W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank
161 E. Freedom Way
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wgkitchen.com/
- Phone: 5137449463x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Corey Brown
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: WG features 2 private dining options.
First we have the "J Lohr" room, capable of accommodating up to 34.
Secondly, we have a smaller option, accommodating up to 6 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Massie 5137449463x
A word from W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank
WG Kitchen & Bar is a full service restaurant and bar, featuring a retail wine shop. In addition, guests can enjoy sitting on our patio, or reserve our private dining room, capable of seating up to 34!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (63)fit for foodies (39)good for groups (36)special occasion (34)great for outdoor dining (33)neighborhood gem (21)romantic (21)hot spot (17)great for lunch (16)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Took a chanceBRohrDined on 8/14/2014We were visiting Cincinnati for a business event and stumbled across WG. Very friendly staff and a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but has been betteramoaventuraDined on 8/12/2014Hoping WG can eventually return to their previous awesomeness - seems like things have fallen off in the past several months. This visit, the service was spotty - nice enough servers but took a long time to order, receive food, and pay. Food was lukewarm once we got it. Love the wine, menu, and ambiance, though - just hoping they pull it together so that they're around for a long time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ran out of beerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Our family visited WG on Saturday evening Aug 9 for my son's 30th birthday. We order drinks and then a few minutes later the server came back and told my son that they were out of the beer he ordered. Commented that they served a lot of people pror to the Reds game. My son selected another beer, a few minutes later, same thing happened. We figured third time's a charm....same thing happened. He finally order a beer they had in stock. It was frustrating considering this isn't the first time there has been a Reds game on a Saturday. I ordered the chicken pot pie but it was nothing special; not nearly as good as Buckheads.
- Dinner with friendsSaturday9694Dined on 8/2/2014Once again we had a wonderful meal & service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Auburn84Dined on 7/29/2014I brought a group of New Yorkers and they were very complimentary and happy with the visit. They had never had never in a restaurant with a wine shop so to combine the two was amazing to them. Service is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- W.G. Kitchen and BarJT57VIPDined on 7/19/2014The place is packed on weekends when the Reds are in town. We went on a non-game day (although there was a concert in the area that was starting nearby an hour or so earlier), so it wasn't too crazy. Good food and drink. I don't know why they go by the name "W.G" instead of "Wine Guys"; you'd never know they have a good wine list by the name "W.G."Special Features:
- Food was awfulwineloverDined on 7/19/2014We went and had light appetizers and drinks on Saturday night. The appetizers were over priced for what you actually get. We did get the antipasti which had stale crackers, the meat was not a good selection and the cheese seemed dry. When we go to Morlein we always get their meat and cheese board and it is amazing and we thought that since we are at a Wine place they would have a good meat and cheese tray for $15.00, but it was not worth the money. The service was not good and drinks too way too long. If you have to go to the restroom forget about it, the line constantly hade 10 people or more in it when we were there for only an hour. I have been to Wine Guy at Rookwood and I would rather go to that one then the Banks.Special Features:
- Great Place!RoseDined on 7/18/2014Great place for a group. Love the small rooms. Food was delicious, good portions for great price. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Wine SelectionBKW0925Dined on 7/17/2014Very impressed with the wine selection! Food was great. Loved the warm pita and basil tomato cream cheese spread. Yummy. Added bonus on Thursdays and Mondays the corkage fee is waived!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to teach the helpDegoodmanDined on 7/11/2014First off, the good. The food was outstanding, appetizers through desert. The menu had changed a lot since I was last here, and featured some nice summer dishes. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only gripe was as an establishment featuring wine, they need to educate their service staff on how to properly serve wine. It was clear no one had taken our guy through a proper opening, and threw him to the wolves. How to cut a foil, how to uncork a bottle, who gets the cork, who gets the sample, do you want new glasses when you change wines... Literally -0- for 10 on pouring etiquette. The guy was very nice, it was not a reflection on him at all, but he should have been better trained before getting thrown into the fray on Friday night.
