1517 Anderson Street
Vancouver, BC V6H 3R5Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.whet.ca/
- Phone: 6046960739
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Northwest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine Bar
A word from Whet: kitchen.bar.patio
Located at the Gateway to Granville Island, WHET: kitchen. bar. patio, is Vancouver's newest eating, drinking, and viewing experience. At WHET we focus on using local and organic ingredients in everything we do: Oceanwise seasonal seafoods and Granville island market ingredients like oyama sausage, artesian cheese, island baked breads, and market fresh herbs and spices. We combine a sophisticated seasonal menu with a relaxed atmosphere and panoramic view. Our libations consist of contemporary and modern wine and cocktail offerings which have been created, sourced and refined with a careful mind to stay true to our philosophy of using fresh, vibrant flavours and pairings. We have a wide craft beer selection of both local & international draught and bottled favourites. WHET is open late every night of the week for a glass of wine or cocktail after a show, a late dinner after taking in a famous Granville Island play, or a night out with friends in our cozy and vibrant lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Whet: kitchen.bar.patio - Best Restaurants in Granville Island ›
Whet: kitchen.bar.patio reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (25)scenic view (23)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (8)fit for foodies (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Great spot, needs more GF options!AllergicinBbyDined on 8/16/2014Beautiful location right on the water; sitting on the deck was great! My table was immediately beside the host's desk, which was a little odd, but didn't overly detract. With my plethora of food allergies, I ended up ordering the Cajun Chicken Salad, which was tastey, if slightly small for an entree. I was still hungry afterwards, but no desserts that I can eat. I'm a bit surprised that no gluten-free bread was available. Lots of places have gluten-free buns these days and I get tired of ordering salad. Overall, staff were friendly and helpful, and the place is a great location if you're going to see some improv afterwards!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Came to eat after the Arts Club show because of the 15% discount (thank you!). Staff were exceptionally friendly and attentive. Great selection of beers/ales which was a huge plus. Food selection was good, our choices were served promptly and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice for familyWashClarksVIPDined on 8/6/2014We had 7:30 tickets to the improv (next door) and Whet has a great balanced menu that appealed to both adult and my kids (14 & 10yrs.) The atmosphere was energetic music was a bit loud but appropriate for a happy hour. Jambalaya was perfectly spiced, and my 14 year old loved here Thai Chicken Rice Bowl. In all a great evening kicked off with a great dinner experience.Special Features:
- WhetCWGHVIPDined on 7/31/2014With the doors open wide, the inside seating gets the outside feel to the boat slips.. Nice Vancouver feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great salmon burgerNicoleVIPDined on 7/31/2014I had it with fries. The bun was great at the beginning but soggy at the end and I had to use a fork to finish. I had it with the clam chowder which was very good.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, food needs workWhitesandbeachDined on 7/25/2014We went there to celebrate my friend's birthday and although the location was superb and option of patio seating was desirable for the summer, I would think twice about returning because the food needs to be improved. I ordered their steak and lobster special, and the food came out cold with coagulated globs of what was supposed to be sauce on the steak. The mini lobster was overcooked and cold, so texture was rubbery. All that for $35. For the price, I was not asking for spectacular, but at least something half decent. Despite the dismal failure in their entrée, their cocktails were good. I really liked the strawberry mojito in particular.Special Features:
- Almost all goodKoalabearVIPDined on 7/22/2014First,the bad....2 of our party of 3 checked in and were seated on the deck;I advised my sister was joining us very soon.When she arrived she was told we weren't there and was seated elsewhere while we stewed.Evenually she looked around and found us,but we lost 40 minutes in ordering and had a rush to get to the Art's Club.After sincere apologies the service was very good,and they served us as quickly as possible.We all enjoyed our meal and the help choosing (and first tasting) the wine was appreciated.We will return for the location,service and good food-albeit not cheap!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014Our group of six had a great experience with great food. Our waiter was exceptional, made the dinner even better! We all ordered different things, and had not one complaint! Expect that we'll all be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad rice bowlOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014it was fun but never, never order the thai peanut rice bowl! disgusting!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent servicecattDined on 5/31/2014WE had wonderful server, she was happy energetic and never missed a beat. There were 15 of us and a baby so I was very impressed at her patience and the fact that she was so attentive! I would go again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whet with a viewweeskyeDined on 5/13/20145 gals decided it was time to visit Granville Island for a bit of shopping, dinner and a play. Whet was recommended, and I'm glad that we went there. Sat on the patio and enjoyed the sun, wine and dinner. Waiter was attentive without being overly in our face. Food looked awesome and tasted just as good. Plenty for us. The waiter knew that we were on a time table for the play and we made it in plenty of time. Thanks Whet, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodHappyCamperDined on 5/10/2014The service was exellent and the food was definitely delicious. The calamari and truffle fries were proportionately sized the steak was cooked perfectly. Overall, it was a very enjoyable meal and experience for a Mother's Day dinner.Special Features:
- Great PatioNicoleDined on 5/2/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience here. The food was good, and the patio is really great. It was a rainy evening, but the heated patio kept us at a comfortable level while we dined. I've been here a few times and have enjoyed the experience every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 129 reviews are from the Whet: kitchen.bar.patio reviews archive.
- DisappointedDisappointmentDined on 4/29/2014Been to whet twice before and totally loved our dining experience , so wanted to share with family from hawaii and japan. Sadly disappointed and will never return. Food was just okay but Nothing else is good enough to mention. Not good! Unfortunately I will always remember the numerous flies in the outside dining area. Can't see that they will be in business much longer.Special Features:
- DisappointedMALIASDined on 4/26/2014Went for dinner, four of us in total, and we had the calamari which was so overfried, it was hard, and very oily, the tuna tataki which was just poor in flavor, the plate was watery, maybe because of the bed of cucumbers it was resting on but lacking all around. I had the salmon salad, which was again very bland, yes even for the salmon, not seasoned at all, everyone else was disappointed with their meals also. The fish tacos were a blend of fishes...hello, thats gross! Anyways will not be returning to Whet, even the beer and wine menu was lacking. Horrible food, should of went to the Keg or Sandbar...and it was dead in there.Special Features:
- Good Group DinnerHolidayingDined on 4/19/2014The 8 of us were looking for a casual dinner before heading off to the early show of Theatre Sports. Whet seemed to hit the spot. It is a nice open space with everyone able to enjoy the view out to the marinas of Granville Island. The menu had lots of variety to please everyone. The server, even though it was one of her first days was helpful and was not afraid to go and ask if we had any questions. We enjoyed sampling the great selection of micro-brews before dinner. The food was good and the prices were reasonable, for Granville Island. We all enjoyed our meals, but some more than others. tacos: not enough, mac and cheese/lobster: a little bland, muscles/frites were great, the Thai rice bowl, the steak sandwich and the jambalya were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor FoodelovesfoodDined on 3/1/2014It's comparable to a Milestone's or a Joey's that serves oysters. I didn't find the food any different from the restaurants mentioned above. I ordered the lobster mac and cheese and only found 4 little bites of lobster and not enough cheese. It was very bland. The atmosphere was dull and not very exciting. You think a restaurant would be bustling on a Saturday night, but not this one! And now I know why. Sadly I wouldn't go back there again.
- not so greatmamaDined on 2/15/2014I booked a table for a group of 16 year old girls for a sixteenth birthday party. I phoned in and talked to a hostess there and she said it would be a great place for them and that they would treat my daughter special. I told them i was bringing in a cake and they said that they would give her an appetizer on the house. One week later, i dropped off the cake, the manager also said, the girls would be treated specially, the sixteen year old would be treated to an appetizer. Well when the girls came home, that was not the story. She did not receive a special appetizer.The food portions were very small and just "ok" The waitress was condescending and overall the only thing that my daughter felt was great was the ambiance. We will not return.Special Features:
- Not badChrisDined on 2/14/2014The only problem was the serving. It was too small.Special Features:
- lovely experienceSammyDined on 2/1/2014We had a great time! The server was fantastic and the food was delicious. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came to visit for the DineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014We came to visit for the Dine Out Vancouver experience. Menu was great and portions were surprising decent! Our service was wry slow and we kept having to wave her down when we needed her. Food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat and get the f*ck outJoupaDined on 1/31/2014We weren't given adequate time to finish each course before the next one would be brought to the table. The server brought the bill to the table before asking if we were done. We were not done!!!!!!!I It felt like we were being pushed out the door. The were a few empty tables and booths so there was no need to rush us.
- Dine Out Vancouver 2014cxfoodxloveDined on 1/31/2014It was not very busy for a Friday night. Nothing that stood out to me enough to come back, place was alright.Special Features:
- DisappointingTinnyDined on 1/29/2014This restaurant used to be one of my favorite place. Their creme brûlée was THE BEST I've ever had (and trust me, I've tried many places, even expensive hotels and such, nowhere else came close!) and their strawberry salad was extremely yummy too! Extremely disappointed that they would take both of them off the menu. It's heartbreaking! The beet salad was ok, the steak was good but god the desserts was not up to par at all! I would urge the restaurant to have creme brûlée back!
- just okGordieDined on 1/29/2014food was average, not a place to go for special occasion. looks more like a pub/bar than a dining room
- Food was disappointingbennycDined on 1/28/2014I was in a party of 3, so we ordered all items on the Dine Out Vancouver Festival menu. Service was good but the food was very disappointing. Clam chowder - so much pepper that we had to return it Beet salad - good Crab cakes - good but tiny. It is the size of a toonie. lol Cioppino - nice sized mussels but soup base was too salty and thick Steak - this was cooked perfectly but it was too salty Deserts (Strawberry shortcake and flourless chocolate cake) - too much cream!Special Features:
- Dine Out Vancouver HitScubadoDined on 1/28/2014Food was great...well prepared and presented. Fresh ingredients, excellent pasta dishes and salmon cooked to perfection. Desert was wonderful....strawberry shortcake and the cake was made on site. Could have been better with a bit more strawberry. Wine list was extensive and beer was local and a great selection. Great views over the yachts on Granville Island. Will be sure to return to enjoy their patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time for Dine OutjennnDined on 1/28/2014Last year I came here for dine out and had a good experience so I decided to try it again since they changed the menu for this year. I always love their food and the service is really good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine Out EveningDotsGirlDined on 1/26/2014We enjoyed our night at Whet. The location is great and the restaurant is very open but warm. The size of meals was perfect. The only complaint was that our steak dinners were only warm not piping hot. The chocolate dessert was a big hit. The strawberry shortcake was short on strawberries. Overall a good experience. I would like to come back in the summer and sit on the patioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food (esp dessert)...but NOISYTheBlahBlahDined on 1/25/2014Our party of four enjoyed our Open Table dining experience at Whet. The service is very friendly and helpful, the food is fine. Raves for all three appetizers ordered from the Open Table menu (clam chowder, beet-based salad, and crab cakes), and the chocolate torte for dessert was really over-the-top outstanding! Entrees were good and nicely presented, just not memorable to the palate. Coffee is served in large mugs, much appreciated. Our group would have appreciated a quieter dining experience. Granted, most of the other guests appeared to be in the 20s-30s range and we are, ahem, a bit older than that . . . We were able to talk to each other but had to strain a bit to hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulSmith22Dined on 1/24/2014Had an awesome experience here! Great Service and wonderful food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine Out at WhetDanoDined on 1/24/2014Overall, we had a good dining experience. Nice atmosphere and the dine out menu offered good variety. Good service would come back again in the Summer to dine on the patio.Special Features:
