200 Monmouth Ave.
Spring Lake, NJ 07762Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.whispersrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7329749755x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Richard Krug
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Fireplace, Private Room
- Catering: Contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Facilities: No parties larger than 8 accepted on weekends.
- Private Party Contact: Nicholas Bruno 7329749755x
A word from Whispers
Located inside the historic Hewitt-Wellington Hotel. Whispers has a Victorian feeling to it with crystal chandeliers, silver service, white linen table coverings and elegant fine dining. Whispers serves modern American food with an creative touch. Featuring select wines from Old York Cellars as well as the BYOB option.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Whispers - Best Restaurants in Spring Lake ›
Whispers reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (70)romantic (57)fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (32)scenic view (6)great for brunch (5)good for groups (4)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Perfect MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We had a great dining experience...menu and specials were all very appetizing, and our meals were perfectly prepared and served prepared exactly as requested. Our server was exceptional...very accomodating and knowlegable about the menu. It was a delightful eperience. We dwere seated next a party of 6 who were celebrating a birthday, and they were very exuberant about their party....it made for a lively and noisey dinner, but it did not spoil our dinner. We would have preferred to have been seated in the quieter room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2014This is a lovely restaurant, elegant, peaceful, quiet, the kind that is not easy to find in Manhattan. And the cuisine is a good as many in the city. We thought the food would be more complicated and fussy, but it was not exaggerated or pretentious. I shared a salad with my husband and had perfectly cooked rack of lamb over orzo and vegetables, while my husband had a thick veal chop with spinach that wasn't overwhelming the way it often is in Italian restaurants. We don't eat desserts, but we will next time. It was just a delightful, satisfying evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious dinner at a quaint placemydiningDined on 8/20/2014Best dinner we had all week. The food was cooked perfect to our taste from the apps through desert. The ambiance was nice and quaint. A bit loud at times as more people filled the tables. The staff was friendy and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect.Stacysmom2Dined on 8/20/2014This was a perfect dining experience. The service was wonderful, from the hostess to our waitpersons. It is a beautifully appointed dining room with a view of well-manicured lawns and homes. And the food could not have been better. The chef's specialty is swordfish which was cooked to perfection as was the salmon with mustard sauce. The special dessert was a blueberry plum crisp with vanilla ice cream and was delectable. BTW, the portions are generous and the prices are fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Shore DelightLogisticianVIPDined on 8/18/2014As always, Whispers knows how to please. Its ambience is outstanding and its food is exquisitely prepared and presented, from the first to the last course. This time however, the service I have to rate as only very good as it was uneven. More attention was given to certain tables than others. (Due to some being regulars?). As a result we had to wait for our table to be cleared, orders taken, etc. This was highly unusual for this restaurant. It will not prevent us however from returning.Special Features:
- Not what it used to be . . .jspressVIPDined on 8/18/2014For nearly 20 years, Whispers has been our choice for celebrating my mother's birthday. This year the restaurant has a new chef, and the food was still good, but not outstanding as in the past. The menu is more limited. For example, there were 6 appetite choices—4 seafood, 1 cheese, and 1 vegan—but nothing with meat. The service was very slow, taking our party of 6 nearly 3 hours for apps, mains, and dessert—too long for a Monday night! And I let the restaurant know TWICE that it was my mother's birthday, but there was no candle in her dessert or even a "Happy Birthday" from the servers. And then, after all these years, the restaurant decides to add a 20% service charge to the bill. We will go elsewhere for my mom's birthday next year.Special Features:
- eeeehhhhOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014It was extremely noisy, my lobster was rubbery and crabcake was mush I would not eat here againSpecial Features:
- Terrific BYOBOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Fine dining on the NJ shore. Lobster special amazing. Service was outstanding as well (our server was Andrew)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodLewMDined on 8/10/2014The food and the service were superb! The Halibut evening special and a menu option of Swordfish were perfectly prepared and delicious. The decor needs to be updated and an outdoor seating option on the porch would make for a 5 star experience. This restaurant is BYO which makes it very appealing. Our complements to the chef!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Unfortunately, our experience didn't match the great reviews we read online. We sat in the quieter, smaller room. There was a large group in the other room (or at least the noise level made it appear to be a large group); our server spent a lot of time servicing that room. My husband and I both felt overlooked at times, especially after our entrees were served. She never came back to check on our meal, which I feel is pretty standard with high-level restaurants. His medium steak was overcooked and my swordfish was bland except for the olives that were a part of the dish. The shared appetizer of burrata was delicious but I would still hesitate to recommend this place to others. Sorry...