- AMS13Dined on 6/23/2014We needed a spot to celebrate my mother's 75th birthday on a Monday night when many restaurants are closed. We had a terrific table and very responsive waitstaff. The quality of the food was the biggest surprise. All nine in our party said their food was outstanding, pretty impressive when the ages ranged from 7 to 75! Because it was a Monday night, there was no corkage fee. I was glad because I don't think we would have ordered a bottle of wine if there had been one. We would have had beer and cocktails instead. A very nice surprise!! We'll go back!Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/23/2014Our group of six had a private room which was very nice. I was glad we were not seated in the main restaurant as it was very noisy. The sound bounced all over the place, probably because there wasn't much hanging on the walls to absorb it. The décor was very bland and boring. The food was good, but not great. My macaroni & cheese dish was nothing special. The appetizers were better than the main dishes. Overall, it was just an average place with average food.Special Features:
- Gerry's ReviewRamseys4RemarksVIPDined on 6/21/2014We were pleasantly surprised at how good the food and service was. The spicy shrimp pasta was delicious as was the linguine with meatballs. I will recommend it to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!MelYizDined on 6/21/2014Another great meal at WG! Love the scallops! Waiter got one dinner steak wrong and had to redo.Special Features:
- Will eat here againDrZacharyDined on 6/20/2014Great service. Good wine list, amazing food... Slightly pricey, but worth it for the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much Better This TimeBobbyVIPDined on 6/9/2014Went to WG prior to Monday nights Reds game. Not much of a crowd which meant our meal turned out great. Everything was delicious and served as we've come to expect.Special Features:
- Good dinner after Reds gamePenniLoaferVIPDined on 6/7/2014W.G. came up as an option on Open Table, and we were quite pleased with dinner. The menu was eclectic enough to please everyone - my husband, our 15-year-old nephew and me. The service was efficient, our waitress was very pleasant, and the food was good. Would recommend to anyone visiting the area.Special Features:
- Ok but not greatMstacheVIPDined on 5/30/2014Went on friend's recommendation. Service was not great at all. Unlikely to return or recommend.Special Features:
- Great foodNeilDined on 5/30/2014The food was very good, but it was definitely on the noisy side. Highly recommended and will return in the future to explore more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesBenjiDined on 5/30/2014We had a great time catching up with old friends while dining on delicious food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- server issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/24/2014We were seated quick and our food was great. Server was the issue. She was very slow. We had to ask for silverware and get our own drink menu from another table. She didn't really explain much about the food so our appetizer was good, but not what we expected. Drinks didn't come until after food arrived. We don't fault the restaurant, but the server could use some training.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014great food, great service. we will gladly go back again and again. the staff were amazing, from manager down. top notch in my opinion.Special Features:
- Great Wine Variety & Gluten FreeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014Our second visit to W.G. Kitchen and Bar, and we were not disappointed in the variety of wines offered and a good menu selection of gluten free offerings. Only suggestion regarding the reservation system is for WGK to read the comment portion of the Open Table reservation. I requested a window table, but when seating us, we were not given one. There were window tables open. When we asked for a table by the window, they accommodated our request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day successOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014Had a great brunch for Mother's Day at WGB. Sat outside, had great service, and the food was amazing. Good drink specials too. Were really nice to our 4 and 8 year old as well. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DinnervpgaltVIPDined on 5/10/2014I like the WG in Rookwood so I decided to take Mom to this one as a new experience (The Banks). The restaurant is just too loud to have conversations at dinner. We had a privat-ish family table for Mother's Day and the large space just gets too loud when the restaurant is busy where you can barely hear the conversations going on next to you. Overall, the food was just good - we had charcuterie platter, 2 different burgers, strawberry salad, and meatball pasta. Salad was overdressed with a strong dressing and the meat was cooked correctly but uninspired in flavor. The WGs are known for the wine flights but they really need to figure out how to keep the white wine chilled for the slower drinkers.Special Features:
- DisappointingBobbyVIPDined on 5/10/2014We've been to W.G. numerous times and all previous visits were great. Not so this time. We went before a Reds game (which we've done before with no problems) and they were having difficulty meeting demand. My wife ordered the meatball appetizer and they arrived lukewarm at best. We never did get the pita bread and hummus that normally arrives upon being seated. Service was very slow. This is worrisome because W.G. was my favorite place on the Banks.Special Features:
- WG at the banksMelissaDined on 5/10/2014Nice outdoor seating while enjoying a delicious meal and watching the crowd for the reds game go by. Must try ricotta and honey appetizer, good meatballs and bruschetta! Inside was quiet for early evening but picked up by about 600pm. Lots of wines to try and buy!Special Features:
- Great Wine Great FoodwineloverDined on 5/9/2014We tried this for the first time and loved it! We even tried to come back later in the evening for another glass of wine it was that good! Service was fast and the staff was very friendly.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceWGis4uDined on 5/6/2014We had our annual customer conference downtown and WG was were I took my customers. We had a great time with great food and wine. We had a group of 8 and the service was top notch. The wine flowing and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Great lunch before the Red's gameWinoVIPDined on 5/4/2014We had a wonderful lunch before the Red's game. We loved sitting outdoors and people-watching.Special Features:
- Cant stay awaySteveDined on 5/3/2014Love the food and service, noisey at busy times so we just come down a little laterSpecial Features:
- Fabulous!new2cincyDined on 5/2/2014I had the burger with bacon/onion jam and it was amazing! My husband had the chicken marsala which was moist and delicious. I enjoyed my wine, and our friends who joined us enjoyed everything about their food as well. They had two children with them, and while there are not many options for kids, theirs shared a flat bread pizza.Special Features:
- Wonderful Happy HourThirstyGirlDined on 5/2/2014They have a happy hour from 3:30-6:30 at their bar, so we decided to sit at the bar, which also serves food. The food was excellent, had the Spicy Shrimp Pasta and Hanger Steak small plate, and we were very happy with them. Thanks to the great happy hour pricing, we were able to try 3 wine flights and 3 different cocktails, all of which were excellent. We had only planned to drink with dinner, but stayed longer because we were having such a fun time. We did have a little trouble getting our last round because it was so busy, the bartender we had was sweating as he ran all over the place! They might consider getting an extra bartender for Friday evenings, but it was still a wonderful time, hope to come back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great settingTKInternationalTravelerDined on 4/29/2014We booked the restaurant for a business dinner and the restaurant has good isolated table suitable for secret discussion. The wine collection is also impressive so that I am sure we can find suitable wines for any occasion and any meal.Special Features:
- great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014place was very busy. food was delicious and service was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 for early dinnerDineoutoftenDined on 4/26/2014Seated on time for early reservation. Our server only worked part time and the spotty service showed her lack of table time. While entrees were all served as ordered the side dishes lacked flavor and we're not prepared well. Under cooked or poor quality, especially asparagus, one of our favorites usually. This was our first time at Banks location, but have dined at Rookwood several times with better results. We might go back if we need to eat on Banks but other location was better overall.Special Features:
- Great Date SpotSciGuyDined on 4/26/2014On a friend's recommendation, my wife and I checked out WG for our Anniversary dinner. We arrived at 6PM to a light crowd, but within 30 minutes it was packed, so make sure you get a reservation if you're planning on anything later. We were lucky enough to get some rare Cincinnati Spring weather, so we opted to sit outside and people watch. The patio area is well lit in the early evening, but shaded from direct sunlight. As for the wine, you can't go wrong with anything you pick. We shared 2 flights of red wines, and loved them both, but the Italian Red flight definitely stood out. The food was great too, and the selection made it difficult to decide on what to order. Our waitress was very friendly and prompt. Overall, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WGtree127Dined on 4/25/2014The food was great we were placed at a very small table and it was extremely nosey to the point where you could barely hold a conversation. Service was excellent would definitely go back but would try for a table outside the main dining area.Special Features:
- Group DinnerKelMonOhDined on 4/25/2014We had a party of 10 and the service was good. A little slow but considering the size of the group the service was fine. We had no issues with food orders. Everything came out as ordered and tasted very good. The steak I got was a little cool and should have ordered something else off the menu considering Ruth's Chris is across the street. The Talipa was good as was the samon, burgers, etc. I would visit again, but it is not at the top of my list of places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 161 reviews are from the W.G. Kitchen and Bar – River Bank reviews archive.
- Dining spot at the BanksDowntownDemocratDined on 4/20/2014Our family gathered on Easter for dinner at WG. I was happy simply not to have to cook! But I am pleased to say everyone enjoyed their meal just as much (or maybe more than) they would've if they'd gathered at home. Some of us ordered a wine flight and had fun comparing the choices. We each ordered something different and were very pleased with our choices. Salads are huge, fresh and tasty. We sat at a large window and enjoyed watching neighborhood folks with their dogs as well as local celebrities walk by. This was not my first visit to WG and we will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.