281 Church Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
White and Church
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.whiteandchurch.com/
- Phone: 2122261607
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday & Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Matteo Boglione
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
White and Church is the brainchild of Chef Matteo Boglione, a native of Florence, Italy who likes to create modern dishes out of the more traditional plates and ingredients of his home cuisine. Here at White and Church we offer Italian cuisine with a twist.
Our full bar includes a diverse selection of wines and beers, as well as several kinds of liquors and special concoction of ingredients to create innovative cocktails.
A restaurant, bar, and lounge, White and Church offers different ambiances for the different tastes of our guests.
- Food was fantastic and interesting,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/21/2012Food was fantastic and interesting, cocktails were innovative and one-of-a-kind. Amazing value, fantastic food. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- The food was ok. The placeAshMVIPDined on 5/18/2012The food was ok. The place was dead quiet on a weekend night. Felt strange and empty.
- The food was very good, andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2012The food was very good, and the service was very nice as well. Will recommned to others.Special Features:
- The cocktail program is exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/12/2012The cocktail program is exceptional. Food is really interesting, and while there is not a ton of variety in the main courses (mostly pastas) everything was really delicious and satisfying.Special Features:
- I went with a group of girlfriends.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/21/2012I went with a group of girlfriends. The dishes were all so intriguing that we ordered a bunch of appetizers and shared them. Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- We were pleasantly surprised.elenaVIPDined on 3/20/2012We were pleasantly surprised. Excellent food, fresh, and interesting. Very attentive and friendly staff Look forward for eating there againSpecial Features:
- We were delighted to waitOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/18/2012We were delighted to wait for the friendly service, and didn't mind the very long wait as our cocktails were created. The small hand-made grapefruit margarita was too heavy on tequila (I'd rather drink straight-up if that's the case) but outside of the over-the-top artisanal cocktails, the menu was short but splendid. Italian fare. Pastas felt hand-made and sauces were delectable. BEST were the small appetizers, scrumptious every one. Desserts also fantastic. I'd go with bottles of wine and a tapas-style expectation. You'll be enthralled.Special Features:
- The food was all very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/14/2012The food was all very good. While the entree portions were a little small, I was full by the end and really enjoyed all the flavors. Got these dishes and recommend them all except one of the desserts: white polenta, artichoke croquettes, pappardelle (with ossobuco), short rib w/foie-gras, panna cotta, and eggplant millefoglie (this was interesting but not outstanding in any way).Special Features:
- I went with my dear friend.KatherineDined on 3/13/2012I went with my dear friend. We ordered the White Polenta and Roasted Porcini to start, which were both delicious, specifically the White Polenta. For our entree's we enjoyed Burrata Cheese Ravioli and Gnoddi, though the portions were small, after the appetizer it was just right. For dessert we devoured the Creme Brulee and Pana Cotta, both of which I highly recommend. We paired dinner with a nice bottle of Chardonnay. The atmosphere was great, the service was great. Very great option for a date or girls night.Special Features:
- Very small portions, ESP forItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012Portions were way too small. Our plates literally looked like they forgot to finish filling our plates. Definitely get apps before if you don't want to be starving after dinner. I thought that bc it was Italian that portions would be bigger, and didn't order apps....big mistake. I had the veal papardelle, which was delicious, but literally could have used 100% more food on my plate. Server was super nice though, and space was lovely. There was no music, so we were able to hear each other speak.Special Features:
- Creative cocktailsGloriacharleneDined on 2/25/2012Creative cocktails -- enjoyed the Moscow Minotaur. Delicious food -- would have liked more vegetable options, however.Special Features:
- The food was interesting,ChaunceyDined on 2/16/2012The food was interesting, adventurous, and notable; but the atmosphere/vibe was confused. Is it a restaurant or a hip cocktail lounge? This was exemplified by the speaker blaring music in my ear as I tried to eat dinner: enjoyable, I suppose, for the folks at the bar, but not conducive to a relaxing meal.Special Features:
- Not sure if it was becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Not sure if it was because it was Vday, but the service was absolutely atrocious. Waiting 20 minutes for cocktails and over an hour for two plates of pasta in a restaurant that is only 3/4 full is simply unacceptable. Will not return, which is a shame because it's a cool spot and has potential.
- We waited an hour and halfOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2012We waited an hour and half for our entrees before asking for the check. Appetizers were tasty. Was looking forward to sampling the main course.
- The food was pretty good,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/11/2012The food was pretty good, but for the prices, portions were small and not fancy enough to justify them. Same for the drinks--pretty good, but a couple dollars more than I felt they were worth. We had a good time though.
- The Pecorino cheese cremeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/10/2012The Pecorino cheese creme brulee and the tomato bread soup were both excellent and nice to have some somewhat atypical options. We'll definitely be back for more and to try other things. The people who work here were all super nice and it added to the experience of the place. Extra bonus, I left my laptop under the table and it was safe and sound the next day when I went running stressed out to retreive it. Big thanks to them for noticing and keeping track and being so great about the situation.Special Features:
- Great, Underrated Spot in Tribeca!aj454VIPDined on 1/22/2012The chef at White and Church is truly a creative guy. Everything on the menu is Italian, but a little different from anything you have probably tried before. For starters, the tomato-bread soup, pork and veal stuffed olives, artichoke croquettes and pecorino cheese creme brulee are fantastic. For entrees, the lazagnetta, carbonara and surprisingly the burger are all interesting takes on what would otherwise be very recognizable food. Also the drink menu here is very inventive and extensive.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2012Outstanding food, we were very impressed with the scallops and foie gras and squid starters. Great cocktail list and very attentive service. A true gem!Special Features:
- GREAT w/ a funny story!JoeDDined on 12/10/2011I had heard so many good things about White & Church that I just had to try it. I had a reservation for 6 people and when we got their seating was not an issue! We had plenty of room, yet the place was packed. We ordered almost all of the starters, which were excellent as were the entrees. The only down side to the whole experience was that our reservation was at 10pm and once we were seated we were told that one of artichoke croquette and steak were all gone. Not sure how to judge this because granted it was a late reservation, but steak you would think, is something that you would have on hand. In any event I did not let this affect my ratings. Make an earlier reservation!Special Features: