detail have slipped a little. We brought friends who had never been there and who were looking forward to the experience, they were very disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a 5 star restaurant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014We went to the White Barn Inn to experience our first 5 star restaurant. The interior is beautifully restored and the wait staff was welcoming and attentive. The food, however, is the source of an overall disappointing impression of our evening. The presentation was attractive and the ingredients fresh, but there seemed to be an overall lack of a *wow* factor you would expect from a 5 star restaurant. The duck was incredibly tough and after letting the wait staff know, the reply was, "I'll let chef know," and that was it. And finally, the cost of this multi-course meal seemed so out of proportion for what we received. We have had much nicer meals elsewhere for much less money. We will not be going back and would not recommend it.Special Features:
- Entree failthekernelDined on 6/14/2014Both our entrees were too salty and pretty tasteless. All other courses were excellent.Special Features:
- Desserts, Desserts, DessertsjoeeDined on 6/14/2014This heading tells it all, from my count we had 4 different desserts. If you like desserts your going to love this restaurant. My meal was a little salty but that's my fault for not telling the staff.Special Features:
- BW02012014Dined on 6/8/2014The veal had a fowl taste partial due to using lemon. The duck was real fatty and tough. The lobster was excellent. If the clean up the food the restaurant would easily get a five star.Special Features:
- lovely romantic celebrationMango04106Dined on 6/7/2014a fine dining experience for celebrating special occasions and romance. The wine pairing option was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost worth the spend but notmmfoodiesDined on 6/7/2014It's a rare day that I feel compelled to write a review - and as a matter of fact,this is my first ever on OT. I'll get right to the point on this past weekend's experience. The good: As expected with this level of dining - perfect service with outstanding ambience = a great recipe for a special night. White Barn Inn absolutely delivers on these elements. The food: In a word - disappointed. If I'm going to spend north of $300 on a culinary experience, it needs to deliver. This unfortunately did not. Quick take my journey: Lobster Bisque (2/5) = Where's the lobster? Flavor was just 'ok', not elevated. Sweet Corn Chowder (5/5) Amazing. Duck Entrée (2/5) - Duck was tough, flavor profile = bland. Plating = 5/5Special Features:
- Not my cup of tea...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2014It is a beautiful restaurant with great service. Almost too good... you know, when you feel like everyone is standing over your shoulder. But, very good and our waitress was lovely. It is also VERY quiet. So, if you are looking for fun or just a little laughter(which, I do) it's not there. I typically love duck. However, my duck was think and way too salty...to the point of being uncomfortable and I couldn't finish my meal. My husband got fish and wasn't overly thrilled as well. For the price and reputation, you expect each bite to be amazing and it's just not. I like treating myself to fancy dinners but this one wasn't worth it.Special Features:
- I do not recommendWayfarerDined on 6/4/2014Wow! What a disappointment. I have dined at 5 star restaurants all over the US and Europe, and the White Barn absolutely does not qualify to be put in that category. There were so many things amiss, it is hard to know where to begin: the food was mediocre and completely forgettable (I had specified one vegan menu when I made the reservations, and I literally received a piece of cut, cold tofu on a lettuce leaf), the waitstaff were so rude and unprofessional that they were like caricatures -- honestly, I half expected we were being punk'd -- it was vastly overpriced, the art was odd and uninspired. We came out $1000 poorer, but much wiser. I would not dine there again if it were free. I suggest the Dockside for a charming dinner.
- foodiefoodieDined on 6/1/2014The food was outstanding along with the presentation we had a drink at the bar enjoyed the drink and the bartenderSpecial Features:
- Almost perfectLive4foodVIPDined on 6/1/2014After receiving poor service at Earth the service at The White Barn Inn was a relief. The four course prix-fixe was pretty good except for the intermezzo. We felt that the intermezzo should not be a choice for the menu but rather a soup and a sorbet should be brought to each guest just like the amuse bouche. The 2nd course of the pre-fixe should be a choice of another composed dish. The desert and cheese course were excellent. Although, like most restaurants offering this type of dining there were too many sweet courses. We would prefer more savory items, but maybe all we had to do was ask. Overall, a lot of fun and we would do it again, except we would go with the 9 course. It seems like it has more value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationKPWKDined on 5/31/2014Definitely a perfect dining experience from start to finish. We plan to make this a yearly tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New England's finest!Luv2eatoutVIPDined on 5/30/2014Expect to be taken care of here; from the time we pulled our car into the lot the attendant was right there to help us and parked our car. We were greeted at the front door and escorted to our table. Each food course was spectacular as well as the ambiance in this building that has very well trained, well dressed staff that are there to attend to your needs. As we were leaving the attendant had our car pulled up. For fine dining and for an evening you'll always remember, The White Barn is the best value around. Judy & John C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experiencecrmimiVIPDined on 5/29/2014We were met at the door by the maître d. The bartender was superb-giving me a sample of a scotch, and making a great MM old fashioned for my husband. It is a 4 course menu. We had a spring roll that was fabulous, followed by sweet corn chowder that left you wanting more. I had fish for the entrée, but wish I had had duck as my husband did. Much more flavor in the duck than the skate. Dessert was to die for. We each had a different soufflé, blueberry with blueberries and sauce in the center sided with blueberry frozen yogurt. and strawberry with chocolate sauce and frozen yogurt. That was followed by a pyramid of petite candies and tarts. Everything was superb. It is expensive, but worth the cost for the experience.Special Features: