200 Monmouth Ave.
Spring Lake, NJ 07762Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.whispersrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7329749755x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for information on private parties
- Private Party Contact: Nicholas Bruno 7329749755x
A word from Whispers
Located inside the historic Hewitt-Wellington Hotel. Whispers has a Victorian feeling to it with crystal chandeliers, silver service, white linen table coverings and elegant fine dining. Whispers serves modern American food with an creative touch. Featuring select wines from Old York Cellars as well as the BYOB option.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Whispers - Best Restaurants in Spring Lake ›
Whispers reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)romantic (66)fit for foodies (56)neighborhood gem (42)scenic view (8)good for groups (8)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Quaint Romantic Place by the BeachOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014This is a great lovely place to dine in after the beach. It's connected to the hotel so I reckon most patrons are hotel guests. The food was very good and the service was close to excellent. The servers know the chef's specials well. The restaurant itself is BYOB but the do offer a listing of wine but only by the bottle or half-bottle nothing by the glass. We ordered the chef's special grilled swordfish with toasted orzo spinach pilaf, roasted duck special with parmesan risotto and raspberry demi glaze, and grilled octopus with ratatouille. The Chardonnay came from a local winery Old York in Ringoes NJ. We had a lovely dinner as it should always be.Special Features:
- Always wonderful!RosalieDined on 9/24/2014We look forward to our visit to Whispers when in Spring Lake. Food, service and ambiance are wonderful. I highly recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedjrfinrDined on 9/23/2014This was our second visit to the Spring Lake area. After hearing about Whispers from several sources & looking at Yelp, we decided to give them a try. On the positive side, the waitstaff couldn't have been more pleasant & accomodating. However, my wife & I both had a fish entree. My wife;s Halibut was dry & uneventful. I had the Chilean Sea Bass Bouillabaisse. The fish itself didn't taste fresh & for some reason, the chef saw fit to top it with some type of sauce? The broth from the saffron is usually enough for taste. This is pure speculation but I had the feeling that the chef was trying to cover up the lack of the fish freshness?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Really great food and service. BYO. Small, intimate, dining room. Okay, romantic.Special Features:
- ExcellentBobBDined on 9/20/2014Whispers just does it right. It never fails, each time we go, we comment haw our dining experience was excellent from top to bottom. That is rarely said in our reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014Very nice restaurant for a special occasion. It was out 25th anniversary. It was a Monday night so the restaurant was not very crowded. Great food and service was very good. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Very disapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014There were 12 tables taken on Sunday 9-14. There was only one server and an owner. After a few tables left, nobody cleared off the dirty tables. The owner left the poor lady server to handle everything. This is a very expensive restaurant. Obviously, it's quality is diminished, and we won't go back
- SpeciaSpecialDined on 9/11/2014We celebrated our friend's birthday at Whispers because it was such a special treat. The food and the presentation of the food was excellent although quite pricy. The BYOB was a plus. It is not a restaurant we would visit often, although we would if we could, because of the high prices. The service was great as our server couldn't be more attentive. It was a memorable night and I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- A GemPattycakeDined on 9/10/2014This was our first visit to Whispers. The food was excellent and the wait staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OllieDined on 9/7/2014Wonderful waitress!!!! Food is absolutely delicious. Very romantic. Nice place to bring a Dallas Cheerleader or an Argentinian soccer player if you are so lucky as to be dating such a person.Special Features:
- Beautiful and deliciousValdes22Dined on 9/6/2014We went to Whispers on a Saturday night at the end of summer. The food was delicious and the waitress just delightful. She was informative and attentive - without being a nuisance. Our table was in a small room in this Victorian gem with a few other diners. The only complaint I have is there was a large table with a baby in attendance, who was very loud. When the parents finally started taking the child out for a walk the volume level in the place became acceptable. I don't know how the restaurant can stress that infants are not welcome, but maybe they should, or maybe there should be a special room for people with children as the town is a family resort area.Special Features:
- a night outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2014I loved the Reidel stemware. This is our third time there, and I think the uniqueness has worn off. The noise level was louder this time, and someone (maybe the manager/owner) from the kitchen was (grand)standing two tables from us, and was loud and disturbing. I think he was making the rounds to visit tables, but when he reached this table, he was an unwanted noise. Our waitress seemed hurried and hassled. Otherwise, we enjoyed the food and wine (which we brought).Special Features:
- DisappointedVIPDined on 8/31/2014Service was spotty, but we weren't in a rush. The staff was, however, professional and very nice. The tomato and burrata appetizer was quite good with local tomatoes and excellent burrata. However, the house specialty lobster dish was heavy with mashed potatoes and a crab cake that was more bread crumbs than crab and had a fishy flavor. It was quite a disappointing composition. The lobster was overtaken by the other components.
- OutstandingCatmanDined on 8/29/2014Excellent food, romantic ambience and awesome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionmarepoVIPDined on 8/29/2014This was our second year coming to this restaurant as we stayed at attached B & B. Food is remarkable, service impeccable, can not recommend highly enough! It is the best fine dining at the Jersey shore for sure...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014This place is one of the best places I have been to in recent years.Special Features:
- great dinnerenjoydiningoutVIPDined on 8/27/2014My wife and I enjoyed both the food and service. Even the wines were good as although they were NJ wines they were made from both NJ and California grapes. The menu was unique and the food prepared exceptionally. Servers know the menu well and explained the dishes. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect MealPavlovaDined on 8/27/2014We had a great dining experience...menu and specials were all very appetizing, and our meals were perfectly prepared and served prepared exactly as requested. Our server was exceptional...very accomodating and knowlegable about the menu. It was a delightful eperience. We dwere seated next a party of 6 who were celebrating a birthday, and they were very exuberant about their party....it made for a lively and noisey dinner, but it did not spoil our dinner. We would have preferred to have been seated in the quieter room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhispersFunkyFredVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great restaurant and food... only negative was we were in the small room which we loved until they put in two real noisy groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2014This is a lovely restaurant, elegant, peaceful, quiet, the kind that is not easy to find in Manhattan. And the cuisine is a good as many in the city. We thought the food would be more complicated and fussy, but it was not exaggerated or pretentious. I shared a salad with my husband and had perfectly cooked rack of lamb over orzo and vegetables, while my husband had a thick veal chop with spinach that wasn't overwhelming the way it often is in Italian restaurants. We don't eat desserts, but we will next time. It was just a delightful, satisfying evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious dinner at a quaint placemydiningDined on 8/20/2014Best dinner we had all week. The food was cooked perfect to our taste from the apps through desert. The ambiance was nice and quaint. A bit loud at times as more people filled the tables. The staff was friendy and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect.Stacysmom2Dined on 8/20/2014This was a perfect dining experience. The service was wonderful, from the hostess to our waitpersons. It is a beautifully appointed dining room with a view of well-manicured lawns and homes. And the food could not have been better. The chef's specialty is swordfish which was cooked to perfection as was the salmon with mustard sauce. The special dessert was a blueberry plum crisp with vanilla ice cream and was delectable. BTW, the portions are generous and the prices are fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Shore DelightLogisticianVIPDined on 8/18/2014As always, Whispers knows how to please. Its ambience is outstanding and its food is exquisitely prepared and presented, from the first to the last course. This time however, the service I have to rate as only very good as it was uneven. More attention was given to certain tables than others. (Due to some being regulars?). As a result we had to wait for our table to be cleared, orders taken, etc. This was highly unusual for this restaurant. It will not prevent us however from returning.Special Features:
- Not what it used to be . . .jspressVIPDined on 8/18/2014For nearly 20 years, Whispers has been our choice for celebrating my mother's birthday. This year the restaurant has a new chef, and the food was still good, but not outstanding as in the past. The menu is more limited. For example, there were 6 appetite choices—4 seafood, 1 cheese, and 1 vegan—but nothing with meat. The service was very slow, taking our party of 6 nearly 3 hours for apps, mains, and dessert—too long for a Monday night! And I let the restaurant know TWICE that it was my mother's birthday, but there was no candle in her dessert or even a "Happy Birthday" from the servers. And then, after all these years, the restaurant decides to add a 20% service charge to the bill. We will go elsewhere for my mom's birthday next year.Special Features:
- eeeehhhhOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014It was extremely noisy, my lobster was rubbery and crabcake was mush I would not eat here againSpecial Features:
- Terrific BYOBOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Fine dining on the NJ shore. Lobster special amazing. Service was outstanding as well (our server was Andrew)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodLewMDined on 8/10/2014The food and the service were superb! The Halibut evening special and a menu option of Swordfish were perfectly prepared and delicious. The decor needs to be updated and an outdoor seating option on the porch would make for a 5 star experience. This restaurant is BYO which makes it very appealing. Our complements to the chef!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Unfortunately, our experience didn't match the great reviews we read online. We sat in the quieter, smaller room. There was a large group in the other room (or at least the noise level made it appear to be a large group); our server spent a lot of time servicing that room. My husband and I both felt overlooked at times, especially after our entrees were served. She never came back to check on our meal, which I feel is pretty standard with high-level restaurants. His medium steak was overcooked and my swordfish was bland except for the olives that were a part of the dish. The shared appetizer of burrata was delicious but I would still hesitate to recommend this place to others. Sorry...
- Very Goodbenton1220VIPDined on 8/8/2014We had an early dinner here on Friday night. We got to sit in our favorite table. We had the Mozzarella Burrata to start, then I had butter lettuce salad and as a vegetarian, I had a mixture of the sides in a nice entrée. I had the plum and blueberry clobber for dessert. My DH had the tuna which he said was excellent. Overall a excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmet foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014The service and food at this restaurant is excellent. It has a lovely atmosphere as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LauraVIPDined on 8/3/2014There is only a limited wine list and the selection was not very good. Extending the list or providing a full bar would be a good additionl. The food was very good.Special Features:
- A Spring Lake beautiful staple!!TrishDined on 8/3/2014The entire experience was wonderful. Quiet, relaxing atmosphere. Sweet, friendly & accommodating wait staff. Perfectly prepared meals. On a Sunday night it was very busy but not frenetic! Vegetarian options would have been a bonus for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner 8-1-2014DougDined on 8/1/2014Appertisers were excelent, Swordfish was over cooked, and soft shell crads were also excelent Service was very goodSpecial Features:
- ArneDined on 7/31/2014Excellent food ,service and ambiance. However, no liquor license is major negative factor. I seldom order chicken, but mine was superb, succulent and seasoned just right. My guest had the salmon...coked to perfection. Our dessert of mixed berries, was the icing on the cake!Special Features:
- KatieDined on 7/29/2014Whispers was an excellent restaurant. The service was outstanding. The food and the presentation was great. The noise level was high. It's a great Place for a Saturday night dinner. The wine list was small but you can bring your own bottle which is great. All in all a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back.TravelerDined on 7/26/2014Whispers is a small gem in a lovely hotel setting. It has it's own entrance and easy parking. The entire staff was wonderful. The food service was top notch and the food was inventive and great. We had a wonderful time and would go back in a heart beat. It is the rare restaurant that does not serve alcohol but allows you to bring your own wine and they happily serve it at your table. The atmosphere is welcoming with just the right level of noise. Thanks Whispers for such a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Rarity at the shoreBentleyGTCSpeedDined on 7/25/2014After a while, you get tired of boardwalk food and shellfish bars. Whispers provides a lovely setting in an old inn. The menu is relatively small but is compensated by superb dishes and diversity: soft-shell crab, rack of lamb, steak. They have some New Jersey wine, but you're well advised to bring your own, not unusual at shore restaurants. They spread their seating so that the service is very attentive, and management does everything possible to respond to requests and make you comfortable. I'd like to see more of a uniform dress code (everything now from jackets to shorts and loud shirts, dresses to casual jeans). Parking can be difficult, meaning a couple of blocks of walking. But Whispers is well worth the effort and is a gem.Special Features:
- 49th Anniversary DinnerBuscoBobDined on 7/24/2014Whispers is very small and they have the maximum number of table settings that they could possibly have in their main dining room; so it is very cramped and very noisy. It appeared to us that Whispers was a staple for the senior local residents. The wait staff is good but not great. My wife's place setting was short a fork; she requested some ice and the waiter forgot. We did not take advantage of their BYOB option and should have; we purchased a bottle of a New Jersey Pinot Grigio which was just okay. The entres that we ordered were good but no WOW factors. I was looking for a special place for our special date and Whispers turnout to not be that place.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2014We went for our anniversary and had forgotten how special Whispers is. The waitstaff was attentive, the food was wonderful and the value fine. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealRichDined on 7/20/2014My wife and I have eaten here a number of times and have always enjoyed our experience. The meal we had the other night was even more exceptional than usual. We'll keep coming back when we're in Spring Lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.