- Dine Out GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/23/2014We had a great Dine Out experience at Whet. There was a bit of a mix-up as I think they were cutting servers at the time (our reso was for 9:00) but when ours arrived he was on the ball and we had a really great meal and experience. Thanks Shaughnessy for taking such good care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceMGY2Dined on 1/22/2014My girlfriend and I went to Whet as part of the Dine Out event and ordered off the dine out menu. The food was excellent, and unlike other Dine Out restaurants, the portions were actually filling. Our server Shaunessy was very personable and attentive. We would recommend Whet to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to hang out withFoodie128Dined on 1/22/2014Great place to hang out with friends. I would imagine this restaurant to be busier in the summer since it's by the water. The food for dine out Vancouver was decent. The crab cakes and the Cioppino was very tasty. If it was offered in their regular menu, I would order it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so great for DOVjeanscoDined on 1/22/2014Thought I'd try them for Dine Out Vancouver but... Clam chowder: good taste but nothing out of the ordinary Crab cakes: tiny and had a heavy cilantro taste which covered all the crab flavour Sirloin: good, but again, nothing out of the ordinary Stuffed salmon: the salmon was great, but it was stuffed with the crab cakes from the appetizer, the potato and salad on the side was good but was the same as the side that came with the sirloin Strawberry shortcake: the cake was two flattened pieces of cake that tasted a day old with strawberry sauce and vanilla ice cream Flourless chocolate torte: the taste was very rich but the texture was very stiff and it looked store-bought! also paired with the same strawberry sauce as the shortcake!
- disappointingFoodloveDined on 1/22/2014Perhaps I was disappointed because I had high expectations for their food (not sure why I did). Pretty comparable to Joey's or Cactus Club for food, atmosphere, service etc. Nice location, especially being on the water, but not worth going for the menu.Special Features:
- 3rd visit not the charmSpicyDined on 1/22/2014To be fair, I've been to WhetKitchen twice before. Service: consistently poor. This time, made reservations in advance, there were available lounge seats (rest were occupied by 2 people), still had to ask for one, hostess would not accommodate. Surcharge of 1.50 for "warm water" with or without lemon. Dine out Vancouver 2014: portions small, had 2 loony sized crab cakes and salmon stuffed with (very little) crab. Purported fine dining takes a drive when the salmon is coated with too much "mayonnaise/tartar" sauce. Scrape sauce away reveals lots of black pepper. Does their chef know how to cook fish? Waiter, mixed up order despite "confidence" of not writing it down. Fail. This place should be avoided.
- Dine out Vancouver menu at WhetHavovieDined on 1/21/2014The Menu sounded good, so I went to Whet with my mom. For an appetizer we ordered the Crab cakes, and the Beet salad. The dressing on the Crab Cakes was incredible! though, they were a little bigger than a Toonie! and we only got 2! would have liked to have had some more of that deliciousness! The beet salad was great as well. For dinner my mom had the steak and I had the Fish, the first piece of steak was just a bad cut, they were VERY accommodating and changed it out for her in a very fast and friendly way. The fish was incredibly smooth and well cooked! delicious! For desert we both had the dark chocolate torte which was one of the best I have tasted! I would definitely return even if its just for dessert! It was thick, dark, & richSpecial Features:
- Not all that.JawkneegreyhamDined on 1/20/2014The next attempt was during dine out Vancouver 2014. For the price, $29 it was okay for a 3 course meal. Neither myself nor my girlfriend liked our dishes which represented 2/3 of the menu. What we didn't like is they opted to charge us $1.50 for a warm glass of water, not hot water but warm water. We also did not appreciate how loud the table next to us was, the sever/host did not consider atleast going over to the table to politely ask them to keep their voices to a reasonable level. It was very disrespectful. We opted to leave early due to how loud the table was.