W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank
161 E. Freedom Way
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wgkitchen.com/
- Phone: 5137449463x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Corey Brown
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: WG features 2 private dining options.
First we have the "J Lohr" room, capable of accommodating up to 34.
Secondly, we have a smaller option, accommodating up to 6 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Massie 5137449463x
A word from W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank
WG Kitchen & Bar is a full service restaurant and bar, featuring a retail wine shop. In addition, guests can enjoy sitting on our patio, or reserve our private dining room, capable of seating up to 34!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (49)good for groups (34)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (22)great for outdoor dining (16)neighborhood gem (14)romantic (13)hot spot (13)great for lunch (12)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014We hosted a small dinner meeting for 6 and it was perfect. The food was fantastic. The service was good. It is comfortable and not stuffy but still had enough formality that was perfect for our business dinner. Everyone enjoyed the meal and picking wine from the wall. Portions are also nice size. Overall great experience and value excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The staff was extremely accommodating. We were in the main dining room where it was extremely loud and impossible to have conversation around the table. We asked to move to the back sound proof area. The staff accommodated us with a smile on their face. Our food was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience after the move.
- Lovely Evening!PleasedDined on 10/2/2014I stated in the comments section of the reservation that we were going to see a show at the Aronoff and asked the restaurant to let me know if our reservation time didn't allow enough time. Our waiter made mention of it when he brought our water and the menus and assured us he would make sure we were on time! He had great recommendations from the menu and the meal was wonderful! We each ordered something different and shared and thoroughly enjoyed everything. Our waiter was attentive without being a nuisance. The ambiance was lovely and the noise level perfect. I was disappointed for the restaurant that the restaurant wasn't even close to being half full. What a nice downtown neighborhood restaurant and bar!Special Features:
- staffing issueMendyVIPDined on 10/1/2014They were not ready for the onslaught of people in the downtown area for a Wednesday night concert. I blame management. We were seated fast but had to wait 20/minutes for our drinks and to order. This was not the servers fault but management not scheduling enough staff. The food was OK. I would not go back again.
- Great place for a meal or biteKjyoungVIPDined on 9/27/2014We have been to W.G. Both at the banks and in Rookwood numerous times and we are always pleased, service is attentive, food choices are many new they aim to please which is greatly appreciatedSpecial Features:
- Great dinner spotJw1693Dined on 9/26/2014Whether you're eating at the banks or in rookwood, you can't go wrong with WG. The flights of wine are excellent, and the food is delicious. A great spot to eat after work or before a game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateagjenniferDined on 9/23/2014The food and drinks are excellent. Our waiter was wonderful. We were celebrating two birthdays and everything was just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WG is greatThaddeusDined on 9/20/2014We love this place. Great menu and some great gluten free items. Food tastes great and the service is always sharp. Love the separated rooms if you can get one..it's like your own personal dining room but with a window on the street....which is always hopping in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedStevieDined on 9/13/2014Great food, service, and atmosphere. It is a bit noisy when big parties are there because the high ceilings - the noise carries VERY well throughout. We haven't been disappointed whenever we go to W.G. for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014After multiple visits to W.G. Kitchen and Bar at The Banks, this spot has become a go-to for dinners out with friends. Our Saturday night reservations went very smoothly and our table was ready upon arrival. I love the Salted Carmel Martini and it has become one of my all time favorite drinks. The waiter, Kareem(I hope that's correct), suggested I try the new Carmel Apple drink. It was delicious! We ordered the Meatball appetizer which is delicious. Next, I had the blackened scallops with steamed vegetables. Everything was piping hot and perfectly prepared. My husband loves picking out his own bottle of wine from the wine shop and bringing it back to the table. Kareem did a fabulous job and we had a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014An excellent experience. Wine selections were very good. Everyone's dish was well enjoyed. My wife said the Lobster Bisque was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014Our table had the salmon, steak and the mac & cheese. All cleaned their plates! Wide selection of wines and the suggestion was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, lively ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/30/2014I thought the food was good, and the service was excellent. My concern about returning is the noise level. It's pretty loud, making conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine but loudTomWDined on 8/29/2014Premium wine flight was good, but pricey. All the food we had was excellent as the 3 of us shared a little of each others plates (fillet, tuna steak, and house salad with shrimp). Service was good but the noise level very high. And no wonder, every surface...floor,walls, and ceiling...are hard. The dining experience would have been greatly enhanced if it had been quieter.Special Features:
- ACUBEDDined on 8/27/2014ambience is quaint, we had a going away luncheon for a team member, the noise level was perfect to talk and tell stories, the food was great, the service was none intrusive yet attentative enough that our glasses did not empty. great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WG @ the banks = my happy place!K8theGR8Dined on 8/26/2014Always great, reliable service and food! We will be back for sure - my favorite place at the Banks by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love2eatDined on 8/23/2014Great wine selection, good food, outstanding, attentive service
- Love the tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014We recently enjoyed meeting friends here and it is always fun to walk over and see the wine selections and pick out your wine by removing it from the Great Wall of wine. The tapas all hit the spot! We enjoyed hummus, mussels, a flat bread and the honey and ricotta cheese appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took a chanceBRohrDined on 8/14/2014We were visiting Cincinnati for a business event and stumbled across WG. Very friendly staff and a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but has been betteramoaventuraDined on 8/12/2014Hoping WG can eventually return to their previous awesomeness - seems like things have fallen off in the past several months. This visit, the service was spotty - nice enough servers but took a long time to order, receive food, and pay. Food was lukewarm once we got it. Love the wine, menu, and ambiance, though - just hoping they pull it together so that they're around for a long time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ran out of beerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Our family visited WG on Saturday evening Aug 9 for my son's 30th birthday. We order drinks and then a few minutes later the server came back and told my son that they were out of the beer he ordered. Commented that they served a lot of people pror to the Reds game. My son selected another beer, a few minutes later, same thing happened. We figured third time's a charm....same thing happened. He finally order a beer they had in stock. It was frustrating considering this isn't the first time there has been a Reds game on a Saturday. I ordered the chicken pot pie but it was nothing special; not nearly as good as Buckheads.
- Dinner with friendsSaturday9694Dined on 8/2/2014Once again we had a wonderful meal & service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Auburn84Dined on 7/29/2014I brought a group of New Yorkers and they were very complimentary and happy with the visit. They had never had never in a restaurant with a wine shop so to combine the two was amazing to them. Service is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Hope It Was an "Off" NightShadesofKDined on 7/21/2014My sister and I met here before going to the Bruno Concert at U.S. Bank. It was EXTREMELY crowded and uncomfortably hot. We waited about 45 minutes for our food, and for 20 of that 45 minutes, we were subjected to the loudest fire alarm I have ever heard. Conversation was impossible. And while the fire alarm wasn't actually going off for the restaurant, we found out it was in fact connected to the apartment buildings above it. We waited and waited for the fire department to arrive and shut it off. The entire experience was a disaster. The only saving grace was that the food was actually really good. It's definitely a stop for foodies, but eat outside and go in an off hour. I wouldn't recommend lunch or dinner time.Special Features:
- W.G. Kitchen and BarJT57VIPDined on 7/19/2014The place is packed on weekends when the Reds are in town. We went on a non-game day (although there was a concert in the area that was starting nearby an hour or so earlier), so it wasn't too crazy. Good food and drink. I don't know why they go by the name "W.G" instead of "Wine Guys"; you'd never know they have a good wine list by the name "W.G."Special Features:
- Food was awfulwineloverDined on 7/19/2014We went and had light appetizers and drinks on Saturday night. The appetizers were over priced for what you actually get. We did get the antipasti which had stale crackers, the meat was not a good selection and the cheese seemed dry. When we go to Morlein we always get their meat and cheese board and it is amazing and we thought that since we are at a Wine place they would have a good meat and cheese tray for $15.00, but it was not worth the money. The service was not good and drinks too way too long. If you have to go to the restroom forget about it, the line constantly hade 10 people or more in it when we were there for only an hour. I have been to Wine Guy at Rookwood and I would rather go to that one then the Banks.Special Features:
- Great Place!RoseDined on 7/18/2014Great place for a group. Love the small rooms. Food was delicious, good portions for great price. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Wine SelectionBKW0925Dined on 7/17/2014Very impressed with the wine selection! Food was great. Loved the warm pita and basil tomato cream cheese spread. Yummy. Added bonus on Thursdays and Mondays the corkage fee is waived!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to teach the helpDegoodmanVIPDined on 7/11/2014First off, the good. The food was outstanding, appetizers through desert. The menu had changed a lot since I was last here, and featured some nice summer dishes. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only gripe was as an establishment featuring wine, they need to educate their service staff on how to properly serve wine. It was clear no one had taken our guy through a proper opening, and threw him to the wolves. How to cut a foil, how to uncork a bottle, who gets the cork, who gets the sample, do you want new glasses when you change wines... Literally -0- for 10 on pouring etiquette. The guy was very nice, it was not a reflection on him at all, but he should have been better trained before getting thrown into the fray on Friday night.
- The following 190 reviews are from the W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank reviews archive.
- AMS13Dined on 6/23/2014We needed a spot to celebrate my mother's 75th birthday on a Monday night when many restaurants are closed. We had a terrific table and very responsive waitstaff. The quality of the food was the biggest surprise. All nine in our party said their food was outstanding, pretty impressive when the ages ranged from 7 to 75! Because it was a Monday night, there was no corkage fee. I was glad because I don't think we would have ordered a bottle of wine if there had been one. We would have had beer and cocktails instead. A very nice surprise!! We'll go back!Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/23/2014Our group of six had a private room which was very nice. I was glad we were not seated in the main restaurant as it was very noisy. The sound bounced all over the place, probably because there wasn't much hanging on the walls to absorb it. The décor was very bland and boring. The food was good, but not great. My macaroni & cheese dish was nothing special. The appetizers were better than the main dishes. Overall, it was just an average place with average food.Special Features:
- Gerry's ReviewRamseys4RemarksVIPDined on 6/21/2014We were pleasantly surprised at how good the food and service was. The spicy shrimp pasta was delicious as was the linguine with meatballs. I will recommend it to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!MelYizDined on 6/21/2014Another great meal at WG! Love the scallops! Waiter got one dinner steak wrong and had to redo.Special Features:
- Will eat here againDrZacharyDined on 6/20/2014Great service. Good wine list, amazing food... Slightly pricey, but worth it for the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much Better This TimeBobbyVIPDined on 6/9/2014Went to WG prior to Monday nights Reds game. Not much of a crowd which meant our meal turned out great. Everything was delicious and served as we've come to expect.Special Features:
- Good dinner after Reds gamePenniLoaferVIPDined on 6/7/2014W.G. came up as an option on Open Table, and we were quite pleased with dinner. The menu was eclectic enough to please everyone - my husband, our 15-year-old nephew and me. The service was efficient, our waitress was very pleasant, and the food was good. Would recommend to anyone visiting the area.Special Features:
- Ok but not greatMstacheVIPDined on 5/30/2014Went on friend's recommendation. Service was not great at all. Unlikely to return or recommend.Special Features:
- Great foodNeilDined on 5/30/2014The food was very good, but it was definitely on the noisy side. Highly recommended and will return in the future to explore more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesBenjiDined on 5/30/2014We had a great time catching up with old friends while dining on delicious food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- server issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/24/2014We were seated quick and our food was great. Server was the issue. She was very slow. We had to ask for silverware and get our own drink menu from another table. She didn't really explain much about the food so our appetizer was good, but not what we expected. Drinks didn't come until after food arrived. We don't fault the restaurant, but the server could use some training.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.