- Very Goodbenton1220VIPDined on 8/8/2014We had an early dinner here on Friday night. We got to sit in our favorite table. We had the Mozzarella Burrata to start, then I had butter lettuce salad and as a vegetarian, I had a mixture of the sides in a nice entrée. I had the plum and blueberry clobber for dessert. My DH had the tuna which he said was excellent. Overall a excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmet foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014The service and food at this restaurant is excellent. It has a lovely atmosphere as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LauraVIPDined on 8/3/2014There is only a limited wine list and the selection was not very good. Extending the list or providing a full bar would be a good additionl. The food was very good.Special Features:
- A Spring Lake beautiful staple!!TrishDined on 8/3/2014The entire experience was wonderful. Quiet, relaxing atmosphere. Sweet, friendly & accommodating wait staff. Perfectly prepared meals. On a Sunday night it was very busy but not frenetic! Vegetarian options would have been a bonus for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner 8-1-2014DougDined on 8/1/2014Appertisers were excelent, Swordfish was over cooked, and soft shell crads were also excelent Service was very goodSpecial Features:
- ArneDined on 7/31/2014Excellent food ,service and ambiance. However, no liquor license is major negative factor. I seldom order chicken, but mine was superb, succulent and seasoned just right. My guest had the salmon...coked to perfection. Our dessert of mixed berries, was the icing on the cake!Special Features:
- KatieDined on 7/29/2014Whispers was an excellent restaurant. The service was outstanding. The food and the presentation was great. The noise level was high. It's a great Place for a Saturday night dinner. The wine list was small but you can bring your own bottle which is great. All in all a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back.TravelerDined on 7/26/2014Whispers is a small gem in a lovely hotel setting. It has it's own entrance and easy parking. The entire staff was wonderful. The food service was top notch and the food was inventive and great. We had a wonderful time and would go back in a heart beat. It is the rare restaurant that does not serve alcohol but allows you to bring your own wine and they happily serve it at your table. The atmosphere is welcoming with just the right level of noise. Thanks Whispers for such a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Rarity at the shoreBentleyGTCSpeedDined on 7/25/2014After a while, you get tired of boardwalk food and shellfish bars. Whispers provides a lovely setting in an old inn. The menu is relatively small but is compensated by superb dishes and diversity: soft-shell crab, rack of lamb, steak. They have some New Jersey wine, but you're well advised to bring your own, not unusual at shore restaurants. They spread their seating so that the service is very attentive, and management does everything possible to respond to requests and make you comfortable. I'd like to see more of a uniform dress code (everything now from jackets to shorts and loud shirts, dresses to casual jeans). Parking can be difficult, meaning a couple of blocks of walking. But Whispers is well worth the effort and is a gem.Special Features:
- 49th Anniversary DinnerBuscoBobDined on 7/24/2014Whispers is very small and they have the maximum number of table settings that they could possibly have in their main dining room; so it is very cramped and very noisy. It appeared to us that Whispers was a staple for the senior local residents. The wait staff is good but not great. My wife's place setting was short a fork; she requested some ice and the waiter forgot. We did not take advantage of their BYOB option and should have; we purchased a bottle of a New Jersey Pinot Grigio which was just okay. The entres that we ordered were good but no WOW factors. I was looking for a special place for our special date and Whispers turnout to not be that place.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2014We went for our anniversary and had forgotten how special Whispers is. The waitstaff was attentive, the food was wonderful and the value fine. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealRichDined on 7/20/2014My wife and I have eaten here a number of times and have always enjoyed our experience. The meal we had the other night was even more exceptional than usual. We'll keep coming back when we're in Spring Lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing from start to finish!!luvgoodfdDined on 7/20/2014A very fine restaurant enjoyed last weekend! Rarely do my husband and I dine in New Jersey where we a) love all the offerings on the menu and b) love everything from appetizer to dessert. I started with the lobster crepe which was overflowing with lobster (absolutely delicious), my husband had the special scallop appetizer (equally enjoyed) then we each had a salad. Mine the special baby kale with watermelon (I could eat this every day for the rest of my life!), his the baby arugula; excellent. Main course: I had the sushi grade tuna (I believe was a special offering?) and my husband had the Chilean Sea Bass. Both incredible! Dessert-flourless chocolate cake and blueberry plum crumble!! Everyone we know will hear about Whispers!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemFoodieDined on 7/17/2014Having dined on numerous occasions , every visit to this gem is a pleasure. Service, food preparation and selection is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TuesdayLobsterloversDined on 7/15/2014Had a delicious meal with my wife. Delectable grilled octopus starter and lobster special(shelled over crab cake, spinach and whipped potato was rich and satisfying. Beautiful plating with friendly and respectful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world charmDoc255VIPDined on 7/13/2014Great food in a wonderful setting. BYOB so you can bring your favorite wine or pick one from the winery they have an association with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousNancyDancyDined on 7/6/2014I will say that the food was incredible. However their wine list as very disappointing and only had wines by the bottle and from one nj winery. I suggest you do the permitted BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner with FamilyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/4/2014The Lobster from the daily special were very good. All of us enjoyed the dinner and the dessert.Special Features:
- Elegant like Spring LakeTheDinerVIPDined on 7/4/2014When you are up for fine dining and NYC level service, almost, then Whispers is the place. Fine china and white linen tablecloths, you'll feel transported to an earlier simpler erra. Leave the smartphone at home and think about the shore of the past. And the food is excellent. Pastry chef also out did him or herself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a findAsburyRestaurantChickDined on 7/3/2014Went for date night. Quiet inside although the ambience is a little dated. I was happy with their NJ wine selection. Food was SO on point (except we both thought the burr blanc sauce was super salty). I'm still dreaming about the cookie dough cake dessert and the ahi spec! Our server definitely opened our bottle of wine ON the table and didn't allow either of us to taste it first, but he said he was new so it was forgivable. Firing of courses was great- we weren't rushed and we weren't waiting too long, either. I asked for a latte but was informed that they push a button on a machine (as opposed to using a true capp machine), so no foam wasn't an option; however, it still tasted yummy, so I got over that, too. All in all, a gem of a find :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentjackscriticDined on 6/29/2014We had the lazy lobster which was superb. It was $45.00 but we are from NY so that was cheap. Highly recommend. We also had the halibut and that was great. We brought our own wine which was nice. The waiter was friendly and helpful. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellentcdreidVIPDined on 6/29/2014Dinner was great as always. New server was super attentive. It was a terrific meal No complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marciamarciaVIPDined on 6/28/2014Dinner was delicious as always. It's a very pretty atmosphere and very inviting to share special occassions as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyBirthdayDinnerDined on 6/27/2014The resturant was lovely......the table was set with crystal and china. A special occasion resturant. The food was amazing. We had the lobster special and a steak special. Both were truely delicious. Our servers were very attentive and polite. Would definitely return to this resturant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2014Friendly service. Excellent food! Romantic ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- todineforVIPDined on 6/21/2014Poor service.Food not up to par.Did not honor request for main dining room.Would not go back.Special Features:
- luvelegance4meDined on 6/21/2014I was very disappointed in our recent visit to Whispers. I recall a more elegant dining experience, which this was not. Flip flops, shorts etc We were looking for an elegant date night experience. The service was very slow, one server rushing around perspiring my salad was not brought with my husband's so I said forget it. In this area and in the past they did require at least jackets for men. Way tooooocasual. I realize this is the Jersey Shore, but where is the fine dining?
- Limited menu but excellent foodMCBachDined on 6/21/2014The menu had a lot of fish choices(I am not complaining about that) but none of them appealed to me. They did have a lobster special which was fantastic. They also give a lot of food. We will def be back!Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceRMiskDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary at Whispers this past Saturday evening. The service was spectacular and the food was superb! It's a little on the pricey side but well worth it. Highly recommend dining here just book early it fills up quickly especially on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectrichhealthlinkDined on 6/13/2014Just celebrated our 27th anniversary at Whispers as we do every year - The food, service, and room are all perfect and we have never had a bad meal in all these years. - Rich & MaryellenSpecial Features: